The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7679 replies to this topic

#7641 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,089 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:19 PM

This guy SonicFox seems like good people. He's so hilariously nervous he can barely even string a sentence together :P

PUBG has a new map. I was under the impression that PUBG was about as ancient as the pyramids at this point and all the cool kids had moved on to Fortnite, but what do I know?

I think it's time for Weezer to introduce the live Devil Trigger performance, you guys.

FRUSTRATION IS GETTING BIGGER

EDIT - World premiere announcement from Bioware, and I know it's never going to be Mass Effect, and I know even if it was Mass Effect I shouldn't get hyped, but I still get hyped anyway. It's a CG trailer for a new Dragon Age, anyway. Oh well.

#7642 ABSplastic

ABSplastic

Legionnaire

• Nova Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:39 PM

uKYqA9I.png

JUST ONE MORE AWARD ARTHUR, HAVE SOME FAITH I TOLD YOU I HAVE A PLAN

#7643 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:43 PM

This guy SonicFox seems like good people. He's so hilariously nervous he can barely even string a sentence together :P

For the most part, yeah. Some people consider him a bit obnoxious with the fur suit and all, especially when he plays his sets in it with the helmet on and all. Other than that he's alright. He started on the scene with Skullgirls iirc, but he mainly competes in NetherRealm Studios games and DBFZ currently. He's won 4 EVOs for Injustice, Mortal Kombat X, and Dragon Ball. It's kinda scary how much he dominates in whatever game he decides to compete in. Absolutely one of USA's best players in general.

#7644 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:46 PM

Hey guys just so you know you shouldn't vape because it makes you four times more likely to start smoking for real, check out my zine.

EDIT - Live music from RDR2. If they suddenly break out into the house building theme I'm going to lose it. "WEEEEELL LEMME HAVE A RULE AN' A SAW AN' A BOARD AN' AH'LL CUUUUUT IT!"

EDIT - Here's that isometric pixel-art Stranger Things beat'em-up you all asked for. Ed Boon has a trailer for Mortal Kombat XI, and there's a new Psychonauts 2 trailer too.

#7645 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:02 PM

Interesting song choice, Ed.

#7646 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:08 PM

Phil Spencer is here to announce a DMC5 demo coming TOMORROW, exclusive to Xbox (for the time being, I'm assuming). And now the DMC5 V trailer!

How does this game look so good?

We've just sailed past the two hour mark and there is no end in sight to this show.

EDIT - Corey Barlog wins Best Director for Dad of Boi.

#7647 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,877 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

Man, the the wallets of preteen parents really vote at these things, huh? 

#7648 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:31 PM

Surprise Persona 5 announcement?

Is it a Switch port?

EDIT - Joker from Persona 5 is the first Smash Ultimate DLC character. I hope there is a Persona 5 Switch port some day, because I'm never going to get through that game sat in front of my TV. At least on the Switch I could just chip away at it here and there.

Here's the full DMC5 trailer:

God of War wins Game of the Year.

#7649 ABSplastic

ABSplastic

Legionnaire

• Nova Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:47 PM

God of War

MMSOXmL.jpg

DUTCH I INSIST WE DO BETTER

#7650 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:53 PM

MMSOXmL.jpg

DUTCH I INSIST WE DO BETTER

YOU... INSIST!?

Well, that was that. Metroid Prime 4 was a conspicuous no-show, and I guess Hideki Kamiya was just there to watch the show, but that wasn't too bad. This whole thing gets more like a real Hollywood awards show every year, for better and worse. More professional, but also more long-winded. Oh well, not too bad. I'm going to be playing a DMC5 demo within hours, so I can't complain.

#7651 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

Here's a quick roundup of some TGA stuff:

Rage 2:

Far Cry New Dawn:

Persona 5's Joker in Smash Ultimate:

Dragon Age: The Dread Wolf Rises:

The Pathless, from the makers of Abzu, your requisite great-looking indie game:

#7652 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:57 PM

On the heels of Joker's invitation to Smash, we have rumours about Persona 5 coming to Switch, and a 'complete' version of Persona 5 (ala Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden) coming in 2019. I hope the Switch port part of it comes true, at least, because I haven't gone back to Persona 5 on the PS4 since last year and I think the only way I'd get through it is on the Switch. I don't know if this rumour is anything worth paying attention to, though. The leakers credentials seem to be that he leaked a Granblue Fantasy fighting game last week, which was just announced officially over the weekend, so he's got one thing right so far, at least.

Speaking of Granblue Fantasy, I still don't really know what it is, but Platinum is still making that action RPG about it and here's some new gameplay:

Here's some Rage 2 gameplay, with the tall man you might remember from E3 talking about "double yump"s:

And finally, I don't know if anyone else will care about this, but my favourite idiot LPers on Youtube, The Super Best Friends, have called it quits. I've been watching them play stuff for... boy, several years now, including a whole run of DMC LPs they've been doing over the last couple of months in the run up to DMC5, but that's that. It seems like the strain of basically being friends as a job for several years eventually got to be too much and none of them really want to keep doing it.

EDIT - Here's the final Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer:

#7653 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 03:25 AM

Here's your semi-weekly half-hearted video game news update of things that Ocelot thought were interesting:

The Steam Winter Sale is under way, despite this clearly being Summer in the best hemisphere. I bought Thronebreaker, so hopefully I remember how to play Gwent pretty quickly.

Info about a Resident Evil 2 Remake "1-Shot Demo" has been discovered on the Microsoft Store. It sounds like you get 30 minutes to get to the end of the demo (per try, not 30 minutes total). It's not available for download yet, but hopefully soon.

There's a new trailer for Remedy's upcoming game Control, narrated by the voice of Max Payne, James McCaffrey:

#7654 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

Bungie has split from Activision, retaining full control of the Destiny IP.

Is the nightmare finally over?

#7655 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

That's great news! It's so rare that the story of a developer shacking up with one of the big publishers ends in anything but "Everyone was fired and they closed down the studio and the IP is dead now". I wonder what this means for Destiny 3, whether it might end up being a lower budget thing with fewer microtransaction scandals or what.

In other news, Catherine is now on Steam for $20:

It's Catherine Classic, mind you, which is not the Catherine: Full Body Edition that's about to release on PS4. That one has extra content, and this one seems like it's just the original PS3/360 game on PC. Still, though, that's pretty cool. I bought Catherine on PS3 for like $6 years ago, and of course never got around to actually playing it. Oh well, one of these days :P

And speaking of ports of Japanese games, the Final Fantasy re-releases coming to Xbox One and Switch have release dates now. April 16th for FFX/X-2 and April 30th for FFXII. I'm a big fan of big long RPGs coming to the Switch, because that's the only way I'm ever going to get through such long games. Now we just need that Persona 5 port and I'll have like five years worth of Switch backlog :P

And finally, a playable demo for Resident Evil 2 Remake is rolling out on the PS4 and Xbox One stores. It's time-limited, though: you only get 30 minutes to play through to the end of the demo. It looks like people are finishing it in well under that, though, and you can obviously play the demo once each on multiple different accounts if you want to.

image0.jpg

EDIT - Also, Dragon's Dogma is coming to Switch in April and Yoshi's Crafted World comes out March 29th. All these little announcements of Nintendo games really make it seem like there might have been a Nintendo Direct scheduled for around this time that got cancelled, or something.

#7656 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

I don't know if anyone has any energy left for the latest twist in the tale of what was once Amy Hennig's very own Star Wars game, but here goes:

They cancelled it again.

So, for those of you playing along at home, this is the game that has its roots way back in the first version of Uncharted 4 back when Amy Hennig was at Naughty Dog. Some kind of thing went down and Amy Hennig ended up leaving/being forced out of Naughty Dog under circumstances that have never been revealed, and she and her writing partner Todd Stashwick found themselves at E3 working with Visceral Games on what basically seemed like the original Uncharted 4 draft transplanted into Star Wars. We saw exactly this much footage of it back at E3 2016:

YeBocPL.gif

Following that, the game was conspicuously absent at E3 2017, and later that year we found out that EA had apparently half-cancelled the game, fired poor Amy Hennig again, shut down Visceral Games and fired everyone of them, too, and handed the game off to EA Vancouver to retool it as some kind of open world thing.

Of course, we didn't see it at E3 2018, either, and now today we get the news that it's been cancelled for good. From the Kotaku article:

Since the publication of this article, I’ve talked to several more people familiar with EA Vancouver’s now-cancelled open-world Star Wars game. This project, which was code-named Orca, was very early in development but would involve playing as a scoundrel or bounty hunter who could explore various open-world planets and work with different factions across the Star Wars universe.

Welp. Hopefully this leads to EA losing the Star Wars licence sooner rather than later. I really can't imagine Disney is happy with this; they've had it since 2013 and have still only managed to put out two widely-disliked first person shooters.

#7657 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,114 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:47 AM

To be fair though EAs retooled game was just a star wars Destiny copycat. Said to be built around multiplayer with open world's and planets to visit.

Kinda odd just week or two after Bungee flips off Activision we see EA execute their project almost immediately. Seems very odd how fast it happened. I wonder if Bungie made a new deal with EA to possibly work on a star wars game. It would be difficult for Bungie to step up to publish Destiny 3 alone I would imagine.

Also EA is running out of time for Star Wars games. 202x I forgot which year. Thinking early 2020s the license runs out.

Next Batch of consoles.....

PS5 - 8 or more cores? 16 or 32 GB RAM? GPU around 8-15 Tflops. MAY 2019

XB4 - 8 or more cores? 16 or 32 GB RAM? GPU around 8-15 Tflops. JUNE 2019

GOOGLE BOX OF LIGHT - MARCH 18th.

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

-New Tapatalk thing. They destroyed my old board.

#7658 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,877 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

In six years they've managed to only put out the same game twice, and a bunch of garbage mobile games. I'm incredibly confused about what the hell EA is doing with this license.

From Reddit:

If you look at the six years between say... 2002 and 2008, we had the following games, (excluding kiddy titles, shit mobile tie ins, and not double counting expansions of already listed games):

Bounty Hunter, Galactic Battlegrounds: CC, Attack of the Clones, Racer Revenge, Jedi Starfighter, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Star Wars Galaxies, KOTOR1, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Rogue Squadron III, Battlefront, KOTOR2, Republic Commando, Revenge of the Sith, Battlefront II, Empire at War, LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Star Wars II, LEGO Star Wars Complete, Battlefront: Renegade Squadron, and The Force Unleashed.

6 years, 20 games spanning FPS, RTS, third person action game, flight combat games, MMO and racing games.

Not all of those games were winners. But at least we had any games at all.

#7659 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,089 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Honestly, even EA themselves were still making interesting games back in that period. That was the era of stuff like Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Syndicate, SSX, Alice, Spore; EA actually published video games back then. If they'd had the Star Wars licence back then we might have had some good stuff.

Instead, their getting the licence coincided with this move of theirs to the model of trying to establish microtransaction platforms instead of making video games, while publishing one or two indie games a year to maintain the illusion that they aren't all bad. They've chased profits so doggedly that they're now in this corner where the shareholders will revolt if they make anything other than sports games and shooters because that's where all the money is. And because you can't make a Star Wars soccer game, and apparently they can't make an open world game either, that only leaves Star Wars shooters.

Because if there's one thing I think of when I think of Star Wars, it's mindlessly shooting dozens upon dozens of people in the face!

#7660 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

Remember that game Metroid Prime 4 that you definitely forgot about?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users