Photo

Star Wars Movies and Positivity Thread

• Please log in to reply
2160 replies to this topic

Poll: Star Wars

What's a cool spaceship?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

Three words: Captain Jack Solo.

Don't forget the guy who wants him dead or alive: Lord Jabba Beck-Hutt, and the bounty hunter he hired, Davy Fett. And the Krancor, the giant squid monster beast in Jabba Beck-Hutt's basement. Luke Skyturner, Princess Lizzy Orswana, Darth Bootstrap (Previously Billakin Skyturner), Chewbossa, etc, etc.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#22 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Mart2-D2, the midget pirate ? And the Black Falcon ? Or Millenium Pearl ?

#23 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

I think it's good that he's passing on the torch, it allows new things to come. Lucas will be more free to do others things, and perhaps Star Wars will regain that adventurous spirit that had been replaced with drama over the years. As far as Episode VII goes, I'll wait and see before I pass judgement. The way this is going, Star Wars will have more sequels than The Land Before Time.

Personally, I liked the prequels (not as much as the originals, don't worry), and yes, Jar Jar didn't annoy me. Hater's gonna hate.

#24 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

EU also brought us: 'Emperor Palpatine: The Sequel!', 'Orcs from Another Galaxy!', 'Space Spartans based around one guy who only appeared five minutes in the Original Trilogy!' and 'You know Chewbacca? That lovable hairy giant with a heart of gold? Yeah, he's dead meat'.

Frankly I'm not sure they can screw that up further.

Okay, not sure what the palpatine the sequel your referring to is. The Yuuzhan Vong War had many bad desicions in it, to be fair, such as the death of Anakin Solo, but it also had some amazing writing plotlines and character developments. I happen to be a huge fan of the mandalarian mythos that got constructed and do not feel it is particularly out of place in Star wars in general. And Chewbacca, lovable sure, but his character was far to limited by not showing us any dialogue and really any actual character buidling,And really his death didn't change much.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#25 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,862 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

Star Wars Episode VII: A New Nope

As a fan of the EU (Stackpole, Zahn and a few others mostly), the notion of this terrifies me. Two decades of established fiction stands to be erased or blatantly ignored. I don't feel like ranting about it at the moment, but believe me, I really, really could.

#26 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Star Wars Episode VII: A New Nope

As a fan of the EU (Stackpole, Zahn and a few others mostly), the notion of this terrifies me. Two decades of established fiction stands to be erased or blatantly ignored. I don't feel like ranting about it at the moment, but believe me, I really, really could.

I'm more worried about how it would affect the continuity of my Salacious Crumb x Jar Jar Binks hurt/comfort fic. D:>

Edited by Halicon, 30 October 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#27 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

EU also brought us: 'Emperor Palpatine: The Sequel!', 'Orcs from Another Galaxy!', 'Space Spartans based around one guy who only appeared five minutes in the Original Trilogy!' and 'You know Chewbacca? That lovable hairy giant with a heart of gold? Yeah, he's dead meat'.

Frankly I'm not sure they can screw that up further.

The EU also gave us Space Rommel and his protege (who was smart enough to broker peace with the New Republic), a Skywalker who only ever screwed things up when he got involved, heroes like Wedge Antilles and Kyle Katarn who proved that you don't need to be a Jedi Knight or a main character to get anything done, and pretty much anything by Matt Stover (Ganner Rhysode's death in Traitor springs to mind) or Tim Zahn.

There's a lot of crap in the EU by a lot of crap authors (like Karen Traviss, noted for absolutely refusing to do any research for the universe she's writing for and turning the Mandalorians into a race of Gary Stues), but there's a lot of good stuff as well, stuff that really does not deserve to go to waste and be thrown out, and there's a lot of authors who have put a huge amount of time, effort and care into crafting the EU and making it as consistent as possible (not that other EU authors have been so willing to play ball). I really don't think it deserves to be thrown out just so Disney can make a quick buck. But alas, capitalism -sigh-.

#28 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

I'm definitely excited that there will be more Episodes. How I actually feel about all this though, I probably won't know until more information becomes known. I'm not too hopeful in Disney, but then again I'm not a cynic either.

But one thing that I've realized after browsing Facebook comments is that I generally hate the Star Wars fan base. Star Wars really does have the worst fans around in my opinion.

#29 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP4H4jV1Spo

I'm definitely excited that there will be more Episodes. How I actually feel about all this though, I probably won't know until more information becomes known. I'm not too hopeful in Disney, but then again I'm not a cynic either.

But one thing that I've realized after browsing Facebook comments is that I generally hate the Star Wars fan base. Star Wars really does have the worst fans around in my opinion.

If you think about it, it's got one of the largest fan-bases out there, meaning it's bound to involve the worst. If I have any problems with the fan base it's with how much they complain. If you don't like it, don't watch it!

I'm with Halicon, not hating Jar-Jar or the prequels at all... I really don't get why either is such a big deal to so many people.

#30 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

The announcement of a new Star Wars film does very little to excite, disturb, or otherwise phase me. When the next one is released, I'm sure I will enjoy the heck out of all of the fight scenes, and hopefully the story won't be too bad. But it won't be the same as it was when I was four years old discovering the original trilogy. I've gotten to the point where I can watch the prequels without flipping out on technicalities and instead watch it for the deeper, underlying message.

I truly wish I could say that I think this new trilogy will be deeper and more thoughtful than something that was conceived of purely for the money-making benefit of reviving a franchise as large as SW, but the truth is I think it will probably end up more on the level of the Clone Wars.

I hope I am wrong.

Nevertheless, I still love Star Wars, even though I think the prequels could have been handled waaaay better, I'm sure I will love watching new space-battles and saber duels. I have decided not to judge it too harshly, and just try to enjoy myself when it comes about. What am I gonna do, boycott Star Wars?

But it is in a good two years, unless I'm mistaken, so who knows how I will feel about it then.

#31 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,108 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Wow guys come on. You forgot what happened when Disney setup deal with Marvel. We got Marvel film tie ins and continuity within the universe + The Avengers. Hey maybe all of that is on Marvel instead of Disney, but hey it all is working out now. Just my positive spin. I don't see it as an entirely bad idea. Gamewise its a little scary as Disney has never put out a mature title on a console. So Star Wars 1313 would be technically a first Disney M rated game. Then again though they don't own Lucasarts do they? Oh wait a minute. They DO OWN IT TOO. :unsure: Maybe they actually complete a game instead of trash bin. Like where KOTOR 3, Battlefront 3, Indiana Jones games went off too.

My first reaction was whaaaa. Then I realized their true plan might be to never make Star Wars X. Just think about it. They would have to create a new idea. I don't know if that is possible anymore with film industry I see millions of reboots instead. Which Star Wars won't be immune to doing anymore. Could you imagine Star Wars reboot in the future say 2025 or so.

As for Star Wars 7, 8, 9. I think George Lucas is so scared of making them because of fan reaction he has decided to say someone else is actually leading these movies.

This doesn't just mean Star Wars 7,8, and 9 though. Can't forget Indiana Jones 5, 6, 7 gotta be around the corner too. As well as probably a reboot when Ford says no more please.

Disney is starting to become a superpower with so many things under its helm. They have Marvel, Star Wars, and so many other things. I am starting to fear them buying something else. Disney makes so much money they will be ready to buy something else soon.

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#32 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'm more concerned with seeing 70 year old Han Solo and 60 year old Princess Leia having a child, personally.
Old timer

#33 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,965 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Are Jaden and Jaina still around? I remember that I stopped reading EU books some time during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, and even then I was always limited by which books my local libraries had so I didn't read many series all the way through. I'm pretty sure I remember Luke and Mara Jade getting married, though I know they had a kid some time later. I think Chewie's death was about the point when I checked out for good, because I didn't hold with my beloved characters being killed off in some lousy old books, y'know?

So I really have no idea what state Star Wars is currently in. I made the mistake of Googling 'Star Wars canon' and ended up more confused than when I started (here's some light reading on the subject). I don't think there's any time period in the Star Wars timeline that events significant enough to be a new movie trilogy can occur without spoiling some die-hard fan's life. There's just too much Star Wars stuff out there. Unless 7, 8 and 9 are going to be movie adaptations of some pre-existing EU stuff, like the Heir to the Empire trilogy people have been clamouring for for nigh-on twenty years now, a new trilogy of movies is going to infringe on something previously canonical. But lets not pretend that the prequels didn't already do that. Boba Fett's backstory was completely rewritten, for example, and I used to know way more examples than that. The Prequels don't even match up with the Original Trilogy, with our buddy ol' Admiral Motti not even believing that Jedi ever existed. Boy, I used to be way better at fruitless internet Star Wars arguing.

Anyway, I can't really see another Star Wars trilogy capturing my attention the way it might have about ten years ago. I think they've waited too long to get the old cast back together, at least in leading roles (because nobody goes to see movies about old people), and the Skywalker saga is well and truly over and finished. They could always send Jaden and Jaina on adventures (they'd be played by Jaden and Willow Smith, of course), with Uncle Luke and friends there in supporting roles. Who knows?

If they're already setting a release date for Episode 7 Disney must already have some plans. I'll see'em for sure, because how often do you get to see a Star Wars movie with a number after it in theatres? I suppose the answer may eventually become 'pretty frequently' if Star Wars starts getting sequelized and rebooted every decade like all other franchises, but that's just inevitable. In the endless, unwritten expanse of human history lying before us, people aren't just going to stop making movies. You can't expect the dubstep-speaking kids of 2077 to watch a 100 year old movie to understand what's going on in their generation's Star Wars.

#34 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Are Jaden and Jaina still around? I remember that I stopped reading EU books some time during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, and even then I was always limited by which books my local libraries had so I didn't read many series all the way through. I'm pretty sure I remember Luke and Mara Jade getting married, though I know they had a kid some time later. I think Chewie's death was about the point when I checked out for good, because I didn't hold with my beloved characters being killed off in some lousy old books, y'know?

Jacen became a Sith Lord and died.

#35 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Mara Jade died too. Though that was more to troll Zahn then anything else.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#36 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Why are you all so freaking out? Yes, Disney isnt known for making good films... maybe not even decent films, but Lucas will be working on the film as supervisor. You think he will let them really spoil it? Give them a chance.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#37 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

POPULAR

Ah ha ha, oh this is good.

Why are you all so freaking out? Yes, Disney isnt known for making good films... maybe not even decent films, but Lucas will be working on the film as supervisor.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And that's not even covering any of the Animated Features.

You think he will let them really spoil it? Give them a chance.

Posted Image

Personally, I'd have been more worried if he still retained any real power over the franchise. At least now we might get some inkling of originality.

Edited by Rickard the Bearded, 30 October 2012 - 04:31 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#38 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,965 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Jacen became a Sith Lord and died.

He... Really? What about old Tenel Ka? Ah. Aha.

(Also his name was Jacen? Now my Jaden Smith joke is even less funny :P)

Why are you all so freaking out? Yes, Disney isnt known for making good films... maybe not even decent films, but Lucas will be working on the film as supervisor. You think he will let them really spoil it? Give them a chance.

Well, that's certainly an interesting take. I really don't know what to expect from 'Disney' anymore, now that they're such a diverse conglomerate. I don't know if you can really form an opinion of something from only hearing that it's a Disney production. I'm just looking through the list of their movies on Wikipedia now and there's no real pattern to any of it. There are no inferences to be made until we hear which particular studio is making Star Wars.

Personally, I'd hope that Lucas isn't involved beyond a vague story outline, but we all know where that argument goes. I do kind of think that there might have been more... I don't know, integrity to Star Wars if he'd taken the rights to his grave. I wouldn't argue that it's a good thing, but Star Wars has always been one of the only big IPs out there that isn't owned by some faceless studio; as much as I dislike certain consequences of that, it's a weird feeling to know that Star Wars is just another thing alongside Pirates of the Caribbean and Herbie now. But, then, the thing you're supposed to worry about when a big company takes over your favourite thing is that they're going to cheapen it by putting out a million tie-in comics and books and games and TV shows, and you don't really have to worry about that for Star Wars.

#39 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

¨Bringing Prince of Persia here is not that smart. I didnt seen it, but from what I heard, it has from the game series only the name of the film and characters. From there any other connection ends... maybe also place. I was referring to other films that are low-budget, or some of their TV shows. But Ocelot brought here interesting thing. Disney is really large (larger than I thought), and while on one side they were making films like Dadnapped, Lemonade Mouth, Camp Rocks and High School Musical (only te first is decent), but on the other there are the movies which Mr. Rikardo brought. Tron: Legacy, and The Avengers. So I say "lets wait and see, not curse and banish".

We dont know how will that end, or even at what time the Ep. VII will take place. There appeared so many events after the original trilogy that we cnat be sure if it will be Thrawn's Campaign, Yuuzhan Vong War, Second Galactic Civil War, or even if it will dont take place in Legacy the Second Imperial Civil War. Or if it will not be even completely new settings in the cap 40'-130 ABY. Or beyond. When the Extended Cut for Mass Effect 3 was announced, I was not very trusting it, but I knew that I cant judge it before I will see it. Thought now I am not that satisfied with it, it at least makes sense the ending. But back to Star Wars.

Many other companies were making stuff for Star Wars, like Marvel with the comics. And so? Did it ruined the franchise? We cant know, three years is a lot of time, and maybe Disney will surprise us and bring great experience with storyline as good as the original one. Or it can literally smash the franchise like the Star Wars concerts... or something like that, I dont remember now what exactly wasnt ever successful, but something there was. So I say lets wait until more info is revealed, and than we can start arguing if the new episode will be successful or doomed.

And Ocelot, Jaden was name of character in Jedi Academy, Jaden Korr :D

And for the "dancing Star Wars game" on that... I cant remember the name of that platform :D Well, there were some even more weirder games, and I see the dancing as a way how to little make fun of the franchise :) More relaxing. Like the "Mass Effect Cartoon" April fool :D And if not games, the merchandise. I wont be surprised if there will be vibrators with Vader's or Chewie's head... Kinect!

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#40 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Bringing Prince of Persia here is not that smart.

Indeed. And there's another reason why dragging Prince of Persia into these useless arguments isn't smart.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users