• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maximus Corellio

Maximus Corellio

Different, but not less.

• Nova Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Hey everyone! So, my friend and I have a Star Trek AU that we've been building that is primarily set in the 2370's during the Dominion War, running fairly concurrently with the War of the same decade in the prime timeline, and I wanted to share a piece from it that I've been working on. A little background information on some of the characters: My character, Sovaan, is a Vulcan-Human hybrid, like Spock, but unlike Spock, Sovaan's Kolinahr ceremony, the Vulcan ritual of purging all emotion, was only partially successful, leaving Sovaan with the ability to suppress or access his emotions at will. My friend's character, working name Koval, is a Vulcan-Romulan hybrid who's Kolinahr ceremony was even less successful, leaving Koval's sanity somewhat damaged. Together, Sovaan and Koval serve as partner agents in Section 31, a top-secret, largely unsanctioned branch of Starfleet Intelligence, as well as commanders in Starfleet, with nearly impeccable service records and highly distinguished military and Security branch careers. Here is an excerpt from a WIP I'm working on. Hope you enjoy it! Let me know your thoughts!

Sovaan opened his eyes and gingerly lifted his head, wincing at an ache in the side of his forehead. He was draped across the front of the console, and there was a shatterpoint in its glass facing where his head had slammed into it. He leaned back, gasping in pain as other injuries revealed themselves. In the navigator’s seat to his right, Koval was doing the same thing, with added pain-induced curses peppering his groans.

“Wh-agh-what happened?” Koval groaned, pulling himself upright.

“Emergency landing,” Sovaan replied, now aware of the symphony of grunts and groans issuing from the tactical team in the cabin behind them. “We must have passed out on impact. Self-diagnosis?”

Koval carefully probed his torso and limbs.

“Bleeding nose...cracked bones in my left wrist...right ankle is - augh! - sprained...a few small cuts and scrapes...not too bad, I don’t think. What about you?”

“The most obvious is my head,” said Sovaan, “minor trauma from impact with the console. A couple of bruised ribs, too. And minor whiplash, to top it off.”

“Commander!” One of the tactical team members came forward. “Hoskins, Freeman, Fer’at, Jones, and Lenara are all dead.”

“Are you all right, Lieutenant? Who else is hurt?” asked Koval, pulling himself out his seat.

“I’m fine, sir, just a few scrapes. Hoffman’s leg is broken, Smith’s whole right arm shattered in the crash, and Broht broke three ribs. Shrassas’ wrist and forearm are pierced by shrapnel. Rogers and Sullivan are just cut and bruised, like me, sir. I think we were lucky to make it out of that crash alive, Commanders.”

“Most of us, at least,” muttered Ensign Hoffman, trying not to look at the dead bodies of his teammates.

Sovaan turned back to the console and opened a log channel.

“Unit commander’s log, supplemental: Shuttlecraft Aurelius ambushed and attacked by patrolling Jem’Hadar strike ship. Both vessels damaged in ensuing firefight. Aurelius, with failing life support, forced to retreat and make emergency landing...on Vulcan. Most of the shuttle’s sensors are down; I cannot tell for sure where on the planet we landed...but we need to find out soon...because we have only a little life support left, and temperatures inside the shuttlecraft are beginning to increase rapidly. Because our sensors are down, we have no idea where the Jem’Hadar vessel is. We have no way of knowing if we may survive...end of log.”

Be without fear in the face of your enemies.

Be bold and upright that God may love thee.

Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death.

Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong.

That is your oath.

#2 Maximus Corellio

Maximus Corellio

Different, but not less.

• Nova Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

Working on the next part! stay tuned!

That is your oath.

#3 Maximus Corellio

Maximus Corellio

Different, but not less.

• Nova Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

Part 2! This story is likely to have several parts before it's completion. Feel free to correct me in any aspect if necessary: lore, continuity, grammar, anything! Mild language warning, but the words are far-between and used sparingly.

The cabin went silent for a long, agonizing moment as the team contemplated the heavy weight of the words Sovaan had spoken.

It was Ensign Hoffman who broke the silence. He was fighting hard to keep fear from creeping into his voice as he spoke.

“Vulcan? I’ve...I’ve never been to Vulcan before, sir. Hell, I-I’ve hardly ever been out of Sol in my life before now...before getting this assignment, the...the furthest I’d ever really been from home was Pluto, Commander.”

Sovaan made his way over to where Hoffman sat, still strapped in by the emergency seatbelts, and began to bind his broken leg in a makeshift splint he made from pieces of debris.

“What is your name, Ensign? Your given name,” Sovaan asked, attempting to take Hoffman’s mind off of his leg and his fear.

“Jim...er, James, sir,” Hoffman replied. “James...but I usually went by Jim at the Academy, sir. I was...um...named after Captain Kirk.”

Sovaan nodded in approval as he worked. “Excellent. Strong name for a brave man like you, Jim. Focus on me now. Don’t try to think about the pain too much. Good. That should hold for a while.” Sovaan tied off the splint and began to gently shift Hoffman in his seat, trying to make him more comfortable, while Koval, the Lieutenant, and the other survivors that were unharmed located medkits and started tending to those that were not.

“If it is not too personal to ask, Ensign, how old are you?” Sovaan asked as he assisted with the other injured.

“Twenty-one, sir,” said Hoffman, unbuckling his seatbelts. “I just graduated from the Academy last month.”

The entire team paused to look at Hoffman in disbelief.

“Only twenty-one?” Koval asked, shocked. “Sovaan, a full commission and assignment a month out of the Academy is far too soon! Boys - young men, excuse me - like James here are too young to serve in a front-line team at all, much less our front-line team! Alumni his age and position are to be given small assignments and short duty tours, to build up a career and field experience. That is Starfleet policy and tradition, and that’s the way it’s been for decades, centuries even! What are they thinking at Command?”

Sovaan stood, sweat produced by the hot, dry air causing his uniform to stick to him awkwardly. As he stared into Koval’s gold-flecked green eyes, he felt the temper of his human side begin to rise with the temperature. “I don’t know if you’re aware, Koval, but we’re in the middle of a war. Command is thinking that they need phasers in as many hands as they can get, regardless of how willing those hands are to take them. Wars aren’t fought or won with small assignments, short duty tours, and career building. They’re fought with manpower. And besides, I hadn’t any idea that you even gave a targ’s ass about Starfleet rules and policy!”

“Normally I don’t,” Koval spat back, “but this time it’s different, because I have LIVES that I’m responsible for!”

From there the two exploded into a full-blown argument, Koval unconsciously slipping into Romulan. Sovaan followed suit. Occasionally the two would switch back and forth between the Romulan and Vulcan languages, sometimes mid sentence. This went on for over five minutes before Hoffman had had enough.

“Commanders, please!” he yelled. “With life support down, we had little enough air as it is; now we have five minutes less! If I’m going to die at twenty-one, I would rather not die trapped, with no air, in an irreparably damaged shuttle in the middle of a desert, surrounded by a half-dead team, a pair of commanders who are about to nerve-pinch each other to death, and no way of knowing where the enemy is! I realize the situation and rapidly declining amount of air are making it harder to keep our heads, but that's no excuse to bite into each other like that! You can court-martial me for this when we get home, if you want, but first we all need to just calm down and figure out a way to get home!”

Just then, the shuttle shook, sending everyone off balance and reopening bandaged wounds.

That is your oath.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users