• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

It has come to my attention that some users may have been abusing the reputation system, possibly creating alternate accounts just so they can vote up their own posts and downvote those of others. Plus certain users have been targets for abuse just for laughs. Currently I have turned the system off, but I could turn it back on, and possibly only allow positive voting. That would at least limit the latter type of abuse. What do you think?

Also, I've created a new skin for the Nova Refuge board:
http://forums.saber-...php?showforum=4 (mostly finalized)
And the Wulfgard board:
http://forums.saber-...php?showforum=5 (still a work in progress; I want to add more grey)

Feel free to provide feedback on these here.

Finally, since the smilies do not look good on the NR skin's black background, I started making some new smilies with a LEGO-oriented theme. Let me know what you think so far:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I still need to figure out how to make animations in Adobe...

Anyway, let me know what you think!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#2 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

Since we're a composite construction of sarcasm, we're gonna need a rolls-eye smilie. :P

The backgrounds are awesome actually. Why not a different one for each section? Eh, it's probably a bit excessive, but the changes are nice.

giphy.gif

#3 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

I'm currently using the Wulfgard skin now, I must say. I love it. GREEEEN! YEEEESSSSSSS SOOOOOTHING GREEEEEN!

An idea for cutting down vote-trolling is to decrease the amount of votes that one can do in a 24 hour period. Wasn't the last one something like 10 - 15 of either a day? You could make it five of each.

Also, if someone is a known vote-troller (Like what happened to Anasazi, beyong you average post disapprovement), would it be possible to temporarly restrict the voteing for that member? Or reset their rep to zero?

I don't think that a positive only rep system would do much good however. If someone made a alt-acount again, then their reps would shoot up with nothing to check them.

I've inserted my two cents into the topic-machine now.

#4 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

Whilst I certainly like the new skins (especially the Nova one), I'm feeling sad that the rep system is gone. It made me feel slightly less depressed when I saw that some people would occasionally like what I had to say. It made me feel needed :(

#5 Hippysheep

Hippysheep

Back From the Dead!

• 665 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

The smilies are awesome! Also you could make different skins for some other forums too. Like a lego one would be cool! :D

Posted Image

#6 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

I'm really liking the new skins, (I would probably like them a lot more if I actually had money with which to buy your books, but yeah..) and I did enjoy the reputation system. Just press the little green button whenever someones post makes me smile. And digging through my post list whenever I see I've gained some points to see which one was upvoted. I can say that I will miss it, but I also said that I don't have any money, so I think I can live with you revoking this feature on a website that I use for free.

#7 Dan FromtheGrave

Dan FromtheGrave

Yo dawg, I herd you like creepers...

• Banned
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

Although I used to be strongly against the voting system, now I think you should maybe bring it back with a restriction- instead of a specific number of votes per day, maybe make a specific number of votes on a user. For example, you can only downvote 'Mastercheef1364238' 10 times, and you can only upvote 'iiztehhaxxorz' 10 times. This would prevent alt-account upvoting and flaming somebody by putting them down super far.
I like the new skins though! Just wish I was a Nova member...

#8 Anasazi!

Anasazi!

FIRE IS MOTION. WORK IS REPITITION.

• 566 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

Whilst I certainly like the new skins (especially the Nova one), I'm feeling sad that the rep system is gone. It made me feel slightly less depressed when I saw that some people would occasionally like what I had to say. It made me feel needed :(

coughandtodownvotemecough

I think just having positive would be good, because people only abuse negative and just having positive would be a win-win for all.
Also: New Skin: THANK THE GODS. I need that stuff, I've gone to the archives just to experience the old skin.

Although I used to be strongly against the voting system, now I think you should maybe bring it back with a restriction- instead of a specific number of votes per day, maybe make a specific number of votes on a user. For example, you can only downvote 'Mastercheef1364238' 10 times, and you can only upvote 'iiztehhaxxorz' 10 times. This would prevent alt-account upvoting and flaming somebody by putting them down super far.

People could still abuse it, dude.
Cap'n Jazz & Tera Melos are the best bands ever ever.

#9 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

The only thing the rep system did was allow the most pure expression of the specific reason for the invention of the internet. Keep it gone.

#10 Dan FromtheGrave

Dan FromtheGrave

Yo dawg, I herd you like creepers...

• Banned
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

People could still abuse it, dude.

Well yaaaahh, but...

it would also make it so nobody would be incredibly far ahead or behind, as there are probably only 50 (?) very active members who would vote a post, and even less who would vote-spam

#11 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

When the rep system is here,you only hear complaints. When it's gone... you only hear complaints. I guess I'll just... complain. :P No, I'm fine with leaving it how it is. There's always someone that will feel bad because of other members misusing it. And I just hate it when people feel bad. But then again... there are many people more that feel happy when they see their +50. Which way do you want to look at it?

As far as the skins, I love them. Personally I think the Wulfgard one has a little too much green... or at least it's a bit too bright. Like if you could do a darker shade, that would be better. I feel like I'm walking through a St. Patrick's Day parade. It still looks nice, but it's a little bright for my tastes.

I'm liking the smilies, also.

#12 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

Meh, I kind of liked the rep system, but whatever.

Oh, and it's a little disappointing that using the skins for other forums is Nova only. I mean really, I would LOVE to go back to black.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#13 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

Meh, I kind of liked the rep system, but whatever.

Oh, and it's a little disappointing that using the skins for other forums is Nova only. I mean really, I would LOVE to go back to black.

Oh yeah, one thing on that Scorp, the Poll Bar (The one that says 'Poll: What do you think?' (x Members have cast votes) is still coming up with the tan colour the normal skin uses.

Other than that, I adore this skin. Good times were had with the old skin.

#14 Kenny

Kenny

• Nova Member
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

I never really cared much for the rep system, to be honest. Can't say I'm sad to see it go. The smilies are nice. I am loving the new skins. In fact, I'm using the Wulfgard skin right now. :)

#15 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

Unfortunately there is no setting for the rep system like that. :( I can only do what the system lets me, and right now all I can do is limit votes per day by user group, turn the system off, or make it so only positive votes are allowed.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#16 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Nova Member
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Although I did enjoy seeing I had a positive rep, I'm not really that disappointed at seeing it go. Sure, some people used it properly and gave +s to good posts, but quite a few used it simply to abuse other members (I'll admit I downvoted Anasazi quite a bit for no reason).

There was no solution available, so oyu jsut removed the whole thing, and I'm cool with that.

I'm yet to try out the wulfgard skin, but NR is absolutely fantastic, except that I kinda like the standard now.

EDIT: Tried Wulfgard, didn't like it much. Feels too similar to the standard theme, but with green instead of dark red. I was excepting more of a light grey and green combo......

#17 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

I liked the reputation system. People get their feelings hurt way too easily, and some people really would benefit from taking a chill pill. Maybe I just liked it because I was a popular kid.

I'm sad that there are no skin options for freebies, but I didn't real expect otherwise.

Oh, and I like the new smilies, but I hope you keep the old ones, too. They're so much sassier.

Edited by Sir_Muffonious, 22 May 2010 - 02:23 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

I think that keeping the reputation system with just positive votes would be fine. Let's face facts, when the system allows for negative votes there will be whining. However, I do believe that there are several excellent posts here that deserve a little reward. Thus I think the positive only rating system would be really great.

I also really like the smilies, we should definitely use them.

Oh, and I wish freebies could use the red and black style... :(

Edited by Hawk, 22 May 2010 - 03:27 PM.

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#19 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Perhaps you can only start downvoting someone when they reach a certain amount of positives?
Like maybe, Lancaster has +5. In order to downvote him, he must be upvoted to +20. You can only downvote him back to +5.

Actually, no, that's stupid.
Just keep it, please. I know a lot of people abuse it, but there are people who genuinely deserve their reputation.
Bad grammar, idiotic posts, inappropriate behaviour, etc. People can know who to avoid, and who is a generally nice person.

One thing I did notice is people upvoting the admins simply because they posted, be that post neutral, mildly negative or positive.
Also, a lot of people upvote others simply because they have a bad rep, even if it's a deserved reputation.

Bring it back, I say. If others don't like it, they can lump it.
As for the smilies, I have a feeling some won't particularly like Lego heads. Maybe give them the option?
I don't mind them, but I'd rather just import some Something Awful or Filefront stuff. After all, they are pretty cute.
Posted Image

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#20 Anasazi!

Anasazi!

FIRE IS MOTION. WORK IS REPITITION.

• 566 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

Scorp didn't say freebies couldn't use the skins, somebody just commented on how so far the skin is only available for the Nova BOARD, not Nova MEMBERS.
Cap'n Jazz & Tera Melos are the best bands ever ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users