Photo

DOOOOOOOOOOOOM

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#21 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

I don't like First Person Shooters. How wrong am I?

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#22 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

I don't like First Person Shooters. How wrong am I?

Except it's Doom.  It isn't just a first person shooter.  It is THE FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.  It's what all other FPSs strived to be, failed, and then added their own spin to it, moving more and more away from their roots.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#23 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

So, basic and bland but it's okay because it's the first, right?

#24 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

POPULAR

Actually, there were several FPSes before Doom, some very old, if you want to get technical. Even if you don't want to count really old FPSes that were basically just Rogue-like symbols running around shooting each other, then there's still one FPS that happened before Doom did. It was released one year before Doom, in fact.

The protagonist is on all your profile pages.

Wolfenstein-3d.jpg

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#25 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

Except it's Doom.  It isn't just a first person shooter.  It is THE FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.  It's what all other FPSs strived to be, failed, and then added their own spin to it, moving more and more away from their roots.

Right here, I'm not a nostalgic old fart who's been playing Doom since I was in nappies, I first played it when I was probably 10 or so, but I didn't get into the game proper since only a few short years ago. Since then Doom has become my most played FPS by no small margin, and that play time is thanks greatly to the incredibly resilient mapping and modding community, who every year without fail, churn out dozens of hours worth of high quality maps to play in old school Doom and mods to mix things.

One of the things that may age Doom the greatest is also it's greatest strength: the heavily abstracted map design. Doom's levels at the very best, give lip service to looking like a real place, but this allows talented mappers to focus on making labyrinthine maps that are incredibly dangerous to navigate, and consistently find new and interesting ways to use the very well defined set of enemies that are so iconic to doom.

And the Shotguns, they have an incredible, rhythmic efficiency, spend enough time using and you'll have the fire rate down so well that you'll always have your shotgun pointing at enemy at just the right time and you'll always be out of danger between shots. The shotgun and super shotgun, are incredibly versatile, but what makes them a truly great part of the arsenal is that they don't suffer from the biggest problem that plagues modern shooters: they still aren't a boring middle of the road assault rifle that will kill every enemy in the game for you as you follow around some other soldier's butt. The shotguns have a role that they fill perfectly, but you can't rely on them to do everything.

@ Skelin, not the first, simply the best

Edited by Herbert, 07 January 2016 - 01:05 PM.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#26 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:23 PM

I can't add anything more to what Herb said. But I can acknowledge Wolfenstein as being a big influence on Doom. Wolf brought in the foundation. Doom solidified it. And that's why it stands the test of time.

If Ocarina is wildly considered as a game everyone needs to play at least once, then Doom is too, dammit.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#27 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

While I am admittedly biased against shooters, and even more so against first-person games, I just don't get the hype behind Doom.

Maybe it's because I haven't spent hours with it (I don't like defending games that need lots of hours to "grow on you"), but to me, when I played it a while back it really didn't stick out to me. It felt like I was walking around that Windows 95 screensaver with a gun and shooting aliens. Don't get me wrong, nothing was inherently bad (once you remove my bias against FP and S), but it didn't feel like that great of a game. Yeah, it sort of defined the genre, but that's pretty much because it was one of the earliest. That's what happens when something is new.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Doom other than hype and nostalgia, I guess. It's a simple game that's done well, and while it doesn't do everything wrong, that doesn't make it one of the best. To me anyway. The best games are ones that craft memorable experiences, and not just because it was the first time something happened.

Ocarina isn't the Zelda game everyone should play at least once, but I guess it's shorter and more accessible than the best Zelda game, so whatever.

#28 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

my bias against FP and S

I think that pretty much summarizes why you don't like Doom, because that's literally all Doom exists to be. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#29 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

See, but I do like a few First Person games, and a couple shooters. It's because they're special. Doom doesn't feel special to me. It feels simple and basic. While it is also not anywhere near broken or bad, it doesn't feel special.

#30 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

'Special' isn't something that can really be argued either way, what's special to you is not special to someone else.

There's not much more I can add, but as one final bit, I'll point out that Doom still has a community strong enough to give out near on a dozen awards for maps and mods every year, 22 years later
http://www.doomworld.com/22years/
It takes more than nostalgia to keep a game truly alive that long.

Edited by Herbert, 07 January 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#31 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

See, but I do like a few First Person games, and a couple shooters. It's because they're special. Doom doesn't feel special to me. It feels simple and basic. While it is also not anywhere near broken or bad, it doesn't feel special.

The simple fact of what it and Wolfenstein did for the FPS genre is what makes it special. It's quite easy to postulate that they paved the way for the likes of Quake, Marathon, Halo, and other late 90s/early 00s FPS franchises, which in themselves have inspired the series that have popped up since.

Also it's just plain fun. Herb said it before. Every gun has it's place. Not one of them is superfluous. Each enemy serves a role like a well oiled machine. Gameplay is extremely easy to get used to on the surface, hence why I figure some people call it 'bland'.

But it takes an eternity to master. Maps are varied, and usually have many secrets hidden. Enemy formations of certain makeups can take you by surprise

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

#32 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

You guys could start a Doom thread...

:shrug:

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#33 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

Talk Doom. Any Doom. Except Doctor Doom. Go make a FF thread, you culture-deaf turkey.

DooM (id's new reboot) comes out sometime in the next few months (before the end of Q2)

Gameinformer article

2016-02-cover-front-610.jpg

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#34 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

From what I saw at E3, the new Doom looks awesome. It definitely looks like a Doom game from a gameplay standpoint, and certainly checks off many of the boxes that allows it to qualify as a Doom game. Granted, I have hardly put in countless hours into Doom as many, MANY others have, but it looks real good to me.

I'm quite hyped for this, I'm not gonna lie. I think it'll be really fun.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#35 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

HOW TO PLAY DOOM COMFORTABLY ON A MODERN PC FOR PLEBS WHO DON'T KNOW NOTHIN'

Now Doom is among the best shooters out there, and when you buy it from your steams or installing it from your floppies, it's already an excellent experience. However, presentation and the old-school FPS controls are two aspects of Doom that even I will concede have not aged like fine wine and there's a few small tweaks + additions you can make that will not alter the real gameplay but do make the game handle and look at a tad smoother

step 1: source port

Doom is an open source game, which means people are free to edit the engine. GZDoom, the most universally utilized source port, provides modern resolution options, optional jumping (off by default because it breaks most maps, but some mods require it), a plethora of extras, and best of all: (optional, as is all source port options)modern-style mouse aiming, which kind of makes the game harder, but feels nicer under the fingers, some purists may disagree so YMMV on that. The source Port is also important because the vast majority of modern maps and mods require GZDoom to run. 

Download the latest version of GZDoom from here http://forum.drdteam...php?f=23&t=6482

all you have to do is extract it into the same folder as your doom.wad (where ever Doom is installed, you'll find the wad) it works with all Id games that run on the Doom engine, so Heretic, Hexen and Strife work to (I keep all of the different .wads in one folder, so I can play any of them quickly, from one .exe) run the .exe and it should automatically detect relevant .wads, more or less

step 2: Smooth Doom

Smooth Doom is the best mod, because it has zero effect on gameplay, rather, it smooths out enemy animations by adding new frames, adds (optional) bullet casings and blood effects, plus a host of other purely visual effects, it makes the game look a bit more polished, while retaining 1:1 gameplay.

http://forum.zdoom.o...hp?f=19&t=45550

you can download it from here, drop the file into your Doom directory (same one where GZdoom goes). 

You can drag the file on to Gzdoom to run it, or you can create a shortcut of GZDoom, open the properties tab of the shortcut by right clicking on it, going to bar labelled 'target' and appending the following on to the end: "-file SmoothDoom.pk3" (minus quotation marks)

That way GZDoom will automatically boot the file when you run it.

step 3: get some new maps

Even Id's classic maps can only be beaten on ultraviolence mode so many times,

check out the cacowards for a cream of the crop selection of maps

http://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

maps work just like Smooth Doom and other mods, you can drag & drop it on to GZDoom, or for a more permanent solution, create a GZDoom shortcut, open the properties tab, find the little thing labelled 'target' which list the directory of GZdoom and add the following: -file "MapNameExample".wad (minus quotation marks)

using that shortcut Method, you can run mods and maps at the same time easily, as long as they don't contradict each other, they will boot up one after another

example of what your target should like in your shortcut if done correctly: "C:\Users\Pentagon\Games\Doom\gzdoom.exe" -file SmoothDoom.pk3 -file mapname.wad

substitute "mapname" with the actual name of your chosen map pack's file, I'm currently playing sunlust.wad

good luck

Edited by Herbert, 07 January 2016 - 10:02 PM.

#36 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

DOOM + I think it was GZDoom (the mod that adds 'better graphics' and updated controls/basically help make DOOM function on modern systems) + BRUTAL DOOM (basically what DOOM 4 used heavily for inspiration) = Is still the best first person shooter I've ever played, and I've played nearly every first person shooter that ever came out on pc, I revisit updated versions of BRUTAL DOOM on a near yearly basis and still nothing has surpassed it for me as far as FPS go.

Edited by Isundir, 08 January 2016 - 08:07 AM.

Right or wrong, which side are you on, does it even matter if it's on the same coin?

#37 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

Gore warning
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=3SAFSz8yxrE
Doom's got a new trailer, it's coming in may.
This trailer does a great job of illustrating how vibrant the game will look. I also noticed the shotty has a meatier pump than the one in the E3 demo.

#38 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

I don't know about you guys, but Doom, until proven otherwise, is my most anticipated non-exclusive game this year.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#39 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

I don't know about you guys, but Doom, until proven otherwise, is my most anticipated non-exclusive game this year.

If I wasn't such a huge Mass Effect Fanboy, it would be.

But, it's not.  It's definitely in the top 5, though.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#40 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

If I wasn't such a huge Mass Effect Fanboy, it would be.

But, it's not.  It's definitely in the top 5, though.

>implying ME: A actually stands a chance of releasing this year. I have it pegged for a delay into spring 2017 at just about any time now.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users