• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#121 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

Always great my man, really liked the nuclear reactor house painting. Pretty nice colors. Your shading with the ship really shows how much you know how light interacts with a metallic object. Actually, the image with the soldier with the bayoneted rifle, you used hatching, not crosshatching. Crosshatching is hatching, but you cross the lines. Since your lines are going only one direction, it's just hatching. It still looks really nice.

Oh, okay thanks for the terminology help there! Yeah, I used to do a lot more hatching on my art, but then I realized it made it a pain to make a good painting out of it later. The soldier is actually another character from "Ruin". She's a plantation owner and duchess who has been lost all of her workers and guards due to the local savage tribes. Our heroes help her out despite being natural enemies.

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#122 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

Been a while since I've looked through here and yooooo dog your work with ink and marker is awesome. You've really made some drastic improvement with your craft, it's much cleaner with stronger anatomy to it (also I really like your environments, you're achieving a really nice Watterson-esque look which I envy :P)

I would urge you to try and break up your silhouettes more if you're interested in concept design, as there's some interesting little pieces of your designs that could benefit a lot from just being moved around a bit to avoid being a big blob of textures:

agRtHQyV.jpg

While the drawings are good themselves, it's a common stumbling point to get caught up with the textural detail without addressing the shape, and I think these designs would create more visual interest from just a slight camera adjustment by a few degrees to bring out concavities, recesses, pointy bits, etc.

If the silhouettes have to overlap (particularly common in environments or with dudes holding weapons) just keep them separate and work with greyscale values to ensure that they contrast with one another rather than blending into each other. You're really good with textures, so you want those textural details to be visible against each other so we can read the image clearly.

Basically it looks like you're having the exact opposite problems I've had so I'm just addressing the things I know, keep up the good work!

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#123 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

If the silhouettes have to overlap (particularly common in environments or with dudes holding weapons) just keep them separate and work with greyscale values to ensure that they contrast with one another rather than blending into each other. You're really good with textures, so you want those textural details to be visible against each other so we can read the image clearly.

Basically it looks like you're having the exact opposite problems I've had so I'm just addressing the things I know, keep up the good work!

Hey! Thanks for the comments! That's also some of the best advice I've heard for improving my silhouettes. I often felt disappointed with how something that looked fine in my mind, and that I could draw easily in theory, would come out as just this blob of texture. I'd go by the "make sure the sillhouettes are unique", but I'd just wind up with, once again, differently shaped blobs, but still just blobs, so I'll definitely be using that tactic in the future.

#124 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

Cay2_KTJUc_AAP9_Y.jpg

This is a lost page of Calvn and Hobbes. You're Bill Watterson. The colors are beautiful. You're a terrible person for ending Calvin and Hobbes. 

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#125 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

It's been a while since I commented...I think, at least...

Anyways, the Churr, Plane thing, the Conquistador/Spanish Guy and the Moth guy are my favorites out of this.

#126 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

It's been a while since I commented...I think, at least...

Anyways, the Churr, Plane thing, the Conquistador/Spanish Guy and the Moth guy are my favorites out of this.

Thanks! That's actually a moth woman and a conquistador lady.

#127 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

POPULAR

Spoiler

I've been gone a while, but I figured I'd put some of my art here. Some of it has to do with the story project I've been working on and some are just random pieces.

Spoiler

star_wars_kotor_project_teaser_by_duke07Here's my version of KOTOR's Anchorhead. I'll have to share more art from this mini-project I did last winter.

God bless ya'll. I hope you have a great week! I know I started small this week, but I hope you enjoyed it!

#128 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Oh hey Dagoth, you're alive! :D

#129 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:21 PM

About time you showed up again, as always, love your stuff, and your colour choices are excellent, especially in that first picture. Keep it up.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#130 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

Hot damn you've got a good eye for perspective

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#131 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:35 AM

Fantastic work, Dagoth! Very impressive. Good to see you again - I've missed your art. :D

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#132 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

POPULAR

Thank you everybody for the compliments. Now for some more:
IMG_4566.jpg
Another drawing of the Ruin fields. I find interest in how the natives manage to carve a life out of the dense jungle and crumbling hulls.
IMG_4626.png
Here's a drawing of Tree-Beard.

IMG_4569.jpg
The Theroma (vineyard people) were another slave-caste of the Shang Elven Empire before they were freed by the Churr ("The fair ones"). For all intensive purposes, they are very similar to West-men. They are only set-apart by a collectively solitary, mellow persona and their blue skin. They are rarely seen outside of their secluded, mountainous homestead.

#133 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Inspirational art, as always. Such great style and atmosphere. I want to explore the Ruin fields in a video game now...

Keep up the great work.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#134 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

Inspirational art, as always. Such great style and atmosphere. I want to explore the Ruin fields in a video game now...

Keep up the great work.

Thank you!

And, well, there may be an RP coming up someday.  :D

#135 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

Hey everyone!

Here's a random commission I did (it was my first one.) I think I liked how it turned out.

Spoiler

Here was an Inktober sketch:
Spoiler

I did a re-design of the sith troopers from KOTOR. I wanted to show a possible basis for where the armor of Darth Vader and Storm Troopers got its visual style; from the original sith army.
Spoiler

If you ever plan on trying to make it East of the Orta Mountains you'd better have a guide. Find a good one and you may survive. Pictured below, an Iberaner and his Eastern guide share nice shisha while resting from the trail.
Spoiler

Meanwhile, far to the South, two refugees, a half-ondrian and a Gesh woman, make their way to the next city.
Spoiler

Perhaps to Benda, the last comfortable junction between the Empire and the Midland powers. The central golden dome houses the Mid-Empire Treaty Committee. To no avail, the Benda try to enforce lukewarm peace. Whatever is the most profitable, but doesn't cost them too much face.
Spoiler

#136 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Hey! It's good to be back!

So these are characters from a writing project, set in the Ruin universe.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Here's some other characters. A chez, a 'Taur, and a Slade, often called "Easterners"

Spoiler

This was the face of power in Enyardum, before the night fell.

Now For some miscellaneous Ruin landscapes. Let me know what you think!

Spoiler

Now, just putting out there that I am doing commissions:

17309060_1088521501293587_26998486570472
Bonus available from April 1st-April 15nth: discount of -$5 for any Wulfgard or Nova Refuge related digital character portraits and landscape in "petite". If you are a Nova Member, You also get this discount and flat color is FREE for you.

$10 for RP catering (a digital, 2D character bust portrait for each player. FREE flat color for Nova Member DMs.)

PM me, or go to @orcoduke (Instagram) or @ArtofCalebDuke (Facebook) if your interested.

I'd love to hear your feedback and comments!

Also a random minimalist duck for you:
Spoiler

#137 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Oh my dude. Your art gives me some extreme Morrowind vibes, I can't believe I haven't stumbled upon your work. That's a hard style to pull off, making things with mostly line art and minimal shading, I wish I had those kinds of skills. I really like your Anchorhead drawing. I'll definitely be studying this stuff to see if I can learn anything to improve upon my own skills.

xgd0s9.jpg

#138 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

Oh my dude. Your art gives me some extreme Morrowind vibes, I can't believe I haven't stumbled upon your work. That's a hard style to pull off, making things with mostly line art and minimal shading, I wish I had those kinds of skills. I really like your Anchorhead drawing. I'll definitely be studying this stuff to see if I can learn anything to improve upon my own skills.

I really appreciate the compliments. I can only point you to my inspirations, the most influential I would say would be Moebius (as he illustrated for Heavy Metal, some of his work is really, really not... clean, which I'm not a fan of. However, a lot of it is just fine, and his use of almost exclusively line art has been inspirational to me.) I also have enjoyed the work of Feng Zhu (even though I'm not really focusing on concept art, his take on researching and gathering plenty of reference before a piece has proven quite handy.) He's made a lot of tutorials on his artistic process here https://m.youtube.co...jDIACjCsjAGFAA.

#139 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

POPULAR

Working on the pilot episode for my upcoming scifi-fantasy web comic: SONGS OF THE WASTELAND: RICO THE CLAY-MAN Volume I Issue I. The story's themes are somewhat similar to C.S. Lewis's work, a tale of redemption, longing, weariness, and hope set in a surreal wasteland.

11vjf6a.jpg
29e66gl.png

DOOM KARAT, which is sort of a purely recreational comic I'm working on. It follows the travels of Moon-Eyes, a lone hunter and the last of his tribe, in the mysterious Jewel-fields Teksas.

xefnz7.png

A calf:

2yw7mz8.png

Forgiveness:

mi185u.jpg

An ink sketch of a tree.

294mpeu.jpg

So designs for the Priests of Jun. Once they were powerful Djainish philosophers who served the people of Al'Asaf' with their potent calligraphic magic. Now corrupted by their twisted search for knowledge, they serve the Voice of the Mirror Stone. Some even rip out their eyes and hearts, replacing them with ebony icons to connect them to their evil, ancient master. They are ruthless, unfeeling, and cold.

Also, speaking of C.S. Lewis:

x3icyw.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed this update and I hope you have a wonderful Sunday! He's risen!

Feel free to leave feedback and comments! I always appreciate it!

#140 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hey guys! Looking to update ya'll on my projects from the past few months, for now I'all leave you with the first chapter of a writing project. Please let me know what you think, if you'd like:

Prologue

"Dear Travis,

Stop.
Beloved son. Stop. Cannot believe you in your 20th year. Stop. Mother would have been proud. Stop. I hear from the Pardus company: you've made a fine soldier. Stop. Can't wait see your face again next week. Stop. I have written that so many times over the last 10 years, but-..."

The gas lamp shook to the crack of artillery and thunder.

Dust fell overhead. Tears welled up in the author's eyes as he dipped the quill in sable ink.

"-by the will of the gods, promise I will get home this time. Stop. You'll have to tell me all about the Djain people and 'Al'Asaf.

Send regards to your Praefect. Stop.

Love you more than life itself. Stop. You make me so proud. Stop.

Papa. Stop."

The telegraph was folded neatly and pressed with a round seal of crimson wax: "Praefect Wallace Veritirum. 9th Hatchet-men"

---

It was a fortnight after the Festival of Jupiter, at the Yule Ball in the city of Triest, the capital of the Chez'nask Region. The regiment leadership of the Ninth Eagle gathered in the hall, dining, dancing, and drinking the night away. For tomorrow, they would ship back to Florence for intense training and grueling discipline. The air was heavy with chatter, the atmosphere eaten up by the harpsichord and the smell of brandy. Outside, the snow breath of the weather roared against the windows, causing the stained glass to shutter now and then.

Outside, the impoverished citizens of Triest fought the bitter cold, shuffling through the snowy streets, dragging frozen maize and fish on sleds of rotten wood. Some occasionally casting a burning glare at the brightly lit hall; it used to be their chapel.

Inside, in a secluded corner of the noise, Captain Veritirum sat with two other soldiers, cards in hand, around a small table; glittering denar coins dotted the table, sending gilded reflections on the darkened faces. One of these men, the gunnery sergeant of the 9nth Hatchet-men. His teal dress-coat was tightly cut and his pitch-black hair was thoroughly combed, but an unhinged air seemed to possess all his movements. In the candle light, his eyes were as two burning crucibles; rife with fire, incinerating themselves with rage. An extremely typical feature for Hatchet-men.

"You know what, Cap'n? I can always tell the ones who hold something close inside when they fold every round on a game of Five-hand-shift." he paused, tapping the ashes off of his cigar onto the table.

"You have a lover back in Florence?"

"That's not of your concern," the Captain replied stoically.

The Gunny took a huff of his cigar and leaned forward, staring the olive-faced officer in the eyes. In the dim orange light of the overhead lantern, one could see a certain concealed pain in his face. Unlike most of the other soldiers in the room, he had seen just how much a man could lose for the Empire. Triest used to be his home and the Chez, his people, after all.

A cloud of smoke crept from the Gunny's lips as he opened his mouth again. "You ride with us for a little while, cap'n sir, and everyone plays their hand."

A moment crept by, as all the players picked up their cards and counted them. The Gunnery Sergeant began to speak again.

"The- uh- last Cap'n we had never returned with us from Malum. You know why, Cap'n? You know what was the last thing that sorry coward said before I put a hole through 'em?"

The Gunny shook his head and paused as he started to deal the final cards.

"'Oh, my wife! Oh, my children! What'll they do without me? I'm not dying like this!' All teary-eyed and such" the Gunny laughed in spite of himself. Veritirum struggled to find the comedy of it. "I could tell he was cracking. Then he took off on his horse and broke the bloody square. The Fuzzies grabbed him off of his ride... And... And I put him out of his misery with my musket. 'Had half a mind to watch him scalped. We lost some good ol' boys that day because of him. Isn't that right now, Cassius?"

The other younger Chez Hatchet-man nodded in silence. His face was as motionless and smooth as a marble statue, the form only interrupted by a fresh scar etched down from one of his piercing eyes. The Captain cast a nervous glance at the Gunny before making an effort to ignore his obvious threat. Another awkward silence wandered by as he looked at his hand of cards. The other two players watched him eerily.

"Subtlety was never my craft, Cap'n, but if you ever break my square 'n cost me some of our boys' lives..." the Sergeant continued, "I might just let the natives take care of you."

The Captain studied the lines of the Gunny's face and laid down his hand, as did all the players. His was the winning hand. "Understood, Gunny. I hope it never comes to that... And keep your denars, gentlemen. I'm headed to my quarters for the evening. Gather your men, Gunny. We sail for Florence tomorrow. Pardus company will be shipping in from Benda to train with us there." The Gunny started to cackle and spew out smoke as the Captain left his chair and made his way from the Table. Cassius remained still.

Veritirum navigated through the crowded floor towards the foyer, sliding on his winter coat and adjusting his pith helmet neatly over his combed hair. He dodged many a Red-Coat and Hatchet-man along with their accompanying sad-eyed maidens. Two 'Taur slaves, their faces covered by silk hoods, forced open the huge cathedral doors for him. The wind howled furiously into the room, causing some irritated party-goers to turn their heads. With a short breath, the Captain stepped out into the black night. The huge doors slammed shut behind him.

---

Around the winding streets, he stepped through the snow-dunes, leaving deep tracks in the snow behind him. The wind blew furiously as the carriages plowed through the roads of slush and cobblestone. It seemed he was walking in a constant cloud of his own breath, which hung for a second in the frigid air. His coat was warm, but the storm had a way of biting through it. Most of the Chez commoners had already bolted themselves into their homes by sun-down and he could not blame them.

The tall, brick street-houses lined the road illuminated by the flickering lights of the street lamps; their weeping faces went in and out of view in the dying glow. Every now and then, he would cast a nervous glance at their boarded windows and doors; just as locked up and repressed as the people's eyes. In Chez'nask, the Empire seemed to bring more blood than peace, and more tears than order. The Captain took pride in what he did, taking land for the glory of the Pantheon and all, but occasionally he would stop and wonder if it was really worth it. But as the priests would say, Jupiter's blessings were upon those who spread his power.

Maybe that was what made men like the Gunny so dead inside.

It was a frozen half-hour or so before he saw the open air of the Garden Square peak out behind the street corner. What once was scenic landscape, a beautiful town-square now lay dead and grim. Twisted, lifeless cedar trunks and dead skeleton-like bushes now dominated the space. The occasional body of a Triest rebel lay prostrate, arms akimbo, frozen over, and with an arquebus gun planted in the white dunes beside them. Time and weather were the only ones to give him a proper burial.

Up ahead, in the center of the square, he saw the palisade wall of the Imperial camp, rising from the sea of sleet as a row of teeth from a predator's jaw. A group of obligatory poor souls, who were also sometimes referred to as guards, made a shiver-infested effort to stand up straight and salute him as he passed by. The Captain smiled and saluted back, before a gust forced him to keep his pith helmet from falling off. "Cognovit. You gents get inside and light yourselves a fire. Only a fool would charge the fort in this weather. If your praefect has a problem, tell him to come to Captain Veritirum's tent."

"Etiam-m, d-d-dux..." they said with shivering voices, scrambling to give another fickle salute. "Alright now, keep warm," the Captain patted one on the shoulder, passing through the large wooden gateway.

He marched through the rows and rows of tents. Not a sound to be heard, but the faint howl of the wind and crunch of his leather boots against the snow. Eventually, he found his way to the outside wall of his own tent, made clear by the large, red Imperial Eagle printed against the sand-colored canvas. The Captain wasted little time as he rushed through the entryway and tied the flaps shut behind him; the wind still shook the tent, the flapping and clattering of rope and canvas were all to be heard. He produced a small bit of flint and steal, with which he quickly revitalized the iron stove in the corner of the room. With the sound of a whispering crackle, an fragile, infant flame started to grow.

Veritirum removed his gloves and helmet, spread his hands in front of the fire, and then lumbered over to his desk. He paused as he noticed the pale from of another letter, freshly sealed- with the General's coat of arms, no less-, laid on the oak wood. He quickly picked it up and broke it open; it was a telegraph from Florence. The first few words made his face turn bone-white with horror.

"Captain Wallace Veritirum. You will not go to Florence. 1000 men and women of Pardus company are presumed dead at Al'Asaf'. Reports say it was the Djain. You and Ninth Hatchet-men shipping to Benda tomorrow. Further orders given by the Ambassador. Ave."

His shaking hands dropped the letter as if it had turned red hot. His heart raced. He sat down on the bed. His stoic reserve cracked. The Captain silently wept.

He reached down and picked up the letter, crumbling it in his fist and tossing it into the fire. His eyes burned from the tears, cold, and smoke. He squinted and slumped over on his cot.

During the sleepless night to follow, it seemed a blur to him, as if his most vivid nightmares had sunk their claws into his own world. And seized hold of his only son.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users