NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Arrowfall ((Delving Too Deep))

13 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,982 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Arrowfall was not unlike Rimegard in some respects, but on a much smaller and less grand level. The architecture was partially Imperial, but there were traces of the Northerner village that once use to lie underneath. Since walls were a necessity to an Achaean city in Northrim, Arrowfall had those - tall and sturdy - and the gates were watched by soldiers with eagle eyes ready to call out any signs of hostility from the Northmen.

A cool Northern wind often blew over the city, fluttering the banners bearing the city's stag emblem. Overall, the place looked rather humble: the buildings were mostly somewhat small and several looked somewhat poor, but scattered throughout the city rested several manors of rich Imperials, mostly younger sons looking to conquer themselves an area of land in Northrim and have their own small region to rule. Nearly all the buildings, however, were made of wood.

The city had recovered well from the attacks by the various necromancers and such and the invasion of undead after the plague curse, all things considered. To see the city now, one would not have guessed such a thing had happened at all... except for the impressive temple to Astra Aeterna that had now cropped up, serving also as a Templar stronghold.

---

When the adventurers arrived in the city, it was nightfall. The darkness set several of them on edge - namely Valya and Garandros - but at least the moon was in such a phase that it was almost invisible. There was no great pull from the Wolf that night.

Caiden, on the other hand, seemed agitated. He didn't say a word or look anyone in the eye as the group approached the best spot to make their plans: the nearest tavern.

It wasn't busy this time of night, at least not terribly. But the people within seemed tense, and they glanced at the group of strangers with suspicion - until they saw Venatori among them. The whispers picked up then, but no one directly addressed the group.

Everyone easily found a big table to gather around and discuss their plans. The map Agni had provided was laid out, and they saw their options:

-They could head directly toward the Edge and attempt to pass through the Immortal Wood
-They could head north through the wilderness and pass through Blekmyr Marsh
-They could attempt to find some other path

These were their options. Each had its dangers. But they would have to reach that X on the map somehow - and the sooner they dealt with the dangers of the Edge, the better off they would be.

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#2 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

Garandros leaned over the table, a characteristic scowl on his face, but in a relatively good mood. The journey from Rimegard had been less eventful than he had feared.

"The Immortal Wood is a fool's errand," he declared. "I'd rather take my chances with the creatures of the mash than try and slip past the elves of Mimameidr."

------

Elnira yawned, exhausted after their trip so far. "Can we not go further North?" she queried the group. "I have family in the Dwaerrodowns, it would be a lovely place to stop off."

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#3 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

"The Immortal Wood is a fool's errand. I'd rather take my chances with the creatures of the marsh than try and slip past the elves of Mimameidr."

Allya turned to face the scarred, eye-patched man, feeling a twinge of annoyance at his words. "I was born in Mimameidr. Since we are just passing through, the elves should not trouble us unless we start trouble" she said.

"Can we not go further North? I have family in the Dwaerrodowns, it would be a lovely place to stop off."

"It is too far out of our way" she countered politely. "Were we to take a slower, safer route, Endibraut hall would make a far more logical point for entry to the Edge" she offered, remembering the advice Eydis had given them.

"I say we take the path through the Immortal Wood. It's the most direct route" Valya said simply.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#4 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

*Angry Anime Grunting*

• Nova Patron
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

"The Immortal Wood is a fool's errand, I'd rather take my chances with the creatures of the mash than try and slip past the elves of Mimameidr."

"Really?" Agethar said, arching an eyebrow "I'd rather deal with elves than with creatures I cannae reason with."

---

"The Immortal Wood is a fool's errand, I'd rather take my chances with the creatures of the mash than try and slip past the elves of Mimameidr."

A chill went down Malvolio's spine at the mention of going through a marsh. Unwanted memories of the creep-infested swamps of Deltalund came flooding back, causing him to unknowingly grip the haft of his axe.

"I was born in Mimameidr. Since we are just passing through, the elves should not trouble us unless we start trouble."

"I agree," the Templar said a bit too hastily "passing through the Immortal Wood would be a safer path."

---

Huo stood at the back of the group, paying attention to his own thoughts more than the debate going on. 

Ingi had left him alone after his last comment, not asking him any more questions or offering any assistance as he walked away. He had finally caught up to the group as they had left Rimegard, still confused and annoyed by what the Viking had said to him. However, he was thankful for the cloak that the man had given him; he had heard stories of Arrowfall, and the plague of undead monsters it had suffered by the hands of one of its own: a vampire named Osgar. 

Who knew what they would do if they knew of his gift?

#5 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:35 AM

Well, things were going… well enough, all things considered. Korvarl had managed to get himself a beer and Elnira a meal in Rimeguard before the group pressed on. Even more fortunate, the path from there to Arrowfall was smooth and surprisingly untroubled at all. Granted, the transition from staying in more urban places and then sleeping at the side of a road was a tad jarring for Silvershield… but he would be damned before he let it show, especially in front of Elnira.

In any case, their arrival at Arrowfall itself was not particularly warm. Korvarl had heard a little about what occurred those many months ago, and he could see it still scarred the peasants around them. He hoped they didn’t get too jumpy around himself and the other non-humans.

Just in case of that, though, he stayed close to Elnira and kept a hand on his axe.

As he set out the map to their ultimate destination, the others began to discuss potential routes. While a few seemed promising - heading northward to civilization before hitting the Edge - there was another option…

"I was born in Mimameidr. Since we are just passing through, the elves should not trouble us unless we start trouble" Allya said after one man - a scarred individual - called the idea of going through the Immortal Wood a fool’s errand. Korvarl nodded in agreement.

“Aye, as much as goin’ further north would help us get more supplies a’fore headin’ into th’ Edge, cuttin’ through Mimameidr is a helluva lot faster.” The dwarf nodded. “As long as no one does anythin’ stupid, we should b’fine.” Silvershield decided, silently daring the others to argue with him.

-----

Percula had, naturally, trailed the group via her… own little methods. Granted, she’d hoped the group would wait in Rimegard a little longer, that way her entrance could be suitably… dramatic. As it turned out, though, they’d gone right on through, and only thanks to a fortuitous note left behind by Caid had she known to follow them further to Arrowfall.

At least, that was the story Saffron decided would explain her appearance best, should she be asked.

In truth, she hadn’t been walking for very long when she entered the city walls, smiling innocently at the naturally suspicious guard. He’d already seen a pretty mixed bunch pass through not long before, and now followed by another elf? In the middle of the night? That did not bode well in a place with such terrible, recent history as Arrowfall.

Not that Perky had any idea what had happened during the plague and all. She was currently focused on finding the inn the others had gone to… which, fortunately, wasn’t too terribly difficult to find. It was the only one with a real modicum of life in this dreary little town.

Frowning slightly, the rather colorfully dressed ‘elf’ brushed herself off as best she could as she stepped into the tavern, quickly noticing the group - and Caiden, especially. Saffron drifted over, though she slowed as she noticed one man in particular standing away from the others, looking unfamiliar with his shoddy cloak. Well, actually he did look a little familiar, from when this whole thing started…

Percula gave him - Huo - a gentle poke on the arm. “Hey, nice cloak.” She remarked. “Where’d you get it?” She asked innocently.

“Aaaaaand why’re you wearing your hood indoors?” Saffron giggled, a teasing tone at the edge of her voice.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#6 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

*Angry Anime Grunting*

• Nova Patron
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

Huo had just finished the spell that would maintain his eyesight when someone spoke to him.

Hey, nice cloak. Where’d you get it?

The Priest started slightly and turned to see what, at first glance appeared to be another elf, though, her aura was remarkable different.

"From a friend." He said briefly, though he was still a bit divided on what Ingi's intentions were.

Aaaaaand why’re you wearing your hood indoors?

Huo thought for a moment before replying "Personal reasons."

It was a stupid answer, but hopefully it would be sufficient.

"I did not see you with the others at the Tavern, or on the boat," the Priest continued "are you a late addition to the party?"

#7 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

"I was born in Mimameidr. Since we are just passing through, the elves should not trouble us unless we start trouble."

"I agree, passing through the Immortal Wood would be a safer path."

“Aye, as much as goin’ further north would help us get more supplies a’fore headin’ into th’ Edge, cuttin’ through Mimameidr is a helluva lot faster. As long as no one does anythin’ stupid, we should b’fine.”

Garandros growled in irritation as control escaped him once again.

"I was hoping we could keep a low profile. Look around you." He gestured around the tavern at the curious eyes watching the group. "We've attracted far too much attention already."

He scratched a scar irritably. Damn things always played up at night.

#8 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

"I was hoping we could keep a low profile. Look around you." Garandros gestured around the tavern at the curious eyes watching the group. "We've attracted far too much attention already."

Korvarl frowned, his thick brows furrowing slightly. “The hell’s wrong with a little attention? The only thing that’s gonna try keepin’ us from gettin’ our prize is whatever’s dwelling in the Edge and down below.” The dwarf pointed out. “Bringin’ attention to our movements’ll only get us more help, if anything.” Silvershield added, planting his hands on his hips.

“Unless, o’course, y’got somethin’ to hide?” He added, raising an eyebrow at the awfully secretive man.

-----

Huo look at Percula with oddly unfocused eyes, which caused her to frown slightly in confusion. What the…?

"From a friend." He said, rather shortly.

Perky shrugged at that answer after a moment, chuckling. “Saaaame.” She said, tugging at her own cloak - one that Caiden had bought for her some time ago. She still needed to pay him back for that… though, for now, she pressed on with her questions.

Huo thought for a moment before replying "Personal reasons."

Saffron blinked, alarm bells going off in her head. In her experience ‘personal reasons’ ranged from being a demonic mage to hiding lycanthropy. Or being infected with demon stuff, in Caid’s case. What was this… weird-eye guy’s reason?

"I did not see you with the others at the Tavern, or on the boat," the Priest continued before she could overwhelm him with more questions, "are you a late addition to the party?"

“You could say that.” Percula grinned. “I’m with Caid, I’ve been following you guys with a bit of his help aaand figured I’d finally introduce myself.” The pixi- ‘elf’ explained.

“...Saaaay, what’s with your eyes?” She finally asked, unable to help herself any longer. The question had been bubbling just beneath the surface as soon as she saw what was off with them, waiting to burst out for the past few seconds.

#9 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

“Bringin’ attention to our movements’ll only get us more help, if anythingUnless, o’course, y’got somethin’ to hide?

Garandros laughed, but it was cold and humourless. "Because alerting everyone to the mass of treasure we'll be carrying home can't backfire at all, can it?" He snorted and stepped back from the table. "I've seen men kill for far less."

----

Elnira hoped the arguing would stop. Right now she wanted nothing more than to curl up in bed with Mr Whiskers. She yawned again, but stopped in surprise at the sight of a slightly strange looking elf talking to Huo. A newcomer to the group? She wandered over, awkwardly hovering with the hope of joining the conversation.

"Hello!"

#10 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

*Angry Anime Grunting*

• Nova Patron
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

The hell’s wrong with a little attention? The only thing that’s gonna try keepin’ us from gettin’ our prize is whatever’s dwelling in the Edge and down below. Bringin’ attention to our movements’ll only get us more help, if anything.

"Depends," Agethar pointed out "I don't know about ye, but I donnae want th' help o' Bandits or a rival clan."

---

"Because alerting everyone to the mass of treasure we'll be carrying home can't backfire at all, can it? I've seen men kill for far less."

"I don't know how much treasure you think that we'll be taking back with us," Malvolio said bluntly "but Agni only asked us to get his clan's sword, not to bring the mountain's entire treasure horde with us. If he did, I think that we would have more dwarves to help us and a ton of carts to carry it back with us. I only plan on taking what I can carry, unlike whatever imagined version of us you have in your mind."

---

You could say that. I’m with Caid, I’ve been following you guys with a bit of his help aaand figured I’d finally introduce myself.

The Priest nodded, simply saying "It's good to have another elf with us."

...Saaaay, what’s with your eyes?

"I am blind, Inquisitive one," Huo said, wondering if this...elf was considered a child by her society "but I have my own way of seeing."

"And what about yourself?" he asked, peering at the elf "You don't seem to be a true e-."

"Hello!"

Huo stopped mid-sentence, and turned to see one of the dwarves standing nearby, and decided not to continue."

"Hello, Small one," he said polietly as he made a small bow "I am Huo Shiye of the East, and this is..."

#11 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Garandros laughed, but it was cold and humourless. "Because alerting everyone to the mass of treasure we'll be carrying home can't backfire at all, can it?" He snorted and stepped back from the table. "I've seen men kill for far less."

"Depends," Agethar pointed out, "I don't know about ye, but I donnae want th' help o' Bandits or a rival clan."

Korvarl sighed, reluctant to admit either had a point. However, before he could continue the argument against the two humans, one of the heavily-armored - and rather rich-looking - Templars stepped forward.

"I don't know how much treasure you think that we'll be taking back with us," Malvolio said bluntly "but Agni only asked us to get his clan's sword, not to bring the mountain's entire treasure horde with us. If he did, I think that we would have more dwarves to help us and a ton of carts to carry it back with us. I only plan on taking what I can carry, unlike whatever imagined version of us you have in your mind."

“Well, o’course yer not carryin’ too much, yer already covered in gold.” Silvershield pointed out, before turning to the other two. “An’ if yer so concerned about gettin’ ambushed on the way back, don’t take the same route we came up.” Korvarl added. “I doubt any bandit worth their silver’s gonna try robbin’ us before we get the treasure, either. So as long as you play it smart, doesn’t matter if we make a bit o’ fuss out here on the way up.”

-----

The Priest nodded, simply saying "It's good to have another elf with us."

Percula grinned. “Glad to know someone thinks so.” She quipped, before asking about his eyes.

"I am blind, inquisitive one," Huo said, wondering if this...elf was considered a child by her society "but I have my own way of seeing."

“...Oh.” Saffron blinked. “...I’ve never met a blind person! That’s… uh, cool!” Perky offered, not entirely certain how someone lived without eyesight. Yeesh, that’s got to be awful...

"And what about yourself?" he asked, peering at the elf "You don't seem to be a true e-."

"Hello!"

Huo stopped mid-sentence as a very short lady - one of the dwarves - materialized beside Percula. The pixie almost melted at the sight of her. She’s so small! ...Well, I mean, right now. Eheh.

Perhaps fortunately, she didn’t realize Huo was so close to realizing she wasn’t actually an elf.

"Hello, Small one," he said politely as he made a small bow "I am Huo Shiye of the East, and this is..."

“Percula, nice to meet you!” The ‘elf’ introduced herself, holding out a hand for shaking. “Who’re you?” She asked, barely able to resist the urge to coo at Elnira. She was so cute!

#12 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

*Angry Anime Grunting*

• Nova Patron
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

An’ if yer so concerned about gettin’ ambushed on the way back, don’t take the same route we came up. I doubt any bandit worth their silver’s gonna try robbin’ us before we get the treasure, either. So as long as you play it smart, doesn’t matter if we make a bit o’ fuss out here on the way up.

"Just offerin' an opinion," Agethar muttered to himself "no need tae git yer beard in a twist."

---

Well, o’course yer not carryin’ too much, yer already covered in gold.

Malvolio grunted annoyedly.

Apparently the dwarf was too drunk to realize that his armor was mostly red, with deepgold and deepsilver trimmings.

---

...Oh...I’ve never met a blind person! That’s… uh, cool!

"That is one way of putting it." Huo said, but Percula was too busy fawning over the dwarf to notice.

#13 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 586 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:23 PM

"Hello, Small one,I am Huo Shiye of the East, and this is..."

“Percula, nice to meet you! Who’re you?”

Elnira smiled at both and shook Percula's extended hand. "I'm Elnira! It's a pleasure to meet you both."

She looked curiously at the 'elf'.

"Have you just joined us? Or maybe you haven't. There are so many people here, it's exhausting trying to remember all the names!" She yawned surreptitiously into the back of her hand.

#14 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,282 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:26 AM

"Just offerin' an opinion," Agethar muttered to himself "no need tae git yer beard in a twist."

Korvarl scowled. “An’ I offered mine, so we’re even.” He pointed out. “If yer stupid when we’re done, you’ll get what’s comin’ for you. If yer not, then you’ll be fine. Simple as that.” Silvershield added for the sake of finality.

-----

Huo said something, but Percula was waaay too busy squeeing inwardly over how cute Elnira was. I want twelve of her! Pleeaaase!

"I'm Elnira! It's a pleasure to meet you both."

“Yeah, same!” Saffron managed without unleashing all of her excitement. Guuuuuh I can’t hold it in forever!

The dwarf looked rather curiously at her. "Have you just joined us? Or maybe you haven't. There are so many people here, it's exhausting trying to remember all the names!" She yawned surreptitiously into the back of her hand.

Perky giggled, both at Elnira’s words and her adorable little yawn. “Well, I sorta just joined. I’m with Caid, and I’ve just been kindaaa… trailing after you guys! Figured you might need some help now you’re entering the wilds and stuff.” She grinned, crouching down to be more even with the little dwarf lady’s height.

“You look kinda tired, though,” she pointed out. “You guys got rooms yet?” Percula asked, her attention finally including Huo, again.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users