• Please log in to reply
700 replies to this topic

#41 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,114 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (Dragon @ Jul 24 2009, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That might work, but I still think you get a better result with a stage 1 clone trooper helmet, as it already has a visor and fin in the center of the helmet.

Why not make it all by your own?

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#42 ObscuryT

ObscuryT

I'm French, so don't dare say bad about us.

• Nova Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hey Scorp, MC_DOS inspired me to also photoshop your armor, here is the result
I basically just
-recolor it
-removed the hayabusa like shoudler pad things and made them into one plate.
-removed those things that go up to the back/sides of the head
-removed the top of the assault rifle and the barrels coming out and replaced it with some sort of blazer gun
-i made the visor slightly more open.
(i left those strange lines there since it make some sort of cool looking border.)(and about halo i think your renovated mark V chief looks indescribably awesome.)

Will you ever release some art on Jade to know what her armor looks like?
There thats the only question i could make.

Edited by Death, 25 July 2009 - 10:09 PM.

You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
You dig.

Posted Image

#43 The Holy Tuna

The Holy Tuna

Gunnery Sergent Blackwing, ready for action.

• Nova Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Volen Metalic @ Jul 24 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not make it all by your own?

I did, and I lost it. sad.gif Why am I destined to fail at everything I do!?
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for I have a shotgun, and they don't.

#44 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

One day we'll be nostalgic for disaster

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

I'm pretty good, man. Making music, hanging out with my girlfriend, writing stuff... that sort of thing. I don't really have any friends anymore (other than you guys, of course) but I don't really mind - they were kind of all dicks anyways. XD

I assume Werewolf has told you about Secret Project A. If not, please head to The Watchtower and find the Joint Project - it has all of the details inside. I had a few questions I needed answered before I could start on my contribution to the project, so here you go:

1) Does old music from today still exist in some form in Nova Refuge? I can only imagine it does, to some degree, with the amount of computers that I assume would be brought with the survivors, but it's an important question nonetheless.
a) Extending this question, would old musical genres still exist? Alternative, punk, rock, hip-hop, all that kind of
thing?
b ) I know you guys don't really listen to any of the genres I listed, but, assuming you know the basic band form, would
music still stick to the whole "lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bassist (one of the three is vocalist), drummer" idea, or
would the majority of the music be generated with a computer?

2) What would music be recorded ONTO, exactly? CDs, digital downloads to wireless music devices, or something I can't even concieve of in my painkiller-addled and sleepless state? Would CD booklets and case liners still come with the "CD" in some physical form, or would it be entirely digital? Would it even exist?

3) Would there be any famous talk shows in Nova Refuge?
a) In Victory, specifically?
b ) Any random details you could throw at me (names?)? (Also, could we get RID OF the shades.gif smilie? It's really problematic when making lists. >_> )

4) As I am poor (seriously, I am - I swear, I would own Warrior Born and G4M3 if my family had any money at all, but, alas... we don't. Sorry, mates - I'll purchase them as soon as possible) I need to know one or two things about the Ultimate War that I ASSUME begins in Warrior Born: for example, WHERE, specifically, does the war take place? If in multiple places, where most frequently?
a) Would normal people have to worry about being attacked every day, like London and Berlin and the air raid sirens in World War II, or are citizens relatively safe?
i) If they DO have to worry, in what countries and in what demographics of people is this common?

5) How does the education system work? American style (grades 1-12), or British (years with the GCSE kind of idea)? Improved from today, in terms of content and relativity to the real world (learning to do taxes instead of learning logarithms, for example), or no? In college, does one learn the general idea of the major first, then specialize from there (as I've never been in college, I don't know if that's the way it works today XD (Soon enough, though, BWAHAHAHA!))?
a) When does one graduate from highschool?

6) Legal ages for...
a) drinking?
b ) working full time and part time?
c) driving?
d) legal adulthood?

I know the questions are a bit obscure for a sci-fi universe, but it would be really helpful if you could get back to me.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<({[RAGE.wit]})>-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~<({[If there's one thing I know in this world, it's that we are Beggars all]})>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
{Zapman: Transferred - UNDER REVISION}-~-~-~-~{Gavin Nequam and the Hall of Prophecy - UNDER REVISION}
{Vagabond - IN PROGRESS}-~-~-~-~{Kingdom Hearts: In The Dark - ON INDEFINATE HIATUS}
{12-8-2007 - COMPLETE}-~-~-~-~-{Legend of the Five: Rise of the Small - IN PROGRESS}

#45 ObscuryT

ObscuryT

I'm French, so don't dare say bad about us.

• Nova Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (Death @ Jul 24 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I basically just
-removed the top of the assault rifle and the barrels coming out and replaced it with some sort of blazer gun
(i left those strange lines there since it make some sort of cool looking border.)(and about halo i think your renovated mark V chief looks indescribably awesome.)

Here's a question i just remembered, If Nova Refuge ever becomes a game it will need zombies, what would they be (i'm just curious as to what it would be)

EDIT: d'oh! i hit reply instead of edit mad.gif

EDIT: Here's some more questions i thought of:
Did the humans bring any animals from earth to terra nova or did they leave them behind?
Is there any illegal drugs/objects that are smuggled(like cardamine in freelancer) and if there is what is it called?

Edited by Death, 03 August 2009 - 01:51 AM.

You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
You dig.

Posted Image

#46 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,114 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:38 AM

Osolis: Stop talking rude things... did you gived yourself a "Warning"? smile.gif

About a question 4), a war took place everywhere, in entire Human Territory. Unlike WW1 or WW2, in space you could nearly attack everywhere you want, in WWs you cant. A greater battles will took a place on a important planets or systems like shipyards, bases, crucial points and major planets.

a) This depends on a general and his faction and on his strategy. If for example a small fleet of Xarkonian ships with a destroyer as a flagship, a general could bombard a Victorian cities on planet, but he could do it repeately, without stoping until a city is destroyed or a fleet will be low on ammo. But if you mean that for example a Xarkon will every day send a strike fleet and bombard a planet, its not effective, a better will be a 1st mentioned strategy.

shades.gif This also depends on a enemy faction, but I think that on Victorian and Yavakarese planets, because Xarkon and Zygbar seems cruel to do such a thing. A other part of the question I dont understand very well.

#47 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Death @ Jul 25 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a question i just remembered, If Nova Refuge ever becomes a game it will need zombies, what would they be (i'm just curious as to what it would be)

EDIT: d'oh! i hit reply instead of edit mad.gif

I beleive scorp does not support all games having zombies, so they would probably be nonexistant.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#48 The Holy Tuna

The Holy Tuna

• Nova Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Sniper-Serpent @ Jul 27 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I beleive scorp does not support all games having zombies, so they would probably be nonexistant.

No zombie mode! This can't be. The game will need some sort of zombie mode, like a Skrakkii killing mode.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for I have a shotgun, and they don't.

#49 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

One day we'll be nostalgic for disaster

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Dragon @ Jul 28 2009, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No zombie mode! This can't be. The game will need some sort of zombie mode, like a Skrakkii killing mode.

For the most part, Scorp hates zombies. Case closed.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<({[RAGE.wit]})>-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~<({[If there's one thing I know in this world, it's that we are Beggars all]})>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
{Zapman: Transferred - UNDER REVISION}-~-~-~-~{Gavin Nequam and the Hall of Prophecy - UNDER REVISION}
{Vagabond - IN PROGRESS}-~-~-~-~{Kingdom Hearts: In The Dark - ON INDEFINATE HIATUS}
{12-8-2007 - COMPLETE}-~-~-~-~-{Legend of the Five: Rise of the Small - IN PROGRESS}

#50 The Holy Tuna

The Holy Tuna

• Nova Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Osolis Mantis @ Jul 29 2009, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the most part, Scorp hates zombies. Case closed.

OK, I get the idea. No zombies.

EDIT: I forgot my questions. Sorry about this Scorp, more ones you haven't thought about.

1. What would a blazer HPG weapon sound like when fired?
2. What would a Starfire weapon sound like when fired?
3. What would a StarTalon sound like when activated? Would it sound like a Lightsaber?
4. What is 100 Xarkonian Crowns and 100 Victorian credits equal to in USD or GBP (dollars of pounds)?

#51 Maleus D

Maleus D

We are always watching...

• 110 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:38 AM

1) How many habitable systems are their in human controlled space? (A estimate is fine)

2) Are Capital ships only the huge battleships/carriers (all 800-1,000 meters in length) or does that include lighter ships (like 200 meter long frigates, etc)

3) Are their any humanoid walkers or hard suits/powered armor?

4) Is Space combat focussed on fighters (like modern naval combat) or is it focussed on battleships/cruisers going at it (like WW1-era naval combat)

5) How many star systems does Xarkon/Victory/Zygbar/Yavakaro control?

6) What is the total population of Xarkon/Victory/Zygbar/Yavakaro?

7) Are their any walkers designed for space like the airborne walkers used by the Sarran?

8) Roughly how many space ships does Xarkon/Victory possess?

Edited by Maleus D, 07 August 2009 - 01:36 AM.

Dio in suo Paradiso, tutto giusto con il mondiale
Gott ist in sein Himmel, alle ist richtig mit die Welt

Benedire essere il Signore, chi insegnare mio di non intervento verso guerra e mio dita verso lotta
Gesegnet sein die Herr, wer unterrichten mein Hnde zu Krieg und mein Finger zu Kampf

#52 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

It's pretty much the most metal thing ever.

• Nova Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE (Death @ Jul 25 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Need zombies? Please tell me you're being sarcastic. Is there some law requiring games to have zombies that I wasn't aware of? When was this passed? huh.gif

I'm not even getting into how Scorp has stated on multiple times that he's sick of zombies in games (and frankly, I can't blame him), I just want to know what your reasoning is for all games to REQUIRE zombies.

ponyavatar.jpg

#53 The Holy Tuna

The Holy Tuna

• Nova Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Dense_Electric @ Aug 3 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Need zombies? Please tell me you're being sarcastic. Is there some law requiring games to have zombies that I wasn't aware of? When was this passed? huh.gif

I'm not even getting into how Scorp has stated on multiple times that he's sick of zombies in games (and frankly, I can't blame him), I just want to know what your reasoning is for all games to REQUIRE zombies.

OK, so the unwriten law of all games containing some form of zombie does not exist, case closed. Can we get back to questions now?

#54 masturcheif

masturcheif

• 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

I was just wondering how much of the nova refuge universe was based off of the halo universe? I mean, the enomeg idea of training since they were young and the enhanced skills, the fact that so many died in process, the only difference is armor.

Have you ever considered looking at stratagy games as ideas for units? because Command and Conquer has a faction possibly based on you :lol: : nod units

is there a mobile repair station in nova refuge? like one that can go to a battlefield under its own power? It seems like such a waste to spend all of that money on war machines and not have a way to repair them on the field. many battles can be won that way. i dont have the books because im not allowed to buy online.

Top secret:Spartan-4 project:Spartan James-088

#55 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

I'm back! Took long enough, I know...

QUOTE (Volen Mechanic)
1) How exactly GA fights in Ultimate War? And on which side?

2) GA had a equipment which they bought on black market right? Could they had some vehicles or aircrafts from any nation of the Big 4 and exists there a company, which produce a weapons only for GA?

3) In LEGO section, a Xarkonian engineers and medics had a different helmet, but I think I heard or read that they had the same helmet like a soldiers. Is that true?

4) Now this is VERY VERY VERY INSANE question, which is totally stupid, but I will try it Is possible, that if anybody will send you, Mr. Saber-Scorpion, a fan-fic that large and good, that it would be a book, what you will do with it?

1) You mean Grimm's Army? They are currently (that is, at the end of Warrior Born) working with Xarkon because of an agreement they made with Lucas Mars. How do they fight? Dirty. biggrin.gif

2) Yes, they get a lot of stuff from the black market and a lot from salvage operations, much of it technology used by the Big Four militaries. So it's not unusual to see a partially rebuilt and refitted Victorian vehicle with the blue colors stripped off and big Grimm skulls painted on the sides. Sometimes Grimm does purchase specially-designed tech specifically for his army, but it's rare.

3) I haven't drawn all of the different helmets, but if there are any design differences to a medic helmet, they are only minimal.

4) I suppose if the fan fic were good enough (accurate and tied-in well to the universe, well thought-out, and well-written) then I might post it to the site with a sort of "declaration of official-ness"... in other words, make it an official canon part of the universe. I'm already planning to incorporate some fan-submitted characters from TTOM into other stories.

QUOTE (Dragon)
4- Randolph, cool. Don't mind me asking, but do you know why your middle name is Randolph?

It's my father's middle name, and we have the same initials (JRS). I think it was his father's middle name too. So it's a family thing. I used to hate when I was a kid because it sounded like "rudolph," but I'm rather fond of it now because it sounds so... Old World somehow. biggrin.gif It means "shield-wolf" by the way. Maegan is jealous because none of her names mean wolf.
All these name questions from a guy whose real name appears to be "CLASSIFIED"! tongue.gif I'm kidding. I don't mind.

QUOTE (sniper-serpent)
In the part of warrior born where the Enomegs are getting their weapons, some of the remarks make it sound like HPG weapons aren't as powerful. Did i get the right impression?

I didn't mean for them to sound less powerful. In fact, they have a bit more impact than chemical-based firearms because of the gauss accelleration (which also gives them greater recoil). The main advantage of chemical-based firearms over HPG is that they do not require electrical power to operate. So if someone pulls out the battery or overloads your weapon with EMP, a chemical-based firearm will still shoot.

QUOTE (Terran_Union)
Although not sure on this but, judging the preference of Victory over aerospace power and Xarkons prefer land walkers, comparing to a video game factions, is the Victory similar to the USA in the game Command and Conquer Generals since they are good at air power and blue color while Xarkon are based from the Soviet Union from from the game Red Alert 3 due to their walker force and red color? (This question is optional to answer)

2. I see, also if I remeber it correctly, when I read the description concerning the main gun of the Thyrm siege tank, it is said that Xarkons don't rely on automated weapon such as UCAV, does this mean they don't have at least remote-operated robots and unmaanned aerial vehicles?

Given that the Xarkons have powerful walker force and Enomeg super-soldier program, does Xarkons have professionaly trained regular soldiers or are they just conscripts trained lightly and deployed as cannon-fodders? ?

4. Despite all the naval warships are all submersile, do they still follow the classification of Cruiser, Destroyer, Frigate, etc. or do they use the classification such as "attack submarine"? Additional, do they save submersile ships as big as the current nuclear-powered submarines?

5. Do the Xarkon Space fleet operate in similar manner as the Carrier Battle Group of the US Navy?

6. Does all human Nova Refuge use the same power used to power Starfire blades to power their vehicles or do they use either fuel-cell, electric, "old-fashion" oil, plasma, or nuclear?

1. I didn't even know that about Red Alert 3 (which I only played briefly), but the idea WAS intended for strategy game applications, yes, since I hope to make an RTS someday. Victory would have the best air forces, Xarkon the best walkers, etc.

2. They have a few remotely-operated units, but they are mostly used for scouting. They consider fighting from a distance with a remote-control toy to be dishonorable.

3. All Xarkon soldiers are highly trained, and they are almost never conscripted. Participation in the military is required for full Xarkonian citizenship, and is encouraged heavily in their educational system. They are a war-like people, and most of them are eager to serve their country. They also consider conscription dishonorable (yeah, there are a lot of things they consider dishonorable tongue.gif).

4. I haven't gone into naval warfare much, but I was planning to keep the terms like "cruiser, destroyer, frigate, etc." The term "submarine" has gone out of use since most naval craft are submersible (all but the largest, usually). There are a few more dedicated to firing at surface targets and others more dedicated to blowing up other ships from under the water though, of course.

5. I have insufficient knowledge of the operation of the US Navy to say. But if you're asking to they travel in groups with escort craft, then the answer is yes. Most of the ships are designed to work in at least small groups.

6. Most modern, advanced terrestrial vehicles and hovercraft use nothing but Energite crystal power cells. Aerospace craft combine this with the Starlight gas. Very few use oil or nuclear, unless they are primitive or rebuilt craft like those often used by Grimm and sometimes Zygbar (or the Slashrim).

QUOTE (Moonlight)
Xarkon, Victory, Yavakoro, etc aren't based on video game factions. Nova Refuge has existed far before C&C Generals or Red Alert 3 existed. Xarkon aren't red because Scorp decided that he was going to copy the Soviet Union (how are they even similar, anyways? The Soviet method is numbers, numbers, numbers. Xarkon is less so.), Xarkon are red because red is a really awesome colour. Victory are more or less based off the IRL western world. They've got their inspirations, but they're far from video-games, especially C&C.

That's a very accurate post, really. Thank you. wink.gif Although it's true I've incorporated a few ideas that I hope to use in a strategy game someday, and the way the factions prefer certain vehicle types is one of those ideas.

QUOTE (FireFox)
Have their been any solar powered machines or weapons?

Also Do you think this helmet would work as an enomeg helmet with a paint job and decals?this?

1. Many craft feature solar cells as back up power-supply systems, but none rely on it exclusively. Thanks to the fusion power of energite crystals, that's really all they need.

2. Could work, sure. I'd put a black head under it to represent the visor, then color the faceplates silver and the rest of it red. It'd work well for a personal helmet design for a fan-fic character... or possibly for Gun-Barracuda. smile.gif

QUOTE (Death)
I basically just
-recolor it

Looks nice, good job! I'm glad you guys like that little bit of artwork so much. I really should post more artwork than I do...

As for your question about Jade, yes, I do want to post a picture for her... or at least her armor. There is at least one picture of her armor in a chapter header drawing in Warrior Born though. Maybe you should buy the book! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Osolis Mantis)
big post

I'll reply to your post in a seperate reply later, since it'll take longer. good.gif

QUOTE (Death)

I beg to differ that every video game needs zombies, but if you're asking what the closest thing would be in Nova Refuge... hmm... uhh... I'm not sure. I haven't introduced anything zombie-like. I don't much care for zombies. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Death)
Did the humans bring any animals from earth to terra nova or did they leave them behind?
Is there any illegal drugs/objects that are smuggled(like cardamine in freelancer) and if there is what is it called?

1. They saved many animals, and in fact there were several organized efforts to do so. Some got loose and have disrupted the local habitat and become dominant in the wild, while others exist only in zoos and preserves.

2. I haven't made up any illegal drugs yet, but you're free to do so. Just be sure to think of a catchy name, and let me know what it is. Maybe I'll use that in an crime-based story I've been working on...

QUOTE (Dragon)

A Skrakki killing mode might work... Waves and waves of Skrakki could be something like zombies, without being... well, zombies of any kind. biggrin.gif The Skrakki, after all, serve the necessary sci-fi role of "the mindlessly agressive species that is an enemy to everyone and cannot be reasoned with."

QUOTE (Dragon)
1. What would a blazer HPG weapon sound like when fired?
2. What would a Starfire weapon sound like when fired?
3. What would a StarTalon sound like when activated? Would it sound like a Lightsaber?
4. What is 100 Xarkonian Crowns and 100 Victorian credits equal to in USD or GBP (dollars of pounds)?

1. I've actually thought about that quite a bit. When I first played Half-Life 2 and fired that Combine machine gun I thought "this is exactly what blazer bullets should look like!" As for the sound, I imagine a deep concussive "thump" like that gun (for the HPG tech), combined with a higher-pitch sort of "buzzing" laser blast like the laser guns in a lot of other sci-fi (for the energy shielding). I want them to sound unique...

2. Like a powerful energy weapon, charging and discharging... with a deeper sound than a blazer weapon, I always figured. At least that's how I'd make it in a video game.

3. I always imagined it sounding a little like a lightsaber when starting up and shutting down, but higher pitched somehow, and without the deep "thrum" made by lightsabers when idling. The sound made when striking things would be similar, but with a less "electrical" sound when striking another blade, and more of a hot blasting or hissing sound... gah, it's kind of hard to describe in words, but I've certainly "heard" them in my head...

4. I hate currency questions... because I don't know how to answer them. I really need to come up with a standard of some kind... I imagine a Xarkon Crown would be roughly equal to the current value of the US dollar, maybe slightly more, with the Victorian credit being yet more valuable than the Crown. The Guildar would be less valuable than either one, but more useful for... shadowy transactions.

QUOTE (Maleus D.)
1) How many habitable systems are their in human controlled space? (A estimate is fine)

2) Are Capital ships only the huge battleships/carriers (all 800-1,000 meters in length) or does that include lighter ships (like 200 meter long frigates, etc)

3) Are their any humanoid walkers or hard suits/powered armor?

4) Is Space combat focussed on fighters (like modern naval combat) or is it focussed on battleships/cruisers going at it (like WW1-era naval combat)

5) How many star systems does Xarkon/Victory/Zygbar/Yavakaro control?

6) What is the total population of Xarkon/Victory/Zygbar/Yavakaro?

7) Are their any walkers designed for space like the airborne walkers used by the Sarran?

8) Roughly how many space ships does Xarkon/Victory possess?

1) Hm. I think you should read the first post. That's exactly the question I said not to ask. biggrin.gif There are thousands of habitable planets in Human space, but relatively few are naturally Terran habitats like Terra Nova. Some are terraformed, others either arid or mostly frozen. I hope this helps somewhat...

2) I've always been confused as to what constitutes a "capital ship" myself, to be honest. It seems to vary from sci-fi universe to sci-fi universe. Can one of the other readers enlighten me? I know you're out there, Ter... tongue.gif

3) Yes, both exist. Walkers with humanoid leg design are used by all Human factions (and by the Sarran) to some extent, though Xarkon much prefers reverse-joint, animalistic leg designs (see Viper's comments in Warrior Born... he prefers humanoid walkers). Hardsuits are usually used for combat in space or very dangerous environments, but they are sometimes used in the field as well (though they have trouble getting around in cities and some other facilities since they usually can't fit through doors).

4) A little bit of both, really. It depends on the situation and the preference of the commander/faction. Victory loves to use their powerful one-man fighters more often than, say, Yavakaro, who prefer to use the weapons of their ships. And as for the situation: if the two ships detect each other from a great distance away, then using fighters would be impractical since it would take so long for them to reach their targets. Long-range fights with powerful weapons between two ships that can't even see each other visually are not uncommon. But in a fight over a planet's surface or an ambush from behind a moon or whatnot... fighters work great because they can distract the enemy's weapons and are hard to hit.

5) As I said, I don't like to give numbers... and currently the control of whole planets or systems is a non-issue, since CONON doesn't like to allow any faction to have sole dominion over an entire planet, much less a star system. A few small planets used only for gathering resources, or terraformed worlds, are owned entirely by one faction or other, but most naturally-occurring Terran worlds may contain colonies from each faction. I can say, however, that there are thousands of habitable planets out there, and Victory and Xarkon control most of the territory, with Yavakaro in third and Zygbar taking up the rear. Grimm's Army has hideouts on moons and such, but does not control any habitable planets completely for their own.

6) Lots. Like, big numbers. Something ending in "-illions." tongue.gif

7) The aero-walkers are so far unique to the Sarran and, except for the hardsuits I mentione earlier, Human walkers are not designed for combat in space itself.

9) Gah! No more numbers! *runs away*

QUOTE (masturcheif)
I was just wondering how much of the nova refuge universe was based off of the halo universe? I mean, the enomeg idea of training since they were young and the enhanced skills, the fact that so many died in process, the only difference is armor.

Have you ever considered looking at stratagy games as ideas for units? because Command and Conquer has a faction possibly based on you laugh.gif : nod units

is there a mobile repair station in nova refuge? like one that can go to a battlefield under its own power? It seems like such a waste to spend all of that money on war machines and not have a way to repair them on the field. many battles can be won that way. i dont have the books because im not allowed to buy online.

Nice username. I lol'd. tongue.gif

1. The vast majority of the Nova Refuge universe was made up long before Halo even existed. Seriously, I laid most of this down when I was a kid. Little kid. When I actually picked up my LEGO men and made them talk to each other (I don't do that anymore, honestly! tongue.gif). So while a few aspects of the NR universe may have been inspired by ideas from Halo (usually when I saw something I liked in Halo and went, "You know, that's pretty cool!"), none of it is actually BASED on Halo. The Enomegs have evolved greatly over the years. Originally they were a galactic police force (seriously!), then an elite military force for a nation called the Seekers, then I decided to make them chosen genetically and gave them the name Enomeg (the name was partially inspired by the genome soldiers of Metal Gear Solid). When I read the original Halo novels I did pick up a few ideas, I'll admit, but there are still major differences. The greatest difference is that the Enomegs are trained to work with or without technological enhancement of any kind. No cyborg parts implanted in their bodies or genetic enhancement like SPARTANs... just survival skills and a really cool suit of armor that they are taught not to rely on. In fact, if a significant portion of an Enomeg's body gets replaced by cybernetic prosthetics due to injuries, he is forcibly retired from the corps to become a Spec Ops commander in the army proper. Enomegs believe in the purity of the human body and the honor of man fighting man. They are not giant bulky robots with robotic personalities like Spartans. In fact, they rely much more on finesse, stealth, and infiltration, rather than being walking tanks. And finally, I would just like to point out that the idea of genetically-selected supersoldiers put through rigorous training that kills most of the trainees is hardly original to Halo. Just look at a list of sci-fi super-soldiers on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....iers_in_fiction

2. I've gotten a lot of my ideas from various strategy games... although I've never played the Command & Conquer series at all, I'm sorry to say. What I see in that link looks like pretty standard sci-fi units though... *shrug*

3. Certainly. There are support units for nearly every type of vehicle in Nova Refuge, some of which are made for repair and re-armament (giving them an ammo refill). Walkers in particular seldom enter a battlefield without some support units on hand.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#56 Maleus D

Maleus D

We are always watching...

• 110 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Saber-Scorpion @ Aug 7 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Hm. I think you should read the first post. That's exactly the question I said not to ask. biggrin.gif There are thousands of habitable planets in Human space, but relatively few are naturally Terran habitats like Terra Nova. Some are terraformed, others either arid or mostly frozen. I hope this helps somewhat...

Thanks. That was exactly what needed.

QUOTE (Saber-Scorpion @ Aug 7 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) I've always been confused as to what constitutes a "capital ship" myself, to be honest. It seems to vary from sci-fi universe to sci-fi universe. Can one of the other readers enlighten me? I know you're out there, Ter... tongue.gif

A capital ship is, according to wikipedia/various naval textbooks I don't feel like naming, "the capital ships of a navy are its most important warships; the ones bearing the heaviest firepower and armor. A capital ship will generally lead or be a primary element in any fleet or task group."

To translate the biggest and baddest ships in any nations fleet. In modern-day terms the Aircraft carriers. In sci-fi terms it means the carriers, battleships/battlecruisers.

The hierarchy roughly comes out as:

Captial ships (aircraft carriers, battleships, and battlecruisers): The strongest ships in the fleet. Heavily armed and armored or carrying large numbers of fightesr and bombers. Usually used as flagships.
-then-
Cruisers/Escort Carriers: Smaller than their capital ship brethern but more numerous. A example would the Watcher in the Fog , which I assume was a Escort carrier.
-then-
Escorts: The bulk of the fleet. Used for patrolling and protecting the larger warships . Generally fairly lightly armed and armored and operate in groups.

The reason I askd was because I'm wokring on a number of ships and I wanted to know if all spaceborne warships where classified as "capital ships" since you said their where so few of them, or if their where more numerous escort ships.

Dio in suo Paradiso, tutto giusto con il mondiale
Gott ist in sein Himmel, alle ist richtig mit die Welt

Benedire essere il Signore, chi insegnare mio di non intervento verso guerra e mio dita verso lotta
Gesegnet sein die Herr, wer unterrichten mein Hnde zu Krieg und mein Finger zu Kampf

#57 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,114 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

Yes, GA means Grimm's Army smile.gif

1) Dirty... as I expected, thanks for it smile.gif

2) If you read Star Wars Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future, there Imperial Remnants were usning a Preybird Fighters, manufactured in a factory owned by some criminal guys. So technically, if one company which produce a military equipment could build for GA some weapons for them, if they will have a mutual agreement? Even it will be a hand weapon, tank or fighter?

3) So basically they are the same, just with some differences like a Medic will had a display with patients status or something and Engineer... well, something biggrin.gif

4) I see smile.gif I just wondered about it smile.gif

And abput a ship classification, I agree with Maleus. By me there are 3 classes of the ships.

A) Escord Ship
- Corvette
- Gunboat
- Patrol Ship

shades.gif Support Ship
- Frigate
- Cruiser
- Aircraft Carrier

C) Capital Ship
- Battleship
- Heavy Cruiser / Battlecruiser
- Heavy/Large Aircraft Carrier

Some new questions

1) Teoretically, when the Ultimate War begin and there will be a small group of Zygbarian elite soldiers which deflect to Victory, is possible that this group could join to Victorian Forces and became a elite special group like SpecOps? And their leader could reach some higher ranks like Major, Colonel or General? Will Victory accept them?

2) Zygbarian naming system of their units are a medieval swords or weapons, right? Could there be some... exceptions named after Japanese swords/katanas?

3) When, for example, in Victory will be discovered a large market with a drugs ot something like that, who will inspect it? Some military special groups, police or something like FBI? If they had something like this.

4) These "aero-walkers", what they are exactly? I mean, they are a light variant of some battle walkers which are dropped by a dropships (Nidhogg for example) from larger hight (10 meters) or as it was said a walkers which appear in space battles? That they use their jump-jets to land on a hull of enemy ship and destroy it and escape when a hull will be enought damaged which cause a destruction of the ship?

5) What is a thinking about a "cloning"? For example, I mean that one criminal organization will gain a access to cloning tanks and produce a army of clones, highly trained with many sorts of weapons and martial arts. And this organization will use them to conquer some independent countries on one planet?

6) And the same but with a "genetical experiments" like fusing a human DNA with some animal DNA (lizard for example)? Is their some large punishment for "cloning and genetical manipulation"?

Edited by Volen Metalic, 13 August 2009 - 02:04 AM.

#58 Terran_Union

Terran_Union

Spaghetti Crusader

• 30 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:55 PM

@Volen Metalic:

About question 4, I think an Aero Walker is a specialized version of walkers designed mostly for flight operations rather than just walking, like the walkers most of the time flies rather than walk on ground, although this is from what I see about Aero Walker, Scorp is the only one that can confirm the concept of Aero Walkers

@Scorp:
About number 5, yup, since in many sci-fi movies it is rarely that a capital ship is escorted by escort ships and most space fights occur between escort ships

QUOTE (Saber-Scorpion @ Aug 7 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm back! Took long enough, I know...

3. All Xarkon soldiers are highly trained, and they are almost never conscripted. Participation in the military is required for full Xarkonian citizenship, and is encouraged heavily in their educational system. They are a war-like people, and most of them are eager to serve their country. They also consider conscription dishonorable (yeah, there are a lot of things they consider dishonorable tongue.gif ).

So its like in Starship Troopers that it is a requirement for civilians to serve. ^ ^

Anyways:

Another set of question ^ ^"

-Do all human factions have weapons of mass destruction aside from nuclear, chemical and biological, like an orbital MAC gun or orbital laser cannons? A seemingly not-related question, but it does involve society, does beef and chicken foods exists on Human countries? ^ ^"

-If Boss A pays Grimm's mercenary army higher amount of money than the Boss B, which is their current person that hired them, will they turn their weapons against Boss B?

-Does the Victory, Xarkon and Yavakaro regular infantry wear some sort of powered armor, attire similar to Star Wars clone troopers and stormtroopers or the like those in the 3D-CGI series Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles (a.k.a. Starship Troopers TV series)? Do nations use cloning to produce soldiers incase they are losing a lot of soldiers? Do their combat uniforms allow them to operate in zero-atmosphere and has anti-NBC protection?

-Does each nations has the "common" used warship (either escort or capital ships) like the Imperial-I class Star Destroyer is to Galactic Empire, Halcyon class Cruiser is to UNSC, Behemoth class Battlecruiser is to Terran Dominion in StarCraft? Adding to this is, are there still helicopter being used or all are flying vehicles and aerospace vehicles only

- Is it okay to make walkers and weapons as well as special infantry (like human-size specialized exoskeleton weapons platform or something) for the Victorians and Xarkons, I just want to contribute or show the stuff I make for the two factions since the Victory and Xarkon are my favorite factions/ nations in Nova Refuge

Edited by Terran_Union, 10 October 2009 - 07:53 PM.

#59 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,114 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (Terran_Union @ Aug 8 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About question 4, I think an Aero Walker is a specialized version of walkers designed mostly for flight operations rather than just walking, like the walkers most of the time flies rather than walk on ground, although this is from what I see about Aero Walker, Scorp is the only one that can confirm the concept of Aero Walkers

So something like a Jet/Mecha Tengu unit from RA3?

#60 Terran_Union

Terran_Union

Spaghetti Crusader

• 30 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Volen Metalic @ Aug 8 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So something like a Jet/Mecha Tengu unit from RA3?

Yup since having an aero-walker allows one to have a weapon that can be use as both air and land vehicle, although it could also mean that the walker is still a walker (does not transform) but it can fly aside from just hover in the air.

Edited by Terran_Union, 09 August 2009 - 07:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users