Photo

Captain America 3: Hold That L, Tony

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

Poll: SSLF Civil War

Which side are you on?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#521 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

It actually makes me glad Marvel sold the rights to Spider-Man, the Hulk, and Wolverine (the 'big three' of Marvel before the movies). It forced Marvel to put the focus on the B-listers.

And now they're A-listers.

IDK about you, but Iron Man and Captain America have never been B or C-listers for me. At the risk of sounding like a hipster, I knew about them before they were cool and I didn't even read comics all that much back in the day. Hell, my first encounters with them were in Marvel Vs Capcom in arcades. :P

Antman and Wasp I considered hardcore D-Listers (oooh shots fired) but are now getting their own movies.

-bucky run-

I like this one more. :P

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#522 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Patron
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

IDK about you, but Iron Man and Captain America have never been B or C-listers for me. At the risk of sounding like a hipster, I knew about them before they were cool and I didn't even read comics all that much back in the day. Hell, my first encounters with them were in Marvel Vs Capcom in arcades. :P

Yeah, but if we're talking about the general public (IE people who don't read comics), they might be names they recognize but not characters they're super familiar with, certainly not on the level of Hulk or Spidey. To someone reading the books, yeah, Cap and Tony were A-Listers, but ask your average non-nerdy moviegoer and they'd have just shrugged before 2008.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

ezgif_com_b873041021.gif

#523 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, but if we're talking about the general public (IE people who don't read comics), they might be names they recognize but not characters they're super familiar with, certainly not on the level of Hulk or Spidey. To someone reading the books, yeah, Cap and Tony were A-Listers, but ask your average non-nerdy moviegoer and they'd have just shrugged before 2008.

Right and I still have a hard time believing that. :P I mean really, Captain America wasn't well known? FFS, he's America's Captain! :P

tqtEf64.gif

#524 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

...As your local non-nerd Avenger movie-goer, I don't think I knew much - if anything - about our dear Cappy or Iron Man before their movies happened. I mean, maybe, but definitely not beyond memes about them, if even then.

I never touched any Marvel comics until the movies began taking off (and, strictly speaking, still haven't. Unless you count me pawing at my screen... >.> )

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#525 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

• Webmaster
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

POPULAR

When I was a kid, I watched all of the popular 90's superhero cartoons. They were: Spider-Man, X-Men, and of course the timeless classic Batman: The Animated Series. There was an Iron Man show too, and an older Hulk one I think, but I never really watched those, and neither did any of my comic-book-loving cousins. We were all 100% into X-Men and Spidey. Sometimes Iron Man or Captain America or Thor (or the Fantastic Four, whom I hated) would get a cameo or a mention in a cartoon (usually in Spider-Man) or something, but I didn't know much about them except they were "from the comics." And I didn't know much about the comics, except what I read on the back of trading cards (which I enjoyed collecting - I still have tons of them). My Marvel universe was pretty much just Spider-Man and X-Men, and it was the same for most other kids of my day. I think that's why those two got movies "first" in the early 2000's.

So yeah, based on my own experiences, I'd have to agree with Oufy and Grant. The movies brought the likes of Iron Man and Cap and Thor out of comic book obscurity for a lot of people.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#526 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,541 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:49 AM

Before these movies I thought Captain America was kind of a joke and didn't really understand why there was a god from Norse mythology in comic books. I think I had a vague idea about Iron Man, but I definitely didn't know Black Widow or Vision or Falcon or Winter Soldier or any of those duders. I was pretty much all about DC comics characters until the MCU really got up and going. I watched Batman when I was young, then Justice League, and at some point I read The Dark Knight Returns, and I felt pretty content with that, so I never bothered with Marvel stuff.

Having said that, I still don't know if I'm a 'Captain America fan'. I'm a huge fan of Captain America as played by Chris Evans and directed by the Russo Brothers, but I'm not going to dash out and buy a bunch of comics that have Cap in them, y'know? I liked the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon, but Cap was a bit of a jabroni in that. And if they ever recast Cap in the movies, they'd have a pretty tough job of winning me over again; same with all the MCU characters, really. 

#527 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

IDK about you guys, but I loved the hell outta this.

tqtEf64.gif

#528 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,844 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, you're the only one. :P

#529 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Patron
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

ezgif_com_b873041021.gif

#530 Spark

Spark

Sparkie92#0038

• Nova Patron
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

The only thing going on in my head was wondering if the people that draw amatuer anime are incapable of drawing male characters.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#531 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

That artwork was actually really well done. It's apparently all fanart from some video game. Not bad. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#532 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Patron
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

The only thing going through my head was "why are Rhodey and Sam generically white like everyone else?"

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#533 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

• Webmaster
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

POPULAR

The only thing going through my head was "why are Rhodey and Sam generically white like everyone else?"

According to the comments they are all characters from a game or something?

Anyway, as far as Civil War + Japanese art, I like this one better:

oGgzZCk.jpg

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#534 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, you're the only one. :P

7uvvd1Y.jpg

jk love ya guise ;D

The only thing going on in my head was wondering if the people that draw amatuer anime are incapable of drawing male characters.

No, I think the person who did these is a pro, the pics were prolly just done quickly. :P

But not why WarMachine's pigtails are going through the helmet? :P

Yeah, the characters are from some Japanese game that up until a few hours ago I had never heard of called The Idolmaster? I dunno, I just thought this was hilarious because when you get a "srs bidnis" concept and mix it with silly cutesy anime characters it makes me roll over with laughter. :P

As for that kabuki painting, that's pretty dope! I dig that a lot.

tqtEf64.gif

#535 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

So I'm a huge Rick and Morty fan and loved the hell out of the CW spoof someone made (Warning: Naughty words). 

I wasn't ready for how emotional the actual scene, and the ones that followed it, were in the movie. Talk about jarring. 

Edited by The Captain, 19 May 2016 - 06:16 PM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#536 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

POPULAR

UbADnMk.jpg

Found it!

nY1rpGl.gif

#537 Spark

Spark

Sparkie92#0038

• Nova Patron
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:14 AM

POPULAR

From Reddit:

eXlKSlO.jpg

saQnqb7.png

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#538 Risk

Risk

• Nova Patron
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:19 AM

oGgzZCk.jpg

Now THIS is just like my Japanese animes

xgd0s9.jpg

#539 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Patron
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

POPULAR

Okay so like the late guy I just saw Civil War last night and boy do I have stuff to say. 

1: People who hate shooting their guns. 

I saw at least three people who decided to err on the side of caution and not pull a trigger on Cap or Black Widow, but instead walk up reeeaaal close to them and just kind of point the thing until their part in the choreography came up. No panning camera revealing them off to the left or right is going to hide the fact that I don't see muzzle flashes when I should be seeing an abundance of muzzle flashes. It ruined the movie for me. No exaggeration there, it ruuuined it for me. Why? Because both Cap and Black Widow should definitely be shot. And probably Falcon too, the way that guy on the roof was just waiting for the camera to turn his way to become relevant. YOU CANT FOOL ME SCREENPLAY DIRECTOR. I have object permanence in my brain. 

Don't even get me started on Black Widow hiding behind a guy to protect her from the blast of the grenade, which somehow shoves her human shield up against a humvee door so hard that it rips it off its hinges, but doesn't do an enduring thing to the meat of the redhead sandwich. And let's not even talk about how grenades in enclosed spaces totally burn everything (especially voluminous, bouncy red locks and milk colored skin), and that her eardrums would be bleeding just from the pressure, with or without ear protection (which only provides 20-30db of protection). 

Seriously, every time I see a guy pointing a gun at an Avenger, or walking toward an Avenger, it ruins the movie from start to finish. Because shot lined up or no, these guys should be afraid enough of the Cap or Widow to be working the trigger with reckless abandon. But no. Nope don't do that. Don't shoot Widow in her stupid mexican standoff, just order her to drop her weapon. Yeah. Great cinema there. 

If there are any of you out there reading my words who still thing a mexican standoff is a great time to not shoot them down as fast as you can, consider yourself wrong. If anyone tells you to "drop the gun"/etc, it's because they're afraid of you, and the moment their mouth opens to say something about "do this or I'll do that" is the moment you should go bang until you go click. I'm sick of directors setting up stupid standoffs to build tension and thinking people buy into it. There was no reason for the guys to not shoot Black Widow. None whatsoever, beyond plot convenience, and that's boopity-shnooples. 

2: How far can Cap Fall? 

I'm not talking about his superhuman muscle parkouring, I'm talking about the endless times this movie that Cap falls from heights ranging one to seven stories and landing all ugly. Yeah, I get it, he has muscles. And yeah, I get it, his bones or something must be awesome too. But excuse me, did this serum make his organs extra tough too? He's always falling down stuff. In fact, plenty of people are always falling off stuff. Spidey is forgivable to a certain extent. But Rhodes? No. That fall? Don't make me laugh. He was wrecked. Ruptured organs dude. Bucky was falling down too. All over the place. I don't think anyone in this movie, from choreography to acting to screenwriting to directing have ever fallen flat on their back from so much as a foot off the ground, because in this movie Avengers and villains alike are playdough monsters who can hit the ground like a bag of sand and just roll over and get back up without so much as a shortness of breath. 

Let me put this in persepective:

2isilup_medium.gif

A throw like that is typically considered a game-ender. A guy who gets hit for a living typically can't make a recovery from that. Now imagine a fall like that, but from like, three stories up. Yeah, ouch. 

And don't give me any of the "they're wearing armor" stuff because that soft floppy armor with no rigid parts isn't going to do jack squat for blunt trauma. 

Too much falling with too little consequences. Sure I get it Cap is a hunk and his body never quits because that's his power. But the fact that he can get hurt by punches suggests that blunt trauma does affect him, and falling ought to as well. 

3: Cap is a jerk to his friends.

Yeah, remember where

Spoiler
and Cap is like
Spoiler
Yeah, that's Cap being self absorbed and getting his friends
Spoiler
And then they get all mad at
Spoiler
as if they didn't know what they were getting into. 

4: The airport fight was a writing disaster

It was pretty cool through the most of it, not going to lie, and they definitely did a good job of showing how some of them "kissed and made up". But I feel like the writers starting writing the fight, and got really excited about some ideas, and then they realized that they wrote themselves into a corner. Because

Spoiler
was entirely unnecessary when he could have just shot the
Spoiler
for even one second, and have avoided the entire
Spoiler
which was made into 110% pure poppycock as
Spoiler
has some epiphany that Cap isn't going to stop, and so
Spoiler
isn't going to try to stop him with
Spoiler
totally stop-him-able super taserdeath bracelet.

PLOT CONVENIENCE out the wazoo. And don't even get me started on how duuuumb

Spoiler
was. Excuse me, excuse me, but if Galileo has taught me anything, it's that two
Spoiler
are going to fall at the same speed, and if
Spoiler
was accelerating into that descent, in a
Spoiler
he definitely could have reached him in time, and so there. 

5: Cap is not a hero in this movie. 

Spoiler

But Spidey was awesome. And Ant Man's "I need orange slices" was stupid. Why didn't he say something that normal adults say after a long day, like "I need a beer" or something that didn't make you feel like you missed an orange slices scene in Ant Man? 

Anyways, all my nitpicking aside, I did like it. But I hate Cap and I hate Bucky and I hate that they

Spoiler

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#540 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

POPULAR

jimmies_did_i_just_hear_some_rustling_ji

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users