Photo

E3 2017: Everything was Metroid

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
168 replies to this topic

Poll: RANKINGS! (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Who won E3?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#141 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,341 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:28 PM

MvC3 was nailing it right from the moment they released that trailer where Cap blocked a crashing helicopter with his shield. This game really doesn't seem to be nailing it on any level, except keeping glorious RE5 Beefcake Chris Roidfield alive. Next thing we're going to find out that She Hulk isn't even in the game, and then I'm going to be very upset indeed.

MOAR DISAPPOINTMENT!

hb4Nd9H.jpg?1

What's the point of Life is Strange with no time travel, no Max and a different Chloe?

yyU5VR4.png

Most powerful console ever made, still 30FPS.

I'm out. E3 is ruined. I hate video games. I'm going to have to get into artisanal organic coffee beans as a hobby or something; maybe learn to play the spoons. Everything is awful.

#142 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:45 AM

My E3 thoughts so far:

• The Spiderman game makes me very excited. Spiderman 2 remains one of my favourite games and if this new one recreates that web swinging experience in Glorious HD Graphics then I don't really care about the story or combat. I just want to swing.
  • Despite the overwhelming attitude on this forum I will play Shadow of War. And I WILL ENJOY IT. Muahahaha.
  • AC Origins has the potential to be good, Egypt gets nowhere near enough love in gaming so pretty hyped even if it turns out to be "Ubisoft Map Markers bonanzza #784".
  • AOE Remastered is cool but I have a feeling Microsoft are going to use it to push their Windows Store.
  • Don't care about anything else I've seen.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#143 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

Despite the overwhelming attitude on this forum I will play Shadow of War. And I WILL ENJOY IT. Muahahaha.

ovgp15i.gif

Is that positivity I sense in this thread, even after I have clearly declared this E3 to be disappointing!? This simply will not do, I'm afraid. BANS FOR EVERYONE!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Insomniac's Spider-Man, even if the physics are definitely on the looser side. You can see in that footage that there's enough air control that it doesn't really matter where you anchor a web; at one point the player webs a building on his right and then swings to the left, which is basically flying. But I'd still love a good, new Spider-Man game, and even if this one is very Arkham, and I don't like all those QTEs, and nothing will ever be as good as Spider-Man 2, I still want to play it.

My own games of the show so far are:

- Mario + Rabbids. This is such a weird combination that I couldn't help but be intrigued by the leak, but seeing it in action and finding out it's a Mario-flavoured XCOM clone has tipped it over the edge for me. I've gotta play that game.

- Beyond Good & Evil 2, obviously. Even if it definitely isn't the game I'd hoped for all these years, watching Michel Ancel walk out on stage and wipe a tear from his eye convinced me that it's still going to be something special.

- Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. With Dishonored 2's disappointing sales, I wasn't expecting any followup at all, so I'm delighted that it exists.

- Forza 7. I mean, it's a racing sim, so there isn't much to say, but it looks like a really good one.

And that's about it.I could maybe play that new Assassin's Creed, and I'm definitely in for Uncharted Lost Legacy and Horizon's DLC but those aren't really showstoppers. The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2 and Anthem are all pretty cool games that just aren't in genres I like to play. Everything else I either already knew about from last E3 or even earlier, or was totally underwhelming. 

Once again we find ourselves in the dubious position of having to rely on Nintendo to bump the E3 excitement factor up a few notches. I suppose we'll find out what's what in just under four hours. Their pre-recorded show is only 25-30 minutes long, but they'll be going into Treehouse streams directly afterwards where they're also going to reveal some stuff.

#144 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

Once again we find ourselves in the dubious position of having to rely on Nintendo to bump the E3 excitement factor up a few notches. I suppose we'll find out what's what in just under four hours. Their pre-recorded show is only 25-30 minutes long, but they'll be going into Treehouse streams directly afterwards where they're also going to reveal some stuff.

Nintendo already did their big Pokémon announcements in their Nintendo Direct (just days before E3) like the weirdos they are. I'm already hyped for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, as well as virtual console GSC.

Is it too much to hope for a side scrolling old school Metroid? Or any Metroid? Or some indication they're not inexplicably embarrassed at having an amazing franchise like Metroid.

#145 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerfherder

• Nova Member
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:03 AM

Is that positivity I sense in this thread, even after I have clearly declared this E3 to be disappointing!? 

Especially about something so disrespectful of Tolkien's masterpiece that makes the Hobbit Movies look like child's play in comparison?

ae3.gif

#146 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

Is it too much to hope for a side scrolling old school Metroid? Or any Metroid? Or some indication they're not inexplicably embarrassed at having an amazing franchise like Metroid.

Yes, that is too much to hope for. Nintendo doesn't make 2D Metroids any more, it kills them.

I'll tell you what we can expect from Nintendo:

- Reggie walks out wearing a Samus pin on his lapel. Five minutes into one of his inscrutable, stream-of-consciousness marketing-speak performances, he glances down, laughing, and says "Hah, I forgot I was even wearing this!" Then, maintaining eye contact with the camera the entire time, he tears the pin from his breast and throws it into a nearby trashcan, before cheerfully continuing his speech

- The next ten minutes are devoted to an exhaustive reiteration of everything we already know about ARMS ahead of its release this Friday

- Brief snippets of footage of Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Mario/Rabbids are spliced into a five-minute long accolades trailer for the Switch, composed entirely of popular Youtubers blowing out microphones by screaming into them

- Reggie comes back out for the finale: "Lastly today, I'm so excited to talk to you about the new and upcoming games we'll see on the Nintendo Switch system...

So please stay tuned as we reveal more information later in the year"

That's it. Treehouse stream is cancelled. E3 is over.

EDIT - Here's the Nintendo stream, in case anyone can even be BOTHERED.

Ugh, video games.

#147 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

And it's go time. We're staring off with some Arms.

Or possibly just a montage.

#148 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I told you Reggie was going to do his inscrutable marketing-speak thing. I feel like they just wind up the key in his back and point a camera at him.

EDIT - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is here, with English accents, too! Are they actually going to get this thing out this year without a delay?

#149 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

AW SNAP we're starting with Xenoblade!

#150 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

I'm really feeling it!

...is what I would say if this game's art style wasn't horrific. Why did they have to screw with the original Xenoblade's perfectly good look? These characters all look terrible.

EDIT - Kirby's here, I suppose.

#151 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

New Kirby with the ability combos from 64? Nice.

#152 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

Game Freak is making a Pokemon RPG for Switch. No details beyond that. Not even so much as a logo. Potential hype, I suppose?

#153 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

WHAT

#154 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

WHAT

I thought that was going to be the Smash 4 port, but it turned out to be METROID PRIME 4! Literally just a title card with the words 'In development for Nintendo Switch', though.

EDIT - Yoshi games are so boring, and now this looks like Fire Emblem Dynasty Warriors.

#155 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

They said they would do more than just protagonists so they would have more than just swordsmen. I feel lied to.

#156 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

"So, we're making a Pokemon RPG and Metroid Prime 4 for Switch, how should we announce it at E3?"

"Eh, I'm sure we'll work something out"

EDIT - Accordion Bird Guy from Zelda finally learnt a new verse. BotW's DLC looks a bit rubbish, but the larger expansion coming later in the year might still have promise.

The four BotW champions are going to be Amiibos. I'm pretty sure I'm buying Urbosa.

#157 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

New.... Metroid?

Switch... Pokemon?

Metal... Gear?

Ugh, I'm happy but at the same time i don't want to have to buy a Switch.

#158 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Mario Odyssey is here! A T-Rex! Mario on a scooter! A theme song with lyrics!

Oh my God this game looks incredible!

#159 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Mario can now physically possess his enemies. Not sure how I feel about this.

And I guess it's over.

#160 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

Well, that was 24 minutes long, all killer no filler:

- Xenoblade 2 comes out this year in English

- There's a Switch Kirby next year

- A Yoshi, too

- Pokemon RPG for Switch in the works

- METROID PRIME 4 IS HAPPENING

- Breath of the Wild's DLC looks interesting, at least, and they're making an Urbosa Amiibo

- Mario Rabbids still looks great

- Rocket League is coming to Switch

- Super Mario Odyssey is the game of the show

Nintendo wins E3.

Now they're playing Mario Odyssey on Treehouse:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users