Photo

Next Gen. Games

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

It's pretty much the most metal thing ever.

• Nova Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'd like to see more focus on getting the story and the gameplay to sync up (a la Half-Life 2, but with more compelling gameplay and story).

I'd also like to see a fricking FPS with a character I actually care about. I can't think of a single character in any FPS I've ever played where I would be legitimately saddened if they were killed. The closest they've come is probably the characters in Half-Life 2, but they're just far enough inside the uncanny valley that I can't get into it.

ponyavatar.jpg

#42 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Ending of Bioshock 1. Technically
Spoiler
made me super sad.

Yeah, I really like the game. Leave me alone.

giphy.gif

#43 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

I really enjoyed the story behind BioShock, but it felt like a chore than anything else to complete it. I couldn't even get passed the beginning of number two. Not because it was difficult, but because I got bored.

gdV21HZ.gif

#44 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

You know that weird co-op campaign mode in Tekken?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkjmPFNZjcQ&feature=related
[Note: This video hardly does it any justice. The player didn't know how to use the incredibly simple targeting mechanic, but I'm just trying to brew some familiarity.]

Yeah, this thing. They totally need this for Soul Calibur (Obviously a cleaned-up dedicated version. I mean it's fun and all but purdy clunky). They need it so hard. Carving through mobs of undead knights/generic men-at-arms as your favorite SC fighter would just be a dream-come-true for me, and combined with some sort of survival mode? Awwww yeah.

I really enjoyed the story behind BioShock, but it felt like a chore than anything else to complete it. I couldn't even get passed the beginning of number two. Not because it was difficult, but because I got bored.

Yeah, I can't help but feel the same about it. Don't get me wrong, everything about it rocks but I've hardly sunk any hours into it because, for lack of a better word, really does feel more like a chore than a compelling mission for survival.

Edited by Le Capitaine, 31 January 2012 - 11:08 PM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#45 Azoth

Azoth

Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

• 1,314 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

I'd like to see more focus on getting the story and the gameplay to sync up (a la Half-Life 2, but with more compelling gameplay and story).

I'd also like to see a fricking FPS with a character I actually care about. I can't think of a single character in any FPS I've ever played where I would be legitimately saddened if they were killed. The closest they've come is probably the characters in Half-Life 2, but they're just far enough inside the uncanny valley that I can't get into it.

You've never played Republic Commando, have you?

Posted Image

#46 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

It's pretty much the most metal thing ever.

• Nova Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

You've never played Republic Commando, have you?

Yes, actually (not all of it, but quite a bit). And I thought the characters were about the most boring sort of Spartan-esque, faceless archetypes with personalities defined entirely by their one prefered combat ability (see also, Halo Reach).

In order for me to care about the characters in an FPS (or any game, or work of fiction, really), FPS devs are going to have to do something a little differently.

- Show me that they have lives and interests besides GRRRR KILL ENEMIES DEAD (like actual people - this is why clones, Spartans, etc., are so boring to me).
- Create characters with real, complex personalities instead of personalities defined by a single trait.
- Stop depicting them ALL as these noble machines who would jump on a grenade to save their squadmates or whatever.
- Show me relationships with other characters that don't all have to do with killing themselves to save each other (see my previous point).
- Get in touch with Bryan Lee O'Malley and figure out just what the hell he did that made his characters so interesting, because they're probably the best I've seen in a work of fiction.

Basically what I'm saying is, they need to actually feel like real people before I'm going to be interested in them. A character that literally does nothing but eat, sleep, and shoot at bad guys might be fun to play as, but I could care less about him. Ordinary people in extraordinary situations have always been, and will always be, the most fun to read about, watch, or play as.

ponyavatar.jpg

#47 Azoth

Azoth

• 1,314 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:12 AM

Yes, actually (not all of it, but quite a bit). And I thought the characters were about the most boring sort of Spartan-esque, faceless archetypes with personalities defined entirely by their one prefered combat ability (see also, Halo Reach).

In order for me to care about the characters in an FPS (or any game, or work of fiction, really), FPS devs are going to have to do something a little differently.

- Show me that they have lives and interests besides GRRRR KILL ENEMIES DEAD (like actual people - this is why clones, Spartans, etc., are so boring to me).
- Create characters with real, complex personalities instead of personalities defined by a single trait.
- Stop depicting them ALL as these noble machines who would jump on a grenade to save their squadmates or whatever.
- Show me relationships with other characters that don't all have to do with killing themselves to save each other (see my previous point).
- Get in touch with Bryan Lee O'Malley and figure out just what the hell he did that made his characters so interesting, because they're probably the best I've seen in a work of fiction.

Interesting. I guess you'd have to play the entire thing to get what I was going for. Personally, I thought the Commandos were pretty personalized. For clones, anyway. You've got the joker, the SRS BISNIS guy, and the total tank who doesn't give a crap about anything. But yeah, you can't expect clones to have great lives and interests, but for me I felt attached to them by the end of the game.

Posted Image

#48 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

Battlefield 3's campaign, linear as it is, has some pretty good characters and voice acting. It's handled much better than Call of Duty.

xgd0s9.jpg

#49 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

Battlefield 3's campaign, linear as it is, has some pretty good characters and voice acting. It's handled much better than Call of Duty.

Yeah, I was particulary fond of the Dinosaur bit.
Old timer

#50 Night Shadow VI

Night Shadow VI

Don't Tase Me Bro!

• 508 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

"Miller stop playing around"
Posted Image

#51 Irondrone 4

Irondrone 4

Omnissiah be praised; I have a Servoskull!

• 2,262 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

I actually liked Yuri from Modern Warfare 3. Despite only existing for that single game, I really did feel that he wants retribution for everything he and Makarov did. I actually saw a man go from a Russian ultranationalist to a man hell-bent on avenging those that his actions have hurt, and he's willing to do anything to kill the man who misguided him. As for every other FPS I've ever played, I've never felt that sort of connection, but Yuri stood out because he actually had a personal motivation. That might sound a little cliche, but when I compare Yuri to every other faceless shooter hero I've played I've just seen blank slates waiting for the player to fill in for them. It might be my lack of exposure to more interesting characters, but he seems to have an actual goal; most heroes just wander around and shoot stuff until someone tells them what to do.

Aside from Yuri's revenge, the only other thing that stands out to me about Modern Warfare 3 is the survival mode; I defy you to play a handful of rounds and say that it isn't addicting.

Edited by Irondrone 4, 01 February 2012 - 07:33 AM.

SSLF's Resident Extraterrestrial

Future Emperor of the Known Universe

#52 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

You know that weird co-op campaign mode in Tekken?

Know it? I'm so good at it. I only have Nightmare Train to beat. It's impossible. By the time I get to Devil, we're both already weakened (or she's dead) so it's just me trying to knock him off the train.

It's very difficult to put life into a 1st-person character because the entire purpose was to make the 1st-person you. No barriers. Gaming moved away from 'You're the Doom Marine' to 'You're Gordon Freeman' to 'You're Artyom'.

Metro 2033 did a very good job in my book. The few characters you meet with names make you sad to lose or excited to see again. They use journals and outside influences to guide your character. There's moral choices but still.

giphy.gif

#53 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

I couldn't help but take a peek in here and I noticed a lot of people wishing there was a medieval FPS.

If you haven't heard of it, you gusy should check out the Half life 2 Mod Age of Chivalry. It lacks mounted combat, but that's what the Mount & Blade series is for.

Also, I just (and I mean just) looked up Age of Chivalry on google, and found this awesome thing: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

JUST LOOK AT THAT. SO KEWL.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#54 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

Not to be a Negative Nancy or anything, but I don't like how that game looks. At all. I feel that I could get the same level of satisfaction from playing Skyrim. However, for an indie game it's pretty cool. But it kinda looks like... you know... "go around and kill stuff, sorry, but that's about it". Know what I'm saying?

gdV21HZ.gif

#55 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

But it kinda looks like... you know... "go around and kill stuff, sorry, but that's about it". Know what I'm saying?

That's kinda the whole point of it. :lol: Though the major point is the way melee works (Apart from something approaching the Warband system they've also added a bunch of other techniques, such as kicking and sprinting attacks to bust blocks and force openings.)

nY1rpGl.gif

#56 Azoth

Azoth

• 1,314 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:50 AM

Here's one thing that I would really, really freakin' love and pay lots of money for: a fantasy FPS. Something like the now-deceased Project Offset. It would be so relieving to get a shooter that isn't set in either 2020 or 2500. Give me an epic high-fantasy FPS and I'll be set for life.

Make it happen, devs.

Posted Image

#57 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

@Klaykid: Like Le Capitaine said, Skyrim has only, like, one direction of melee attack. The Age of Chivalry series (Age of Chivalry, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare) have at least four different directions of attack. Also, no silly fantasy creatures. Just manly flesh, blood, and well-tempered steel.

@Azoth: You mean like modern day orcs and trolls and magic and elves etc. with guns? Kinda like the Magicka Vietnam Mission?

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#58 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

I'm waiting for some more WW2 games. Jeez, we had a bajillion and now none? You're killing me here. :P

giphy.gif

#59 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm waiting for some more WW2 games. Jeez, we had a bajillion and now none? You're killing me here. :P

I'd like to see a World War II game from the German perspective. I mean, there's a billion about American. British, even Soviet perspective, but I would love to see one from the point of view of the Germans or Japanese.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#60 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'd like to see a World War II game from the German perspective. I mean, there's a billion about American. British, even Soviet perspective, but I would love to see one from the point of view of the Germans or Japanese.

Yeah, because killing Jews seems like a great way to sell a game. :rolleyes:
Old timer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users