NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Echoes of the Mage-Emperor - Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

This is the discussion thread for Echoes of the Mage-Emperor, a story that will be posted in periodic updates. Here is the story's main page.

Wulfgard: Echoes of the Mage-Emperor is a story that focuses upon the right man in the wrong place, the ordinary guy and bookworm Zacynthos "Zac" Arcadian, who has a fateful encounter with the ancient and infamous Mage-Emperor Ildrius. The change in his life leads him to become involved in unusual adventures, often with the aid of some newfound and unlikely allies in the court of the Imperial city of Artorius.

Synopsis

Centuries ago, the Achaean Empire was ruled with an iron fist by a man named Ildrius, the Mage-Emperor. He imprisoned innocent men and women, enslaving some for hard labor and subjecting others to cruel and twisted experiments. In some regions, the very land became tainted by dark magic wielded by he and his underlings, the Mage-Lords who enforced his rule. Life for the citizens of Achaea was a nightmare. Many felt the gods had abandoned the world, giving way to the whim of a new deity: one who sat atop a throne in the form of a mortal, but wielded all the powers of a god.

The Empire reached a new height of power, but at a terrible price. The magi were untouchable; no one could stand against the power of magic. One sorcerer, well trained and experienced in his art, could crush entire armies at a whim. Rebellions sprung up across the kingdoms, but all were quelled with seemingly a mere flick of a Mage-Lord's wrist.

But the time came that one common man cast down that ruler - when an ordinary mundane peasant defeated one of the most powerful and dreaded figures in the history of all the Achaean Empire. The man who came to be called Sir Durand, the First Inquisitor, raised an army and ended the reign of the Mage-Emperor Ildrius. After Ildrius's fall, the Empire was restored to a new era of peace - a time of rebuilding, as the Achaeans tried to reclaim the glory lost in the swath of terror created by the Mage-Emperor. His cruelty remains unforgotten - and unforgiven.

Emperor Ildrius died in the war. They say he was killed by Durand himself, and never again would his evil plague the mortal realm. They say his body burned to ash, and his soul now rests in Hades, tormented for the rest of eternity by demons of Tyranny.

They say a lot of things.

In the city of Artorius, life goes on as it seemingly always has. There are chores to be done, taxes to be paid, crops to be harvested, armies to be trained... and books to be copied. The Empire has existed for many years now under the peaceful reign of Emperor Doraius I. It is this peace that one simple clerk has grown up his entire life knowing. Not that, deep in the halls of Artorius's royal castle, it makes much difference to him who rules the Empire at large. He has a simple job, and as long as King Rickard Artorius I maintains the throne of the kingdom, it does not involve as much politics as one might imagine. In fact, it doesn't involve much of anything other than reading and copying books and scrolls, but at least that makes him more educated than most, even if it keeps him a little cut off from the rest of the world - or so people tell him.

But something is about to happen that will change his life, and potentially alter the fate of the entire Achaean Empire. For, hidden deep beneath Artorius, are secrets of a much older time, of the darkest era in the history of the Empire - secrets that, as fate would have it, are stumbled upon by the unlucky clerk. Some secrets, especially those involving the blackest magic arts, are best left buried. But they seldom stay that way...

Chapters

Be sure to check back for new installments!

Please be sure to keep all potential spoilers in spoiler tags. See this blog post for details regarding the story and its update schedule. And, if you signed up, be sure to keep an eye out for your character(s)! ;)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

cheeringstarterfor10.gif

All celebrations aside, it's time for glowing feedback and rushed speculation/theorizations, with clarifying questions, to boot!

The wait is over, and I haven't been this happy to be awash in exposition in a long time.  Given Errant's ongoing events in Artorius and recent interactions with our new protagonist, I was already quite excited about this story, and was not disappointed in the slightest.  The companion article about Arcadia was also quite interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how all these background tidbits fit into the wider narrative.

I haven't studied all the other character signups in detail, so I don't know which of the recent additions are your own creation or one of the promised "guest-stars."  Is the berserker you mentioned one of the latter?  I liked learning about them in Joergen's short story, and having one play an important role here would be quite interesting.

Spoiler

Speaking of Zac (flowing straight from the spoilered text), you mentioned he recognizes not just Common and Old Achaean/High Imperial, but some Nordic and even Southron languages, too?  Man, how long has he been studying, or is he just that good?

Moana-disney-princess-39692805-268-140.g

"We keep our Island in our mind
And when it's time to find home
We know the way"

#3 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

videogif_144865916023100183_by_pokemaste

Well, I definitely agree that this was worth the wait, even if it doesn't seem like any of the community character have shown up yet. None of them are blatantly berserkers, ex or otherwise, so unless the rumors are just a little exaggerated... :P

I do agree with Cap that having a berserk take a main roll would be interesting.

Spoiler

Also, Cappy, all things considered, I think we know who Zac's based on and just how far-reaching his knowledge of languages could reach :P

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#4 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

BcrOTBF.gif

Spoiler

You know, I honestly didn't think that this was taking place in Artorius until I actually read this story. The signs were there, but I was too busy making Katrina's sign-up sheet for the short story to pay attention. :P

The thing I'm waiting for the most is to see how community characters who visit the city again in Chasing Shadows handle being here the first time, since I thought that the first time that Katrina even saw Artorius and met Zac was in Chasing Shadows and not in this story.

#5 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

Well, I definitely agree that this was worth the wait, even if it doesn't seem like any of the community character have shown up yet. None of them are blatantly berserkers, ex or otherwise, so unless the rumors are just a little exaggerated... :P

I do agree with Cap that having a berserk take a main roll would be interesting.

Spoiler

Also, Cappy, all things considered, I think we know who Zac's based on and just how far-reaching his knowledge of languages could reach :P

Thank you!  And yeah, I'm sure the guest stars will come in later and at different times.  

Spoiler

Spoiler

You know, I honestly didn't think that this was taking place in Artorius until I actually read this story. The signs were there, but I was too busy making Katrina's sign-up sheet for the short story to pay attention. :P

The thing I'm waiting for the most is to see how community characters who visit the city again in Chasing Shadows handle being here the first time, since I thought that the first time that Katrina even saw Artorius and met Zac was in Chasing Shadows and not in this story.

Spoiler

Like I said in the spoilered text, the RP is NOT CANON.  Wolfy has said from the beginning that it wouldn't be, so that all the playing she does and that we do with our own characters won't conflict with the narratives she's already set.  From the perspective of Zac and Echoes, as a whole, unless our characters already knew Zac or have been to Artorius sometime in their backstories, they won't remember the events of Errant because they never experienced them, and they won't remember Zac if they haven't met him yet.

TLDR: Wolfy has made two Wulfgard canons: Official and Role-playing.  Echoes is Official, Errant is Role-Playing.  The two use similar elements and characters, but are completely separate.

We know the way"

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I appreciate them deeply. :D Chapter 2 will be posted early next week!

I haven't studied all the other character signups in detail, so I don't know which of the recent additions are your own creation or one of the promised "guest-stars."  Is the berserker you mentioned one of the latter?  I liked learning about them in Joergen's short story, and having one play an important role here would be quite interesting.

Speaking of Zac (flowing straight from the spoilered text), you mentioned he recognizes not just Common and Old Achaean/High Imperial, but some Nordic and even Southron languages, too?  Man, how long has he been studying, or is he just that good?

The berserker is one of my characters, not a sign-up. ;) As for whether he has an important role, well... you'll find out in the coming weeks. :P

As mentioned in nearly all of the Errant OOC topics, Errant is a separate Wulfgard canon. What happens in Errant stays in Errant, essentially. :P Official Wulfgard stories operate on the primary Wulfgard canon (Knightfall, Into the North, Tales of Wulfgard, Echoes, etc.), and none of the events in Errant affect it.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

Chapter II - Best Left Buried is now available! Click here to read it.

You can also read the blog post about future updates here.

Can't wait to hear everyone's comments! :)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#8 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

*grabs the nearest person and points excitedly*

Look!  Right there!  Do you see him?  I can't believe he's there!

*tries his best to calm down*

Alright, where do I begin?  As excited as I am about a certain character cameo (or, well, more than one, really), there are still many, many things to discuss in the actual story.

Spoiler

We know the way"

#9 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:27 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

We know the way"

#11 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

The third chapter is now posted!: Chapter III - The Return of the Mage-Emperor

Sorry for taking so long to post it. See the latest blog post on my site for further details. Hope you enjoy the newest chapter!

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#13 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Whew! I think this latest chapter has made me even more excited for the next entry... even though that's probably going to take a bit with your usual whacky schedule :P

It's also great to see more characters popping up from other short stories. Definitely helps Wulfgard feel more like one big world and less like assorted portions neatly divided from each other. ^^

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#14 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

Masterfully done!  Zac has definitely stumbled into (quite literally, if we're not being too picky about definitions) a world of magic and fear that no book could prepare him for.

Spoiler

We know the way"

#15 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

HNNNNNNNNGGGG

Spoiler

#16 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Sorry about the lack of updates to this lately, guys. I'm planning to do some fairly heavy revisions (mostly character-related, and related to character[s] that haven't actually been introduced yet but were due for proper introductions in the next chapter) next week, and then resume posting as usual. This may include some edits to the last chapter that was posted, but they would be relatively minor, and I'll post about that if I decide to do it.

Thanks for your patience.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#17 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Copying this from this news post:

I must announce at this point that Echoes is undergoing some relatively major revisions. I had a great deal written even beyond Chapter 3, but I’ve become unsatisfied with some of it, and I’m going to be heavily revising it in the weeks to come. This may take some time, especially with my busy schedule. I’ll be revising all the new and unreleased material, and I may also go back and make some changes to some of the chapters currently available on the site. More updates on this in the future.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#18 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

Dangit Wolfy! I thought that this was going to be a post saying that the next part was finally up!

I guess we'll just have to wait longer, though I'd like to hear what stuff you've cut out from the story at some point. Hearing about that kind of stuff interests me.

#19 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Sorry about that. I really am. :/ I'm glad you're still interested. I appreciate the patience, guys.

I'll talk more about it when I've finished the revisions, sure. I'm hoping to get them done as soon as possible, so I can resume posting updates.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#20 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hey, fellas. I'm really sorry I've let this stagnate for so long.

Good news, though - expect an update really soon! I'm graduating next month, and classes end for me in a little over a week. I have much more writing of Echoes prepared that I've been working on off and on for over a year now, and I'm nearly done making some revisions that I mentioned earlier. Plus, the next update will come with some cover artwork by Scorp!

Thanks for bearing with me as I graduate, and be sure to keep an eye out in the coming weeks.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users