NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Wylfgard Name Change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one is better? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one is better?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#41 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

And also feel free to say why you think it doesn't sound bad. Because personally I cry inside at the idea of people asking me about how "Wilfgard" is coming or someone in a movie reading their line as "Wilfgard" and no one correcting them (yes I honestly thought that too, sue me). :mellow:

Truly, I've always pronounced the 'correct' way, although that may have to with you explaining how to say it elaborately to someone on one of my first day's here, but still. Alsop really like how it looks, and the name has really grown me.

#42 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

And also feel free to say why you think it doesn't sound bad. Because personally I cry inside at the idea of people asking me about how "Wilfgard" is coming or someone in a movie reading their line as "Wilfgard" and no one correcting them (yes I honestly thought that too, sue me). :mellow:

Hey, when your famous and getting interviewed just say it's ponounced Wolfgard and you won't die a little inside hopefully. I wonder if Scorp will get interviewed for Nova Refuge and I for Dark Edge, hmmmmm... Something to think about in Algebra class. :P
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#43 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

Though after reading Johann's post the possibility of "Ulvgard" intrigues me.

Posted Image

That mind-reading device of yours is working perfectly, my friend. I've been playing with that idea. Though perhaps "Ulfgard" would fit better with the English language. Or maybe "Vargard" :P

Edited by Johann, 17 March 2010 - 12:17 AM.

#44 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

Ulvgard... Not bad.

Maybe "Ulfgard" because I recall a myth about a wolf named "Fenris Ulf."

But on ething that might help, is if you open up to new ideas that aren't "[ancient word for wolf]-gard" It could be a plethora of different things. Things... that I can't think of right now!

#45 Deceptus

Deceptus

Unwashed Villager

• 818 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

But on ething that might help, is if you open up to new ideas that aren't "[ancient word for wolf]-gard" It could be a plethora of different things. Things... that I can't think of right now!

*looks at Wiffleball's avatar*

Lupusgard. Lupus + Guard. Guarded from lupus. That's why it's never lupus.

#46 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

But on ething that might help, is if you open up to new ideas that aren't "[ancient word for wolf]-gard"

Nope, not gonna happen. The whole point is that it's called "Land of the Wolves," because Wylfgard\Wulfgard\Wolfgard is the ancient Shifter name for the mortal realm\Midgard\earth\etc.

Anyway, this decision is about to drive me off the deep end. I want it to be Wylfgard, but I'd hate myself forever if I called it that and then people called it "Wilfgard." -_- So I'm still undecided... sigh.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#47 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:54 AM

Anyway, this decision is about to drive me off the deep end. I want it to be Wylfgard, but I'd hate myself forever if I called it that and then people called it "Wilfgard." -_- So I'm still undecided... sigh.

Why exactly is it so terrible if people pronounce it that way by accident? I mean, it's not what you want it to be called, but they aren't doing it out of malice at least. I just can't see what's so bad about "Wylfgard", what's the point of a different spelling if it sounds the same as something more mundane? And furthermore, what's the point of giving a fantasy world a name that's "properly" pronounced more mundanely than it could be? To me eliminating the option of making a word sound more foreign while making that same word look more foreign is just pretentious.

I'm still for putting Ulvgard on the table as a compromise though.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#48 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

Why exactly is it so terrible if people pronounce it that way by accident?

Maybe it doesn't have the same effect on you, but imagine this: think of a movie. Think of epic, swelling music and a beautiful shot of some warrior on horseback, rearing before his army and raising his sword in the air, shouting, "For Wylfgard!"
First do that with "Wolfgard." And say it aloud just so you know exactly how it would sound.
Then do that with "Wilfgard," also saying it aloud.
And tell me which one gives you chills and which one just makes you want to laugh. For me it's in that same order. That's how I feel about that pronunciation problem, personally. And also if it's pronounced that way, it destroys the word "wolf" even being in the name if you don't see it spelled out, so we might as well just call it Zevgard or Vargard or Ulvgard or some other word for wolf-gard.

I mean, it's not what you want it to be called, but they aren't doing it out of malice at least.

Some people may not be, but I'm sure those who dislike it and want to call it something bad sounding out of malice would jump on the opportunity to call it Wilfgard after I say that's how it's not supposed to be pronounced. I don't really want anyone to have that opportunity whether they're doing it out of a mistake or malice. I like the spelling, but the pronunciation errors still irk me horribly.

I just can't see what's so bad about "Wylfgard", what's the point of a different spelling if it sounds the same as something more mundane? And furthermore, what's the point of giving a fantasy world a name that's "properly" pronounced more mundanely than it could be? To me eliminating the option of making a word sound more foreign while making that same word look more foreign is just pretentious.

I don't see how it's "pretentious," exactly, but whatever.

I'm still for putting Ulvgard on the table as a compromise though.

That... is a bit too unusual - people wouldn't even know what it meant, and besides that, then the Shifters couldn't logically call werewolves 'werewolves,' they'd have to call them something using the term 'ulv' or 'ulf,' which I don't really want.

And here we are, still not at a decision. <_< I'm so tempted to stick with Wylfgard because I like it better, but I still feel so hesitant. Apparently everyone else, pretty much, agrees that we should just stick with Wylfgard... and now it's boiled down to either Wulfgard or Wylfgard. I'll just have to talk to Justin about it some more.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#49 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

What happened to the old Wolfy who would triple warn anyone who would say something like "Wilfgard" or "Wulfgard" out of malice?
Well okay, maybe not that harsh. :P I would just go with Wylfgard if I were you. And when anyone goes to the site (and if they read anything - which they ought to if they're on the site) you can have a little thing on the top that says, "If you pronounce Wylfgard as 'Wilfgard' leave now." And then you could put up the real pronunciation if you want. Like, seriously though. I like Wylfgard that much. :P

#50 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

Maybe it doesn't have the same effect on you, but imagine this: think of a movie. Think of epic, swelling music and a beautiful shot of some warrior on horseback, rearing before his army and raising his sword in the air, shouting, "For Wylfgard!"
First do that with "Wolfgard." And say it aloud just so you know exactly how it would sound.
Then do that with "Wilfgard," also saying it aloud.
And tell me which one gives you chills and which one just makes you want to laugh. For me it's in that same order. That's how I feel about that pronunciation problem, personally. And also if it's pronounced that way, it destroys the word "wolf" even being in the name if you don't see it spelled out, so we might as well just call it Zevgard or Vargard or Ulvgard or some other word for wolf-gard.

Honestly? There's just not a real difference to me. Okay, maybe a little, but not really enough to count for anything. Maybe it's because I'm not really quite as into wolves. And Wylfgard's still a lot easier to make the wolf connection than those others, if only because people would notice the single letter of separation between it and "Wolfgard".

I don't see how it's "pretentious," exactly, but whatever.

Okay, maybe not the best choice of words. It's more like... Like all the "Xtreme Kool Letterz" flying around in the media today that exist only to make words prettier or cooler looking. Sometimes it's okay, but dammit all letters are supposed to represent SPECIFIC SOUNDS, it irks me if that gets tossed away just for appearances with no effect on pronunciation.

Some people may not be, but I'm sure those who dislike it and want to call it something bad sounding out of malice would jump on the opportunity to call it Wilfgard after I say that's how it's not supposed to be pronounced. I don't really want anyone to have that opportunity whether they're doing it out of a mistake or malice. I like the spelling, but the pronunciation errors still irk me horribly.

Well, there's places such as "The Image Board Which Must Not Be Named" and random idiots that would come up with something like that regardless of the name. At least this way if that's the problem they've got some known quality to go for which, in all honesty, isn't that bad compared to some of the other hater nicknames out there.*

Edit@Breeze: Oy, Cydonia's a real location! Albeit one on Mars named after a Greek goddess, but the point still stands! :rolleyes:

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#51 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

Calling it flat "wolfgard" takes the magic out of it, because it's easily analyzed an understood. Being wilf-gard gives it a magical kind of taint without the untraceable weirdness of other made up names. Like Cydonia or something. And besides, naming an entire continent simply after a feared oddity that is known to roam the area seems a little like the old "Sarran wingpatterns on their armor" thing. Wilfgard (wylfgard) goes off the tongue easy, and has a cool appearance. The dipping 'Y' is good for visually retained logos.

That's my in depth thought on the matter.

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#52 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

You guys do realize that by saying "I like the way wilfgard sounds" you're making us lean even more toward Wulfgard, right?

Because even though I don't feel as strongly about it as Maegan, we both kind of disagree with you. Willfgard does not sound cool.
And to think, earlier today I almost had her convinced to just keep Wylfgard and correct people who said it wrong...

And besides, naming an entire continent simply after a feared oddity that is known to roam the area seems a little like the old "Sarran wingpatterns on their armor" thing.

The name W*lfgard was used during the reign of the Shifters, specifically BY the Shifters, because the Wolf Shifters were the most powerful group. Their packs basically ruled the land until humans came along and messed it up. Then the whole war between the gods happened, the Wolf Shifters were cursed to be Werewolves, and the name of W*lfgard is now forgotten except in the very most ancient of lore.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#53 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

Well, I was going to post, but Scorp did it for me - but let me make it perfectly clear...

Fellas, I'm sorry, but when you all act like if we named it Wylfgard you'd always pronounce it as "Wilfgard" because you think it sounds cool, I come one step closer to naming it Wulfgard because I simply hate the way that "Wilfgard" sounds.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#54 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

You guys do realize that by saying "I like the way wilfgard sounds" you're making us lean even more toward Wulfgard, right?

Because even though I don't feel as strongly about it as Maegan, we both kind of disagree with you. Willfgard does not sound cool.
And to think, earlier today I almost had her convinced to just keep Wylfgard and correct people who said it wrong...

Okay, I'm not... Crap, I'm just trying to say that I don't see why one little innocent mispronunciation is such a big deal. Wylfgard looks cooler than Wolfgard and shouldn't be changed simply because it can be said some way that doesn't sound as cool, that's what I'm trying to say.

Dreams of movie stardom aside, let's think reasonably: Which is going to come first in the ultimate scheme, book or film? And in which of those is the visual appeal of the word going to matter more than the sound?

Edit: And I never said it sounded just as cool, just that it didn't seem so detrimental and "what's the point of getting all bent out of shape when people pronounce the 'Y' they way they noramlly would in the first place?"

#55 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

Well, we've pretty much thrown out Wolfgard now.
It's just Wulfgard vs. Wylfgard really.
Heck I'd even go with Ulfgard, but there's already a pretty neat site with that name: http://ulfgard.org/index1.html

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#56 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

Well, we've pretty much thrown out Wolfgard now.
It's just Wulfgard vs. Wylfgard really.
Heck I'd even go with Ulfgard, but there's already a pretty neat site with that name: http://ulfgard.org/index1.html

Okay, that howl completly scared the crap out of me. I had another tab open at the time.

#57 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

Haha, I didn't even know there was a howl. I had it muted at the time. Sorry 'bout that. :P

Also I am editing Wolfgard out of the poll now... it's just Wylfgard vs. Wulfgard. Not that we're going to get much more votes anyway, but just for the sake of argument...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#58 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

I still say Wylfgard for the visual style and subtle joke. Besides, the book's probably going to have some kind of appendix or something with a map and glossary and all that jazz, right? Just put the pronunciation in there, it's as good and cheap a solution as any.

#59 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Also, a little something I wanted to say:

I probably would have gone with Wulfgard from the very beginning if the .com URL had not already been taken. The only reason we chose Wylfgard, really, was that the .com was available. And now we're having second thoughts about that.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#60 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

Okay, that howl completly scared the crap out of me. I had another tab open at the time.

Heh, not me I was listening to Clash of the Titans music from the movie when it came on.
Anyways, I'm leaning over more to Wulfgard but the name doesn't seem to fit with Wolfy considering she's a girl and Wylfgard means land of the she wolves right but Wulfgard seems cooler. I don't know *shrug*
:rolleyes:
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users