Photo

Final Fantasy VII (and those other games named Final Fantasy)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

Hnng, I really need to reinstall Dying Light at some point.

Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase posted a four-minute interview discussing the FFVII remakes new battle system.

I can't say the new game is completely action-based, but it has more of that element and real-time than the previous game. However, what makes Final Fantasy and RPG different from other games is that the players have the ability to choose weapons, capabilities, and magic to be stratgetic-minded, so while the new game has more real-time element, it will also maintain that strategy building element, balancing these two factors perfectly to enhance the gaming experience.

Hopefully we'll see some more gameplay in the near future, particularly relating to the Limit Break system. I wouldn't expect a release date until E3 2016/17.

PS. Don't level Aerith.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#2 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

PS. Don't level Aerith.

Why does she die or something?

#3 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,867 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

SPOILER TAGS, PEOPLE!!! :o :o :o

You are all temp-banned for a week.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#4 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:10 PM

SPOILER TAGS, PEOPLE!!! :o :o :o

You are all temp-banned for a week.

And guess what? SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! :P

#5 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,910 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

You guys are going to want to sit down for this one:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

I'm always happy for a chance to use my favourite gif ever:

RzvUPaQ.gif

Episodic? They're Half-Life-3-ing it? God, Square-Enix just makes the most sound, logical business decisions, don't they? Truly one of the most level-headed companies in the industry. Come E3 2025 we're all going to be saying "Where was FFVII Episode 3!?"

On the plus side, that FFVII PC port is now out on PS4, and I've actually been thinking about buying it. They included a turbo mode that accelerates the game to 3x normal speed so you can blast through all the JRPG grindiness, and I'm thinking it might finally be time to finish that game (I got all the way up to parachuting into Midgar before my PS2 threw a fit and started freezing at cutscenes back in the day).

EDIT - 

rRt7Q5o.png

Translation: "We were going to just put it on multiple discs, but we knew you jabronis would pay $60 apiece. Suck a butt, Square Enix out."

#6 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:07 PM

You guys are going to want to sit down for this one:

I'm always happy for a chance to use my favourite gif ever:

RzvUPaQ.gif

Episodic? They're Half-Life-3-ing it? God, Square-Enix just makes the most sound, logical business decisions, don't they? Truly one of the most level-headed companies in the industry. Come E3 2025 we're all going to be saying "Where was FFVII Episode 3!?"

On the plus side, that FFVII PC port is now out on PS4, and I've actually been thinking about buying it. They included a turbo mode that accelerates the game to 3x normal speed so you can blast through all the JRPG grindiness, and I'm thinking it might finally be time to finish that game (I got all the way up to parachuting into Midgar before my PS2 threw a fit and started freezing at cutscenes back in the day).

EDIT - 

rRt7Q5o.png

Translation: "We were going to just put it on multiple discs, but we knew you jabronis would pay $60 apiece. Suck a butt, Square Enix out."

I'm not a Final Fantasy fan in the first place and I still hate this. Releasing more than one game for a remake? If I wanted to play Final Fantasy VII so badly, I'd just borrow my friend's PS2. 

Seriously, what's wrong with multi-disc games anymore? Hell, charge $80 for one big package if you have to, that's still better than releasing 5 different games so you can play one old one in HD. 

It makes even less sense when you consider that you can digitally download like every game now. Seriously, unless the memory required to play that game is like 1 TB, it makes no sense to release it in multiple parts. 

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#7 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

On one hand...quicker release? (HehehehehahahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, right.)

On the other hand, they're REALLY trying to keep that nostalgia alive. The original FFVII came on 3 discs, remember :P. Except we didn't have to pay for each one.

EDIT: Also, This is all probably bologna, but I'm positively appalled that they would dare suggest a certain game might finally see the light of day. For reals this time.

Probably not though. I've lost hope of ever seeing Final Fantasy VI release for PC. I'd bet this Half Life 3 thing (Does anyone even know what that is?) will come out before that does.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#8 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

On the Final Fantasy VII front, only Square Enix could find a way to release a remake as episodic content. That's absolutely insane. I'm somewhat impressed, but mostly appalled. The sad part is that it will work too, because Final Fantasy VII is one of those games, the kind people will just throw money at. I just...I'm at a total loss for words. Talk about milking a franchise.

As for that steam list, that -is- very interesting. Especially Danganronpa. I was really, really hoping those would find their way on something other than a Vita. I've been really itching to play those. Also, if Steins;Gate gets on steam, you guys have no excuse for not playing it. Seriously, it's one of the best stories ever and you're all missing out if you miss it. :)

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#9 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:39 PM

It means instead of concluding in one entry, multiple entries are being considered in development. Each entry will have its own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-sized game.

I love how they say that as though what constitutes a "full-sized game" has been clearly defined. It used to be that for a story-based JRPG, you'd get the entire story in one package. Why do that when instead you can break it up into 3 pieces? I mean, what did you want for sixty dollars? A defined beginning, middle, and end? We were so entitled back then. 

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#10 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

FFVII's director has explained why the game will be episodic.

For many years, people around the world have asked me “Will you ever remake FINAL FANTASY VII?” For many years I gave the same answers and on a personal level, having made the original FINAL FANTASY VII, did I really want to spend so many years making the same game again?

With FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, we have the opportunity to go beyond the story, world and experience of FINAL FANTASY VII in ways we’ve always dreamed of - from the depths of Midgar to the skies above the Planet. The multi-part format enables us to expand the original story and turn it into an epic experience for fans and new gamers alike.

[...]

One thing that we wanted to be clear about during this weekend to accompany the new trailer was the scale of this project. We wanted to tell you this now and not in the future so that you’d share our vision for what we want to deliver. The biggest reason why we haven’t done a remake until now is because it’s a massive undertaking to reconstruct FINAL FANTASY VII from the ground up with the current technology. Producing a proper HD remake of FINAL FANTASY VII that maintains the same feeling of density of the original would result in a volume of content that couldn’t possibly fit into one instalment.

We’ve seen everyone’s comments and reactions to the news that FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be a multi-part series and many have speculated correctly as to the reason why we have made this decision. If we were to try to fit everything from the original into one remake instalment, we would have to cut various parts and create a condensed version of FINAL FANTASY VII. We knew none of you would have wanted that.

I hope that by explaining a little more about our design decisions that you can appreciate the size of this project and what we have planned for this remake. Going beyond the scale and depth of the world, narrative and gameplay from the original to deliver something that feels familiar yet new.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#11 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

I've never played a Final Fantasy game so I can't say I care. Stupid JRPGs with stupid hair and stupid clothes....
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#12 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

I've never played a Final Fantasy game so I can't say I care. Stupid AWESOME JRPGs with stupid AWESOME Hair and stupid AWESOME clothes....

Fixed some typos for you.

Truly, there is nothing better than Maester Seymour.

FFX2Seymour.jpg

His design is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. But really, that's such a minor problem in the grand scheme of issues with Final Fantasy X's story...

On a more serious note, there are plenty of JRPGs that bulk that trend. Things like Persona, Shadow Hearts, Lost Odyssey, Bravely Default, and Final Fantasy IX tend to be far less...wonderfully silly. :P

In response to the Final Fantasy VII trouble, I think it speaks to a problem of the games industry today when a game that was released in 1997 contained too much content to be released today. 

#13 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

See, I never minded the art style in most JRPGs (with a few... reasonable exceptions), I just never liked the gameplay in a lot of them. Felt... weird. Not bad, and I can see why it would appeal to a lot of people, just never really clicked for me. Guess it just didn't feel quite right to have combat separated out from regular running around in the way that it is. To each their own though.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#14 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

Have you tried Chrono Trigger on the SNES? Battles would occur right on the map as you ran around. 

Here's an example from very early on, before you got party members.

Secret of Mana (also on the SNES) did something similar, but it was more like a 2D Zelda battle system. You could even have your friends play as your party members.

Imagine that. Local Co-op in a video game. The 90s were amazing.

#15 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

Some JRPGs are better than others. I just don't like how some of them are very linear. Like in the case of FF13, it's a giant corridor simulator. :P

Final Fantasy XIII is barely a video game, let alone a JRPG. But that's a discussion for a different topic. 

#16 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

If I was a mod I would totally change the name of this topic to Final Hallway XIII right now. 

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#17 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

Or "How I learned to stop worrying and love JRPGs."

#18 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

I remember trying a friends copy FF XIII and complaining it was boring. My friend assured me that it gets better after the first 10 hours or so. If a game respects my time so little, that it expects me to play for several before getting decent, I won't play it.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#19 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

I remember trying a friends copy FF XIII and complaining it was boring. My friend assured me that it gets better after the first 10 hours or so. If a game respects my time so little, that it expects me to play for several before getting decent, I won't play it.

It's closer to 20 hours actually.

#20 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

POPULAR

Because capitalism.

FlTYRLJl.jpg

Couldn't resist. :P

Final Fantasy XIII is barely a video game, let alone a JRPG. But that's a discussion for a different topic. 

ApGEN88.gif

That is also true.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users