• Please log in to reply
939 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

Use this topic to discuss the Games of the Forever: the Uncharted series, starring Nolan North as Nathan Drake (who is basically the Protagonist of the Forever; or at least he would be if that was a thing). This includes all current installments and all previous installments, from the incredibly underappreciated Uncharted: Drake's Fortune to the upcoming and mindblowing Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

If you need a list, here it is:
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (2011)
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (2012)
Uncharted: Eye of Indra motion comic (2009)

Talk about how many times you've played through the game, whether or not you've played through it on Crushing or if you plan to, what trophies you're getting, how wonderfully and amazingly awesome it is and how it's better than everything else, arrange co-op or adversarial online matches, speculate about the upcoming game(s), post news related to the series, and whatnot.

So, anyway, there were originally two separate Uncharted topics for the released games and the upcoming games, but now apparently they're being put together to go along with all the other huge topics about game series in this board.
Here is the old Uncharted topics in case you want to find anything in them. They were put together and now they're a huge mess, but if you dig around, you can probably find whatever it is you're looking for.

And yes, I did just totally gush all over the games in the beginning post. No, I don't care. Yes, they are my favorite things of all time and I mean everything that I said.

As for re-kicking off some Uncharted 2 online discussion, as most of you probably already know, my favorite game type is co-op of any and all descriptions. Objective, Survival, Siege, Gold Rush... I love all of it. And I always play as Nate.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

So wait, the last 'All in one' topic was closed just so we could have a different 'All in one' topic?

I mean, I'm against the whole 'Lump a series in one topic' thing overall. I don't see why there can't be multiple Halo topics, or multiple Uncharted topics. The boards aren't active enough to warrant merging series to avoid clutter. As you pointed out, it seems to just increase clutter and mess.

Perhaps we need an 'Uncharted Online: Uncharted 2 Multiplayer + Uncharted 3 Beta' where we can organise games, talk about the previous night's happenings, and what not. Then there could be a topic for Story Mode discussion and theorising over over the tidbits that are being released by Naughty Dog about the next Uncharted title, whichever it may be. We could talk about our strategies for beating the campaign on crushing, finding all the treasure, boss fights and memorable moments from the story.

I'm not sure what an 'All in one' thread about Uncharted will look like when it has been started as such, but if it's anything like the mess the last topic is in...
*Insert various Do Not Want gifs here*

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#3 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,915 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Posted Image

Yeah I did! Grr, Uncharted Double Platinum all up ins. Feels good man... feels good.

When I finished Hard mode I beat Lazarevic using kind of a cheat I found on Youtube, where you run left from the starting point and hang off the side of a big square platform and shimmy around shooting sap and waiting for it to regrow while Lazarevic's AI sort of wigs out on top of the platform unable to hit you. I tried the same thing this time but he wasn't going for it, so I manned up and I totally did it the real way! And, Wolfy you were right: it was actually really fun! I always thought the Lazarevic bossfight was one of the lowpoints of the game because it was just so long and a little boring, but on Crushing I was so scared I was going to die and have to redo the whole ten minute fight that I somehow unlocked some long-dormant vestige of my former-self's vidjer-gaming skill and I just barely scraped through all the way to the end. I was diving out of the blast radii of grenades with milliseconds to spare, and every time I thought I had his number he'd appear from somewhere I wasn't expecting and send me back on the run and I loved it.

I'm not saying I'm going to start speedrunning Crushing or anything, but there were more than a few moments when I was having a whole lot of fun. I still think that Nate's lowered health on Crushing makes some of the more classic Uncharted moments too hard, like fighting the helicopter on the train or shootin' in the collapsing building, but I can see it being really fun if I possessed the outrageous Ninja skill that a certain lady we're all familiar with does.

The only thing that I really didn't like is that my cautious, old-lady-driver approach to the game revealed some spots in the game where Naughty Dog employed the awful gameplay device of infinitely-respawning enemies. The big open area with the machine gun turret in the village, and right near the end in the huge chamber where the Guardians are fighting the soldiers are the two I found. I went down into the little house on the right of the village area and was just mowing down an infinite stream of guys heading up towards the turret, and in Shambala I'd killed all the Guardians but the soldiers kept pouring through that door on the right until I hit the trigger point for the last batch of Guardians to come through the top entrance. It turns out you have to get right down into the middle of that room; I'd run all the way around that place except right in the middle.

But, anyway, I've finally got that Platinum, so I'm now totally ready for Uncharted 3 to blow my mind's face off. On Normal difficulty ;)

#4 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

I mean, I'm against the whole 'Lump a series in one topic' thing overall. I don't see why there can't be multiple Halo topics, or multiple Uncharted topics. The boards aren't active enough to warrant merging series to avoid clutter. As you pointed out, it seems to just increase clutter and mess.

I'm still talking to Zero about it right now.

Yeah I did! Grr, Uncharted Double Platinum all up ins. Feels good man... feels good.

I'm not saying I'm going to start speedrunning Crushing or anything, but there were more than a few moments when I was having a whole lot of fun. I still think that Nate's lowered health on Crushing makes some of the more classic Uncharted moments too hard, like fighting the helicopter on the train or shootin' in the collapsing building, but I can see it being really fun if I possessed the outrageous Ninja skill that a certain lady we're all familiar with does.

Awesome! Congrats, Occy! :D I told you it'd be fun. :P

You flatter me. :blush: I don't have outrageous ninja skill so much as know the whole game by heart so I know where everyone is coming from and when they'll be coming and all that. It's a big advantage. :P When Uncharted 3 hits and I play through it on Hard and then Crushing I'm sure I'll get my butt handed to me quite a few times before I ever get the hang of it.

Especially whenever you have to fight that big guy on the plane... he'll probably beat me into a pulp. But I know it'll be ridiculously fun regardless, so I'm crazy excited to give it a shot. :P I actually wish you could play on Crushing in the first place instead of having to unlock it. Then maybe I wouldn't be able to play through the game so quickly that I regret whipping through it so fast and using up all the awesome story.

And speaking of Lazarevic, Naughty Dog actually heard about the glitch that you used the first time and fixed it in one of the patches, they said, which is probably why it didn't work the second time. But I'm glad it didn't so you could realize how much awesome fun it is to fight him normally. I like to just randomly do it sometimes because I find it so weirdly entertaining. :P

So I guess the Uncharted 3 online beta starts in about 11 days. I had promised myself I would avoid Uncharted 3 multiplayer like the plague until I had finished the story, but the fact that they'll have both a beta and early multiplayer access is making that completely impossible.

Plus I can't wait to access the character customizer, if nothing else. I have plans for many custom Nate skins. I just hope they give me the options... :P That and I'm dying to play some of the co-op and get a feel for the gameplay, the new guns, the levels, etc. Maybe it'll help me not do too awful when the game is finally released.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#5 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,915 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

I've got my code for the Uncharted 3 beta right in front of me, but it seems like I can't use it until the beta actually begins. Either that or I have to make a European PSN account. I got the code with my copy of inFamous 2 that I bought from a UK store. Doesn't seem right that I can only start downloading the beta after it starts, though.

Wolfy, how are you getting in on the beta? Did you get inFamous 2 or are your inside contacts at Naughty Dog sneaking you a code :P Or is there some other way of getting access I'm not aware of?

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

Wolfy, how are you getting in on the beta? Did you get inFamous 2 or are your inside contacts at Naughty Dog sneaking you a code :P Or is there some other way of getting access I'm not aware of?

You can also get in the beta if you just have a PlayStation Plus subscription on June 28th, according to all the sources that used to read about the beta. That's what I'm doing. I actually bought two months of PSPlus subscription time the day before the Welcome Back thing gave everyone 30 free days, so I guess I have it for those two months plus the 60 free days I got on Welcome Back day, since even though I had just gotten it the day before, they promised to give PSPlus subscribers 60 free days instead of just 30.

And if that doesn't get me into the beta, then I'll fuss at Arne about it! :P

I actually didn't mean to get all that extra PSPlus time, I just wanted to make absolutely sure that I'd get into the beta. Oh well, maybe at some point they'll give away some free stuff or exclusive Uncharted DLC that I actually care about.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,915 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

You can also get in the beta if you just have a PlayStation Plus subscription on June 28th, according to all the sources that used to read about the beta.

Ooooh right, I'm pretty sure I knew about that at some point. I can't remember when I activated my free Playstation Plus stuff. If I've got enough Plus time to get me through to the regular-people starting date for the beta I might be able to give my inFamous 2 code away to someone here. So, if anyone needs one let me know, although I can't imagine anyone will because you can still get your free PSPlus right now and it'll take you way past July 5th (that's when it starts for regular folks, right?)

#8 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

July 5th (that's when it starts for regular folks, right?)

July 4th. :P But yeah.

And it ends July 13th. So only crazy people wouldn't activate their PSPlus subscription before June 28th. People who don't get early access to the beta only get like 5 days to play it, whereas people who have early access have about 18 days.

Don't mind me if I spend those 18 days playing the beta like an addict. I might take time off to watch some fireworks on July 4th and pretend they're celebrating the Uncharted 3 beta, though. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#9 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

You flatter me. :blush: I don't have outrageous ninja skill so much as know the whole game by heart so I know where everyone is coming from and when they'll be coming and all that. It's a big advantage. :P When Uncharted 3 hits and I play through it on Hard and then Crushing I'm sure I'll get my butt handed to me quite a few times before I ever get the hang of it.

Oh yeah, Crushing Lazarevic. He was tough. It took me like six tries to beat him, since I kept trying to use a strategy where if my health's low I just punch Lazarevic and he throws you across the map. :P But, I kept making the mistake of trying to use it as a lifeline when my health was really low, and Lazerivic would just pick me up and snap my neck like a twig without giving me a chance to fight. ._. Then after a few times, I realized it didn't worked, and I tried something else. :P

After that, it only took me six times to beat him. And it's like everything Occy said, it's absolutely thrilling. When I was doing good, I'd be on the edge of my seat, biting my lip, trying so desperately hard not to mess up and start over. And when I did finally beat him, I felt awesome. It was so satisfying, and I glided through the remainder of the final part on a high from defeating Lazarevic. :P

Especially whenever you have to fight that big guy on the plane... he'll probably beat me into a pulp. But I know it'll be ridiculously fun regardless, so I'm crazy excited to give it a shot. :P

I think he's supposed to beat the tar out of ya on that part. :P I mean, he kicks Nate out of the plane! I don't know if he's gonna go away, thinking Nate fell off, or if you're gonna have to beat him there, or what. But it'll be awesome. :D

Also, I'm a little annoyed by the time frame for the Beta. Since I'm going away to visit some relatives for the Fourth of July, and I don't know how long I'm gonna be away. :/ I'm just afraid I'm gonna miss a good chunk of the beta, which makes me sad. :(

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#10 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

Darn it, I really need to get that platinum... Grats, Ocelot. :P

I signed up for my free PS Plus already, and Maegan roped me into paying for like 3 months for her account too early (before we realized the free month would probably cover the beta requirements). We even had to contact Sony support because it charged my credit card twice. <_<

So yeah, hopefully we'll both be in the full beta. :D

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#11 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,915 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

Darn it, I really need to get that platinum... Grats, Ocelot. :P

Aw shucks you guys :blush:

Oh yeah, Crushing Lazarevic. He was tough. It took me like six tries to beat him, since I kept trying to use a strategy where if my health's low I just punch Lazarevic and he throws you across the map. :P

You can do that? Oh man, I just stay weeeell away from him at all times, I never thought to get up close.

I think he's supposed to beat the tar out of ya on that part. :P I mean, he kicks Nate out of the plane! I don't know if he's gonna go away, thinking Nate fell off, or if you're gonna have to beat him there, or what. But it'll be awesome. :D

In my imagination Nate beats him and throws him out of the plane, but then gets thrown out himself by turbulence or something. If the guy had actually thrown him out you'd think you'd see him standing on the ramp and gloating as Nate's panicking and grabbing for the cargo net. It'd be awesome if Nate throws the guy out, then falls out and finds him there, hanging onto the net and waiting for him and then you have to have a totally sweet hanging-onto-the-net fight, and maybe there's a gun hanging out there and you both have to climb for it while punching and kicking at eachother. On the one hand I'm glad that Naughty Dog isn't showing off that bit to us losers because I don't want it spoiled for me, but at the same time I absolutely neeeeed it spoiled for me because it looks like the coolest thing ever.

#12 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

You can do that? Oh man, I just stay weeeell away from him at all times, I never thought to get up close.

Really? I worked that thing into my tactic. :P If you have a decent amount of health left (as in if you're screen isn't already totally black and white with Nate's heart pounding really loud), Lazarevic will grab Nate by the throat and you have to beat on his ugly bald head or else he'll just choke Nate to death and then snap his neck. At certain points on the map, Lazarevic will throw Nate really far (and taunt him afterwards, like, "Foolish, weak little man!"). If you're not at one of those specific points where he'll throw you/Nate, though, he'll just drop Nate back on his feet.

If you don't have enough health though, like Harry said, he'll just snap Nate's neck. It's terrible, so I never let it happen. :ninja: Or at least I try not to. It's hard to do if you lose sight of him and he suddenly rounds a corner and shotguns you in the face, though.

In my imagination Nate beats him and throws him out of the plane, but then gets thrown out himself by turbulence or something. If the guy had actually thrown him out you'd think you'd see him standing on the ramp and gloating as Nate's panicking and grabbing for the cargo net. It'd be awesome if Nate throws the guy out, then falls out and finds him there, hanging onto the net and waiting for him and then you have to have a totally sweet hanging-onto-the-net fight, and maybe there's a gun hanging out there and you both have to climb for it while punching and kicking at eachother. On the one hand I'm glad that Naughty Dog isn't showing off that bit to us losers because I don't want it spoiled for me, but at the same time I absolutely neeeeed it spoiled for me because it looks like the coolest thing ever.

:lol:

You know, Occy, sometimes I don't think you realize just how much I totally love (and agree with) your posts. Especially about Uncharted. :P

EDIT: Speaking of the trailer, have any of you guys watched it today?

I've watched it sooo many times now. And I fangirl every time. Because... just... OH WOW. :wub:

It's crazy how much I totally need this game.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#13 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

EDIT: Speaking of the trailer, have any of you guys watched it today?

I downloaded the trailer onto my Playstation (It's Free on the Playstation Store), so I can watch it on the big screen whenever I want.

Posted Image

#14 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:34 AM

The thing is, I think Nate died six-seven times when I first encountered Lazarevic. I'm pretty sure I was playing on easy. After that, I haven't lost to him a single time. I've played the campaign on crushing a dozen times now, and Lazarevic is no problem at all. :unsure: Sometimes I even charge towards him for some fisticuffs just for teh lulz.

#15 Fate

Fate

• Nova Member
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

Also, I'm a little annoyed by the time frame for the Beta. Since I'm going away to visit some relatives for the Fourth of July, and I don't know how long I'm gonna be away. :/ I'm just afraid I'm gonna miss a good chunk of the beta, which makes me sad. :(

I'm gonna be away from around the 26th to the 8th or so. It really sucks. I'm tempted to just haul my PS3 with me.

I downloaded the trailer onto my Playstation (It's Free on the Playstation Store), so I can watch it on the big screen whenever I want.

Yeah, me too. Man, I fangi-er... manly pump my fist every time I watch it. I'm gonna preorder the collectors edition, of course. I just gotta decide which bonus to go with.

Until this comes out though, I am desperately going to try and win platinum trophies for both Drakes Fortune and Among Thieves. Not because I really give a crap about trophies, but because these games are the best and I know I'm replaying them, so why not get the best you can get on the best you can get? The first time I went through them I hardly even tried to look for the treasures, just because I was engrossed in the story. Now I'm gonna go back and just go crazy.

I didn't even know I was gonna love these games. I mean, I've always loved and played every Naughty Dog game before Uncharted, but I just didn't know I'd love Uncharted so much. I bought the PS3 because I felt stupid for missing out on games like MGS4 and LA Noire was just coming out.
And then I bought Uncharted, and it was like my TV was screaming "THIS IS WHAT GAMES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, FOOLISH HUMAN."

#16 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

Here are some random observations after rewatching the trailer dozens of times...

There are lots of differences between the original "Introducing Katherine Marlowe" trailer and the E3 trailer. Not just graphical improvements, but a few other things that I randomly saw...

Posted Image
Posted Image
New and old, respectively.

The random thug in the hat was replaced by Evil Robin Atkin Downes - and look at all the pretty shading and new light sources and general improvement in graphics! So beautiful. Also her umbrella-knife thingy looks a little different...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Nate's hair looks a lot neater. It's more finely trimmed at the neck and all over, really. Also they upped the size of the front of it to make it more noticeable, like it was in the previous two Uncharted games. Frankly I'm glad, because I like his hair style. I don't want it to start being less noticeable. :P Plus his stubble looks thicker.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Again: new on top and old on the bottom.

I dunno about you guys, but I admire at Nathan Drake almost all the time have looked really closely at Nate's features and stuff, and I thought he looked a little weird in the original Katherine Marlowe trailer. His jaw was a lot bigger/squarer, his eyebrows and lips were thinner, his hair didn't look quite the same or as distinctive, his eyes weren't as slim, etc., etc.

I thought I was just being nitpicky until I saw lots of other people fussing about the changes (specifically a lot of people were saying they needed to "tighten up his face," which I couldn't disagree with). I guess Naughty Dog saw them, 'cause they seem to have modified (improved :P ) him slightly. He still doesn't look like he did in Uncharted 2, but I'm glad they made a few things look more like they used to instead of changing him so much. His jaw still looks different, but he changes with each game, so I'm used to it.

Another comparison, if you're interested. And here is another one that shows a few differences, some of which are probably just from the improved lighting so you can actually see him better. Plus those wrinkles coming down from his nose aren't nearly as dark/noticeable, though.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#17 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

Another comparison, if you're interested. And here is another one that shows a few differences, some of which are probably just from the improved lighting so you can actually see him better. Plus those wrinkles coming down from his nose aren't nearly as dark/noticeable, though.

These last ones are actually the best for seeing the differences, IMO.

It's nothing huge, but you can tell that they changed his hair, and if you look closely, you can see where they slimmed his jawline to make it more angular. It did look odd from certain angles before. Almost swollen. Glad they fixed that.

They also improved the lighting on the whole cutscene, and they seem to have added more detail to the textures. I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed in the graphics when I first saw this particular cutscene. It wasn't nearly as impressive as the desert one, and didn't even look quite as good as UC2 to me. I don't know if it was just a poor quality version of the video or what, but it looks much better now, especially with the improved lighting.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#18 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:32 AM

Sorry I had to bail on you, Harry. Parental aggro is usually never a problem, but when it's tea and Farscape time, it's tea and Farscape time...

But... Holy crap, we failed big time at Nepal! :o I have no idea what happened! Maybe it's because I seriously cannot play as Nate! Or maybe it's because we were playing on hard. Wolfy and I have come to the conclution that we play MUCH better on Crushing, odd as though it may seem...

#19 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:33 AM

Yeah, those last links have the biggest differences. :P But yeah, it seems they really did improve Drake a lot, and I'm much more comfortable with how he looks now.

And speaking of changes, does Elena's whole head seem a little slimmer than the previous games? Yeah, just compare my avatar to my sig pic. :P Elena seems to have just gotten thinner overall. And of course her hair changes with each one, and now it's pure blond with no darker highlights like the previous games. Anyone else notice that?

Edited by Harry Monster, 19 June 2011 - 02:33 AM.

#20 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

If anyone's up for some Uncharted, I'll be online (I have been all morning, but hey :P). Now that I'm done with exams, I feel like shooting some generic minions in co-op. :D

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Uncharted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users