• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

Greetings SSLFer's,

For my new project, I will be creating the World War II American heavy tank, the M6A1 (T1E1). This will be the first time I've designed a heavy tank out of LEGO. I have done the M7 MT twice, and got decently far with the T1E2 and T1E3 Cunningham LT's before I lost all my data on them. I may restart those projects soon.

At any rate, I suspect this project will be slow going as this tank is quite large and has an interesting suspension system, a small caliber coaxially mounted cannon, multiple hull mounted MG's, and is quite large due to a lot of dead air.

This was the first heavy tank that was standardized in the US's history, the first of 3. We have designed many more, but this is the progenitor of standardized American heavy tanks.

Once I finish this project, I may create the M6A2E1-1 heavy tank which was based on this chassis/hull and mounted a much larger gun in a much larger turret.

We shall see.

Again, this will be 1/35th scale to match all my other LEGO tanks and AFV's.
Actual to 1/35th Scale.
Length: 27ft 8in (Gun Forward) to 9.5in at 38 studs.
Width: 10ft 3in to 3.5in at 16 studs.
Height: 9ft 10in to 3.4in at 27 studs.

Reference Photos:
Q4Yv2B8.jpg
The M6A1/T1E1 by itself.
GYHdGib.jpg
M6A1 HT with M5A1 Stuart LT.
dSJ1K5a.jpg
M6A1 HT with M3 Lee MT and M3 Stuart LT.

Cheers.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 15 December 2018 - 05:31 PM.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#2 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

Can't wait to see the initial steps of the build. Your tanks have always been pretty neat to see.
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:10 AM

Can't wait to see the initial steps of the build. Your tanks have always been pretty neat to see.

You shall see and thanks man, they're challenging, but fun builds.

One hour of work. Photos 1-4.

Spoiler

So, it may not look like much, but, the suspension is the hardest part of any tank build, because it determines the rest of the vehicle. If you mess up the suspension, you literally have to redesign the vehicle. Every tank build is built around the suspension, and if you mess it up and have to fix it, good luck. It happened with my M7 MT V2, due to the fender/sandshields being too low, and I had to raise the vehicle by 1 stud and redesign the front hull.

More to come, cheers.

Another hour of work. Two hours total. Photos 5-6.

Spoiler

Got the idler figured out and frontal hull shaping for the lower glacia plate. Working on the sideskirt.

Cheers.

Yet another hour of work. Three hours total. Photos 7-11.

Spoiler

Working on the sideskirt and making it look somewhat like the real thing. Very hard to get the shaping right, but I digress. I got the side hull tall enough for the installation of track links, I'll be using the 3 stud wide one for this tank. Almost done, I really need to get the front hull done haha.

Cheers.

Add another hour of work. 4 hours total. Photos 13-14. Photo 12 isn't important.

Spoiler

Worked on the front hull and fender detailing. The M6A1 heavy tank had a dual mounted .50cal MG's manned by the co-driver/bow gunner. I included the driver's periscope as well. I added the headlights as well as a shovel, one of the crew's pioneering tools. I then had to redo the back hull because it starts to slope down gently once the engine compartment starts. I added the taillights and trying to figure out how to make the rear storage boxes mounted on the rear hull above the massive vents for the engine of this beast.

Well, it's 4AM right now. I need to sleep.

Let me know what you think of it so far.

Cheers.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 18 December 2018 - 02:59 AM.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

#4 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:50 PM

Add another hour. 5 hours of work.

Spoiler

Doing the side hull that's not descending. Focusing on the front of the tank due to it being simpler. Not too much got done as I was trying to figure out where to mount the turret and how to finish the rear and rear side hull shaping.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#5 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:51 PM

One more hour. 6 hours total.

Spoiler

I managed to finish the hull. That took 45 minutes. I did some very minor detailing on the engine deck, I thought I took a screenshot, but like I said, it's very minor. And that's how far I got with the turret in 15 minutes. Trying a new idea of planning it out via doing the turret roof detailing first. Luckily, this turret has flat sides, at least vertical, and translates well into LEGO with the weird shaping it has.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#6 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:49 AM

I was hoping to finish this beast by the end of 2018, but obviously that didn't happen. I left for a vacation to the Philippines, and got back two days ago. I realized right before I left for said vacation, that the hull of my build was 4 studs too long, or an inch. The length I had picked was the length of the M6A1 HT with the barrel forward. So, basically, with those 4 extra studs in the hull, I made the hull too long by an inch. I know exactly where and what 4 studs I need to remove to rectify this problem, but lost pretty much all my motivation to fix it due to how much work that would take, considering it took me 5.25 hours to do the hull. I'm planning on copying and pasting the completed hull assembly and trying to fix the problem as quickly as possible without losing my mind. Hopefully this is a quick fix.

Spoiler

Yellow studs denote where I plan to remove those studs to shorten the hull.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#7 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:04 AM

I'm curious as to what software you use to make this. Is it Lego digital designer?

I recommend Stud.io, as it's hooked up with your Bricklink attack so that you can order the peices after you build it. I haven't used it yet, but it might be useful for these tanks you make.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see the final result!

#8 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

I'm curious as to what software you use to make this. Is it Lego digital designer?

I recommend Stud.io, as it's hooked up with your Bricklink attack so that you can order the peices after you build it. I haven't used it yet, but it might be useful for these tanks you make.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see the final result!

It is indeed Lego Digital Designer

Hmm, Stud.io you say? I'll have to check that out, especially with the Bricklink feature. Can you import LDD builds into it?

Thank you, I hope to get some motivation to do it soon, haha!

KY0FhTX.jpg

#9 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Hmm, Stud.io you say? I'll have to check that out, especially with the Bricklink feature. Can you import LDD builds into it?

I'm not sure, you'd have to look into it. I do know that it's free.

#10 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure, you'd have to look into it. I do know that it's free.

I'll have to look into it and test it out. Thanks for the recomendation.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#11 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

Well, one more hour passes. 7 hours total.

Spoiler

Yellow parts are what I must modify. I spent about 15 minutes going over this model to see what I could do to modify it and cut out pieces and then somehow put back together without rebuilding the entire thing.

Spoiler

Here is 45 minutes of work of me rebuilding it. I'm just eyeballing the thing and this is going to be tricky as I try to figure out how I made this thing in the first place.

Cheers.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 20 January 2019 - 10:22 AM.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#12 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:03 AM

So rolls past another hour. 8 hours total.

Spoiler

Copy and pasted the rear hull, and started working on the suspension.

Spoiler

Then I copy and pasted the front hull. I'm going to need to rework this, I may rework the driver's hatch so that it opens.

Spoiler

Completely redesigned the side skirt and it actually came out a lot better and much closer to the real thing. So, that's nifty.

Spoiler

The other side of the side skirt, it was interesting figuring this out since I couldn't copy and paste the old version.

Spoiler

Red is what I still need to copy over to the other side of the hull.

Spoiler

Trying to finish the side hull and get the upper hull done so I can get back to working on the turret. Though, this will take a while as I need to redesign the front hatches so they don't get in the way of the turret traversing, as well as the antenna for the radio mounted in the hull. I also need to rework the raised engine deck, it was wrong with the previous hull.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#13 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

Add another hour. 9 hours total.

Spoiler

I got pretty far in getting the side hull done with the varying heights.

Spoiler

Reworked the hull hatches on the front so they're level with the rest of the hull.

I realized the hull is still 2 studs or 0.5in too long. Seeing that it took 6 hours for the original hull and 3 hours for this one. I don't think I'm down to rework the hull again.

Cheers.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 21 January 2019 - 02:33 PM.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#14 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Silently judging you

• 1,494 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

It's always hard to see a project still isn't where you want it after that much work, but the tank is definitely getting better and better for your efforts!

sml_gallery_15330_272_21744.jpg

Above image created by Saber-Scorpion and meme'd by me.

Profile picture created by and commissioned from: https://saph-y.tumblr.com/

#15 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

We hit double digits, 10 total hours folks. For one tank.

I don't think I'll bother shortening this hull 2 more studs as there is no good place to do that without making the suspension looking off. Either the roadwheels will be too close and far, or the idler or drive sprocket will be too close to the roadwheels. So there's really no winning here.

I also realized that this is actually a T1E3 heavy tank that was standardized as a M6A1. So, if anyone can change the title of this topic from (T1E1) to (T1E3) would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler

I reworked the front cheeks of the upper hull to give the appearance of them being at an angle and because their positioning was off by an entire stud. I also redid the bit with the dual .50 cal mount. I also added a pickaxe to the right mudguard. The hatches were also moved back to were they should be.

Spoiler

This is a big tank, so I can fit all 3 crew members in the hull. The guy in front left is the Driver. Behind the Driver is the Assistant Loader. The guy on the right is the Co-Driver/Bow Gunner, he mans the dual .50cal HMG's.

Spoiler

I redid the front hull again, I widened the periscope for the driver and added the bow mounted .30 cal MG (M1919A4). I didn't realize it had one, since the M6 in World of Tanks and the M6A1 in War Thunder both don't have a .30 cal MG, but my source book, The American Arsenal: The World War II Official Standard Ordnance Catalogue of Small Arms, Tanks, Armored Cars, Artillery, Anti-aircraft Guns, Ammunition, Grenades, Mines, et cetera, says it does. So I added it based on a cutaway I found of the M6.

Spoiler

Internal structuring so the model doesn't fall apart. I'm making it so you can pull off the hull roof (after taking off the turret) to access the crew members. I will also be designing the engine for this beast because I should have the space to do so. The engine is a Wright G-200 with 1,850 ft.lb. of torque at 2,300RPM. I can't find that engine with that name, meaning it has a different designation than the exact same engine that is mounted on an airplane. Yes, this is a radial aircraft engine.

Well look at that, I spent an entire hour on basically the front hull. Don't worry, it'll be done soon enough. I think I'll finish the hull in 2 more hours. Maybe even 1. Depends on how fast I can design the engine. Once that's over, we can finally get back to the turret, and finish this bad boy.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#16 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

Spoiler

I redid the front hull again, I widened the periscope for the driver and added the bow mounted .30 cal MG (M1919A4). I didn't realize it had one, since the M6 in World of Tanks and the M6A1 in War Thunder both don't have a .30 cal MG, but my source book, The American Arsenal: The World War II Official Standard Ordnance Catalogue of Small Arms, Tanks, Armored Cars, Artillery, Anti-aircraft Guns, Ammunition, Grenades, Mines, et cetera, says it does. So I added it based on a cutaway I found of the M6.

Not to criticize your efforts (or force you to do more work) but in the interests of accuracy I have to inform you that that isn't where the .30-cal went. Its proper position would be one level farther down, and all the way over to the right (model's right, viewer's left).

Spoiler

If you look at the front view in the picture above, the .30-cal's position is the little square on the front right of the hull, just above and to the right of the rightmost towing loop. It can be seen a bit more distinctly in this image:

Spoiler

From what images I can find, I also don't believe that the .30 actually protruded out of the hull.

Again, my apologies if I made anything harder for you, but as a fellow tank enthusiast I felt I had to point that out.

Good luck with the rest of it. :D

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#17 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

Not to criticize your efforts (or force you to do more work) but in the interests of accuracy I have to inform you that that isn't where the .30-cal went. Its proper position would be one level farther down, and all the way over to the right (model's right, viewer's left).

Spoiler

If you look at the front view in the picture above, the .30-cal's position is the little square on the front right of the hull, just above and to the right of the rightmost towing loop. It can be seen a bit more distinctly in this image:

Spoiler

From what images I can find, I also don't believe that the .30 actually protruded out of the hull.

Again, my apologies if I made anything harder for you, but as a fellow tank enthusiast I felt I had to point that out.

Good luck with the rest of it. :D

I'm not seeing it and I've been staring at this for a few minutes.

There it fetching is. I thought it was by the driver's periscope, haha!

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's the thing I circled in red, right?

KY0FhTX.jpg

#18 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

Yep. That's it.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#19 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Yep. That's it.

That's pretty nifty. Thanks for letting me know about that. I honestly have never noticed that and I've looked at this tank hundreds of times.

Well, we're at 11 hours and 15 minutes now.

Spoiler

Began work on the Wright G-200 engine.

Spoiler

This is shaping up quite nicely!

Spoiler

The Wright G-200 engine in all it's glory.

Spoiler

Wright G-200 with torque converter.

Spoiler

The engine with torque converter is 13 studs long or 3.25in long.

Spoiler

It is 6 studs or 1.5in wide. Didn't get the height, haha!

Spoiler

Didn't fit in the engine compartment, so I shortened in.

Spoiler

I had to shorten again before it fit lengthwise, but it looks like the engine is too tall as well!

Spoiler

Still too tall even though the reduced the height of the engine compartment floor by 3 studs! I'm trying to make a hinged engine deck so that it slopes downward, but is impeded by the engine. I even deleted the entire torque converter assembly to get the engine to fit, but it looks like I have to remove the quite wide midsection of the engine, the actual engine, and make it the same size as the mid forward engine. Which isn't wanted mind you, because it came out really well!

Oh well, I could just not have an engine as well, but what a waste of all that empty space.

Some War Thunder screenshots for scale of the engine.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#20 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

After a week long hiatus I have devoted another hour to working on the M6A1. 12 hours and 15 minutes.

Spoiler

P13.1: Here I am trying to set up the sloped rear engine deck.

Spoiler

P13.2: Got the centralized location of the turret figured out and began work on the raised engine deck section.

Spoiler

P13.3: Smoothing out the top of the hull and some minor detailing.

Spoiler

P13.4: Detailing on the non-raised section of the engine deck. I had to modify the back hull to make this work by lowering it one stud and then making it studless to achieve a steeper angle.

Spoiler

P13.5: Now I'm proud of this bit. That is a smooth transition if I say so myself.

Spoiler

P13.6: I'm going to have to redo the raised engine deck section as I can't get as smooth as a slope as seen in P13.5 for this section. So I'll have to rework it.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users