Photo

The Fallout Topic: Hop on the Nuka-Express for a trip to Nuka World.

• Please log in to reply
511 replies to this topic

#21 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

I like all of the 'main' series Fallout games. I'm an uncultured peasant, and I can't stand the turn-based gameplay of Fallout 1 and 2, but I still like them enough to try them.

I can't help but feel the elitism is strong here today. For all of their flaws, the Bethesda-published Fallouts, and their games in general, are near the tip top of my gaming pantheon simply because how much I enjoyed myself with them. And if one can't understand how or why I did so without mods to make those nightmare doll-faced NPCs less plastic looking, then I can safely say the flaw isn't on my end.

EDIT: Also, I might be a little biased. Fallout 3 kept me sane the months I spent bedridden post-spinal surgery in late 08-early 09. Those were some rough times, and roaming the capital wasteland was a godsend of a respite.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#22 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

Ah yes, the Great Spinal Suffering of '09. I remember those days well. Many an ear suffered through a constant stream of sailor-shaming curses, drum-shattering screeches and agonising moans. It was a dark time for all of us. Few now remain to tell the tale.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#23 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

I like all of the 'main' series Fallout games. I'm an uncultured peasant, and I can't stand the turn-based gameplay of Fallout 1 and 2, but I still like them enough to try them.

I can't help but feel the elitism is strong here today. For all of their flaws, the Bethesda-published Fallouts, and their games in general, are near the tip top of my gaming pantheon simply because how much I enjoyed myself with them. And if one can't understand how or why I did so without mods to make those nightmare doll-faced NPCs less plastic looking, then I can safely say the flaw isn't on my end.

EDIT: Also, I might be a little biased. Fallout 3 kept me sane the months I spent bedridden post-spinal surgery in late 08-early 09. Those were some rough times, and roaming the capital wasteland was a godsend of a respite.

In that case you may find it exciting to know Fallout 1 is being remade for Fallout New Vegas ;) (but it's also likely you already know this, thought it was worth a mention though.)

Right or wrong, which side are you on, does it even matter if it's on the same coin?

#24 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

• Nova Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:04 PM

I got started on the series in Fallout 3, and I've played and like all of them (except for 2 and Tactics which I have but haven't played yet).  Fallout 3 is definitely my least favorite, but hopefully Bethesda learned some things from Obsidian even though its unlikely.

Also: I hope Three Dog returns or at least has a cameo, he was cool.

#25 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

For the record, most people in the Fallout 1/2 camp are also in the New Vegas camp, because New Vegas was developed by Obsidian, a company created by developers formerly from Black Isle, which was the company that developed Fallout 1/2. So basically, New Vegas was made by the Fallout 1/2 guys. so it nicely invalidates the "nostalgia goggles" argument *cough*

Just pointing that out because a lot of people don't know it. Carry on. :P

I am aware, New Vegas is pretty much my favorite and for a large part it has to to with that fact, still as I mentioned before somewhere Bethesda did do a great job on the atmosphere of 3 and I greatly enjoyed roaming around the capitol wasteland making my own stories :) and from what the teaser/trailer has showed us I think I'll have a lot of fun just roaming around the Boston wasteland making my own stories again ^_^

Right or wrong, which side are you on, does it even matter if it's on the same coin?

#26 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

No, I did not know about that project. I will add that to 'Spark's book-sized list of things to do once he builds his PC later this year'.

Now, onwards from negativity, regarding the premise of the game...

I'd like to know the context of how we're supposedly going to open the game as the bombs are falling. Does Vault 111 deal with cryostasis or something?

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

#27 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:21 PM

I got started on the series in Fallout 3, and I've played and like all of them (except for 2 and Tactics which I have but haven't played yet).  Fallout 3 is definitely my least favorite, but hopefully Bethesda learned some things from Obsidian even though its unlikely.

Fully agreed, although you're forgetting (or perhaps haven't heard of) what's probably the true worst Fallout game:

Spoiler

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#28 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

• Nova Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

Another idea: What if the dog in the trailers is Dogmeat from Fallout 3, which could be true because unlike the Dogmeats in fallout 1/3 who couldn't of been the same dog cause of the time the game is set in/distance, this dog is in Boston which isn't far away at all from DC. 

Time to go play all the fallout games in preparation!

EDIT: ^Oh yeah, I thankfully haven't even played that one, heh.

#29 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

Fully agreed, although you're forgetting (or perhaps haven't heard of) what's probably the true worst Fallout game:

t0TlFm3.gif

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#30 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Another idea: What if the dog in the trailers is Dogmeat from Fallout 3, which could be true because unlike the Dogmeats in fallout 1/3 who couldn't of been the same dog cause of the time the game is set in/distance, this dog is in Boston which isn't far away at all from DC. 
Time to go play all the fallout games in preparation!

Maybe I'm misreading but since when was Dogmeat a German Shepard?
What if Rise Had an RTS Game Based Off It for its many factions? Ideas Here:
Rise and Conquer: Compiled
Check out my Youtube channel for occasional casts and voice clips.

#31 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

• Nova Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

Maybe I'm misreading but since when was Dogmeat a German Shepard?

I dunno, Fallout 3 Dogmeat and the dog in the trailer looked the same to me, but I'm not good with dog species so maybe I'm totally wrong.

#32 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

I dunno, Fallout 3 Dogmeat and the dog in the trailer looked the same to me, but I'm not good with dog species so maybe I'm totally wrong.

Dogmeat is an Australian Cattle Dog, in reference to Dog from Mad Max 2. The trailer dog looks like it's a German Shepard, like mirage mentioned, thought they are kinda similar so I can see how that mistake is easy to make.

Personally I'm still hoping for an Australian Shepherd to show up as a canine companion, but that's mainly because they're my favorite breed ever.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#33 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

• Nova Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

Dogmeat is an Australian Cattle Dog, in reference to Dog from Mad Max 2. The trailer dog looks like it's a German Shepard, like mirage mentioned, thought they are kinda similar so I can see how that mistake is easy to make.

Personally I'm still hoping for an Australian Shepherd to show up as a canine companion, but that's mainly because they're my favorite breed ever.

Oh well nevermind then. Still it would of been cool...

Unrelated, I hope the companions are actual characters, and not just packmules with one defining character trait (I'm a robot, I used to be a raider, ect...) that you have to be good, evil, or neutral to recruit like in Fallout 3 (with the sole exception of Fawkes).

#34 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

Just realised that was a re-orchestrated version of Fallout 3's main theme in the trailer. Holy hell.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#35 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

I love how disliking games with incoherent plots, terrible writing, and ridiculous "moral dilemmas" is "elitism" now.

2004-2018

#36 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

I love how disliking games with incoherent plots, terrible writing, and ridiculous "moral dilemmas" is "elitism" now.

But there's a difference between actual dislike, and the kneejerk, violent negativity (that wouldn't be out of place on a certain cesspool of the internet) emanating from every orifice of the net over this announcement today. It's not specifically here. But some people's comments reek of the following sentiment, and it irks me.

For an example: On reddit, there's an overwhelming sentiment that you had to mod the crap out of FO3 to enjoy it, and that's simply not true.

I'm not a master orator, and I cannot articulate a coherent reason why I can defend the series, or the direction Bethesda has taken it. But I can come up with a decent enough reason that's fairly simple. There's simply a lack of Post-apoc content on the consoles atm. Sure, the Metro Redux is out there, but dammit man, I want my cheesy 50s aesthetic dark humor wasteland shenanigans.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#37 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

But there's a difference between actual dislike, and the kneejerk, violent negativity (that wouldn't be out of place on a certain cesspool of the internet) emanating from every orifice of the net over this announcement today. It's not specifically here. But some people's comments reek of the following sentiment, and it irks me.

For an example: On reddit, there's an overwhelming sentiment that you had to mod the crap out of FO3 to enjoy it, and that's simply not true.

I'm not a master orator, and I cannot articulate a coherent reason why I can defend the series, or the direction Bethesda has taken it. But I can come up with a decent enough reason that's fairly simple. There's simply a lack of Post-apoc content on the consoles atm. Sure, the Metro Redux is out there, but dammit man, I want my cheesy 50s aesthetic dark humor wasteland shenanigans.

It's not really kneejerk if F3 was garbage.

Which it was.

You liked it. That's great for you. It's still objectively bad.

Until and unless there's any reason to think F4 won't be more of the same, people should be cynical about it.

2004-2018

#38 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

Well, they dropped the atrocious goopy-green filter, and went for interesting visual design, even if the visuals aren't great that's still a huge point in Beth's favour. If they learned from Obsidian and NV about how decision making in RPGs actually works, we could have a very good game on our hands.

I certainly have my doubts after the pile of lukewarm mediocrity that was Skyrim, but I'd prefer to wait for some real info.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#39 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

I'll be cynical when I personally see something that rubs me the wrong way. So far, FO4 has failed to do so for me. But yet, there's nothing that's wow'd me yet. So while I'm on the whole optimistic for the project, I do intend to keep an ambivalent opinion until the game is on my screen, and a controller is in my hand.

But I refuse to act like the game is doomed to fail before it even releases, lest it becomes a self-fufilling prophecy.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#40 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

I'll be cynical when I personally see something that rubs me the wrong way. So far, FO4 has failed to do so for me. But yet, there's nothing that's wow'd me yet. So while I'm on the whole optimistic for the project, I do intend to keep an ambivalent opinion until the game is on my screen, and a controller is in my hand.

But I refuse to act like the game is doomed to fail before it even releases, lest it becomes a self-fufilling prophecy.

The sad fact is that Skyrim caused my crusty, grinchy heart to shrink three sizes that day with it's gameplay, and my excitement at a Bethesda released tends to be overshadowed by my cynicism at what they're going to do to 'casualize' it, for lack of a better word.

I can't even say I rightfully hate F3, the number of hours I've put in speak for themselves, but it's fairly clear that their writers have no idea at what they're doing.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users