NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Wulfgard and Magic to Other fantasy universes?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jayhenn

Jayhenn

Valar Morghulis

• 194 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

So after debating with myself whether or not this topic would be a good idea and if it'd be closed, I decided to try anyhow... here it goes. :P

I kind of think Magic should be separate from the Q&A topic, seeing as it's the most hard-to-find or understand in Wulfgard. Whereas in other fantasy realms it's very easily understood/easy to use and seeminggly figuered out and copied just as easily. In Harry Potter for example, wizards need wands or some sort of medium for their powers and in Lord of the rings Gandalf is able to use deadly spells in a split second, no preparation or incantations required.

I don't really know a lot about fictional magic in video games or books, but I would like for the differences Wulfgard has compared to the other fantasy worlds people read about.

Take for example people born with 'The Gift.' Are they born with any raw abilities they can call upon without any practice when they are distressed? Do some spells require mediums such as wand/staffs/runes?

I'm looking for help off everyone here really that knows about other fantasy realms and how magic works there as compared to Wulfgard, which has a low magic setting.

#2 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

I don't really think anyone knows specifically how magic of other settings works compared to Wulfgard. I mean, Scorp and Wolfy know, but given the lack of detail into the mechanics and the fact that we haven't really seen it in action they're pretty much the only ones with any insight on the subject. We saw Fred make use of magic words and runes in Over the Sea, but then again Jacob and Theriot were casting spells in ways that didn't quite match up to that and they didn't get called out on it by Wolfy so...

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#3 Fearful Pinata

Fearful Pinata

Private

• 78 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

I was told that magic can be stored in runes or summoned via vocal chanting and hand gesturing.

Jacob does use words, I just don't describe it very well.. Be kind of repetitive if every fight I said "Makes hand gestures and speaks in a strange tongue"

#4 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

Theriot is a wizard and thus needs spell books and components. Fredrik was a sorcerer, and casted spells using innate abilities. I'm not sure about Jacob, however. That's the extent of my knowledge about Wulfgard magic.

Posted Image

#5 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

The difference between wizards and sorcerers has been giving me something of a headache recently, the only real difference between the two labels from what I understand seems to be the ratio of variety/control to power/lack of prep-time that they have or need. If that's true then there's a huge amount of grey area to be covered between the two. And all this magic discussion had to come out the one weekend Wolfy isn't here, great timing universe. :rolleyes:

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#6 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

The only difference in most settings is that wizards require a life of intense studying to acquire magical abilities, whereas sorcerers do not. Sorcerers are like superheroes to me. They just will something to be done and it's done. Wizards, on the other hand, need to memorize spells from books and need to study a whole bunch and use material components.

In terms of Wulfgard, though, there are a few more differences. Sorcerers don't study because they don't have to, and as a result they're usually restricted to one type of spell casting because they never try to learn new ways. However, because it comes naturally to them, those particular spells are more powerful when used. ;) Wizards are used to the studying, though. This allows them to learn more diverse types of magic, but they probably tire more easily and cast much weaker spells. That's my understanding based on a combination of Wulfgard lore and D&D handbooks.

Posted Image

#7 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Mine too, that's the "ratio" I was talking about. Of course any wizard can just choose to give up trying to learn new spells at any time and focus on the ones they have. So on the one hand they aren't trying to diversify their arsenal any more, but they also have all the study and memorization that brought them that far in the first place, so are they still a wizard or are they a sorcerer?

Edit: Hang on, this should help clear things up if Wolfy comes in here: Is magic in Wulfgard closer to Hermetic or Vancian? Forgive me, linking to "the wiki which must not be named" was the best way I could think of to put it.

#8 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

Mine too, that's the "ratio" I was talking about. Of course any wizard can just choose to give up trying to learn new spells at any time and focus on the ones they have. So on the one hand they aren't trying to diversify their arsenal any more, but they also have all the study and memorization that brought them that far in the first place, so are they still a wizard or are they a sorcerer?

Well I think that in the end, the major difference is that after using his spells, a wizard must return to study his spell book once again before he can use his spells again. When a wizard uses a spell, he loses the magical energy stored in his mind when he first memorized it, so he must memorize the spell again and again. He never permanently has it memorized, no matter how hard he studies. Sorcerers, on the other hand, never have such issues. But this is all D&D-based knowledge, so I'll agree that Wulfgard needs to expand upon it more. I'm not entirely sure what it's like in Werewolf's setting.

Posted Image

#9 Fearful Pinata

Fearful Pinata

Private

• 78 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

Mages in wulfgard grow tired after using spells. I do not think there are different kinds of mages, just mages that can specialize in different things, such as water or fire.

This is what wolfy told me, if I remember correctly.

#10 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

Mages in wulfgard grow tired after using spells. I do not think there are different kinds of mages, just mages that can specialize in different things, such as water or fire.

This is what wolfy told me, if I remember correctly.

If that's true then why does the Lore Archive divide the practitioners up into Sorcerers, Wizards, Priests, Druids, and Shamans, while the actual magics are divided into Elemental, Arcane, Demonic, Divine, and Spiritual?

Edit: Hmm... Methinks a megapost of all the answers received thusfar on magic-related questions asked via the Q&A topic and PM is needed. Once that's done we can draw conclusions from what we've got figure out what gaps need to be filled in.

#11 Fearful Pinata

Fearful Pinata

Private

• 78 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

I don't know.

I asked her all sorts of questions about magic, and I have quoted the responses I received here.

I was not told about Sorcerers, Wizards, Priests, Druids, or Shaman.

Edit:

I may not have known that, but I do know that Wolfy cannot stand D&D rules, so using that as a guideline will probably be very inaccurate.

Edited by Ro Ressan, 03 April 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#12 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Oh *EFF* it, I'll just be working on dissecting how everything works based on the notes I've managed to glean and store in my blog. If anyone else wants to try and sort it out on their own be my guest, everything I've got (plus a few pretty pictures) is in my blog. The six newest entries, you can't miss 'em. I'd provide a link, but I have to view SSLF through a proxy right now, so any links I gave wouldn't work.

Edit: AHA! Forums are working at 100% for me again, good. Here are the links then: 1 2 3 4 5 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users