E3 2019: Whoever wins, we lose

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#1 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,226 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:01 PM

It's E3 time again, but I'm not going to lie: after Devil May Cry 5 showed up last year, I... I don't really know what to do with myself. Do I still need to haul these old bones out of bed in the middle of the freezing Antipodean Winter nights to watch all this stuff live? Is there still a point to E3 in this post-DMC5 world? Sony isn't even going to be there this year, EA isn't doing a traditional showcase, and as the last E3 before the new generation of consoles gets into full swing, everyone else might be holding their next-gen cards close to their chests anyway.

But, y'know, there's always cool stuff. There's Cyberpunk 2077, that From Software/George R.R. Martin collabo, the Star Wars Jedi one, maybe a Splinter Cell. I want to see whatever Nintendo cooks up. Maybe Rocksteady will reveal the game they've been working on since Arkham Knight came out last century. Microsoft is probably going to show some kind of tech demo of their new Xbox and maybe drop some hints about games. I don't think 2019's E3 is going to go down in history, but I feel like the day I stop getting HOYPE about E3 is the day I admit to myself that I'm an old man and it's all down hill from here, so let's hang on for one more year.

As always, here's a chart I've stolen that has all the conference times in various time zones (look at all those 4am wakeups for UTC+8 ughkillmeeee):

LFQQlRT.png

Join me as I watch all these dumb shows about dumb video games and vacillate wildly between super hyped and crushingly disappointed over and over! It's E3 again, baby!

#2 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:51 PM

It feels like the E3 ship springs a few extra leaks every year, and 2019's is taking on water FAST. The From Software/George R.R. Martin game is about as close to officially confirmed as you can get:

NVvF2SR.png

Ninja Theory's next game, Bleeding Edge, is a 4v4 online hero shooter/brawler kind of thing. There's a leaked CG trailer at the link that I can't embed. Kind of seems like... Anarchy Reigns, of all things.

An HD Remaster of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is coming.

Noted 8Chan supporters THQ Nordic are doing a remake of Destroy All Humans:

And someone has found this pre-order thing telling you what you get with your purchase of Cyberpunk 2077:

ApRVBtw.jpg

#3 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:28 PM

I have a hard time believing they went from an obviously heavily scripted "gameplay" demo to ready for pre-orders in one year, but I guess we'll see what they show.

#4 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

I have a hard time believing they went from an obviously heavily scripted "gameplay" demo to ready for pre-orders in one year, but I guess we'll see what they show.

Well they certainly didn't waste any time working on that box art.

#5 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:13 AM

Well they certainly didn't waste any time working on that box art.

LjCyNjb.gif

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

I dunno, I actually really like it.

<.<

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:15 AM

The box art is reminiscent if how they did Witcher 3's. So if anything else, it just makes sense.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#8 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:21 PM

I don't think it's bad or anything, but it is very much the 'man with a gun on solid colour' cliche from like every other game ever. I mean, I'm going to be buying it digitally on PC anyway, so it doesn't matter, but I always like some more flavour. Spice it up a little. Throw on some cumin and paprika.

Anyway here's that footage of Jedi Fallen Order:

Looks like a video game. We've got that Souls-inspired stamina bar combat, some fun little Force Powers, a dash of wallrunning. I'm not blown away but I'll definitely play it.

I think EA might be running their live streams right now, actually, but I don't actually care enough to go and find them :P

Gematsu has found some interesting things in Twitch's livestreaming schedule:

D8ky0lUWwAIDQ8j.png

I have no idea what Konami could even make a special announcement about in this day and age. Logic says it's probably another one of their old 2D game collections or something, but not-logic says WHAT IF IT'S A METAL GEAR REMAKE IN THE FOX ENGINE?

EDIT - Microsoft is teasing Xbox Scarlet for their press conference

#9 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

Fallen Order looks cool but it seems to fall prey to the 'lightsabers are just glowing baseball bats' school of design. The Force Unleashed games were infamous for that; it just felt like you were hitting dudes instead of laser-sword-murdering dudes.

Like, the movies, which are arguably aimed at fairly young audiences, have no qualms about showing arms and hands and heads and torsos getting chopped up. How come the games never embrace that?

#10 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

To be fair, limb amputations are used very sparingly in Star Wars. It only happens maybe once or twice a movie, and it's almost always a huge dramatic moment. You don't see Luke lopping off arms and legs on Jabba's skiffs in ROTJ; he mainly just waves the lightsabre at guys and they jump into the Sarlacc pit. Vader doesn't chop anyone to pieces in Rogue One. Same with any of the Jedi/Clone stuff in Episode 3 or the fights in 7 and 8. Stabs and slices are fine, and chopping up droids is just good clean fun, but sending human (or humanoid) limbs flying is too gruesome to overuse.

If they had full on limb chopping in this game you'd end up standing amongst a pile of severed limbs and mutilated bodies after every fight, and that's just not the picture most people have in their heads when they think of Jedi.

#11 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:34 PM

...get out of here with your logic and facts. I just want DOOM with a Star Wars skin, is that too much to ask?!

:P

#12 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:31 PM

They call me the Logic and Facts Kid, ruining dreams day and night, baby.

In other E3 news, Nintendo's show is going to be 40 minutes long, but take that with a grain of salt because apparently last year they said it would be 30 minutes and it ended up being 18 minutes of stuff and then 25 minutes of Smash:

SotB05k.png

The Avengers game is being advertised with the hashtag #EmbraceYourPowers, which does at least give some hope that we aren't going to be playing as random SHIELD agents alongside the actual Avengers or some rubbish. The giant advertisement on top of the LA Convention Centre confirms that it'll be on PS4, XB1, PC and Stadia, so I guess we can infer that it'll come out before next-gen?

D8lS4mkUwAAlYo7.jpg

Shenmue 3 is going to have a 20 minute segment on Gamespot's stream.

#13 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

IDK, I think the reason they never make lightsabers act like lightsabers is just that it would make them ridiculously OP for gameplay purposes. Anyone who's ever toggled the g_saberrealisticcombat code on in JK2/Academy knows what I mean.

If they ever actually made a game where you play as a Jedi with proper Force powers and a realistic lightsaber, the whole game would basically just be like the Vader scene from the end of that one fan film.

#14 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:04 AM

Lightsabres are one of those fictional weapons/abilities that are just too powerful to write anything about without having to deliberately hold back. Like telekinesis, where taking it to its logical conclusion just gets you to "OK, every telekinetic will just remotely sever the spinal cords of any enemy in a millisecond" and then the story is over before it even begins. With lightsabres, you start with the technology to project an energy beam that can cut through anything, and then you get to "why doesn't everyone have them" and then "what if you made a really long one", and then "what if you made the whole spaceship out of lightsabre and just flew it into things" and then you're cutting planets in half and Star Wars is over. 

Sometimes the answer is just "Star Wars is for kids and tearing through a bunch of screaming human bodies like an industrial thresher is too much" :P

Anyway, hey, remember E3, you guys? It's happening tonight, or today, or tomorrow morning or whatever time it is in your neck of the woods. On this first day we have Microsoft up first, with Bethesda afterwards and Devolver Digital bringing up the rear, so I thought I'd get mindlessly overhyped about everything and dream about what I want to see:

Microsoft:

They're doing a two-hour long show this year, no doubt packed with the finest filler and the most blatant misuses of the word 'exclusive', but also probably some really cool stuff that I'm going to get SUPER HOYPE about. There'll be that Halo Infinite, a Gears 5, and probably a Forza like always, but hopefully some of the ripening fruits of the third-party acquisition deals they've been doing over the last year or so. Remember that they now own Ninja Theory, Obsidian and inXile, among others. And with Sony out of the picture, this should be where all the hot third-party trailers drop like the GRRM/From Software thing and Cyberpunk 2077. Should be pretty gooooood.

Bethesda:

a.k.a. the Doom Eternal show. Doomboi is back and he's Doomer than ever. But, more importantly, Bethesda has... basically nothing else announced, as far as I know, so we'll get to watch Todd Howard try his best to dig himself out of the grave that was Fallout 76 with no Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 teasers to distract us. I guess there's that Wolfenstein co-op game thing, but that's a $40 game that's out in a month so I don't see it being a big focus. Does Todd have enough sweet little lies to get out of this one? Only one way to find out.

Devolver Digital:

I think Nina Struthers might have burnt to death on stage last year, but there's no keeping a good woman down and I'm sure she'll be back as Roastmaster General of the Video Game Industry. There are always a few hot announcements and shadow drops after the Devolver show, squeezed in between the biting satire and the unsanctionable idiocy. I can't wait.

#15 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

You cannot keep a good conference host down.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-10-at-10.12.01-PM.pn

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#16 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:57 PM

OK kiddos, we are three minutes out! PLACES, PEOPLE!

EDIT - Kicking off E3 with a big ol' montage, as is the style, and now I think we're doing The Outer Worlds?

EDIT - Yo, what? The Outer Worlds is going to be on Game Pass at launch? You're telling me I basically already own this bad boy? I'll take it, Microsoft. You're doing well so far.

EDIT - Ninja Theory is here with their new game, and the creative director is an Australian woman who's "absolutely stoked to be here", which warms my little (freezing cold) heat all the way back here in the motherland. Do us proud. Their new game is still that 4v4 multiplayer thing Bleeding Edge, which looks pretty neat if you're into multiplayer stuff I suppose.

Now we're doing Ori and the Blind Forest. Hey guess what this game is really pretty.

#17 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

Is it just me or do I hear Steve Blum's dulcet tones MCing Msoft's conference?

#18 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

I'll need to hear him again, I've been a little distracted shoveling oats into my face to try and stay awake at 4am :P

k that was some kind of Minecraft isometric brawler or something, but don't worry because Phil Spencer is here now and he's going to tell us some stuff. He's wearing a shirt with a stylised cartoon brain on it, which I'm going to guess is for Psychonauts 2?

EDIT - Oh boy Phil's speech has me going cross-eyed. He's going around in circles about how everyone in the world plays games whenever and wherever and however and with whomever they want, all the time, every day, 24/7, games games games, and I lost the thread a few minutes ago but he's still going on.

He's saying they've got 60 games tonight, 14 from Xbox Games Studios, and 30 games coming to Game Pass day one (boy am I happy with that description). Also confirmed that they're going to talk about the next Xbox.

We've got some new footage from Jedi Fallen Order now, which is already more interesting than the stuff they showed at the EA stream.

#19 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

Man anyone playing Polygon's E3 drinking game are probably dying of liver failure already, and we're only 15 minutes in!

#20 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:19 PM

We've got some kind of scary horror game that I'm definitely not going to play, a Blair Witch game no less. Remember that hot entertainment property that all the kids these days have definitely heard of?

ANYWAY SHUT UP IT'S CYBERPUNK TIME

EDIT - KEANU REEVES IS IN CYBERPUNK

EDIT - KEANU REEVES IS ON STAGE! OMG MICROSOFT WINS E3!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users