#222 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

I thought that was his bear form. :P

twilightreally.gif

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#223 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

308a0bl.gif

twilightreally.gif

sI4ha.gif

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#224 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I picked up the Elf Army set a few days ago. Thrawnie and I both overestimated the price. Six minifigs and a warg for just $30?! Awesome! Of course the orcs don't have the orc hairpiece with the ears, and the set itself is laughably small when built (I don't think the orcs need siege ladders for this tiny wall), but still... not too shabby.

I always planned to resurrect my "Scorp's LotR set reviews" thread to finish off the Hobbit sets and do the extra LotR waves, but it looks like I won't find time, so here are a few short comments instead:

• 79005 The Wizard Battle: Speaks for itself. Buy it for Saruman.
  • 79006 The Council of Elrond: It's nice to have Elrond and Arwen, but boy I wish there was a bigger Rivendell set. Some arches, a chair, a table, and a tree is all we get. I guess it could be a decent starting point for a MOC though.
  • 79007 Battle at the Black Gate: Awesome set, great minifigs, the Black Gate is cool lookin'. Still pissed there's no unique mold for Anduril though, and you really need to buy two gates to combine them into a wall.
  • 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush: Not my favorite choice for a set idea, but the Corsair pirate ship is undeniably awesome. The inclusion of the spiked ram on the nose was my favorite touch. Medieval ship warfare FTW. The ghosts are not translucent though, sadly.
  • 79003 An Unexpected Gathering: BAG END, THE ONE HOBBIT SET TO RULE THEM ALL. It's really the only Hobbit set worth getting for anything other than the minifigs. If you only get one Hobbit set, obviously get this one.
  • ALL OTHER HOBBIT SETS: To be quite honest, with the exception of "79013 Lake-town Chase" (which I don't have yet), all of the other Hobbit sets can be summed up like this: "Some cool minifigs with a bit of price-inflating junk like rocks and trees." I guess there haven't been enough iconic locations in the Hobbit movie to warrant truly awesome sets yet. I bought them all, of course, but it's not really worth it unless you just want to collect all the dwarves.

A lot of the LotR sets work best when bought in pairs and combined. I already picked up another Mines of Moria on sale and am working on combining it with my first one to make a big ol' Balin's Tomb. And I plan to do the same with the Black Gate. And possibly even Helm's Deep if I can find one slightly cheaper. I also plan to add another floor or two to the awesome $200 Tower of Orthanc set. I'll post pics of all this when I'm done. :D

Oh, and one more thing... people are saying this might be the next LotR wave, and if it's true, I am STOKED:

• The Mirror of Galadriel
  • Amon Hen Ambush
  • The Defence of Osgiliath
  • Witch King showdown
  • The Battle of Minas Tirith

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#225 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

Duuuuuude the only thing that would make that list better would be Theodin's hall (I don't know the specific name), and possibly an Olliphant, but hey who knows maybe the latter would come with Minas Tireth? The only way they can pretend to do that battle justice is with a several-hundred dollar set, really, so I don't see an Elephant-esque creature being too out-of-the-question.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LotR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users