1113 replies to this topic

#1101 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

POPULAR

I hope that you try to start an RP with this Path of the Nomad stuff, because if you do, I will be the first person to sign up.

That's in the plans for some point between a few months to a year in the future, depending on how busy I get with thesis and whether I actually finish the important stuff for sign-ups (at the moment I'm still working out spell lists for the magicians which is always a tricky balancing act)

Oh and so this post technically counts here's a Doughboy I drew for Independence Day:

the_doughboys_make_good_by_doodstormer-d

I've also started work greyboxing for Grail a bit early because of its enormity, so I may drop in some screenshots in the future if it looks alright.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#1102 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,839 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Great looking Doughboy you got there! Seems everyone is getting into the World War One bandwagon nowadays, with Battlefield 1 and all. It's nice to see more attention to the cataclysm that caused World War Two.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#1103 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:35 PM

POPULAR

Great looking Doughboy you got there! Seems everyone is getting into the World War One bandwagon nowadays, with Battlefield 1 and all. It's nice to see more attention to the cataclysm that caused World War Two.

I'm gonna pull a hipster and say I liked WWI before it was 'cool', since it's up there with the Dark Ages in my favorite time periods. Something about the collision of ideologies and new technologies is very interesting to me.

Also apparently Battlefield 1 looks like it's neglecting Americans, French, and the Pacific Theater entirely which are all my favorite parts although that could change in the future.

Here's a few more miscellaneous noodlings for the rest of July:

get_rekt_by_doodstormer-daad973.png

I don’t play this game but video games gremlin and soccer mom are my favorites

I’m not an expert on Asian weapons manufacturers but if D.Va is Korean why is the logo for the company printed in English instead of Korean characters? Or is that a common thing I didn’t know about

Also, obligatory:

tumblr_inline_oafivqxHjP1rpr0bp_540.png

quality meme

knight_by_doodstormer-dabndsl.png

Was doing some PotN doodling and got carried away, this is a South Danarian Soldier or Knight.

blasting_off_again__by_doodstormer-dabnd

Finishing this off with more fanart from stuff I haven't played

I never watched/played Pokemon as a kid since my mom thought it was evil, I just remember really liking Team Rocket because they were cool and sneaking bits of it at my cousins’ house.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#1104 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:49 PM

POPULAR

some_business_to_take_care_of_by_doodsto

A quick bump for the other three fans of that one comic at the back of the first F-Zero manual

Posted Image

#1105 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

I wish I'd been a fan, now.

On that note, I love the depth of field blurring you've got going in this picture. It's simply perfect.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1106 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

POPULAR

In case you were wondering how thesis is coming along

Posted Image

#1107 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

The F-Zero manual? That is some obscure crap. I love it. I used to have a Super Nintendo, until it blew up for whatever reason. I got an NES not long ago though, and have been playing a lot of the original Castlevania on it :)

The fire and smoke effect is really nice by the way. The style is lovably cartoonish (not too much, just enough), with the shading and the small details, like on the gun and on the chin and on his face. And like Princess Burger said the depth of field effects are simply perfect. The "shallow focus orbs" are a great touch. I am used to working with a camera, and must say you got that part down really well.

Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#1108 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

POPULAR

*unhinges jaw*

15203389_1837905026491457_50477755601392

15267992_1837905043158122_35475242495778

15284010_1837905129824780_65996604341361

15284953_1837905186491441_35060466209460

Some progress shots from Grail. It's been delayed for another year, but that just gives me more time to expand on functionalities and levels.

15823047_10208517261513143_3070700039897

15826341_10208518282978679_6075007372225

Like these

I also made a bunch of miscellaneous things over this semester:

patrol_by_doodstormer-dachgov.png

Foolin around with fog

happy_birthday_halo_by_doodstormer-dad61

most disrespected franchise award

pin_1_by_doodstormer-dahi3yy.png

pin_3_by_doodstormer-dajw84z.png

trying to learn how to do pin-ups

peachy_keen_by_doodstormer-daq5d7l.png

obligatory peach

plant_shit_seeds__get_shit_weeds_by_dood

some rowdy boys

it_s_for_free_by_doodstormer-das6155.png

maymays

you_only_have_one_shot_by_doodstormer-da

a good video game

mechanic_by_doodstormer-datcgta.png

side project noodling

wars_not_make_one_great__by_doodstormer-

a star war

captain_tanya_turner_by_doodstormer-dau1

and my favorite character i wish i had time to draw the comic for :c

anyway 2016 was a pretty productive year here's to many more years of this insanity

2016_in_review_by_doodstormer-das6cjp.pn

Posted Image

#1109 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

I'd give you compliments but I think at this point I'm just a broken record.

I wish I knew arts better so I could give you actual useful critique, but all of this is beyond me and my diminutive levels of skill/experience. It's perfect and I'm jealous ;u;

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1110 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Supreme Alpha Male. Also the Last Jedi.

• Nova Patron
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Doodstormer Art got me like:

2035_autoplay_gif_gif_vince_mcmahon_wwf.

Those Screenshots from Grail remind me a lot of Lego games, which is high praise since they're one of the few games that we can run on our family's PC without turning the graphics down to 0.

Oh, and the other art stuff is good too but DEM GRAIL SCREENSHOTS DOE

#1111 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

I get the Lego comment a lot haha, it's a temporary solution I had to whip up because the provided stand in guys weren't 7 and 5 feet tall respectively. I plan on replacing them soon but hopefully that doesn't ruin the fun for you :P

Once I get some optimizing done I'll see about getting a new video recorded for you guys. It's straining our Titan Blacks in the labs though so really need to get that fixed first

Posted Image

#1112 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

I don't think I've commented on your stuff, (too lazy to check teebeeaetch) and if so, that is an absolute travesty; you've got an absolutely lovely and very clean approach to linework and a great style.

If I can give one bit of advice (like I have any right to but w/e) your blending and shading could use a bit more work on the more 'painterly' pieces such as the pin-up girl in the green shirt. First I would suggest blending it a bit more for example the skin on her leg has three very distinct gradients, which is completely fine if you're doing clean cartoon shading but here I think blending them more would be ideal.
Additionally I might try ramping up the colour contrast making the highlights a bit lighter and the shadows a bit darker, as well as play with the colour ramps a bit; for example the blue coat on that vault-girl looking red head could shift to a much deeper blue or even a purple, it's not necessary I think, but I find it's a good way to make lighting look more dynamic.
Alright I've rambled way too long, keep posting cool stuff as your art is fantastic. :P

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#1113 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

If I can give one bit of advice (like I have any right to but w/e) your blending and shading could use a bit more work on the more 'painterly' pieces such as the pin-up girl in the green shirt. First I would suggest blending it a bit more for example the skin on her leg has three very distinct gradients, which is completely fine if you're doing clean cartoon shading but here I think blending them more would be ideal.
Additionally I might try ramping up the colour contrast making the highlights a bit lighter and the shadows a bit darker, as well as play with the colour ramps a bit; for example the blue coat on that vault-girl looking red head could shift to a much deeper blue or even a purple, it's not necessary I think, but I find it's a good way to make lighting look more dynamic.
Alright I've rambled way too long, keep posting cool stuff as your art is fantastic. :P

Amateurs are always welcome in the ol' sketchbawks :D

The contrasts are something I'm still fooling around with a lot recently - some people think I go too intense and others think I go too light, so most of my time lately gets eaten up fiddling with levels a lot. Blending more would probably make them play nicer with each other though so I'll keep that in mind.

It also doesn't help that some of the more recent ones like Turner were drawn at home on my craptop that tends to wash out all colors - making things seem less contrasted to me than they actually are. It can have unfortunate effects when combined with all the highly saturated colors I insist on using. :P (for instance Turner's hair appears slightly orange on my screen atm even though I specifically designed her with pure #FF0000 red hair and was using only a slightly darker pure red)

Posted Image

#1114 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,867 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

15826341_10208518282978679_6075007372225

That looks SO Banner Saga.

Which is fine though. :P

Great stuff as usual.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users