Photo

Star Wars: It's Last Jedi Week!

• Please log in to reply
1905 replies to this topic

Poll: REMAKES!

When JJ remakes Return of the Jedi, who will play Han Solo's Force ghost at the end?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1861 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,849 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

Back to good ol' JJ "The J's Stand for Lens Flare" Abrams.

#1862 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

Oh I don't agree with that at all. I mean, Rogue One was a bit bleh, but The Force Awakens felt Star-Wars-ier than anything since the original trilogy to me. Exciting space adventures with fun action and characters I actually like; I went into that movie thinking I was too old to really care about any of this Star Wars business any more, and I walked out a changed man.

Of course it felt more like Star Wars - there was a Sith with a helmet, a Death Star, an Empire, a mysterious evil master, X-Wings, and Han Solo. It took the franchise back to basics at the expense of literally everything that happened in the original trilogy. Sure, Luke and Leia and Han are older now and they defeated the Empire and Vader and the Death Star and the Jedi returned but now there's a new Empire and also the Sith are back and also they built a new planet destroyer and also the Jedi are all dead again. I don't know, it was fun. I like the new characters and I fully expect the rest of the new movies to expand on the first and get away from the basic formula, but TFA felt like a Star Wars fan trying to make a Star War from a recipe book.

Like obviously this is all a moot point because Lucas is done for good. TFA was better than I ever expected it to be but it still felt kind of voiceless. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Oscar Isaac were all great casting decisions who made it worthwhile, but the story itself is totally disposable.

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif

#1863 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

Rebels is the Star Wars we need and deserve right now even though no one here will admit it.

As far as choices go, going with someone who's actually done this before is a safe choice, maybe not the *best* choice, but one I can still put money on.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#1864 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,624 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

Of course it felt more like Star Wars - there was a Sith with a helmet, a Death Star, an Empire, a mysterious evil master, X-Wings, and Han Solo.

I think the Prequels themselves taught us that it takes more than superficial references and familiar stuff to feel like a Star War. Those movies have all those things, or equivalents thereof, and it didn't help them. JJ gave TFA such a wonderful sense of rollicking excitement and a breathless pace, well-written characters that I liked enough to want to know their stories, even if that story was, ultimately, "they blow up another Death Star". I didn't love TFA because it had X-Wings and I recognise X-Wings, I loved it because it was a great space adventure movie, which just so happens to be why I liked Star Wars in the first place.

So, yeah, if you couldn't guess, I'm pretty happy about JJ directing Episode IX :P

#1865 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

I don't know, I think the prequels took a lot of risks with the unknown. Sure, there were Jedi and Sith, R2 and 3PO, Yoda, Anakin and Obi-Wan, Tattooine, etc., but Lucas also made an earnest effort to expand the universe as well. Obviously, a lot of that stuff was...not very good, but I think that's largely because no one was there to question him. Besides the more diverse cast, which I'm all about, I don't think TFA added much. Obviously I expect the next two films to build on that though.

TBH it doesn't matter who directs the movie because it's the franchise producer aka Disney who gets to call the shots, and that's the actual problem I have. The movie is going to look and feel the same no matter who directs it, because the director doesn't get a voice.

#1866 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

Rebels is the Star Wars we need and deserve right now even though no one here will admit it.

Z7apJGL.gif

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#1867 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

Z7apJGL.gif

C'mon Thrawnie, cut Rebels a break.

At least it doesn't have the dialogue of the prequels. 

#1868 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,624 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

TBH it doesn't matter who directs the movie because it's the franchise producer aka Disney who gets to call the shots, and that's the actual problem I have. The movie is going to look and feel the same no matter who directs it, because the director doesn't get a voice.

Yeah, I understand the worry, but people have been saying this about the Marvel movies for years, too, and I still don't really see it. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies feel distinct from anything else, Iron Man 3 felt like a Shane Black movie, the Joss Whedon ones are very obviously Joss Whedon ones, the Louis Leterrier one was exactly as bad as every other Louis Leterrier movie, Cap 1 was classic Joe Johnston, the Russo Brothers are better than everyone else. Granted, when they hire boring no-name directors with no discernible style of their own, they end up making those very paint-by-numbers Marvel Movies™, but I've yet to see a director with a distinct voice get chewed up by the machine (well, except for Edgar Wright's original Ant-Man, obviously :P).

We've only seen two Disney Star Warses so far, and one was a wonderful movie from a great director (TFA showed all the same space adventure whimsy as JJ's first Star Trek movie), and the other was a pretty bland one by the unremarkable director of... Monsters (which is such a terrible movie!). I at least want to see Rian Johnson's Episode VIII before passing judgment on this whole enterprise. He's been very vocal about how Big Disney let him make exactly the movie he wanted to.

#1869 Spark

Spark

• Nova Patron
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

And it's noticeable you keep referring to one GIF to pass judgement, which I feel is unfair. That's like trying shoving Ewok GIFs down someone's throat anytime they try to say 'ROTJ is actually a good movie'

EDIT: I guess I'll put this here too. It'll get seen more.

PXwSeJy.png

#1870 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

And it's noticeable you keep referring to one GIF to pass judgement, which I feel is unfair. That's like trying shoving Ewok GIFs down someone's throat anytime they try to say 'ROTJ is actually a good movie'

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#1871 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

If every porkchop were perfect . . .

• Nova Patron
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

Not even gonna watch that, but uhh . . .

you're wrong

Rebels is incredible and better than Clone Wars in pretty much every single way, sooooooooooo

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

heroes_and_villains_header___small_by_ra

Click the picture to check out Reaperman290's new roleplay, Heroes & Villains!

no I'm not just advertising it because it's a spin-off of my own roleplay why would you think that

#1872 Spark

Spark

• Nova Patron
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:32 AM

Did you even watch the vid though, or did you just yank it from YT because of the title? Really got to try better than that. CVH usually goes into length about the specific reasons he holds the opinion, and presents it in a way that the viewer is able to form their own, instead of adhere to his line of thinking.

If you'd watched the vid, despite his personal opinions, he admits that his biggest issue with Rebels it doesn't go far enough.

The rest of the criticisms he levels at it are sins that Avatar: The Last Airbender was guilty of. ATLA is now remembered as one of the greatest western animation shows of all time, a pioneer that is hailed responsible for the current Renaissance in American animation that has led to the likes of Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Bojack Horseman, and Rick and Morty. And you know what? One of the biggest criticisms that can be levied at ATLA is... It's a giant Star Wars homage. How about that? Rebels has much of ATLA's alumni, so it'd make sense that it would share DNA.

There's one thing I vehemently disagree with a blazing passion about in the video. Lack of philosophical depth is beyond untrue.

PXwSeJy.png

#1873 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

The rest of the criticisms he levels at it are sins that Avatar: The Last Airbender was guilty of. ATLA is now remembered as one of the greatest western animation shows of all time, a pioneer that is hailed responsible for the current Renaissance in American animation that has led to the likes of Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Bojack Horseman, and Rick and Morty. And you know what? One of the biggest criticisms that can be levied at ATLA is... It's a giant Star Wars homage. How about that? Rebels has much of ATLA's alumni, so it'd make sense that it would share DNA.

Honestly, the only comparisons I can draw between Star Wars and ATLA is the Season 2 finale, and the fact that Mark Hamill was in the show.

Just out of curiosity, by Renaissance, do you mean that you can make cartoons that are actually good? I.e. making shows that are aimed at a younger audience, but making them smart enough that they are appealing to a more adult audience? If so, then I totally agree with that statement, and I wish that more cartoons did this.

#1874 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Did you even watch the vid though, or did you just yank it from YT because of the title? Really got to try better than that. CVH usually goes into length about the specific reasons he holds the opinion, and presents it in a way that the viewer is able to form their own, instead of adhere to his line of thinking.

If you'd watched the vid, despite his personal opinions, he admits that his biggest issue with Rebels it doesn't go far enough.

I did watch it. I actually don't agree with everything in it, mainly the gushing over Clown Wars, but everything else lines up with my own thoughts from my attempts to watch Rebels.

It's fantastic that you enjoy it. Doesn't make it any less Star Wars: Kids Meal Edition.

UBQLqv7.png

#1875 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, I understand the worry, but people have been saying this about the Marvel movies for years, too, and I still don't really see it. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies feel distinct from anything else, Iron Man 3 felt like a Shane Black movie, the Joss Whedon ones are very obviously Joss Whedon ones, the Louis Leterrier one was exactly as bad as every other Louis Leterrier movie, Cap 1 was classic Joe Johnston, the Russo Brothers are better than everyone else. Granted, when they hire boring no-name directors with no discernible style of their own, they end up making those very paint-by-numbers Marvel Movies™, but I've yet to see a director with a distinct voice get chewed up by the machine (well, except for Edgar Wright's original Ant-Man, obviously :P).

Eh, I agree that Guardians has a unique feel, and that the Russo Brothers' films are recognizable because they're actually good, and the Whedon ones are recognizable because the dialogue is so bad and the female characters are...typical Whedon fantasies, but aside from that I don't see a lot of variation. Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with a lot of the directors...and I don't really like the Marvel films at all to begin with. 

But totally, I'm willing to give Episode VIII a chance and see if it actually builds on the existing content or if they just continue to replicate the story beats from the original trilogy. I certainly want it to be good and different.

#1876 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,624 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

iTjLslB.jpg

INCOMING EMPIRE STRIKES BACK REMAKE TRAILER, EVERYONE GET HYPE!

(And then sustain that hype for two weeks and a bit. Call it three, really.)

#1877 Florent

Florent

Poe Dayumeron

• Nova Patron
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

I have no things to say about Rebels. I watch it, 60% is pretty much throwaway kids stuff, another portion is genuinely good Star Wars stuff. I'd rather watch any season of Rebels over sitting through Rogue One.

As to the studio meddling, if it were any other Disney produced movie I'd agree. Literally every Marvel movie seems like it's made by the same team (which like, they kinda are), but the new SW have proven to be pretty unique so far. I guess we can't really say for sure until TLJ comes out, because R1 could just be a fluke, but I'd say there is definitely a sense of authorship (that's a word right) in the Disney Star Wars movies. Even if every movie from here on out is trash, there will always be Harmy's versions of the originals to watch. Clown Raws will always be around if you like that too. Rebels is ending soon so whether you like it or hate it, it will all be over soon. We're all going to die eventually.

Wait what happened... Oh yeah, I talked about Star Wars on the internet and ended up looking forward to the sweet embrace of death. Standard operating procedure tbh. I'mma watch the movies, see the show, maybe read one or two of the silly tie in novels, and try not to get too mad about this stuff. In the end we're all going to go see TLJ. Disney will end up with the money of every single person reading this comment right now. There is nothing we can do about it. We'll all be rotting in the ground soon anyways.

Wait crap it happened again. I'm donezo.

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

#1878 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

I have no things to say about Rebels. I watch it, 60% is pretty much throwaway kids stuff, another portion is genuinely good Star Wars stuff. I'd rather watch any season of Rebels over sitting through Rogue One.

I honestly liked Rouge One a lot the first time I saw it. Not as much as TFA but I still liked it.

Though, when I watched it a second time, you could really tell how emotionless it was. It's about 90% people giving Sophie Turner a run for her money, and 10% was cool Star Wars stuff.

But yeah, Rebels is much better, even though they'll probably kill off Thrawn because nothing is sacred these days. :P

#1879 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,624 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:17 AM

POPULAR

Hey speaking of the silly tie-in novels, I've been listening to this one, and I think it's pretty neat:

9781524796310.jpg

It feels very much like a '70s pulp sci fi paperback that just so happens to be tied in to those Star Wars, which I suppose is basically what Star Wars started as anyway. Phasma was a warrior on a real craphole of a planet until General Hux's Dad crash landed there one day, and they go on a journey through a series of fun sci fi tropes.

Did you know that General Hux's first name is Armitage, by the way? Oh Star Wars...

EDIT - Spoilers for the dumb book about dumb Phasma (that is actually perfectly enjoyable, but I'm being mean here), but this might be the best example of "Everything in Star Wars is related to everything else" since "Darth Vader built C-3PO": Phasma's armour is made out of this:

1tFjhhS.jpg

Or at least one like it. General Hux's Dad flew around in a Naboo cruiser that Palpatine had used back in the day, crashed it on Phasma's planet, then later on Phasma came back, cut some of the metal off and used a 3D printer/scanner to make a replica of her regular white Stormtrooper armour. I feel like the author sat down and thought "Phasma chrome. What else chrome? That one ship from Episode 1 chrome. Phasma wears chrome ship."

But, yeah, not a bad book at all. It makes a pretty good case for why Phasma betrayed the First Order so easily in TFA, at least: she doesn't care about anyone but herself and will turn on anyone at any moment if it helps her survive. No idea whether she'll ever become more of a thing in the movies, but I still think she's neato.

Now I'm going to listen to that new Timothy Zahn Thrawn book, because you get two choices when you cash in one of those free Audible trials and, what am I going to do, listen to real books for actual adults? Pshaw.

#1880 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,624 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

EVERYONE SHUT UP!

DLvAUShUIAASVox.jpg

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users