Doctor Who

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Patron
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

There have been many Doctor Who topics in the past, almost as many as there have been Doctors. Unfortunately, due to the atrocity that is BBC Entertainment budget, only 13-14 episodes are produced a year, causing the older Doctor Who topics to go stale quickly, unable to sustain themselves for 3/4 of a year.

Anyway, tomorrow is the start of Series 6! Staring Matt Smith as #11 and Karren Gillan as companion Amy Pond.

Now enjoy some trailer to wet thine appetite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpe1Ywz8azM

And some more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx3shuyU_nM

'Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords'
'Fear me, I've killed all of them.'

The last series was good, but I felt that Moffat needed to take tighter reigns of the series. Nevertheless, the writing was a superb improvement on R.T Davis' a couple of years ago. And although I was, for the most part, slightly disappointed with series 5 (I thought Moffat's writing was better when he was a guest writer), I can't help but get caught up in the hype. BBC Wales certainly know how to make enticing trailers! :D

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#2 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Let's not forget to credit Matt Smith. Despite the usueal fan hoo-hah, he's proven himself to be an excellent Doctor. He has that charm that I liked so much in Eccelston.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#3 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Patron
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

Let's not forget to credit Matt Smith. Despite the usueal fan hoo-hah, he's proven himself to be an excellent Doctor. He has that charm that I liked so much in Eccelston.

Agreed.

I think Karen Gillan has been ok as the Doctor's Companion, but she's only ever been the Doctor's Companion so far. This season looks like she's going to take the reigns a bit more.

In terms of the story, i'm really interested in this new season. Doctor's been running but now he's going to face something. River Song is finally going to reveal herself. Some scary creature that's killed loads of Time Lords. Doctor has killed loads of Time Lords (could just be the same old thing with him blaming himself for being the last surviving Time Lord, but I prefer to speculate).

All in all, it looks like it's going to be an exciting fezz-filled adventure!

~ Golden-Star

#4 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Patron
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

Agreed

In terms of the story, i'm really interested in this new season. Doctor's been running but now he's going to face something. River Song is finally going to reveal herself. Some scary creature that's killed loads of Time Lords. Doctor has killed loads of Time Lords (could just be the same old thing with him blaming himself for being the last surviving Time Lord, but I prefer to speculate).

He wiped out the entire Time lord race personally at the end of the Time war, along with the daleks. And then killed the surviving time lords in his last ep as the 10th doctor.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#5 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

I think Karen Gillan has been ok as the Doctor's Companion, but she's only ever been the Doctor's Companion so far. This season looks like she's going to take the reigns a bit more.

I like Rory. Unlike the whole Rose/Mickey thing, the Doctor genuinely seems to like him, and is trying his best to get the two together.

That would probably be the oh-so-mysterious Silence. I've seen their designs, which looks pretty cool, though a quick glance would have you mistake them for an Ood.

He wiped out the entire Time lord race personally at the end of the Time war, along with the daleks. And then killed the surviving time lords in his last ep as the 10th doctor.

He didn't kill them, he just sent them back to the Time War, 'cuz you really, really can't kill off the Master permanently. He's just too iconic, like the Daleks. He's the Joker to the Doctor's Batman, so to speak.

Edited by Richard, 21 April 2011 - 08:52 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Patron
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

River Song is finally going to reveal herself.

:D Considering the trailers, this sentence is all the funnier.

Did anyone watch the Comic Relief Doctor Who special? It involved a Tardis within a Tardas, Amy flirting with Amy and Rory, while attempting to fix the base of the Tardis, accidentally dropping a thermo-coupling after Amy, wearing a short skirt as per norm, walks overhead on the glass floor of the main deck. Giggles all round! :P

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

#7 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

It's not a fez anymore, it's a Stetson. Stetsons. Are. Cool.

#8 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

It's not a fez anymore, it's a Stetson. Stetsons. Are. Cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWYw0CnuSI

Edited by Richard, 21 April 2011 - 09:59 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#9 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Patron
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:46 PM

So it launches tomorrow for the US! I am so excited to see this. I started the Doctor Who series with the one with the Angels (forgot the epeidsode's title) and became hooked onto the show. I've tried to go wtach as many of the older series as I could but I haven't gotten very far. 'Sides, I really like Matt Smith as the Doctor. He's funny, random, and so child-like.

And that trailer was the most epic thing I have ever seen.

And my parents went to Turkey and bought me a fezz. :3

Posted Image

#10 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Patron
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:15 AM

:D Considering the trailers, this sentence is all the funnier.

Did anyone watch the Comic Relief Doctor Who special? It involved a Tardis within a Tardas, Amy flirting with Amy and Rory, while attempting to fix the base of the Tardis, accidentally dropping a thermo-coupling after Amy, wearing a short skirt as per norm, walks overhead on the glass floor of the main deck. Giggles all round! :P

That is immature. And also true :P. I'm not sure what it is with all this sexyness recently. It might be because the Sarah Jane Adventures are taking the younger audience away from Doctor Who, and so they're allowed to make it scaryer and sexyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWYw0CnuSI

FTW

~ Golden-Star

#11 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,155 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:20 AM

So, Mark Shepperd (Badger from Firefly) is in this new DW series.

WIN. I'm even more pumped now.

lWZ8e6F.png

#12 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Patron
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

Sarah Jane Adventures

:'(

RIP Liz Sladen.

#13 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Patron
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:26 AM

So, Mark Shepperd (Badger from Firefly) is in this new DW series.

WIN. I'm even more pumped now.

WIN!

This just gets better and better (although i'd prefer it if he was in a new season of Firefly instead :P).

~ Golden-Star

#14 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Patron
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

Well the first episode of series 6 airs in half an hour. I'll post my thoughts on the episode soon after. I'll put it in spoiler tags as I'm not sure when it shows in the US. I don't want to ruin it for the American fans! :P

I reckon I should go back to making Doctor Who signatures once more - I can't let Richard have all the fun! :P

#15 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

Well the first episode of series 6 airs in half an hour. I'll post my thoughts on it in a spoiler as I'm not sure when it shows in the US. I don't want to ruin it for the American fans! :P

I think we get it at 10PM, 9 1/2 hours from now.
I'm still trying to decide if I should watch it on BBCA, or wait until tomorrow and try to catch it on the internet. 'Cause I think BBCA tends to cut some bits out, due to its immense amount of commercial breaks.

#16 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Patron
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

I think we get it at 10PM, 9 1/2 hours from now.
I'm still trying to decide if I should watch it on BBCA, or wait until tomorrow and try to catch it on the internet. 'Cause I think BBCA tends to cut some bits out, due to its immense amount of commercial breaks.

Try timing the episode. It lasts for ~45 minutes on BBC 1 and if the BBC America version is shorter, then we'll know they leave things out for sure.

#17 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Patron
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:19 AM

Spoiler

~ Golden-Star

#18 Nemesis

Nemesis

It's a mumorpuger!

• 825 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

I so want to find out what happens next week. The episode was so intriguing and mysterious, with so many possibilities in how it ends. The whole thing was just a giant cliffhanger. Brilliant way to start a new series. Next week cannot come soon enough.
...I really need to think up something witty to put here.

#19 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Patron
  • 777 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

First off, I'm glad they added the dedication to Elizabeth Sladen at the beginning. The 15 minute broadcast about her legacy on CBBC was also heartfelt and satisfying.

Spoiler

#20 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Patron
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:23 AM

First off, I'm glad they added the dedication to Elizabeth Sladen at the beginning. The 15 minute broadcast about her legacy on CBBC was also heartfelt and satisfying.

Spoiler

I agree wholeheartedly. And those gifs made me LOL. That poke one is going in my sig (If, that is, you tell me how to put gifs into the forum. I'm a n00b at this coding stuff :wacko:).

EDIT: Managed it myself! Observe new pokey sig B)

~ Golden-Star

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users