Photo

Fantasy ACTION Contest! (art, writing, or LEGO!)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

POPULAR

fantasy_action.jpg

This contest is all about ACTION! And since our Wulfgard Kickstarter project is still running (it ends May 17), it's all about MEDIEVAL FANTASY action!

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to either DRAW, WRITE, or BUILD (with LEGO) a fantasy action scene! Then post it here for our judges to evaluate. Once all entries have been scored, you could win one of several cool prizes! For more details, keep reading...

contest_monster_enter.jpg

Your challenge is to create a tense and action-packed scene in a medieval fantasy setting. You can make an entry of any of the following types:

• ART: Draw the most action-packed scene you possibly can. It can be a single image or a sequence of up to eight images (like a six-frame comic page).
  • WRITING: In 2000 words or less, briefly introduce and then play out an action-packed scene to its conclusion.
  • LEGO: Build a vignette or diorama of an action scene in LEGO form (as in our previous LEGO Duel Vignette Contest), or make an action-packed LEGO comic of six frames or fewer.

Then just post your entry in a reply to this thread! If your entry consists of several large images or a large block of text, you may post it elsewhere (such as in our LEGO board or art & writing boards) and then link to your topic in a reply here.

The entry limit is two (2) entries per person. The current DEADLINE is June 8.

contest_monster_faq.jpg

Here are some additional rules and guidelines to consider. Feel free to ask questions, and the answers will be added to the FAQ below.

• Your action scene should be as INTENSE as possible, but it DOES NOT NEED TO BE VIOLENT. You can present a chase scene, for example. Or some adventurers avoiding traps. Or a wizard trying to tame a dragon. Or, yes, you can do a fight scene with lots of blood like the ones in our header image.  :P
  • You can either use a generic medieval-fantasy setting, or an existing one (LotR, D&D, Elder Scrolls, etc.) - including Wulfgard, our own fantasy setting! We'd love it if you would choose Wulfgard, but it's not required and will not give you an advantage in the contest.

contest_monster_judging.jpg

Your entry will be judged on its quality and on the intensity of the action presented - the more intense, the better! Judges will include me (Saber-Scorpion), Maverick-Werewolf, and at least three volunteers. If you'd like to volunteer to judge, just ask in a reply! It's first come, first serve, except that certain forum ranks will take precedent (Wulfgard supporter > Nova Member or Moderator > Freebie).

Winners will get the following prizes:

If we get enough entries, we MAY split the winners into groups by medium - in which case we could have an Art winner, Writing winner, and LEGO winner. In that case, each group will have one gold winner!

contest_monster_entries.jpg

LEGO entries:

Art entries:

Writing entries:

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#2 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

What is the max size a build can be? I'm assuming the smallest is 8x8.
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

What is the max size a build can be? I'm assuming the smallest is 8x8.

You can go as small as you think would work for you. As for maximum... Let's say 32x32 studs (standard large baseplate size).

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#4 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

Well, of course I'm entering this. I need another medal.

emily-blunt.gif

#5 Patriot 96

Patriot 96

Lego fan

• Nova Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

Can It be set in a less traditional fantasy setting like steampunk?

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

Nope. Sorry. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

Ah good, action. The one thing I can't write to save my life.

Guess who's gunning for last place?

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#8 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

POPULAR

You can include a few steampunk like elements (like the dwarven technology in Elder Scrolls, for example), but the setting must still be medieval-ish, not Victorian era or Wild West like a lot of Steampunk.

Ah good, action. The one thing I can't write to save my life.

Guess who's gunning for last place?

Last place gets a special icon too! :D

Spoiler

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#9 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Wanted Dead or Alive

• Nova Patron
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

Your challenge is to create a tense and action-packed scene in a medieval fantasy setting. You can make an entry of any of the following types:

• ART: Draw the most action-packed scene you possibly can. It can be a single image or a sequence of up to eight images (like a six-frame comic page).
  • WRITING: In 2000 words or less, briefly introduce and then play out an action-packed scene to its conclusion.
  • LEGO: Build a vignette or diorama of an action scene in LEGO form (as in our previous LEGO Duel Vignette Contest), or make an action-packed LEGO comic of six frames or fewer

challenge-accepted-how-i-met-your-mother

BTW, does it have to be from Wulfgard? 

Ideas from some of my RP quests from my family's RP come to mind... :D

#10 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

BTW, does it have to be from Wulfgard?

• You can either use a generic medieval-fantasy setting, or an existing one (LotR, D&D, Elder Scrolls, etc.) - including Wulfgard, our own fantasy setting! We'd love it if you would choose Wulfgard, but it's not required and will not give you an advantage in the contest.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#11 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Wanted Dead or Alive

• Nova Patron
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

giphy.gif

forres.png

#12 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:14 PM

Here is my first entry

LEGO MOC:

Blood Pit

Entry #1: http://forums.saber-...showtopic=10525

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

Can I use Garry's Mod?

gdV21HZ.gif

#14 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

Can I use Garry's Mod?

For like a comic you mean? Sure, why not.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#15 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

If every porkchop were perfect . . .

• Nova Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

Does it absolutely have to be 2 thousand words or less?
Because I really want to write more.

And basically almost already have.

And I'm not even to the fighting part yet.

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

heroes_and_villains_header___small_by_ra

Click the picture to check out Reaperman290's new roleplay, Heroes & Villains!

no I'm not just advertising it because it's a spin-off of my own roleplay why would you think that

#16 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

Does it absolutely have to be 2 thousand words or less?
Because I really want to write more.

And basically almost already have.

And I'm not even to the fighting part yet.

Really? I estimated three single spaced pages should be enough for one action scene, but it might be a bit on the short end. Sure, you can go over. Just try not to write like 10 pages. 5 or 6 maybe. It should concentrate on the action, without too much buildup. Give us some gist of what's happening as we go along, let the reader piece it together... or just leave it vague. Not that laying some groundwork is against the rules, but the action will be the focus of the judging.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#17 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

If every porkchop were perfect . . .

• Nova Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

Does it necessarily have to be . . . you know, stab-stab fighting? Or would a battle of wits, so to speak, suffice?

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

heroes_and_villains_header___small_by_ra

Click the picture to check out Reaperman290's new roleplay, Heroes & Villains!

no I'm not just advertising it because it's a spin-off of my own roleplay why would you think that

#18 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

Does it necessarily have to be . . . you know, stab-stab fighting? Or would a battle of wits, so to speak, suffice?

Doesn't have to be a battle at all - like I said in the FAQ, something like a chase scene or an adventurer getting past some deadly traps would work. As for a battle of wits, I'm not sure if that involves enough action... A fight that requires intelligence and tactics might work though, or some kind of magical duel that is like a physical manifestation of a battle of wills... For example, in Wulfgard a shaman might dreamwalk into someone's mind and fight them in their own dreams... I dunno, just throwing stuff out there. If you had something specific in mind, feel free to explain it, and I'll let you know if I think it could work. :)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#19 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Wanted Dead or Alive

• Nova Patron
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

https://youtu.be/U_eZmEiyTo0

#20 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hmm I'd love to enter but by May 31st I will have neither enough resources or building skill in LEGO yet to feel confident enough to participate with something and writing and drawing are definitely not options for me, maybe next time I hope :lego_smile:

Right or wrong, which side are you on, does it even matter if it's on the same coin?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users