Photo

Favorite Super-Soldier

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Super-Soldier (57 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite super-soldier?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,919 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

Pathetic? Hardly!

It was supposed to be a real casualty of war. Not everyone goes down saving the entire world; and a super-soldier is not an exception. As much as I hate to be narcissist with Dark Edge, this is what I'm going for - Realism, Scorp.

Yes, pathetic. It wasn't even a beam rifle round, for crying out loud. And I was a little irked that it happened to the only woman on the team. But again, that's Halo talk. This isn't the Halo board. (or the Dark Edge board...)

But wait, are we arguing here? I certainly wasn't trying to... but if you insist:

I'm not sure where you're coming from here. Nova Refuge isn't even about saving the world. It's a story about equal factions that are very shades-of-grey (as Horatius described very well above) fighting a destructive (and some would say needless) war with each other. That's pretty realistic, I'd say.

A whole team of fully-trained Enomegs...
Spoiler

Then again, despite my arguments to the contrary, I would not name "realism" as my primary goal in Nova Refuge. I try to be realistic to the rules of the setting and not shatter the reader's suspension of disbelief, but there are plenty of elements of the fantastic and romantic present in NR, since my ultimate goal is to create something of a grandiose sci-fi epic. And we can't have one of those without a little thrillin' heroics. B)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#42 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

I'm sorry, Magnum Coyote's not on the list. The reason I like him?

"A shot from this thing will blow out a chunk of their body the size of a football.........field"

#43 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Spoiler

If they wanted to be "realistic," they could at least have explained how this single bullet could instantly pierce the Spartan's personal shield systems and heavy armor, whereas it takes several bullets in any other/all other situations.

But anyway...

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#44 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:59 AM

Spoiler

If they wanted to be "realistic," they could at least have explained how this single bullet could instantly pierce the Spartan's personal shield systems and heavy armor, whereas it takes several bullets in any other/all other situations.

But anyway...

Spoiler

#45 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

But wait, are we arguing here? I certainly wasn't trying to... but if you insist:

I'm not sure where you're coming from here. Nova Refuge isn't even about saving the world. It's a story about equal factions that are very shades-of-grey (as Horatius described very well above) fighting a destructive (and some would say needless) war with each other. That's pretty realistic, I'd say.

A whole team of fully-trained Enomegs...

Then again, despite my arguments to the contrary, I would not name "realism" as my primary goal in Nova Refuge. I try to be realistic to the rules of the setting and not shatter the reader's suspension of disbelief, but there are plenty of elements of the fantastic and romantic present in NR, since my ultimate goal is to create something of a grandiose sci-fi epic. And we can't have one of those without a little thrillin' heroics. B)

Yeah, and I understand. To be honest, I'm not even sure why we are arguing on this, or why I even brought that up. I guess I'm trying to say that we do things our own ways, man. I'm aiming to make the coolest Sci-Fi story I possibly can and give it as much variety and expandability as for say Star Wars. You're apparently trying to make something along the lines of a space-opera or Mass Effect type deal (Not that it's noticable).

And you may say that nobody is going to make a difference or save the world or something, but there's a 99% chance that Saber-Scorpion will. Just saying, bro. :P It's classic of all Sci-Fi works; the need for a hero. Just read the intro for this book, it'll tell you what I mean. ;)

(or the Dark Edge board...)

Believe me, I've been dying to get one, okay. I really hate having to brag and to stoop as low as to argue with you just so it can get some attention. Alright. :P And I should probably stop, too. Since I lack your number of fans to support me (Actually, I don't even think anybody on here even likes Dark Edge...). So, I'm sorry for arguing. "We straight, G?"
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#46 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,919 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, and I understand. To be honest, I'm not even sure why we are arguing on this, or why I even brought that up. I guess I'm trying to say that we do things our own ways, man. I'm aiming to make the coolest Sci-Fi story I possibly can and give it as much variety and expandability as for say Star Wars.

That's been my goal from the very beginning. I imagine that's the goal, or at least the dream, of just about every sci-fi world builder who wants to be successful. Also, you seem to be talking about Star Wars and Space Opera as if they're two different things... Quite the contrary, Star Wars is almost the definition of space opera.

And you may say that nobody is going to make a difference or save the world or something, but there's a 99% chance that Saber-Scorpion will. Just saying, bro. :P

Err, I just said in my last paragraph that there will be some thrilling heroics in Nova Refuge... no doubt about that. I don't like 100% gritty realistic military sci-fi, and that's not what I'm writing. But you seem to have the wrong impression of Nova Refuge, so I wouldn't be so confident in your predictions. ;)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#47 The Mariner

The Mariner

Between the Devil and The Deep Blue Sea

• Nova Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

Truth be told, everything is better with gritty heroics. But not too much.
Your fair-weather friends on a parachute binge get lost when the wind blows.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users