7 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

POPULAR

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the MOC's board or the general LEGO board. Went with general LEGO for now.

I got the 10237 The Tower of Orthanc set for Christmas, but I looked at the pictures on the box and thought it appeared a little short and stubby, like a dwarf version of Orthanc. So about halfway up, I started adding a few floors of my own! Here are some pictures and comments on the set:

(I couldn't be bothered to resize these, sorry)

orthanc01.jpg

Saruman looks down on my Uruk-Hai army of 28 soldiers.

orthanc07.jpg

Just 9,972 to go! Please note that the original Orthanc set only includes ONE Uruk-Hai and one regular orc, along with Saruman (with dress robes), Wormtongue, and Gandalf (no hat). Oh, and one of those crappy little sad excuses for Eagles.

orthanc02.jpg

Full tower shot.

orthanc03.jpg

Here are the floors I added, highlighted in red. The little section at the top was just me making one of the rooms an extra brick high so you could see the interior details better from the back.

orthanc04.jpg

Treebeard was also included with this set. Merry and Pippin were NOT. I plan to modify Treebeard later too.

orthanc06.jpg

A better look at the exterior detailing, including the two floors I added.

orthanc08.jpg

The back of the set is open for interior access.

orthanc09.jpg

These three floors are unchanged from the original set, except that I left off some of the stickers on the bottom floor (which depicted some wargs in a cage). The brown things are the doors, which open up. There's a trap door that drops down to the dungeon. And if the chandelier on the ceiling is pressed upward...

orthanc18.jpg

It activates a light brick under the Palantir seeing stone! The Palantir is one of those Bionicle balls, just resting on the table. This is the best use of a light brick in any LEGO set, ever. Nothing will ever top it unless they make Barad-Dur with a light up Eye of Sauron on top.

orthanc10.jpg

The mostly empty floor with Wormtongue in it and the treasure room above are the floors I added. They are NOT in the original set. Saruman's bomb preparation room with the cage-like windows, however, is unchanged from the set.

orthanc14.jpg

According to some LotR wiki I checked, after the War of the Ring, King Aragorn took control of Orthanc and found some long-lost magical treasures inside, including the chain on which Isildur had carried the One Ring. So I made one of the floors a treasure vault.

Any ideas for the floor below it? I'm stumped on what to put in there...

orthanc11.jpg

Moor of the original LEGO set floors. The uppermost one has an image of Barad-Dur, a barrel full of magic staves ("the rods of the five wizards!"?), and some stands for Uruk-Hai armor (most of which I took and put on my extra Uruk-Hai).

The floor below it is one of my favorites, featuring some bookshelves and stickers depicting the Five Wizards on the walls. Radagast the Brown, Saruman the White, and Gandalf the Grey are visible here, but the mysterious Blue Wizards are also there, off to the sides!

orthanc12.jpg

Here's one of them, behind this neat little fold-down ladder.

orthanc15.jpg

Atop Orthanc, Gandalf looks down on the workings of Saruman.

orthanc17.jpg

A final shot of the tower seen from below. You know, I'm actually tempted to add even MORE floors...

orthanc19.jpg

BONUS IMAGE: A giant monstrous feline attacks Orthanc under the Christmas Tree, becoming the new Lord of Isengard.

In conclusion: Obviously this is a pretty expensive set that will only be purchased by die hard Lord of the Rings fans and collectors, but if you fall into that category, I say go for it! But you might want to add some extra levels, if you've got enough black parts. ;)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#2 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

I do think you should add more floors, but that just be m fascination with giant towers. As for that empty floor, maybe Saruman's room?

OH! and that palantir is just gorgeous!!!

Edited by Gentleman Psychopath, 23 January 2014 - 07:12 PM.

mudkip.png

#3 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

That is quite the addition. I always thought that tower looked a bit small. I'm surprised you did not try to add a back side to the tower; I know that could have allowed you to place some more details into each of the rooms. If you can't come up with anything to put into the empty room, you could make it an easter egg room  :lego_smile: .

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Wow, those extra floors really add quite a bit of oomph to it! And I have to say, your detailing on the exterior of the walls you made is fantabulous. The black 1x-whatevers placed in ascending and then descending order looks really good!

Now... You just need to build a Barad-Dur. :P

And as for the empty room... The secret to olde age is good brandy-wine, and Saruman is how old? I bet he has a great distillery. :P Joking, mostly.

I am also admiring your real Christmas tree! So few go get a real one these days, such a shame.

emily-blunt.gif

#5 Lord English

Lord English

You're DARN TOOTIN i love to roughhouse!!!

• Nova Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

I looks great, Scorp. I'm definitely going to add more floors after I find time to finally build it. I hope you don't mind if I copy you on the treasure room. Also, do you have any knowledge about where to find out more about the blue wizards?

rsz_1gebwrhyswjipiqhompdmu0yecrcevjcvkpr

All Hail the Emperor and Senate of the Byzantine Empire

#6 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

I do think you should add more floors, but that just be m fascination with giant towers. As for that empty floor, maybe Saruman's room?

OH! and that palantir is just gorgeous!!!

Hmm, you mean a bedroom? I hadn't thought of that. Not a bad idea!

The palantir is indeed my favorite feature of the set.

That is quite the addition. I always thought that tower looked a bit small. I'm surprised you did not try to add a back side to the tower; I know that could have allowed you to place some more details into each of the rooms. If you can't come up with anything to put into the empty room, you could make it an easter egg room  :lego_smile: .

I thought about building a removable back section for the tower, but it frankly seemed like too much work. :P It looks pretty good on display even with the back section removed. I might add some more interior details though. I'd like to tile some of the floors.

Wow, those extra floors really add quite a bit of oomph to it! And I have to say, your detailing on the exterior of the walls you made is fantabulous. The black 1x-whatevers placed in ascending and then descending order looks really good!

Now... You just need to build a Barad-Dur. :P

And as for the empty room... The secret to olde age is good brandy-wine, and Saruman is how old? I bet he has a great distillery. :P Joking, mostly.

I am also admiring your real Christmas tree! So few go get a real one these days, such a shame.

Thanks! Yep, every year we continue to cut down a tree in the prime of its youth to honor Christmas traditions. :P They do smell better.

I looks great, Scorp. I'm definitely going to add more floors after I find time to finally build it. I hope you don't mind if I copy you on the treasure room. Also, do you have any knowledge about where to find out more about the blue wizards?

Tolkien never wrote much about the Blue Wizards, except that they went on a mission into the East and never returned. Pretty much everything he wrote about them can be found on this page, I think: http://www.tolkienga...ki/Blue_Wizards

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#7 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Member
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Fantastic mod, Scorpy! It fits so seamlessly into the original set, none of your additions are obvious or eyesores... they only add greatness to the tower! The treasure room is a really clever touch, but I'm also at a loss as to what you might fill the larger room with. Other member suggested some neat ideas though...

Anyway - great work! Love it, dawling!

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#8 Surtur

Surtur

King of the Fire and Flames

• Nova Member
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

This is fantastic! I almost want to ask for you to put up some building instructions on how to mod this so seemlessly, but I won't since that would probably be near the top of most annoying requests asked by a forum member :P

Still, it looks awesome and makes me totally want to get that set and try my own hand at modding it! Once again, amazing work!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LotR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users