NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ATTENTION: Site Sneak-Peek and Wylfgard LEGO Gallery Cleanup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#21 *307*

*307*

Slinkeh Dawg

• 283 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:44 PM

Will it get its own forum or will it just link here?

Posted Image

IS HIATUS DUE TO COMPUTER TROUBLES. WILL BE BACK ASAP!

#22 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

Looks pretty solid, but I don't really like the raven cawing. It seems a bit out of place on the home page. Other than that, I like it!

#23 Iron Corsair

Iron Corsair

Forever Alone

• 1,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (Lightning McCoy @ Jun 21 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really. I don't recall that. ohmy.gif

Maybe it was my imagination. Oh wait, it was the Raven's cawing. tongue.gif Lol, silly me. When I heard it, the sound was turned down on my computer, so I thought it sounded like something else.

#24 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Michaelangelo @ Jun 21 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh jesus, the crow/raven thing scared me. ph34r.gif

I think he's scaring a lot of people. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Internet Batman @ Jun 21 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd suggest that you move the time that it sounds to like, somewhere other then when you open the page. I like the searchlight-thing.

I'll see what Scorp says about that, too - I think it's kinda cool to have him startle people. laugh.gif Searchlight? This is medieval, Crackers - there are no searchlights. It's just kinda a reflection type thing to make it look shiny. tongue.gif

QUOTE (*307* @ Jun 22 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will it get its own forum or will it just link here?

The Forum button will link here, but by the time the Wylfgard site is up, this place will be in the process of being heavily updated to accommodate better for the Wylfgard site and the updated Nova Refuge site with all kinds of new forums and content. wink.gif

QUOTE (Blade-Angel @ Jun 22 2009, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks pretty solid, but I don't really like the raven cawing. It seems a bit out of place on the home page. Other than that, I like it!

Out of place, huh? huh.gif Hm...

QUOTE (Iron Corsair @ Jun 22 2009, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it was my imagination. Oh wait, it was the Raven's cawing. tongue.gif Lol, silly me. When I heard it, the sound was turned down on my computer, so I thought it sounded like something else.

Ah, that explains it. tongue.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#25 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Captain James T. Kirk @ Jun 22 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of place, huh? huh.gif Hm...

Raven's are scavengers, so when I visualise them on the page I see a picture of death, people strung up on crosses. I have a very disturbed mind, I know.

#26 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

Well, Wylfgard is a dark fantasy world (but not dark in that stupid way where 'dark' simply denotes that everything is splattered in blood), considering it is about many of the darker elements of fantasy (such as werewolves), so the raven is fitting in the way that ravens are often associated with death and darkness. wink.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#27 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

I still reckon a kitten would work just as well as the raven. Name it 'gravitycat' and you'd have 100,000+ hits per day tongue.gif.

The frontpage is awesome - I think I'm one of the few people NOT to be scared by the raven, because I accidentaly had my headphones in but not in my ears. When I read about everyone being scared of the cawwing, I put 'em on, and was pleasantly surprised - it adds just that little touch of realism. The whole page is really nice, actually - can't wait for the whole thing to be done biggrin.gif.

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#28 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

Glad you guys are liking the page!

Since the Wylfgard banner represents the most work I've ever put into any Flash project, I figure I'll make a few replies here...

QUOTE (Muffo)
I opened the page and was like, "Snap. A crow." It was pretty scary.

But it gets your attention! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Richard)
You'll display my Fanart, won't you?

Fanart will be displayed via the forum Gallery system, which will be linked to from the Wylfgard web page. I hope to get a Wylfgard skin up for all the WYlfgard sections of the forum, but not yet.

QUOTE (Red Viper)
I think you should tell Scorp to update the Artwork section of saber-scorpion.com. He has so much talent, but feels he has the right not to share it with us.

Ha! More like I just don't develop it often enough. I often feel like I spend far too little time drawing, and it shows on the webpage, with only a few sketches per year and large gaps of several years. I split my time up between too many different things, and I'm always hesitatnt to post artwork anyway, since I never feel like it's finished... I have some art-related projects in the works though. I'm working on some drawn (non-LEGO) comics that I'm trying to get finished before I start posting them (so that new pages will be posted regularly instead of sporadically, and so that there will be an ending instead of just floating in limbo like so many of my projects), and there will be some new Character art in the NR update I'm posting today. And of course there will be Wylfgard artwork. I love drawing medieval/fantasy art - somehow it's just more fun to draw than sci-fi - so expect lots of art for Wylfgard when the site gets launched.

QUOTE (Red Viper)
Why is The Story section on the front page in spanish.

Like Maegan said, the Lorem Ipsum speech is just standard placeholder text in Latin. Here's the Wikipedia page for it if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Lorem_ipsum

QUOTE (Richard)
It sure is purdy, though you might was to make the walls seem more stony.

Hm... can you elaborate?

QUOTE (fire-fox)
the wolf sound would be cool, like howling, and along with that there can be a small wind sound. Also as people scroll over the categories there could be the sword clanging(as said by Muffo).

Yes, I definitely want to add more sounds. Howling wolves and wind were two that we had in mind for sure. As for the button sounds, well, that might make the banner take too long to load (it's already a big file), but I'll see what I can do.

QUOTE (Blade-Angel)
Raven's are scavengers, so when I visualise them on the page I see a picture of death, people strung up on crosses. I have a very disturbed mind, I know.

Of the various fantasy sub-genres that could be attached to Wylfgard, "dark fantasy" and "low fantasy" are two, with "low" meaning "low magic." Wylfgard is a world of ignorant peasants fearing the supernatural forces that they don't understand, like magic and werewolves and monsters and demons, all of which are seen in a negative light by humanity... a negative light that they often, but not always, deserve. So I wanted to make the site dark and scary without resorting to "bleaching" the colors for that manufactured "gritty" feel that so many games and movies go for today.

QUOTE (Grombrindal)
I still reckon a kitten would work just as well as the raven. Name it 'gravitycat' and you'd have 100,000+ hits per day

A cat wouldn't be a bad addition. A black cat prowling up on top of the banner, arching his back and yowling would be excellent. But there are just so many cool animals that would work well with the dark gothic atmosphere that it's impossible to do them all... owls, wolves, black cats, bats, spiders, moths (yes, moths can be creepy if you do them right), snakes...

By the way, did anyone experience problems with lag while viewing the page? Personally, I get heavy lag if the light circle is moving across the main banner at the same time that I'm scrolling over a button. All of the animations get jumpy and slow to a crawl. I guess I need to fix that, but it may involve getting rid of the "searchlight" effect (as Crackers called it)... and I don't really want to do that... *sigh*

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#29 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:10 PM

I'm perfectly fine with the crow/raven, but I think a Magpie would look better, seeing as how crow/ravens are waaaay overdone.

QUOTE (Saber-Scorpion @ Jun 22 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hm... can you elaborate?

Well, perhaps a few more cracks here and there to make it look older?

Edited by Richard, 21 June 2009 - 11:12 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#30 Iron Corsair

Iron Corsair

Forever Alone

• 1,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Saber-Scorpion @ Jun 22 2009, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A cat wouldn't be a bad addition. A black cat prowling up on top of the banner, arching his back and yowling would be excellent. But there are just so many cool animals that would work well with the dark gothic atmosphere that it's impossible to do them all... owls, wolves, black cats, bats, spiders, moths (yes, moths can be creepy if you do them right), snakes...

By the way, did anyone experience problems with lag while viewing the page? Personally, I get heavy lag if the light circle is moving across the main banner at the same time that I'm scrolling over a button. All of the animations get jumpy and slow to a crawl. I guess I need to fix that, but it may involve getting rid of the "searchlight" effect (as Crackers called it)... and I don't really want to do that... *sigh*

Maybe, for each of the different pages you could have those animals. For example, let's say you click on the page 'Characters & Creatures'. You could have, say, a wolf howling, while showing it glaring at the reader, or something like that.

I didn't get any lag when I was on the site. But then again, I only stayed to looked at the little synopsis of the Wylfgard World.

#31 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (Iron Corsair @ Jun 22 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe, for each of the different pages you could have those animals. For example, let's say you click on the page 'Characters & Creatures'. You could have, say, a wolf howling, while showing it glaring at the reader, or something like that.

Hey, wow, that's what I said just a few minutes ago. tongue.gif But that'd be a lot of work... maybe I can talk Scorp into it somehow, though, eventually. th_shiftyninja.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#32 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Captain James T. Kirk @ Jun 22 2009, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, wow, that's what I said just a few minutes ago. tongue.gif But that'd be a lot of work... maybe I can talk Scorp into it somehow, though, eventually. th_shiftyninja.gif

I can do some sketches if you-- Yah! Back! Back, you stupid Ego! Back into your hole! *Smacks Ego with large stick*

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#33 Iron Corsair

Iron Corsair

Forever Alone

• 1,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Captain James T. Kirk @ Jun 22 2009, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heh, you know what they say, great minds think alike. tongue.gif True, that would be a lot of work, that was the only problem I saw with that idea.

#34 Evil Eye Guy

Evil Eye Guy

Too legit to quit

• 1,537 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:01 AM

its r prety kool but it needs moar woman in chane-male bikinis

I guess I really don't have anything to object about, it looks pretty well done so far.

In a world built sky-scraper over slum; the city is about to go UNDER

|D i v i s i o N|

A Cyberpunk Text-Adventure

#35 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:07 AM

It didn't happen for me. The page loaded fine and stayed that way.

Posted Image

#36 Rogue-Brigade

Rogue-Brigade

Helvetios

• 713 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

I personally loved it! The raven was an awesome addition, in frank my opinion. My only complaint was that the buttons were a bit... cartoony. They reminded me a bit of the old AdventureQuest style (solid lines filled with solid colors). I know it's the beta and this problem will probably improve, and that's just a mild pet-peeve. wink.gif Other than that, the site is truly awesome! I also agree that a wolf and some wind added as ambient noise would sound pretty amazing!

Edited by Rogue-Brigade, 22 June 2009 - 05:52 AM.

Posted Image

#37 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (Iron Corsair @ Jun 22 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't get any lag when I was on the site. But then again, I only stayed to looked at the little synopsis of the Wylfgard World.

Dude, I also seriously thought of commenting that, but I came up with same conclusion as wolfy! I thought to myself, 'They have lots of work to do, better not stress them as much.' Wow ohmy.gif

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#38 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (Rogue-Brigade @ Jun 22 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally loved it! The raven was an awesome addition, in frank my opinion. My only complaint was that the buttons were a bit... cartoony. They reminded me a bit of the old AdventureQuest style (solid lines filled with solid colors). I know it's the beta and this problem will probably improve, and that's just a mild pet-peeve. wink.gif Other than that, the site is truly awesome! I also agree that a wolf and some wind added as ambient noise would sound pretty amazing!

Wow - thanks! biggrin.gif Glad you like it. As for the solid lines with solid colors, that's simply because it's supposed to be designs on a stain glass window, which may come across as a somewhat cartoonish feel. wink.gif When you see Scorp's other art for Wylfgard, though, trust me - you'll know it's by no means cartoonish. tongue.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#39 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Well, I tested what you said, as the ight moved I put the mouse over the buttons and took it back a few times. I didnt really lag, but the light slowed down. wink.gif

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#40 Red Viper

Red Viper

...In Progress...

• Nova Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hey Wolfy, do you have a JPG or JPEG copy of that red wolf. I want to make a fancy signature with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users