NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Project: Wulfgard Crowdfunding!

Wulfgard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

• Webmaster
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

POPULAR

PROJECT_banner01_1000px.jpg

As you may know, my sister Maegan (Maverick-Werewolf on the forums) and I have been hard at work for a long while now, getting our first Wulfgard novel and comic ready to publish. We now are planning to start a "crowdsourcing" Kickstarter-style fundraiser (possibly on Indiegogo instead though) to help pay for the printing cost, and have been working on getting this project ready. Here's a preview...

covers2.jpg

Contributing to the crowdfunding would basically be like pre-ordering the book and/or comics seen above, but with optional special rewards for those who decide to contribute more! So you could just contribute enough to get the book and/or comic at their regular price, or you could add a bit more and get perks like signed copies, a bookmark and poster, your name listed in a special thanks page, and more! See the image below for what we currently have planned:

reward_tiers.jpg

(all rewards also subject to change)

About the Novel

The book, currently entitled Wulfgard: Knightfall (subject to change) is a novel by Maegan (Maverick-Werewolf), with contributions, editing, and illustrations by me.

Knightfall tells the story of Sir Tom Drake, a knight of the powerful Imperial frontier city of Illikon. Together with his close friends and fellow soldiers, he wants only to protect his city and its people from any who would threaten them. But the Empire to which they belong is always seeking out new conflicts that put his city in danger, and when Sir Scaevius, Left Hand of the Emperor, arrives in Illikon to recruit Sir Drake to help fight the massing barbarian alliance to the North, he has no choice but to obey. But he does not obey without protest, and soon he ends up fighting against not only the barbarians, but his own superiors as well. Meanwhile, strange things begin to happen to him. He begins blacking out and performing feats of inhuman strength, and at night he is plagued by strange and terrifying nightmares. Even worse, he finds himself being stalked by terrifying monsters: werewolves. Hated by his superiors, hunted by beasts and assassins, Tom Drake is fighting for his home, his life, and even his mind. The events that are about to unfold will change his life, and the world, forever.

About the Comic
The comic, currently entitled Wulfgard: Into the North (also subject to change) is a "graphic novel" written and drawn by me, with help from Maegan on some story elements, proofreading, and coloring. I have been publishing pages from it online as a webcomic since 2010, in my spare time. With your help, I will be able to devote the time and effort needed to finish the comic and add a new level of polish to every page. The final product will compile the first four "issues" found on my site, leading into a larger story that will be continued, either through continued comics or some other medium.

The published comic will be a major improvement from what is seen on my website, with better artwork and extra pages to further flesh out the story and possibly extend it. During issues 2 and 3, I began slacking off on the inking & coloring departments of my comic, hoping to work out a style that would be faster to draw. Now I'm going to go back and put some major finishing touches on those pages. For example:

gallery_1_193_361333.jpg

The comic will be perfect-bound and printed in full color on every page.

So, what do you think? Does this sound interesting or exciting to you? Any feedback is welcome, especially suggestions for additional rewards. Thanks!

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#2 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

YES.  ALL MY YES.

I have been waiting for details on this for a while, and I will do everything I can to support this!  The levels and incentives look great, though I am curious as to the price for each one.  I want to know how high I can get without, eh, taking out a loan or something.  

Regardless, I am very excited about this, and look forward to seeing these beautiful works finally come to fruition!

Moana-disney-princess-39692805-268-140.g

"We keep our Island in our mind
And when it's time to find home
We know the way"

#3 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

this is so cool Scorp and I'm sorry I won't be able to donate (maybe a little)

21.jpg

#4 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Patron
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

Freaking awesome! It'll be amazing to finally get Wolfy's book out there! You've got my absolute full support.

All the tier rewards look really sweet too, my only nitpick would be to change "autographed" to "signed," just a bit more humble phrasing. :P

Also, you could add a tier where you'd do a random sketch of one of the characters on the inside covers of the novel and/or comic, people love that stuff.

Just FYI to everyone, even if you can't donate, when the fundraiser starts you could still spread the word, post about it on facebook, tumblr, whatever, spreading the word is always a huge help for projects like this.

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#5 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

YES.  ALL MY YES.

I have been waiting for details on this for a while, and I will do everything I can to support this!  The levels and incentives look great, though I am curious as to the price for each one.  I want to know how high I can get without, eh, taking out a loan or something.  

Regardless, I am very excited about this, and look forward to seeing these beautiful works finally come to fruition!

We haven't decided on final prices for everything yet, but I'll say this: Level 7 and below will all probably be less than $100. ;P

Every donation is appreciated! The minimum will be just $10 to get Nova Membership and the special Wulfgard emblem on the forums. We may make a special member permissions group for those members with the icon, possibly with some perks like special skins or even access to a sneak peek board dedicated to the project.  :)

Also, what Harry said. Spreading the word is one of the biggest ways anyone can help.

All the tier rewards look really sweet too, my only nitpick would be to change "autographed" to "signed," just a bit more humble phrasing. :P

Also, you could add a tier where you'd do a random sketch of one of the characters on the inside covers of the novel and/or comic, people love that stuff.

lol, yeah, I wasn't sure about the "autographed"/"signed" thing. The word autographed just looks better, but I'll probably change it, since I'm fiddling with the image right now anyway.

The sketch is a good idea too, something else I considered. Maybe I'll find a place to squeeze that in...

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#6 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:09 PM

It's "Justin R. R. Stebbins" now?

I see what you're doing there.

:P

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#7 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

I'm gonna spread the word where I can like Instagram and stuff.

21.jpg

#8 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

It's "Justin R. R. Stebbins" now?

I see what you're doing there.

Hey, it works! My mother's maiden name starts with R. When I realized that, coupled with this being a fantasy book, I just couldn't resist...

-Scorp

#9 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Patron
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

Take my money. All of it. I bestow it upon your heads with blessing.

Maybe I'll weave it into a couple of laurel crowns... yes, yes I think I will.

emily-blunt.gif

#10 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

I'd love to support this.

Hopefully a link will be coming soon!

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!

Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
8.jpg

gandalf-spin-o.gif

#11 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

We haven't decided on final prices for everything yet, but I'll say this: Level 7 and below will all probably be less than $100. ;P

Ah, that definitely sounds attainable.  Thank you!

Take my money. All of it. I bestow it upon your heads with blessing.

Maybe I'll weave it into a couple of laurel crowns... yes, yes I think I will.

I don't know, man.  I'm quite sure defacing US currency decreases its value.  Just...be careful with your folding.  :P

Moana-disney-princess-39692805-268-140.g

"We keep our Island in our mind
And when it's time to find home
We know the way"

#12 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Patron
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:16 AM

Those tiers look sweet! I'm getting excited that you guys are getting closer to getting this project launched. Hopefully you guys reach your goal. I know I'll be doing the very best I can to get you there. Wulfgard in print is something I've wanted for a long while. The fact that it's nearly in view is really phenomenal.

Looking forward to the big things yet to come!

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#13 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

When I saw Tom Drake, I was like this:  :soawesome:  :soawesome:  :soawesome: !!! I love the idea of one of my characters being drawn by Scorp! But, I'm not sure if my Parents will let me give money to strangers, even if they are Badflank artists  :lol:

#14 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hey how do you get level 1 stuff?

21.jpg

#15 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

As far as rewards for supporters go, have you considered offering custom Lego fig commissions, or even just figs of the prominent characters? Seeing as Lego is a big part of what you are known for, and something tangible is always a big draw for people to put in that little bit more for the reward level they want, it seems like a match made in heaven.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#16 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,150 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

My only advice would be to make a tier with multiple (I'm thinking three) copies of the comic and book.  One signed of each, two unsigned so that the backer can give them to friends/family.

lWZ8e6F.png

#17 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

I think that the character idea is great but there is a difference between "appearing" and the character "participating"

21.jpg

#18 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:59 PM

As far as rewards for supporters go, have you considered offering custom Lego fig commissions, or even just figs of the prominent characters? Seeing as Lego is a big part of what you are known for, and something tangible is always a big draw for people to put in that little bit more for the reward level they want, it seems like a match made in heaven.

Yes, I was considering offering this Tom Drake for one of the tiers:

Spoiler

Of course, all physical rewards add to the overall cost of the project, so I would want to attach him to one of the higher tiers so I don't have to make too many (plus it also takes time).

Still haven't decided whether I'll make him a reward though. I'm not sure how to squeeze him in...

My only advice would be to make a tier with multiple (I'm thinking three) copies of the comic and book.  One signed of each, two unsigned so that the backer can give them to friends/family.

Yeah, I've seen some other projects that do that. Probably a good idea!

I think that the character idea is great but there is a difference between "appearing" and the character "participating"

Yes, they would basically be cameo appearances, and I wouldn't want them to distract from the main comic characters, nor look too out-of-place. None would be speaking roles, and some might appear for only one frame. But I will make sure they are all prominently visible! Since there are only a few places in the first volume where I could include such characters, the number of Tier 10 reward slots available will be limited. Probably to about 12.

I'm planning to post some more details about the project here soon, so keep an eye out!

-Scorp

#19 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

So let's say that My character Ferris (a young Venator) is in this comic, so his role could be something simple like maybe he's sitting in a inn corner in one scene.

Or least say someone sends you a character, who's a Northmen Warrior so maybe he's in battle scene somewhere.

So no more ideas where comic characters can go and onto prizes ideas.

So maybe the highest ranks character thing gets your a character who has a bigger role (interacts with a MC a little or gets named somewhere)

And lower ranked character prizes are characters who only "appear" in the comic instead of "participating like I stated above.

Even though you said no speaking roles, they definitely would get people moved to donate.

And Lego characters are also a cool prize like main character, Tom Drake, The Wanderer, The She-Wolf (Werewolf or not),and maybe even you could make personal decals for HUGE donators.

I don't expect you to agree with everything I've said, but I want you to take it into account.

Edited by GhostlyCheese, 12 November 2014 - 08:58 PM.

21.jpg

#20 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

POPULAR

So maybe the highest ranks character thing gets your a character who has a bigger role (interacts with a MC a little or gets named somewhere) And lower ranked character prizes are characters who only "appear" in the comic instead of "participating like I stated above. Even though you said no speaking roles, they definitely would get people moved to donate. And Lego characters are also a cool prize like main character, Tom Drake, The Wanderer, The She-Wolf (Werewolf or not),and maybe even you could make personal decals for HUGE donators.

One thing to keep in mind is that this comic is already mostly done. Most of it is the stuff already up on my comics site, with a few changes (I'll get to those below). So there isn't really room to insert new characters with significant roles. Maybe next time.

UPDATE! Poll Added

We aren't really sure when would be the best time to start this crowdfunding project. It's pretty much ready to go right now, but everything I've read online says that the one time you do NOT want to start a Kickstarter is around Christmas and the holidays, and we've already heard from a few people who say they won't have much money available during that time. So we're contemplating waiting until around February. Naturally, we'd keep busy during that time, working to put the finishing touches on the novel & comic. On the other hand, we'll probably let the project run for 60 days anyway, so it will last until January either way. What do you guys think? Which would be a better time to start? Please vote in the poll and/or reply!

And here's some more info about the two books...

About the Novel

The book, currently entitled Wulfgard: Knightfall (subject to change) is a novel by Maegan (Maverick-Werewolf), with some contributions, editing, and illustrations by me.

Knightfall tells the story of Sir Tom Drake, a knight of the powerful Imperial frontier city of Illikon, Together with his close friends and fellow soldiers, he wants only to protect his city and its people from any who would threaten them. But the Empire to which they belong is always seeking out new conflicts that put his city in danger, and when Sir Scaevius, Left Hand of the Emperor, arrives in Illikon to recruit Sir Drake to help fight the massing barbarian alliance to the North, he has no choice but to obey. But he does not obey without protest, and soon he finds himself fighting against not only the barbarians, but his own superiors as well. Meanwhile, strange things begin to happen to him. He finds himself blacking out and performing feats of inhuman strength, and at night he is plagued by strange and terrifying nightmares. Even worse, he finds himself being stalked by terrifying monsters: werewolves. Hated by his superiors, hunted by beasts and assassins, Tom Drake is fighting for his home, his life, and even his mind. The events that are about to unfold will change his life, and the world, forever.

About the Comic
The comic, currently entitled Wulfgard: Into the North (also subject to change) is a "graphic novel" written and drawn by me, with help from Maegan on some story elements, proofreading, and coloring. I have been publishing pages from it online as a webcomic since 2010, in my spare time. With your help, I will be able to devote the time and effort needed to finish the comic and add a new level of polish to every page. The final product will compile the first four "issues" found on my site, leading into a larger story that will be continued, either through continued comics or some other medium.

The published comic will be a major improvement from what is seen on my website, with better artwork and extra pages to further flesh out the story and possibly extend it. During issues 2 and 3, I began slacking off on the inking & coloring departments of my comic, hoping to work out a style that would be faster to draw. Now I'm going to go back and put some major finishing touches on those pages. For example:

gallery_1_193_361333.jpg

The comic will be perfect-bound and printed in full color on every page.

That's all for now, keep an eye out for further updates!

-Scorp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users