Making Decals...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ABSplastic

ABSplastic

• Nova Patron
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

How would I make/design/print my own decals? I've never done it before so I have no idea where to start. 

#2 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

Ask Scorp.

#3 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

I think that's kinda what he's doing by posting here.

I know Scorp used to use CorelDraw to design his decals, but that was like ten years ago so I don't know if he still does. You could probably also use Photoshop or GIMP - basically anything that's better than Paint.

Printing them is easy, just get some decal paper from a computer or office supply store and print them just like you would anything else.

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#4 ABSplastic

ABSplastic

• Nova Patron
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

I think that's kinda what he's doing by posting here.

I know Scorp used to use CorelDraw to design his decals, but that was like ten years ago so I don't know if he still does. You could probably also use Photoshop or GIMP - basically anything that's better than Paint.

Printing them is easy, just get some decal paper from a computer or office supply store and print them just like you would anything else.

OK thanks, guess I'll actually have to learn how to use one of those programs first... Is there any trick to matching up the colors with LEGO's, or do I just have try and match it as closely as possible?

#5 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

Yep, I use Corel Draw to design my decals. It's nice because it's a vector graphics program, so I can resize, change colors, etc., with no loss of print quality.

If you're using a program like Photoshop that works with pixels, just make sure your image is high resolution for printing (300 pixels per inch is standard).

For printing them, just be sure to look for decal paper that works with the type of printer you have (color inkjet, etc.).

As for colors, unfortunately those are different for pretty much everyone, because every printer I've used prints colors slightly differently. You just have to experiment until you've found colors that match LEGO's. The colors I use can be found here: http://saber-scorpio..._colorguide.php

Hope this helps!

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#6 ABSplastic

ABSplastic

• Nova Patron
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

I'll probably use GIMP since its free, thanks for the help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users