Photo

The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7613 replies to this topic

#6561 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

There's also splitscreen...for both. Yep, even on PC.

Didn't think the Xbone had it in it. 

Five Nights at Freddy's is getting an interactive Haunted House experience thing. This is...pretty much perfect. Make a fake Chuck E. Cheese, put some creepyish costumes, and have loud noises and jumps. A typical haunted house experience thing, and you're accurate to the game as well. Win win.

EDIT: Now for News that only me and Ocelot will care about. First screen of the Bayonetta Amiibo!

C_Cross_Beyo_pre.jpg

It was posted on the PlatinumGames blog by the games' director. The same article links to a set of hidden tricks for Bayo 2. I kind of expected these tricks to be stuff I already knew, but they actually are interesting things I had no idea about. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#6562 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:14 PM

Plus, just because the console can output 4K does not mean that the game would actually be playable in it. Plus, like. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but 4K just means the amount of pixels that makes up the image. So, like, it's not going to make 3D models look any better because they are the same number of polygons. And textures--unless they are upscaled to 4K, they won't look any better either.

Right?

I guess it depends on exactly how much work is going to go into these Pro/Scorpio patches. Simply raising the resolution will make a game look a lot cleaner, because it'll smooth out the rough edges and there'll be less need for anti-aliasing. Take a look at any old PC game running at modern resolutions, or a PS2-to-PS3 HD remaster or something. Metal Gear Solid 3 looks gorgeous in the HD Collection, but you'd never mistake it for an actual PS3 game because the textures and geometry are much too simple.

I feel like some of these 4K patches are going to get preeeetty big if they have to start including much higher-res versions of every texture in the game. You'd hope that most games developed in this era would be reasonably futureproof, especially multiplatform games that you can already play at 4K on a PC, but you never know.

I'm loving all Microsoft's jabs of late. Sony is banging that 4K HDR drum so loudly, but it's falling on deaf ears because we can't see any of it on our non-4K, non-HDR monitors, and Microsoft just gets to sit back and poke fun. They're getting their revenge for all the points Sony scored off them back in the Xbox One DRM days :P

EDIT: Now for News that only me and Ocelot will care about. First screen of the Bayonetta Amiibo!

This was going to be my first ever Amiibo, but then I got too excited about Zelda during E3 and ending up buying Twilight Princess HD with the Wolf Link Amiibo so I could have a big fluffy buddy in Breath of the Wild. I'm secretly hoping Platinum will patch some kind of DLC into Bayonetta 2 that you can unlock with this thing, something like the extra stuff you could unlock in Captain Toad with a Toad Amiibo. (Also those Bayo 2 secrets are blowing my mind here.)

Speaking of Platinum, Siliconera is reporting that Nier Automata has an automatic mode, where the game essentially plays itself during the combat parts so you can just enjoy the story if you want. I think this is probably just the same auto combo mode from the Bayonettas (and Easy Automatic in DMC), so it's not exactly new, but still a nice option for people who don't want to do the fighting bits.

EDIT - More Yakuza 6 awesomeness:

GenuineRegalAdeliepenguin.gif

#6563 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:12 AM

HkDA4MT.jpg

rly makes u think...

xgd0s9.jpg

#6564 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:36 AM

And speaking of the Nintendo An Axe:

Mx1RpWy.png?1

Keep your grains of salt handy. It could always just be Amiibos, or a New Galaxy Style Nintendo New 3DS or the NES Mini or something. Don't let them see your hype. Best to assume it's nothing and just get on with your life. Don't do it.

Don't.

Spoiler

#6565 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,108 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:46 AM

I heard about this a few days ago that there would be an NX announcement within the next week. I  thought it was bogus. hmm........

As far as the 4K thing goes. Basically double the pixels on screen. Native is double. Upscaled is 1080p or higher resolution just stretched out to match the resolution. Rumors of 1440p or 1600p or so in Sony's camp on the Pro with upscaling to 4K. 4K that Sony/Microsoft is aiming for is basically 2160p AKA 4000x2000 pixels range.  Microsoft wants Native and Sony could have some games just getting the Upscale treatment. Games will look different, but depends on the development. Sony has restricted some things. Microsoft on the other hand has not. 

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#6566 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:50 PM

So remember that Super Mario Maker 3DS port that was announced and then killed two minutes later when they mentioned it wouldn't have any online features? Well, at least it'll look a little different to the Wii U version in stereoscopic 3D, right?

super_mario_maker_for_nintendo_3ds_box_a

"Plays only in 2D". Of course.

#6567 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

Sony has restricted some things. Microsoft on the other hand has not. 

That statement could be applied very easily to other things that the PS4 and Xbone can (or could in one case) do.

*cough* Fallout 4 and Skyrim: Special Edition mods *cough*

Sorry, getting a little sick.

So remember that Super Mario Maker 3DS port that was announced and then killed two minutes later when they mentioned it wouldn't have any online features? Well, at least it'll look a little different to the Wii U version in stereoscopic 3D, right?

super_mario_maker_for_nintendo_3ds_box_a

"Plays only in 2D". Of course.

There are reasons to why I say that Nintendo seems to have lost their minds recently.  This is just another thrown onto that pile.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#6568 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

Ubisoft sez:

We announced that we're developing Just Dance for NX and we have other surprises that we will announce later, but we also believe Nintendo has the power to reinvent the way families are playing

Beyond Good & Evil 2 confirmed!

Spoiler

The Persona 5 steelbook looks preeeeetty cool:

P5-SteelBook_09-20-16.jpg

Apparently it's like a day one edition sort of deal. Everyone who buys the standard version of the game at launch will get one of these. I don't know if you get the normal plastic box and this, or just the steelbook. Either way, that's pretty neat. Super high-res version of the art here.

EDIT - Foxconn, the electronics manufacturer that makes everything except employee happiness, has started full production of the PS4 Pro, and 'trial' production of the NX. I feel like we're going to see leaked pictures of it from the production line before Nintendo actually announces the bloody thing.

#6569 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,108 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:11 AM

Some more NX Stuff from Foxconn an Artists description.......AND His sketches. So artsy this guy. Draws like a pro

-My old forum.

#6570 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

I'd actually forgotten about WD2 for a while there.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#6571 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:25 PM

Some more NX Stuff from Foxconn an Artists description.......AND His sketches. So artsy this guy. Draws like a pro

Here's that artist's depiction:

CtEbz0jW8AEYyPO.jpg

I don't know what to make of this, because the description doesn't really fit what we've heard so far. It sounds like he's talking about three pieces, not just two. We've been thinking it's a handheld console, like the Wii U Gamepad but with all the hardware inside, and a dock that basically just connects it to a TV. It sounds like this guy is saying that the handheld part is still only going to be streaming video from a separate device, same as the Gamepad. You've got one piece that contains a hard drive, cartridge slot and TV output, but no CPU/GPU, then you've got a separate piece that has the CPU/GPU inside it (and also WiFi). It's battery powered, and then you can plug those two pieces into eachother? But the handheld part always remains separate, and just accepts the video signal from the other two bits. You can take them around with you, but they're going to be in two pieces, so it's hardly portable.

That sounds really bad. Hopefully this is just a prototype, or this guy is making up stories or something.

I'd actually forgotten about WD2 for a while there.

I actually want to play this game, but boy that trailer isn't helping its case. This feels like the kind of story that people will say is being ironic, or 'you just didn't get it', which is always the excuse when something is just bad but people want to like it anyway. Following the trend of all open world game developers wanting that Rockstar money, Watch Dogs 1 was grey and miserable and super serious like GTA IV, whereas Watch Dogs 2 is bright and colourful and sort of scatterbrainedly screwball like GTA V.

Here's a trailer for the next episode of that Hitman game I keep forgetting about but still really want to try:

And why not seventeen minutes of Mafia 3?

#6572 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:59 PM

I demand a DGAFF option on your NX tomfoolery poll.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#6573 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,108 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:20 AM

Top part is said to be the performance booster, bottom part is base or dock. And well the handheld is the handheld. 

I still don't get why you sell the device and a booster to go along with it. Instead of just putting the power in the system to begin with..... Nintendo though I suppose. Maybe the console itself has WiiU's GPU in it. And the booster gives all the games 720p to 900p graphics..........I shouldn't scary you guys like that I know. 

Then again it could be a way to sell it cheap as dirt. Each part sold separately.  NX Console is $199. Performance booster is $50. TV Base is $50. :o Who knows. :P

Said to feature streaming. I assume it has Wi-Fi streaming through the net as well. So you can play your games anywhere you want through the net as well. Kinda like a cloud gaming thing. 

Dock, built in hard drive, cartridge port and interface for tv output etc..
Handheld - built in battery, CPU & GPU. Bluetooth + Wifi. Can plug in to dock to become like static console similar to PS4/XB1. 
6 inch screen 720p. Can display on TV too like Wii U / Nvidia Shield.
Less powerful than PS4. 
Reveal October. If not then delayed. 
2 chip options, either Tegra or AMD.

Basically October is the time when ALL hardware for NX will be final. Its the greenlight point. No final decision has been made yet on that. So........While they are trailing hardware as they say they are testing final designs for mass production. Shouldn't be much longer before they announce it all. Or it gets leaked through the net like everything else. 

EDIT

LOOK ITS PLAYSTATION HOME ON PS4. For those that liked that sort of thing. It kinda looks better than Home. Lol. 

-My old forum.

#6574 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

Oh you guys suck. :P

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#6575 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

Minecraft has officially fired the first bullet at the gate blocking crossplay!

Per Minecraft's twitter, announced at Minecon, Minecraft cross-compatibility is on the way.

Oh, but it gets better. It's not just PS4 and X1..

CtO1dYpVYAA7yWw.jpg

Where this leaves the Wii U at I have no idea, but all save for it getting to play together in the near future...it's a price that seems reasonable considering the alternative is it not happening at all.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#6576 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:17 PM

Character trailer for Yooka Laylee, featuring a nice little cameo:

I don't even have any nostalgia for these kinds of games and I still want to play this.

#6577 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:25 PM

Well that trailer was charming as &#*!. It takes a lot of good animations to bring cartoon characters like that to life but it seems like they've nailed it.

I kind of love how Shovel Knight is basically in every high profile kickstarted indie game ever these days. He's in bloodstained too.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#6578 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

Minecraft has officially fired the first bullet at the gate blocking crossplay!

Per Minecraft's twitter, announced at Minecon, Minecraft cross-compatibility is on the way.

Oh, but it gets better. It's not just PS4 and X1..

CtO1dYpVYAA7yWw.jpg

Where this leaves the Wii U at I have no idea, but all save for it getting to play together in the near future...it's a price that seems reasonable considering the alternative is it not happening at all.

Well that didn't last long. Turns out, its just gonna be X1, PC, and Pocket.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#6579 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

...Well, I think that's to be expected. Considering Microsoft owns Minecraft and they kind of, y'know, are competing with Sony and all...

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#6580 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:27 AM

Well that didn't last long. Turns out, its just gonna be X1, PC, and Pocket.

Aww, and to think that two companies almost overcame their differences and decided to work together.

It's so heartwarming, I think I'm going to be sick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users