222 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:19 AM

POPULAR

Please look over this post BEFORE you reply! Especially the FAQ section. Thanks.

Welcome to the brand new SSLF, gang! I hope you like the new look!

You may be wondering why I made this big change to the website. Well, there are several reasons. First of all, I was sick and tired of the old one. I've had a black background with red and black UI elements and white text for at least a decade now, and it was starting to give me a strong negative vibe. I'm hoping to move the website in a new, more positive, more artistic direction. Also, this new site is much cleaner code-wise and uses all that newfangled CSS stuff. That means I can make changes to the site's look and feel much more quickly and easily. And that's good for everyone. But especially me.

And now, I'd like to address some issues about the new site. Please read over the following BEFORE you reply, thanks!

Questions & Answers

I want the BLACK back!: I may make a black-background skin available in the future, either a nighttime version of this skin or a Nova Refuge skin. For now, however, try to get used to this one. Learn to lighten up!

The colors in this particular spot look weird/hard to read...: I am skinning the forum by hand, so if you see any colors that look weird or are very hard to read, please report them in a reply here ALONG WITH a screenshot or description of the place where you saw the weird colors.

This new feature is weird/doesn't work right: New features in IPB 3.0 are totally alien to me too. I have no idea how the new PM system works, nor how this "reputation" system functions. If you have any issues with new features, or any glitches, report them here.

The new rank picture is too big!: No, it's really not. Why? Because your avatar can now be 150x150! Like mine, over there. Personal Photos in profiles can now be larger as well (200x200). Once you get a new bigger avatar the rank icon won't seem so big.

Cool! I get a bigger avatar!: I may impose more restrictive avatar limits in the future if I see people using lots of horrendous avatars of anime and bands/album covers and such, so please try to use something cool. And by cool I mean my definition of cool, which means movies, video games, comics, LEGO, soldiers, monsters, jet fighters, dinosaurs, etc.

Uncool! I get a smaller signature...: Yes, the signature size limit now works differently, since my old siglimit code doesn't work the same on the new version of IPB. Luckily there is one built in now.
Images above 800x250 pixels are now not allowed at all, and you may not use more than one image. If someone has major issues with this, please explain them here. (and by explain, I mean give a reason WHY the new limit is a real problem for you)

Blog updates on main page, huh?: Yeah, I may get rid of that if I end up not updating my blog as often as I hope to. But if my plans work out, I will be updating the site more regularly this year (that was my resolution, you see), so this is a good way to tie in the main site updates with the forums.

My favorite smiley is gone!: My old smilies had black backgrounds, so I had to get new ones. If you would like to help me out, feel free to submit new smilies here. They MUST fit the look/size of my current smilies and MUST have a transparent background to be accepted. If they fit those criteria, then I'll be glad to add them!

What's with the first post displaying at the top of every page?: I set Linear+ to the default view mode for several reasons. If it is bothering you, you can go into My Settings > Forums > View/Posting/E-mail Prefs > Topic Display mode and set it to Standard.

And now that you've read all that... a few more things:
- The Nova Members got to see the new look and critique it before it went live. Thanks for the help, guys!
- Congratulations to 880_ZERO, new Red Base Local Mod. Also, if you were a local mod who was demoted due to inactivity, you may explain your absence here and I may restore your position.

Hope you guys enjoy the new Lair!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#2 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

And by cool I mean my definition of cool, which means movies, video games, comics, LEGO, soldiers, monsters, jet fighters, dinosaurs, etc.

(Also: animals, werewolves, minotaurs, and dragons, among other things.)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#3 Proxyclaw

Proxyclaw

Professional Anomaly

• 1,611 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:20 AM

Hope you guys enjoy the new Lair!

While this change may take some time to get use to, I can definitely say that it is amazing to look at.

LITTLE SCORPION IS CREDIT TO TEAM!!!!

There's a difference between "oddness" and brainless, mindscrewing confusion.

#4 Nirdian

Nirdian

Let there be WAR!

• Banned
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:21 AM

I see what you did there... :ph34r:

Anyweh, in my honest and free opinion, I gotta say. I'm not a particularly big fan of the new look/layout.
Bluergh...

#5 Proxyclaw

Proxyclaw

Professional Anomaly

• 1,611 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

Observation: There appears to be a reputation feature.
Query: How does it work?

#6 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:31 AM

POPULAR

There's a little plus and minus in the corner of all posts. You click one or the other. ;)
Right now the limit is 25 ratings per day for freebies, 50 for Novas, but that could change. I'm pretty unfamiliar with all this myself.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#7 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

POPULAR

Answer: At the bottom right of every post, right above the "Multi-Post" button is a plus and a minus. Much like the comment rating system on YouTube and various blogs, you can use the plus or the minus to rate posts up or down. This reflects not only on the post itself, but also on the person's profile, which will display how many "reputation points" (ratings up or down) they've accumulated over all their posts.

EDIT: Darnit, Scorp, you know I take too long to explain things. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#8 Proxyclaw

Proxyclaw

Professional Anomaly

• 1,611 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:34 AM

There's a little plus and minus in the corner of all posts. You click one or the other. ;)
Right now the limit is 25 ratings per day for freebies, 50 for Novas, but that could change. I'm pretty unfamiliar with all this myself.

Thank you

EDIT: Darnit, Scorp, you know I take too long to explain things. :P

you can has thanks too

#9 Anasazi!

Anasazi!

FIRE IS MOTION. WORK IS REPITITION.

• 566 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:39 AM

I see what you did there... :ph34r:

Anyweh, in my honest and free opinion, I gotta say. I'm not a particularly big fan of the new look/layout.

I'm gonna go with Nirdian here, I don't really like it. Whatevs, I'm just glad it's back up.

Uh oh.
Cap'n Jazz & Tera Melos are the best bands ever ever.

#10 Kikayoaka

Kikayoaka

There must be some way out of here

• Banned
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

Learn to lighten up!

I see what you fricken' did there...

Anyway, I think it's ok. I like some things and not others, but hey not everyone likes everything. Personally I think the new member rank icon things are really cool, you did a great job on those. Also Zero is a mod now woot woot, none of you hataz gonna be hatan now.

#11 Anasazi!

Anasazi!

• 566 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:44 AM

Dump posts count now!
Oh god what have I done.
Please let us keep them.
PUHLEEEZ.

#12 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:47 AM

Also Zero is a mod now woot woot, none of you hataz gonna be hatan now.

Indeed. :P

For those of you who don't know\haven't seen the topic in that forum yet, 880_ZERO is now the Local Moderator for the Red Base.

Congratulations, Zero. :D

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#13 Anasazi!

Anasazi!

• 566 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

Also Zero is a mod now woot woot, none of you hataz gonna be hatan now.

Posted Image

#14 Trotsky

Trotsky

BL4R

• Banned
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:51 AM

Indeed. :P

For those of you who don't know\haven't seen the topic in that forum yet, 880_ZERO is now the Local Moderator for the Red Base.

Congratulations, Zero.

Damn. Guess I have to shoot for...

OH NO THEY'RE ALL MODERATED

D=

Oh well. Congrats to various new mods/other such things. Also, can't wait to see that night option, skurps. I'm not a fan of brown. Plus I enjoy being in the dark, as apparently I sparkle in sunlight.
-Trotsky!

Stranger stop as you pass by

As you are now so once was I

And as I am so will you be

So be prepared to follow me

#15 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:52 AM

Question: How do you edit posts in the new forums?

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#16 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:54 AM

Dump posts count now!
Oh god what have I done.
Please let us keep them.
PUHLEEEZ.

Dump posts will never count. It's the dump.

I did make posts in this board count now though. I don't know why they weren't counting before... hm.

Should be right down there at the lower right corner of your posts.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#17 Anasazi!

Anasazi!

• 566 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:55 AM

Dump posts will never count. It's the dump.

I did make posts in this board count now though. I don't know why they weren't counting before... hm.

Should be right down there at the lower right corner of your posts.

Well, on my account page it says I have 1,034 posts.

#18 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:56 AM

Congratulations, Zero. :D

May death come quickly to his enemies.[/Morbo]

Also, can't wait to see that night option, skurps. I'm not a fan of brown. Plus I enjoy being in the dark, as apparently I sparkle in sunlight.

Kill it with fire!

Well on my screen there's a little white (somewhat less obvious than before) "Edit" button at the bottom of each post. I assume clicking that would be a good start if you have it.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#19 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:04 AM

Interrogative: is there any way to disable or hide that "Featured Entry" thingy? I've been poking around my settings and I can't find anything.

EDIT: Also, I have a suggestion: disable the sand texture in the post display area, it'll make posts easier to read.

Edited by Thrawnie, 30 January 2010 - 07:05 AM.

#20 Kikayoaka

Kikayoaka

There must be some way out of here

• Banned
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

Also why is the original post like, always shown on every page, it kind of bugs me since some topics OP are really long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users