• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Courtesy of Eurobricks, I found some early images of a new Lego space theme for 2013.

It looks kinda cool. The alien stuff reminds me of Insectoids except, you know, minus those crappy huge Megabloks-style single-use parts.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Discuss.

2004-2018

#2 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,902 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

So that's what that bug was on one of the recent LEGO magazines... Flippin' sweet! Love the bug aliens. You know, this could easily have been the Starship Troopers style "space marines" line suggested on Cuusoo if only the humans had bulkier armor and a more solid coloring scheme. Speaking of which, I'm not as crazy about the human designs as I am the aliens, and I still think the huge new Space helmet looks silly.

But hey, it looks a heckuvalot cooler than the other recent generic Space lines. I'll probably end up buying all of them.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#3 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

I think they got the idea from that Cuusoo project, seeing as it's humans working with aliens (Robots? Androids of some sort?) to arrest other aliens. Like a mix between that and insectoids, basically... Looks like it could be great, but I'll need a closer look at them first, and even then I'll prolly forget 'em with all the super-heroes and LotR (Hobbit) stuff coming out recently and in the near future.

#4 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

My favorite part about this line is humans and non-humans working together. Whenever there were ever aliens in a space set, they were always fighting the humans and never working with them. Glad to see LEGO is finally not being racist.
Old timer

#5 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

Pretty sure the friendly "aliens" are just robots.

Also the giant space helmet is still ugly and needs to go away.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#6 cheeso194

cheeso194

Corporal

• Nova Member
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

Yeah, it kinda sucks that the actual marines aren't the big starcraft style guys from the recent collectible minifigs line, but I really do love the new robots and aliens, and the new chest prints on the human marines. I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger starcraft guys show up in a second wave. On the whole, it looks like a return to more classic space, which we seem to be getting gradually more of.

I DO NEAT THINGS WITH COMICS

Cheeso's One Offs and Pilots

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9064

#7 Crustacean Freak

Crustacean Freak

Resident VW Enthusiast

• Nova Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

I'm pretty excited about this line. The set designs look neat, the figures are great (I do agree with Scorp about the human helmets, though), and trans-clear canopies and visors are always appreciated. I'm definitely going to pick up that blue fighter and possibly that green mech/transport set. More space sets always make me happy.

:Flickr
Gypsy King
Celephaïs (Mk 1)

Currently working on: Dustbowl (Novel), 1974 VW Beetle "Crow", Unnamed LEGO Space Freighter

#8 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I am genuinely hyped for this. I was a supporter of the Cuusoo project Space Marines from the middle, and this seems pretty much like that. Things that I like:
  • Aliens look cooler than I thought they would
  • Humans have a nice suit.
  • Humans are working with other cool aliens
  • Alien sets look less corny and more awesome than I thought they would
  • Humans have awesome sets as well
  • Some guns are brick-built.
Things that I dislike:
  • Squad. My imagination will hype it up to a full out war automatically, but I don't like the centralized things that lego's doing. They have never had a sci-fi war other than Star Wars, which is not their own idea.
  • I don't like the lack of a chest piece on the humans.
  • I dislike the idea that those elaborate bug sets are supposed to fly in space. They look like ground weapons to me.
  • Aliens could look a little more menacing.
Anyway, this is one of those sets where I'm going to collect all of them and display them on my shelf for a while. Then, I'll take them apart to build something else, and finding I can't, I will be unable to put it back together and be mad at myself for a day or so.

But yeah, I really like lego's concept here.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#9 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Aliens could look a little more menacing.

The prospect of being stabbed in the chest and having your innards sucked out by a giant alien mosquito-man doesn't disturb you, huh? :P

They're just LEGO sets, they aren't going to make monsters from pure nightmare. I think the bug aliens are flippin' sweet. Also, it creates nostalgia for Insectoids, even if they were possibly some of LEGO's blockiest sets ever.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#10 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Are the androids like ... space knights ? Fighting with common human milita/soldiers against aliens ?

#11 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

Are the androids like ... space knights ? Fighting with common human milita/soldiers against aliens ?

Best I can tell it's like a stereotypical '80s anime, where there is a special division of humans work with their high tech superpowered robots to protect the galaxy.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#12 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

The special blue helmet in the second set looks like it could be used to make a lego version of XCOM power armor.

#13 Dimwik

Dimwik

That creepy kid staring at you

• 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

This looks amazing, way better than most of the new space police sets, plus the diversity reminds me of planetside.

I am BUYING THEM ALL :soawesome:
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like Grandpa. Not screaming in terror, like the other people in his car.

#14 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,902 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Finally got my hands on one of these, and the mosquito-alien minifig is awesome. The antennae are separate pieces, so they can rotate, and the wings are trans-light-green with this neat hexagon pattern effect on the surface that shifts when you turn them. It's really quite cool-looking.

I'm definitely at least gonna get all the bug sets. They're like Insectoids, but actually good!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#15 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I was actually really impressed with part composition and the amount you got per price. I mean in the last couple of years IMO LEGO sets have been trash and have been made with cobbled together big pieces with many holes on either the underside or inside to compensate for lack of parts while being ridiculously overpriced for how many parts they had. However, I picked up the blue fighter jet one and that giant mosquito bug one, and I was quite impressed with how many parts I got with the set, as well as its complexity.

Was also really impressed with the new Jedi Starfighter, as well, but that's for a different topic.
Old timer

#16 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,902 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

ToyFair was today! New Galaxy Squad images: http://www.toyark.co...ad-images-7240/

The new bug guys look awesome, and that huge bug-eyed vehicle looks scary as heck. From what I can see, ten bucks says that the legs move when you roll it across the floor.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users