Photo

ZONE - The Odyssey (Victorian spacecraft)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Space. Out here, it was hard to tell the time by the various cycles one traditionally used, but the crew of The Odyssey had their tried and true methods. It was quite simple, really: their clocks worked on Terra Nova’s time. Right now, it was bright and early in the morning… Or, at least, it would’ve been back on Terra Nova.

But Captain Valerie Chase awoke to the endless, icy reaches of black space. Sitting up and stretching, she gazed out her cabin window at the unfathomable depths of glittering stars in their inky sea of nothing. To others, it may have been daunting, perhaps even sickening, to think of what was out there, but not to the Captain of the Odyssey.

Valerie went about her usual morning routine as she always did and then finally donned her uniform before she set out into the pristine ship halls. Other crewmen were already awake and hurrying about to tend to their duties, offering her crisp salutes and wishing her a good morning as she passed. Valerie returned each one, never missing a beat.

It was impossible to miss the Captain when she stepped out onto the bridge, the door softly but swiftly sliding open before her. Bright blue-white lights overhead lit the entire bridge, the walls of which were lined with great computer stations. That light served well in drawing attention to her: tall and athletic, Valerie wore her raven black hair longer than regulation standards and often left it loose, despite recommendations. Few bothered to question her, particularly with her air of authority, which her sharp, striking features and aquiline nose only accentuated.

Her frosty blue eyes quickly swept over the bridge as she approached the blue and white chair, its armrests containing various control panels, that took center stage. She swiveled to face the enormous window and view-screen, which currently looked out across the vastness of space. From the corners of her vision, she could see the communications officer and the navigator sitting almost on either side of her, each manning their own station and staring down at computers and control panels.

Drawing in a deep breath of the crisp, filtered air, Valerie said, “Lieutenant Winters, report.”

“Our breakfast is still terrible, and a few minutes ago I fixed my hair to my reflection in Conrad’s glasses without him noticing,” replied an incredibly sarcastic woman’s voice from a few feet away, off to Valerie’s right. In a more conversational tone, she added, “How’re you this lovely morning?”

Valerie turned her chair enough to face the middle-aged woman who briefly regarded her with a nonchalant, sideways glance. She wore a white earpiece, and she sat at yet another computer station. Long, brown hair fell down about her shoulders and down her back, clearly following Valerie’s example. Lieutenant Andrea Winters’s earth-green eyes met Valerie’s, and she offered her a remarkably cheerful smile, crossing her legs and turning back to her computers.

“Bored,” Valerie admitted with a small laugh. “And now, Lieutenant, the actual report, if you please.”

“Yes, Captain. If you’re bored, it should make you happy: Victorian High Command wants to talk to you right away.”

Valerie arched a long, thin eyebrow. “Did they try to contact us overnight?”

“No. Terra Nova didn’t explode, and they didn’t okay drinking during work hours, so it clearly wasn’t that urgent.” Andrea flipped a small switch. “I’ll put you right with them. Channel one,” she finished, gesturing over her shoulder to Valerie at the same instant that a communicator panel on one of her armrests chirped.

---

It was less than an hour later that a team stood assembled in the shuttle bay, briefed on their mission and ready to go. They had received every ounce of information currently available from Victorian High Command - and they knew they would almost certainly be joined on the surface of the planet by some members of Grimm's Army. But they hadn't known who else was going to be part of their own team until they reached the shuttle bay.

They had some time to mingle and check their gear before they boarded the shuttle to land on the planet. As one entered the shuttle bay and regarded each present individual in turn, they would certainly see some interesting faces. While some may have been previously acquainted, the Odyssey was home to over four-hundred crewmen, and plenty of them may have never even seen each other.

The first one in the room, who had been waiting for them, was a muscle-bound man clad in a heavy suit of armor ((Hancock, NPC)). He was chomping on a very archaic-looking cigar like he had an incredible desire to smoke it, but everyone knew he wasn't allowed to smoke... especially not in the shuttle bay.

"Well, well, well, what a fine bunch of skinny little men and skinny little ladies," he growled, one hand resting on a massive Harpy Eagle pistol despite being in the company of allies. "Hell, I can't tell some of you apart."

His eyes darted over to Saljen and seemed to regard her with far more respect than anyone else present. He gave her a nod before he returned his attention elsewhere, apparently in indication that she was a rare exception to his statement.

A final figure joined them then: a very tall, lanky Victorian agent trying to catch his breath ((Levi Novak, NPC)). His relatively late arrival caught Hancock's attention, but all he did was briefly show his teeth as he bit down harder on his cigar again. Levi just gave a small, rather sheepish, wave.

Nearby, a shuttle was prepped and ready to go once they were given command, though a few crewmen were still double-checking the craft. But, for now, they had at least a few moments to themselves.

((Welcome to Awakening! You should only post here if your character is in Victory or Yavakaro. Right now, we're just doing introductions and initial interactions, so use this time to get to know each other. DM posts will usually happen about once a week (unless I'm replying to someone as one of my NPCs, in which case I will reply a lot faster).

For convenience, here's a list of the characters present at this time...

• Kit Varsiti (Burgs)
  • Saljen Valkairen (Sareth)
  • "Rico" Capulet (Cappy)
  • Cayden Warmann (Metalic)
  • Kaori Kuribayashi (Ambad)
  • Syryn Asvasty (Burgs)
  • Levi Novak (NPC)
  • Hancock (NPC)

))

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#2 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Rico cracked his knuckles, surveying the events unfolding before him in the shuttle bay.  This assignment sounded mundane at first, but any mention of skrakki and rescue missions in the same document meant that this would be anything but a cake walk.  The goateed Warrant Officer knew he was being sent as a pilot and that those needing evacuation came from CONON, a private corporation, and even the native Council of Harmony, but otherwise he knew a lot less about the situation than he would like.  Still, the Odyssey was the closest to respond to the distress buoy, so they would do their duty.

The marine pilot scanned his dossier on his helmet’s heads-up display, looking through the other names on the team, none of which he recognized.  The Odyssey was a big ship, so that development did not surprise him.  Still, it would be difficult to work out group dynamics and get everyone working together right before a mission.  They’d have to develop all that on the fly, he supposed.

A scarred, intimidating man with bulging muscles was there to greet them.  He didn’t look like the usual officer but it was clear he was in charge in some capacity.  He did look like a Marine, through and through.  Rico could usually sense such kindred spirits.

"Well, well, well, what a fine bunch of skinny little men and skinny little ladies," he growled, one hand resting on a massive Harpy Eagle pistol despite being in the company of allies. "Hell, I can't tell some of you apart."

Removing his armored flight helmet to reveal a cheeky grin on his face and one hand stroking his goatee, Capulet quipped, “Heh, if that includes me, sounds like you’re in bad need of some shore leave, boss.  Or at least meeting nicer ladies, not that the Corps issues ‘em.”  

Extending a hand to shake, the pilot added, “Warrant Officer Federico Capulet, sir.  One of your chauffeurs for today.  You in charge of this op?

Moana-disney-princess-39692805-268-140.g

"We keep our Island in our mind
And when it's time to find home
We know the way"

#3 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

Heh, if that includes me, sounds like you’re in bad need of some shore leave, boss.  Or at least meeting nicer ladies, not that the Corps issues ‘em.”  

Hancock gave a snarlish grin. "Nah, I think you're easy to tell. But I'm really not sure about that skinny blue-haired kid over there - might need to ask before I say anything," he replied, gesturing with a lazy hand wave in the general direction of Cayden, giving a guttural chuckle.

Extending a hand to shake, the pilot added, “Warrant Officer Federico Capulet, sir.  One of your chauffeurs for today.  You in charge of this op?

Turning, Hancock gave Rico a handshake that he felt like could've easily crushed the bones in his hand, if Hancock had so desired. "You might say that," he replied. "Officially, I'm not, but unofficially, I might be the highest rank here and I'm being brought along to keep an eye on everyone. And, officially, I can't give orders to intelligence officers," he rolled his eyes, nodding in the direction of Levi... and, in a mutter, adding something very impolite about Victorian Intelligence.

"Anyway," he said, his hand returning to the pistol on his hip once he'd finished shaking Rico's hand. "Just call me Hancock. No rank, no other name." He took the chewed-on cigar out of his teeth and flicked it a surprising distance into a waste receptacle. "Don't ask."

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#4 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:07 AM

Kit Varsiti scarcely offered the other members of the Odyssey’s team so much as a glance before her attention returned to Eyeball. The light drone was currently inactive, cradled in her arms like a baby might. Granted, that was because the small machine was pretty much her baby, but that was beside the point.

She only glanced around as a distinctly large hunk of muscle who didn’t seem willing to remove his hand from an equally massive pistol began barking at everyone present. Kit subtly rolled her eyes when she was sure the man wasn’t looking, and briefly glanced at the others around to see how they were taking it. One of their number was actually getting chummy with the brute, making Varsiti huff ever-so-quietly, noticing at least the big man showed some extra disdain towards a rather lanky agent of similar height, if not girth.

Seeing him got the techie’s brows to raise slightly, and Kit took in the view of Levi Novak with less subtlety than she meant to. With him doubtlessly noticing, Varsiti sighed to herself before starting to move over, deciding an attempt at conversation might make things marginally less awkward.

“...Hey.” She offered when she finally got within conversational distance. “You, uh… running a little late?” Kit asked with a cocked brow, clearly noticing his somewhat heavy breathing.

-----

Syryn was a little out of breath by the time she skittered into the shuttlebay, pausing by the entrance by rather tall - if thin, by human standards - man who seemed to be in a similar situation. The Kaashnyshki couldn’t imagine what had him in such a hurry. He wasn’t a handful of inches tall and hauling a medical kit behind him on a hover trolley of all things. The trolley wasn’t even particularly good, for frell’s sake. Asvasty sighed as she let go of the hefty thing before it decided to drift - again - and take her arm with it. She really needed to check the strafing repulsors before they left…

Though, as she looked up at the variety of beings gathered - well, okay, variety was a strong word when they were mostly human - she realized maybe she just needed someone else to take the damn thing off her far-too-small hands. It was meant for them, after all.

The tiny alien’s mouth flattened into a single line of concentration as her eyes wandered the room, looking from person to person. Most, naturally, ignored her as they began chatting amongst themselves… which, fortunately, left her with fewer options to choose from. The Sarran was quickly removed from that list, Syryn deciding that she’d end up smashing her by accident at some point. Thus, Asvasty found herself with only one option.

Cayden Warmann wasn’t her first choice, the dye in his hair suggesting a rebellious, careless attitude that contrasted rather sharply with the uniform he displayed. Puzzled, but figuring this left him a safer bet than she-hulk, Syryn began to cautiously make her way over to the (comparatively) towering human, dragging her medical kit along. Assuming he hadn’t seen the sizeable medpack floating towards him mysteriously, Asvasty skittered atop it and put her fingers to her lips, letting out a sharp - if distinctly quiet to everyone else in the room - whistle.

“Hey, human!” She called up, cupping her hands around her mouth in the hope of being a little easier to hear. Maybe if Cayden bothered crouching she’d be able to talk more normally. “I could use a hand! ...Especially one your size!”

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#5 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Turning, Hancock gave Rico a handshake that he felt like could've easily crushed the bones in his hand, if Hancock had so desired. "You might say that," he replied. "Officially, I'm not, but unofficially, I might be the highest rank here and I'm being brought along to keep an eye on everyone. And, officially, I can't give orders to intelligence officers," he rolled his eyes, nodding in the direction of Levi... and, in a mutter, adding something very impolite about Victorian Intelligence.

A spook, huh?” Rico mused in a hushed tone.  “Can’t help but wonder what he’s doin’ on a distress call like this, but I know better than to ask.

"Anyway," he said, his hand returning to the pistol on his hip once he'd finished shaking Rico's hand. "Just call me Hancock. No rank, no other name." He took the chewed-on cigar out of his teeth and flicked it a surprising distance into a waste receptacle. "Don't ask."

Nodding politely, Capulet responded, “Understood, Hancock.  My callsign’s Malteser, but you can call me ‘Rico,’ too, when the stuffed shirts aren’t listening.

Scratching the back of his head as he looked back at the rest of their motley crew, Rico saw that just about everyone was otherwise engaged and remarked, “Guess I’d better get started on those preflight checks.  I’ll be sure to give the newbies a quick safety briefing before dustoff, but lemme know if you or the spook want to address the whole group before we leave.”  

The Sarran with the mysterious purple mask caught his eye as he stepped toward his shuttle.  She also drew the pilot’s curiosity, but he remembered that some Harmony Council citizens were also on the planet.  She was probably here to ensure their safety, or she was with the Yavakaro contingent, given her parade colors.  He tossed her a casual two-fingered salute before climbing the shuttle’s onramp.  

Once inside the cockpit, Rico first made sure to stow his shotgun in the weapon rack closest to his seat.  He then ran one last calibration of his armored flightsuit’s nanomesh layer, his uniform flashing through various colors and patterns before settling back into the familiar blue and white “parade colors.”  As his suit ensured it could reach smooth transitions, he checked his knife, pistol, and various equipment pouches and holsters to ensure everything was where he needed it and sealed tight.  While having loose articles jostling around in zero G was amusing if it merely involved keychains or spare change, the joke quickly wore off when, say, grenades entered the picture.

Satisfied with the status of his equipment, Rico finally settled into the pilot’s chair before replacing his hardened flight helmet.  He left the visor up as he fiddled with his comm headset.  The darn thing always seemed to move when he put his helmet on.  After getting the errant piece of tech to cooperate, Capulet began working in similar fashion with his various flight instruments and displays, giving his helmet time to link back into the system and calibrate his heads-up display.  A lot of flying was instinct and snap decisions, sure, but any pilot who ignored the mundane details and preparation wouldn’t last long in the cold, unforgiving void of space.  His fingers flew like lightning as he flipped switches, turned dials, and, of course, pressed buttons in an order that would seem nonsensically random and overwhelming to some, yet were ingrained in his memory.  He hardly even glanced at the datapad with his checklist, having even memorized the locations of each checkbox, acknowledging them with a simple tap of his stylus when he had met the requirements.  He moved with the confidence, or even borderline arrogance of someone with both the training and experience to back it up.  

We know the way"

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,982 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Levi certainly didn't miss the examination Kit gave him from a few feet away, and he blinked, glancing away from her to pretend he didn't notice as some color rose into his face. When Syryn gave her comparatively quiet whistle, Levi winced despite its lack of volume.

Kit approached then, saying, “...Hey. You, uh… running a little late?” Kit asked with a cocked brow, clearly noticing his somewhat heavy breathing.

Novak managed a rather lopsided, sheepish little grin. "Yeah, you could say that," he replied, giving a shrug. "I, uh... just had to take care of something before I got here." He absently fingered some of the pouches on his belt, almost in a nervous fashion.

After a second, he looked at her again after his gaze had wandered, sticking his hand out to shake. "Sorry - Agent Levi Novak," he said. "Nice to meet you."

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#7 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

Saljen had stowed her massive anti-materiel rifle in the shuttle upon arrival —though doing so had required her to removed the weapon's long barrel, which occupied its own separate slot in the weapons' rack next to the body of the gun— and was now examining the other members of team.

"Well, well, well, what a fine bunch of skinny little men and skinny little ladies. Hell, I can't tell some of you apart."

She returned Hancock's nod, acknowledging the apparent compliment. Although, in point of fact, she actually had once been mistaken for a man —but, in her defense, the person doing the mistaking had been quite drunk at the time...

However, she couldn't disagree with his assessment; the composition of the team concerned her, especially considering that they might have to fight Skrakki. Hancock —whom she had never met, but knew of by reputation from some of the other crew; no one seemed to know any specifics— who stood across the bay from her, was certainly capable. The bearded pilot —whose sloppy salute she deigned to return with a mere slight nod— looked at least decently capable.

But as for the rest, well... There was a short, waifish woman who, though accompanied by drones, looked to Saljen's critical soldiers' eye like she might get blown away by a stiff breeze. And the skinny blue-haired male looked scarcely better; likewise for the pretty-boy who had arrived last, panting —not a good mark of endurance. Lastly, and most strangely, there was... something that she had originally mistaken for a large spider —though spiders didn't tend to drag around small hover-carts— until she had looked closer and seen the thing possessed a humanoid upper torso, and apparent intelligence. Altogether not very encouraging.

After a moment, she crossed the bay to stand beside Hancock, her wings folded against her back and her helmet tucked into the crook of one arm. "Not much in the way of soldiers if things get ugly" she commented  to the man, after a second, her voice impassive. "I hope the Mercs have better" she continued, referring to the Grimm's Army contingent that would be joining them. "... Or do I?" she reconsidered, thinking out loud. The concept of men who fought solely for money irked her on some basic level. Besides, she had heard some rumors about the outfit's viciousness...

"Do you think we can trust them?" she asked Hancock, putting in the effort to add a slight inquisitive tone to her voice.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#8 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:18 AM

Well, someone was jumpy, Kit quickly noticed. Interesting...

Novak managed a rather lopsided, sheepish little grin. "Yeah, you could say that," he replied, giving a shrug. "I, uh... just had to take care of something before I got here." He absently fingered some of the pouches on his belt, almost in a nervous fashion.

“Taking care of business, huh?” She grinned wryly, leaning in a little as if she was going to ask further… but she shrugged. “Riiight, probably classified or something. Nevermind.” The woman realized a tad sheepishly, backing off.

After a second, he looked at her again after his gaze had wandered, sticking his hand out to shake. "Sorry - Agent Levi Novak," he said. "Nice to meet you."

Kit took it after a moment with a moderate grip. She wasn’t the type to measure another’s strength through a handshake, of all things. That was beneath her. “Heh, it’s no problem. I’m Kit.” She offered. “Kit Varsiti. I suppose I’m the techie in the group.” She added, glancing around at the others. They seemed to be a mix of pilots, muscle, and… gunslinging? She couldn’t quite put a finger on a couple of them, namely blue-hair boy.

“I guess you are, too...?” She asked, sizing him up. He definitely wasn’t muscle, and they already had more than enough pilots… and he didn’t seem to be hauling much in the way of firepower, either.

#9 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,982 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

After a moment, Saljen crossed the bay to stand beside Hancock, her wings folded against her back and her helmet tucked into the crook of one arm. "Not much in the way of soldiers if things get ugly" she commented to the man, after a second, her voice impassive.

Hancock scratched his square chin. "Not really," he grunted in response. "I could snap most of their necks like a chicken's. Imagine what a Skrakki'll do to them." He snorted. "Especially with that one kid dyeing his hair just so he'll stand out."

"I hope the Mercs have better" she continued, referring to the Grimm's Army contingent that would be joining them. "... Or do I?" she reconsidered, thinking out loud. "Do you think we can trust them?" she asked Hancock, putting in the effort to add a slight inquisitive tone to her voice.

"We're not the ones paying, so no," Hancock replied. "They'll stab us in the back first chance they get, probably - as long as they aren't using us to help fight the Skrakki. Can't trust a mercenary." He looked Saljen in the eye and added, giving another nod instead of offering a handshake - apparently he knew Sarran weren't big on handshakes, and assumed that also applied to her. "Hancock, by the way."

Meanwhile, Kit shook Levi's hand - after Levi had just kind of given her a slight nod at the indication that his business was top secret. “Heh, it’s no problem. I’m Kit.” She offered. “Kit Varsiti. I suppose I’m the techie in the group.” She added, glancing around at the others. “I guess you are, too...?” She asked, sizing him up.

"Yeah, I'm pretty much a computer guy," Levi replied, managing a small smile. "And kind of a... information source?" He paused, making a face; that didn't sound quite right. "I was trained to be a solo agent, so I'm kind of a mixed bag," he tried to clarify, cryptic as that still was.

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#10 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,102 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

Cayden Warmann was an experienced pilot and professional. So when the mission was about to begin he was inspecting their shuttle. Rico Capulet was doing the prefligth checks from the cockpit while Cayden was looking over the exterior. It was much easier to check a starfighter than shuttle because of the size and complication, but he liked it nonetheless. It was a perfect excuse to do lazy around but that wasnt his intent, he took his job seriously but with joy.

Everything was perfect, the mechanics in the hangar bay were doing their work well, same as the rest of the ship. Odyssey was the best Victorian explorer after all, no less can be expected.

The new mission was evidently a special case, from the composition of the team to which Cayden was attached as well. Their commander was a big guy, a military man who probably ate too much raw meat as a kid, a hand resting on his large Harpy Eagle pistol. Everyone was getting to talk with one another except for Cayden who continued his inspection. That is until he heard a low voice coming out from somewhere close, but weak that he barely registered it.
Hey, human!” Cayden started looking around but no one was nearby and he havent seen anyone turned to him and calling for him. No alien at least, as he caught the "human" part well. His eyes glanced to the floor and immediately widened in surprise from what he seen. There was a small hoverpad with medical kit, towed by something that looked like a big odd spider.

If not for his eyes he would have mistook it for a normal spider, but it, or rather she, had a human-like upper body and a variation of Victorian uniform made for her size. Like someone sew a doll's body to a plushie spider toy, but she, clearly a woman, was waving at him. He havent heard of any species like that but the galaxy was huge so maybe there were tiny spider-men or... was this a madness? Was it a Madness?! MADNESS?!!! Did the illness of his grandpa caught up with him this early? Well it wasnt defintiely an alcoholic delussions, he didnt drank anything in the last week.

But, this spider-woman looked real, so he crouched to her, still confused, and looked at her. “I could use a hand! ...Especially one your size!” She said. Cayden measured the size of the woman and of her baggage. It made sense.
"Aaaa... sure." He let out from his mouth and grabbed a handle of the hoverpad and pushed it into the shuttle. Likely this female was another member of their team, and defintiely the most abnormal.. He liekd it. Inside Cayden locked the medical kit in the storage so it wont fall out when the shuttle takes off. "There you go, miss..."

Than his ears picked up something that took his attention from the spider outside, toward their supposed commander.
"Especially with that one kid dyeing his hair just so he'll stand out." Oh no. You shouldnt have said that. The pilot moved to the end of the ramp and looked at Hancock with a cheerful face, but his eyes radiated the seriousness of the words he soonafter said.

"Dont question me, boss. I can think that you are nothign but a big guy who compensates something with that big gun on your hip, I can be wrong, so can you." Cayden than returned inside to the tiny woman, crouched to her and gave her a charming smile.

"Sorry for the interruption. What is your name, miss?"

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#11 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

"Not really. I could snap most of their necks like a chicken's. Imagine what a Skrakki'll do to them." He snorted. "Especially with that one kid dyeing his hair just so he'll stand out."

"Dont question me, boss. I can think that you are nothing but a big guy who compensates something with that big gun on your hip, I can be wrong, so can you."

After the young blue-haired man spat silly vitriol at Hancock —apparently, taking remarks about his hair weirdly seriously— for a moment before turning and leaving, Saljen turned back to the other soldier; she gave him a simple glance, before she recalled a rather apt human gesture, and shrugged slightly, as if to say 'The hell was that?'

"We're not the ones paying, so no. They'll stab us in the back first chance they get, probably - as long as they aren't using us to help fight the Skrakki. Can't trust a mercenary." 

"So we get to just pretend to play nice while waiting to see if they're gonna shoot us in the back. Wonderful" she said flatly.

"Hancock, by the way."

"Saljen" she replied, returning the nod. But then she remembered that humans typically greeted each other by grasping hands and shaking —an act that, despite her long exposure to it, still struck her as slightly odd— and realized that he had intentionally not done so in deference to her kind's aversion to such. After an instant, she proffered her hand for Hancock to shake; it might not be her custom, but it was theirs, and anything that helped them stick together was important —especially as they might not be able to trust their would-be 'allies'.

"I didn't even know we had spiders on this crew" she commented after a moment, glancing at the tiny speck of life that the blue-haired man was now apparently talking to.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#12 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

"Yeah, I'm pretty much a computer guy," Levi replied, managing a small smile. "And kind of a... information source?" He paused, making a face; that didn't sound quite right. "I was trained to be a solo agent, so I'm kind of a mixed bag," he tried to clarify, cryptic as that still was.

“...Uh-huh.” Kit said at length, one eyebrow cocked, again. “Soooo you’re an good old-fashioned flash-drive?” She couldn’t help but tease, supposing what he meant involved some sort of cybernetics. Those were common enough, especially for some intelligence agent like himself, and if he needed to work computers and carry information - a lot of it, probably - then the most efficient way was simply slipping a few metal parts into his fles-

She shuddered involuntarily at the mental image that gave her. Despite having the option, Varsiti had not gone through any sort of cybernetic operation simply because the idea of melding flesh and metal was… gross, really. There was a certain purity to her relationship with her purely mechanical drones.

“Bet you’ve got some nice, shiny chrome under that suit of yours…” She mused, partly-distracted by her own thoughts. Her eyes quickly focused back on him, though, and Kit flashed a small, apologetic smile, as she was pretty sure he’d notice her space out, however briefly it might have been...

-----

Well, it took him a second, but finally the human glanced down, his eyes immediately widening in surprise. Syryn braced herself to dodge as the human wasn’t calming down very quickly, and that usually meant she was about to get stepped on

However, rather than raising his foot, the human crouched down and seemed to gather himself, looking between her and her load as if considering what to do. This wasn’t exactly new to the Kaashnyshk, so she held still and rather impatiently awaited assistance. Eventually, the human complied.

"Aaaa... sure." He managed, grabbing the medkit with the ease someone his size was quite capable of, and he carried it into the shuttle. Asvasty was about to scramble onto his foot to follow him, but the human stepped away without so much as asking if she wanted a hand up! Syryn bit her tongue before she could demand why he was so rude, reminding herself humans tended to be frightened of insects of her size and… in the case of her lower half, shape. Still, she couldn’t help but grumble inaudibly to herself as she followed the human in, her chitin-plated legs clacking lightly against the ship’s floor as Cayden locked the medical kit up in storage.

"There you go, miss..." He offered, making his way back. Syryn froze, holding her breath as the human stepped ever-closer… though he was aware of her now, and she was safe. More or less.

As if to prove that point, his attention abruptly turned from her to the other humans outside, and his foot missed her by only a few inches as he stepped out toward the ship’s ramp to demand some respect. Apparently his skills had been questioned… but if the boy’s hearing was good enough to catch that from there, his skills were evidently beyond his appearance.

Still, as he shot back at the man who seemed to be in charge, Syryn figured his discipline could use a little work.

That thought quickly vanished, though, as the human stomped right back towards her, making the Kaashnyshk jump. His eyes were on her, though, so as the human crouched within conversational distance, Asvasty forced herself to calm down. It helped when he gave her a surpringly charming smile. That was… that was new.

"Sorry for the interruption. What is your name, miss?"

“...Doctor.” She corrected after a long moment of trying to gather her thoughts again. This human was certainly different, and not just because of his hair. “Doctor Syryn Asvasty. I am… ah, your certified medical practitioner.” The tiny alien added, leaning to look around him - well, more like between his legs - at the rest of the crew outside. “...The only one, it seems.” Syryn murmured, just audible to Cayden, as she let out a sigh.

“...What can I call you?” She asked him after a brief pause, her attention returning to the comparatively huge human. “And if you could give me a hand up, this will be easier for both of us.” She added, casually brushing an errant strand of hair out of her face as she gave her request.

#13 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

His preflight checks finished, Rico sat in his pilot’s chair with his helmet in his lap, alternating a rhythm of snapping his fingers and tapping his helmet’s armored dome.  Idleness bothered him, especially right before a mission.  After a few minutes, it became evident that he was going to have to be sociable, so he retrieved and reslung his shotgun and walked toward the stern of the shuttle, only to find the blue-haired...person...crouched and apparently talking to a hoverpad.

No, that would be too crazy, even for this motley crew.  The pilot squinted as he approached, to see that the officer was addressing...some kind of large spider?  No, wait, she had a human-like upper torso, like the centaurs of very, very ancient Earth legend.  Was she some kind of native, or the product of some mad scientist after a few too many rounds of tequila?  Rico was intrigued, to say the least.

He was just in time for the tail end of a few remarks.  "...Doctor Syryn Asvasty. I am… ah, your certified medical practitioner. ...The only one, it seems.”  

“...What can I call you?” She asked him after a brief pause, her attention returning to the comparatively huge human. “And if you could give me a hand up, this will be easier for both of us.” She added, casually brushing an errant strand of hair out of her face as she gave her request.

Clearing his throat from beneath his open helmet, Rico also squatted down beside the two, offering his left hand to Syryn.  “Please allow me, Doc.  Don’t wanna risk someone getting stepped on in my shuttle.”  He then turned his attention to the blue-haired guy, who he could now see was a Lieutenant, judging by the...man?...’s insignia.  Offering his right hand to shake (he had planned this carefully to keep the spider-doctor safe), he added, “Sorry to interrupt, sir.  I was just in the cockpit running my preflights.  Warrant Officer Federico Capulet, at your service.  Welcome aboard shuttle Whiskey Niner-One.”

We know the way"

#14 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,102 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

...What can I call you?” Asked the spider-woman, than quickly added “And if you could give me a hand up, this will be easier for both of us.” Cayden bowed to offer her a hand to climb on to when second pilot, Capulet, entered from the cockpit and gave a lift to Doctor Syryn. He offered a hand to Cayden who took it and shook as the other man introduced himself in a professional miltiary manner.
"Sorry to interrupt, sir. I was just in the cockpit running my preflights. Warrant Officer Federico Capulet, at your service. Welcome aboard shuttle Whiskey Niner-One."

"Lieutenant Cayden Warmann, Victorian Air Forces." Returned the introduction in the same manner as Rico, but than he smirked and gestured with a hand downwards. "At ease, soldier. This mission seems like it will not be much on the formalities, you can relax, at least in my presence. Its odd to be surroudned with such tight-strapness. I done the preflight inspection on the outside myself and everythign is good. This lady is ready to move on this show on the road." To not make Syryn feel overlooked (something she must feel all the time, Cayden assumed) he looked at her and asked.

"Dr. Asvasty, I likely havent heard about your species yet. It must be hard for you to be surrounded by so many... big things." Ewww, that was such a horrible question. Really not awkward at all.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#15 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

Cayden bowed to offer Syryn a hand to climb onto when a second human - this one being a little familiar as the tiny alien realized he’d been talking to the meaty commando outside wearing a - entered from the cockpit. She braced herself as he came uncomfortably close… but like Cayden, he actually had his eyes on her. A faint blush began to touch her cheeks at all the attention she was getting. Living in the walls of a ship typically left her out of sight of… pretty much everyone. Now there were two humans watching her every move.

Clearing his throat from beneath his open helmet, Rico spoke first.  “Please allow me, Doc.  Don’t wanna risk someone getting stepped on in my shuttle.”

She nodded as he turned away, carefully scurrying onto his palm. Whereas her chitinous legs would’ve left an uncomfortable, ticklish sensation on his skin, the pilot’s gloves fortunately mitigated such a feeling, allowing Asvasty to carefully take a seat without upsetting the human.

It helped he was busy making friends with Cayden as he introduced himself.

“...I was just in the cockpit running my preflights.  Warrant Officer Federico Capulet, at your service.  Welcome aboard shuttle Whiskey Niner-One.”

"Lieutenant Cayden Warmann, Victorian Air Forces." Her first human acquaintance introduced himself, in turn. That… sounded like a higher rank. Syryn’s brow furrowed briefly as she tried to remember how the people on the ship ordered themselves, especially the more militaristic personnel. "At ease, soldier. This mission seems like it will not be much on the formalities, you can relax, at least in my presence. It’s odd to be surrounded with such tight-stranpess. I done the preflight inspection on the outside myself and everything is good. This lady is ready to move on this show on the road."

“...Oh, right, that’s how you refer to your vehicles…” She murmured after a moment of confusion… and she found herself regretting saying that aloud as Cayden turned his attention to her. Fortunately, it wasn’t to discuss that tidbit of information.

"Dr. Asvasty, I likely haven’t heard about your species yet. It must be hard for you to be surrounded by so many... big things."

Each of her tiny, red eyes blinked slowly in a sequence that lasted a second or two. “...I think we can safely assume I’m tiny and you’re all… normal. Ish.” She offered after a lengthy moment. “But I appreciate the perspective… ah, lieutenant right?”

She shifted, uncomfortable again under his concentrated gaze. “...I’m, ah, fine.” The small alien offered, finally looking Cayden in the eye. “I’ve been around people your size all my life, I’ll be okay.” She continued to try assuring him - well, both of them, as she assumed the other human would have similar doubts in her capabilities.

“So, uh, when do we leave, anyway?” She tried to change the subject, trying to peer around the two to see what everyone outside the ship was doing.

#16 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,982 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

Hancock said nothing as Cayden approached and said, "Dont question me, boss. I can think that you are nothing but a big guy who compensates something with that big gun on your hip, I can be wrong, so can you."

Then, abruptly, he returned to speaking to the spider-alien like nothing had happened. Hancock arched a brow, returning Saljen's glance and saying nothing, but he clearly was far from impressed. For the time being, however, he focused on speaking with Saljen.

"Saljen" she replied to his introduction, returning the nod. She then offered her hand, and Hancock didn't question that gesture, giving her hand a very firm shake.

"I didn't even know we had spiders on this crew" she commented after a moment, glancing at the tiny speck of life that the blue-haired man was now apparently talking to.

Hancock snorted. "Yeah," he replied, a bit dryly, apparently in the same situation. "We've got spiders and disrespectful little boys... Makes me wonder just what the hell kind of unit we're running. And him," he nodded toward Levi. "Supposedly, he's some kind of science experiment. Don't know the nature of it, but I have orders to keep an eye on him and tell my unit to do the same. Turns out I wasn't given a unit, so I'll just tell the ones of us that actually seem competent in following orders without backtalk."

Saljen got the distinct impression that didn't include the blue-haired fellow. And, from the brief look Hancock sent in the direction of Cayden and the others, he was planning to address the odd manner in which he had been addressed a few moments ago.

-----

“...Uh-huh.” Kit said at length, one eyebrow cocked, again. “Soooo you’re an good old-fashioned flash-drive?” She couldn’t help but tease.

Levi opened his mouth to respond, but saw her shudder, and he seemed to rethink whatever he had been about to say. Instead, he replied a bit vaguely and hesitantly, "Well, I... like to think I'm more than just a flash drive..."

“Bet you’ve got some nice, shiny chrome under that suit of yours…” She mused, partly-distracted by her own thoughts. Her eyes quickly focused back on him, though, and Kit flashed a small, apologetic smile, as she was pretty sure he’d notice her space out, however briefly it might have been.

He shrugged, trying to seem casual. "I-- not really, so much," Levi said, fidgeting with a pouch on his suit again. "You - you don't sound too big on cyborgs," he added a bit jokingly, forcing a slight smile. "I mean, I think it's pretty weird, too, replacing your limbs and stuff..." He paused, before adding perhaps a bit too quickly, "I don't have any of those, by the way. Limb replacements, I mean."

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#17 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

She nodded as he turned away, carefully scurrying onto his palm. Whereas her chitinous legs would’ve left an uncomfortable, ticklish sensation on his skin, the pilot’s gloves fortunately mitigated such a feeling, allowing Asvasty to carefully take a seat without upsetting the human.

While he awaited his fellow human’s answer, Rico could not help but gaze in wonder at the creature he now held in his hand.  She seemed very trusting, literally crawling into the palm of a much larger being, but she probably had to be to be here at all.  He wondered how she had ended up being a physician, much less serving on board a ship of the VDF, but the officer was talking to her first.  He could be patient.  Usually.

"Lieutenant Cayden Warmann, Victorian Air Forces."

Ah, a flyboy.  Navy pilots often resented how the Air Force got the shinier toys and cushier treatment with less skill, but Capulet couldn’t care less.  The way he saw it, they were still on the same side, and it meant his brothers got to show their mettle with fewer resources.  The Air Force could preen for the cameras all they wanted, while the Navy went out and won the wars.

"At ease, soldier. This mission seems like it will not be much on the formalities, you can relax, at least in my presence. It’s odd to be surrounded with such tight-stranpess. I done the preflight inspection on the outside myself and everything is good. This lady is ready to move on this show on the road."

The Marine pilot was having trouble sorting through the man’s accent. (Caydenn sounded like a rather masculine name, and the guy looked less ambiguous up close, if still a bit too skinny to be wrestling Skrakki.  Not that most people weren’t, himself included…)  Still, it sounded like he was giving Capulet permission to speak freely and telling him he had added some redundancy to his work, which didn’t sound too bad.  

“...Oh, right, that’s how you refer to your vehicles…” Dr. Asvasty murmured after a moment of confusion.  

Rico had straightened up so he didn’t have to squat any more, and he held the spider-lady close to his chest as he contributed, “Yep, an old human tradition.  Helps us brawny males treat the machines more gently, in theory.”  Focusing once again on the commissioned officer, Rico added, “Sounds just fine, much appreciated.  I’ve learned to trust our maintainers for the outside part, but glad you’re willing to go the extra mile.”

"Dr. Asvasty, I likely haven’t heard about your species yet. It must be hard for you to be surrounded by so many... big things."

Each of her tiny, red eyes blinked slowly in a sequence that lasted a second or two. “...I think we can safely assume I’m tiny and you’re all… normal. Ish.” She offered after a lengthy moment. “But I appreciate the perspective… ah, lieutenant right?”

She shifted, uncomfortable again under his concentrated gaze. “...I’m, ah, fine.” The small alien offered, finally looking Cayden in the eye. “I’ve been around people your size all my life, I’ll be okay.”

Beaming a charming, intrigued smile, Rico mused, “Sounds like a story worth hearing, assuming you wanna tell it.”

“So, uh, when do we leave, anyway?” She tried to change the subject, trying to peer around the two to see what everyone outside the ship was doing.

Whenever Hancock gets bored with meet-and-greet, I suppose.”  He leaned slightly to allow her a better look, keeping the hand that cradled her pointing straight up, since he didn’t know if she could cling to surfaces like regular spiders.  “Otherwise, my listed takeoff slot isn’t for another half an hour or so, but everything is, as usual, subject to change.

We know the way"

#18 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

"Yeah. We've got spiders and disrespectful little boys... Makes me wonder just what the hell kind of unit we're running. And him," he nodded toward Levi. "Supposedly, he's some kind of science experiment. Don't know the nature of it, but I have orders to keep an eye on him and tell my unit to do the same. Turns out I wasn't given a unit, so I'll just tell the ones of us that actually seem competent in following orders without backtalk."

Saljen almost grinned at that last bit, finding it somewhat amusing —as the alternative was to think about the serious implications of it, which she had already done, and which were too disheartening to focus on further. But that was the military for you: occasionally you had to find the humor in how crappy your lot was —at least when it came to the little things— or you'd never be able to stand it. Unfortunately, she wasn't thinking too hard about the gesture, and so ended it way too early: one corner of her mouth twitched upwards near-imperceptibly for perhaps half a second.

She glanced briefly at the man Hancock had indicated —the one who had arrived late: he still didn't look like much, save for his height, and she wondered just what kind of 'science experiment' he was. 

Furthermore, while she knew that humans could do amazing things to enhance their bodies, the fact that they were being ordered to watch the man aroused some suspicion in her; she couldn't help but wonder... "'Keep an eye on him' in which manner? As in 'make extra-sure nothing bad happens to him', or as in 'there's a chance he might spontaneously go crazy, so be careful'?" she asked Hancock, and for once the naturally deadpan tone of her voice perfectly suited her slightly-leery opinion of the subject.

Posted Image

#19 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

The agent shrugged, trying to seem casual. "I-- not really, so much," Levi said, fidgeting with a pouch on his suit again. "You - you don't sound too big on cyborgs," he added a bit jokingly, forcing a slight smile. "I mean, I think it's pretty weird, too, replacing your limbs and stuff..." He paused, before adding perhaps a bit too quickly, "I don't have any of those, by the way. Limb replacements, I mean."

Kit chuckled rather sheepishly. “Well, it’s leeess… disliking cyborgs, and more like… I’d rather not be a cyborg myself. You know?” She offered, trying to repair her mistake. “I like my arms where they are. Good to know you do, too.” She couldn’t help but add with a rather churlish grin.

She glanced around briefly, taking in the rest of the room. “Anyway, uh… got any idea when we’re actually leaving? Seems like we’re just burning time, now…” The techie pointed out, scratching her neck. Weren’t they on a bit of a time table, considering there were skrakki and all down there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users