1 reply to this topic

#1 Spark

Spark

Sparkie92#0038

• Nova Patron
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

TV show's opening, because it's awesome:

"Two hundred years after migrating into space, mankind is in turmoil.
When a reluctant ship’s captain and washed-up detective find themselves involved in the case of a missing girl,
what they discover brings our solar system to the brink of civil war, and exposes the greatest conspiracy in human history."

The Expanse is a series by a pen-name author James S.A. Corey that began back in 2011. It tells its story through many point of views, most notably a hard-boiled detective named Josephus Miller in the first book. But the primary anchor of POV is Captain James Holden and the crew of the salvaged (not stolen) Frigate Rocinante. Since then it's expanded to six books and numerous short stories, with 3 more books in the works. Just last year, Syfy adapted it into a (surprisingly faithful) tv series, currently in its 2nd season.

Books are as follows:
1. Leviathan Wakes
2. Caliban's War
3. Abaddon's Gate
4. Cibola Burn
5. Nemesis Games
6. Babylon's Ashes
7. Persepolis Rising (coming in 2017)
8. ??? (2018ish)

9. Final book

I've recently fallen in love with the book series; I'll probably chalk that up to the sharp dialogue and the relative strictness to the 'hard' side of the sci-fi scale. In fact, I'm counting Leviathan Wakes among my favorite books of all time. Currently making my way through Caliban's War.

I'd love to drum up some conversation from people that have read it or are interested in reading.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#2 Risk

Risk

• Nova Patron
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:10 AM

Don't know anything about the books, but I powered through the first season of the show the day before yesterday and I'm catching up on the second season. I love how intense it gets and all the crazy twists that happen, along with the hard sci-fi nature of it. Probably my new favorite show since Battlestar, I don't see the new Star Trek show touching this one at all. It's kind of a small detail, but I love how Martian ships have blue emergency lights instead of red ones whenever they go into combat, it's a neat subversion of the whole "red alert" stereotype.

xgd0s9.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users