17 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

POPULAR

I've been working all day on a new site menu that doesn't use Flash.

To make sure it works well on a variety of machines (PC, Mac, tablet, phone, whatever you're using), I would like you guys to help me test it! Please visit the following pages and see if the new menu is working correctly on each:If the menu seems to work okay on all those pages, please reply or "Like" this post as confirmation.

If you encounter any issues (besides the ones listed below), please post a reply with details. Thanks!

Known browser issues:
Chrome: The glow effect on the buttons takes a while to appear when scrolling over.
Internet Explorer: The glow effect on the buttons takes a while to disappear when scrolling away.
Firefox: None!

(R.I.P. cool sketch loading animation)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#2 Lord English

Lord English

You're DARN TOOTIN i love to roughhouse!!!

• Nova Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

I checked with my ipad just now, and it looks fine.

rsz_1gebwrhyswjipiqhompdmu0yecrcevjcvkpr

All Hail the Emperor and Senate of the Byzantine Empire

#3 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I've been working all day on a new site menu that doesn't use Flash.
Chrome: The glow effect on the buttons takes a while to appear when scrolling over.

Well I use chrome, and the problem is the banner. It says Adobe Flash Player was blocked, and I get an option to update the plug-in or run this time. Never had this problem before.
Also, the glow effect problem is not a problem for me.

Edit: So sad about the lack of the sketch animated thingy. ;_;

Edited by Ouflah, 23 February 2013 - 12:35 PM.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#4 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Well I use chrome, and the problem is the banner. It says Adobe Flash Player was blocked, and I get an option to update the plug-in or run this time. Never had this problem before.

Which page is this happening on, exactly? The forums? The home page? All of them?

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#5 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I checked all that stuff both on my computer and tablet, and it all seems good!

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#6 Trik Toral

Trik Toral

Browning Perfection

• Nova Member
  • 698 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I'm not entirely sure how this kind of stuff works, but I just noticed 2 things a bit out of the ordinary. (Using Chrome BTW)
1. When I click the mousewheel on a menu option to open it in a new tab, the letters turn black with a yellow outline and stay that way until I click another menu option, which does the same thing.
2. When I just normally click on a menu option, the words momentarily turn into the unavailable picture thumbnail (not sure what its really called) as the page is loading. It also sometimes happens to more than one link, like I click on the forums option and the accessories, instructions and forums links all get the broken thumbnail for half a second as the page loads.
Posted Image
Come visit us at the Firearms topic in the Nova board!
If your not a Nova you can still check out my blog "Firearm of the Week" (On indefinite hiatus)

You can follow the progress of the Magnet implanted in my fingertip and my newfound superpowers by checking out my Magnetic Blog!

#7 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Which page is this happening on, exactly? The forums? The home page? All of them?

Well I remember it being all of them, but as I check now it's only the forums. Weird.

gTAoKX.gif

#8 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

Thanks to everyone who's responded! Really, out of all the people who were online last night, only this many could be bothered to load a few web pages and click a "like" button? Tsk tsk tsk. Here's +100 rep to everyone who helped out.

I'm not entirely sure how this kind of stuff works, but I just noticed 2 things a bit out of the ordinary. (Using Chrome BTW)
1. When I click the mousewheel on a menu option to open it in a new tab, the letters turn black with a yellow outline and stay that way until I click another menu option, which does the same thing.
2. When I just normally click on a menu option, the words momentarily turn into the unavailable picture thumbnail (not sure what its really called) as the page is loading. It also sometimes happens to more than one link, like I click on the forums option and the accessories, instructions and forums links all get the broken thumbnail for half a second as the page loads.

You can click the mouse wheel to open stuff in a new tab?! Wow. Anyway, that's no problem. The buttons are meant to turn black when clicked.

But the second thing is a bit annoying, and I noticed it myself last night. Only seems to happen in Chrome. Right now Chrome is by far the most unstable browser for the new menu. It works smooth as silk in Firefox. I'll have to keep tweaking, I guess. Bah!

I really don't understand where Ouflah's issue could be coming from... Anyone else getting that?

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#9 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

I really don't understand where Ouflah's issue could be coming from... Anyone else getting that?

It's very possible that my flash is out of date, but I doubt it because it just only started happening recently. I'll mess around with my computer a bit; see if I can find a solution.

EDIT: Google Chrome accidentally disabled my flash, sorry. How that happened, I have no idea. :blink:

So yeah, that's fixed. No other problems on my end! ^_^

Edited by Ouflah, 24 February 2013 - 06:58 AM.

gTAoKX.gif

#10 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

No glow effect on iPod touch. Button works, but letters just disappear before page changes.

Firefox seems to work fine on my pc.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#11 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

overall it works fine on chrome, a little laggy but i think that's my computer acting up
will be testing it on both an android and apple portable device thingy in :)

(also I do miss the cool saber scorp animation)

mudkip.png

#12 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Getting to this late, but it's totally working for me.

But I miss the figure loading image... :( It still looks great though.

#13 Tr0jin H0rse

Tr0jin H0rse

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthorpist

• Nova Member
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

I haven't had any problems on mobile as of yet, so that's all good.

R.I.P. Scorp animation...

#14 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

The reason I had to get rid of the animation is because so many systems - especially mobile ones, like iOS and Android - don't play well with Flash. And more and more visitors are using mobile devices these days.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback, guys!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#15 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

It all seems to be working fine for me. Although the size of the menu banner is the issue. I have two Saber-Scorpions because it's repeating itself. Although this is due to the fact that my internet browser's zoom is set to 90% because I like smaller text. When I switched to 100% it looked fine. Not really an issue, I know, but I thought I would mention it.

You can click the mouse wheel to open stuff in a new tab?! Wow. Anyway, that's no problem. The buttons are meant to turn black when clicked.

I think he means that when he clicks a button with the mouse-wheel, the link turns black and then stays black, even though he's still on the page because he just opeded the new page in a new tab. Because that also happens to me. Did that make sense?

EDIT: The new version also works great on my Windows 7 phone(Which doesn't support flash. It uses silverlight.)

Edited by Amarok, 26 February 2013 - 09:10 AM.

emily-blunt.gif

#16 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

On my android samsung galaxy s (1st version) it just pulls up the forums through blogspot, and it doesnt have anything similar to your non-mobile page

mudkip.png

#17 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

The main looks the same however, just as a sugestion, consider scaling the page down, I have to zoom to see the lettering

mudkip.png

#18 Spartanmonkey285

Spartanmonkey285

Get to tha CHOPPA!!!

• 27 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Works better on my mac G4 now (incredibly old I know but I have a new monitor which makes it the same quality as my Imac)
Also It looks fine on the mobile version on my Iphone (4) so Im happy!

OOH WA-AH-AH-AH!!

Mah flickr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSL Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users