Photo

Soylo: A Soy Wars Story

• Please log in to reply
2106 replies to this topic

Poll: STAR WARS

When Rey wondered what she should tell Finn, what did Chewie suggest?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,859 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

POPULAR

You people take Star Wars so seriously.

Almost as seriously as you take obscure Indie games.

#82 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

OKAY! Serious post time and a game of Devil's Advocate --- my favorite.

Why are you all so freaking out? Yes, Disney isnt known for making good films... maybe not even decent films, but Lucas will be working on the film as supervisor. You think he will let them really spoil it? Give them a chance.

Sorry, but Disney has made wonderful films. You just made a sweeping generalization of all Disney films, not accounting for their early work or short films. Afterall, Disney received 59 Academy Award nominations and out of those 59, they won 22 times with 4 of those wins being honorary awards. Also, to be perfectly clear, I do not believe Lucas will have much influence over the movies unless he's producing the films. So far, no light has been shed on any producers, or directors on the project.

¨Bringing Prince of Persia here is not that smart. I didnt seen it, but from what I heard, it has from the game series only the name of the film and characters. From there any other connection ends... maybe also place. I was referring to other films that are low-budget, or some of their TV shows. But Ocelot brought here interesting thing. Disney is really large (larger than I thought), and while on one side they were making films like Dadnapped, Lemonade Mouth, Camp Rocks and High School Musical (only te first is decent), but on the other there are the movies which Mr. Rikardo brought. Tron: Legacy, and The Avengers. So I say "lets wait and see, not curse and banish".

You didn't see, your argument is invalid. Besides those are low-budget TV movies that were made for the Disney Channel. Those films are designed for teens and children, and some of those aren't that good, no. But they're for kids and teens that appeal to them with cheesy songs and heart-throbs. No, it's not cinema of any real substance, but let it go, they're for kids.

We dont know how will that end, or even at what time the Ep. VII will take place. There appeared so many events after the original trilogy that we cnat be sure if it will be Thrawn's Campaign, Yuuzhan Vong War, Second Galactic Civil War, or even if it will dont take place in Legacy the Second Imperial Civil War. Or if it will not be even completely new settings in the cap 40'-130 ABY. Or beyond. When the Extended Cut for Mass Effect 3 was announced, I was not very trusting it, but I knew that I cant judge it before I will see it. Thought now I am not that satisfied with it, it at least makes sense the ending. But back to Star Wars.

The new films can't be based on the post OT comics/books, the actors are incredibly old and time has not been kind to any of them except for maybe Mark Hamill. SO, if they're going to make a post OT film, it would have to be a long time from when they ended, you're right.

I however, believe they should backwards in time instead.

Many other companies were making stuff for Star Wars, like Marvel with the comics. And so? Did it ruined the franchise? We cant know, three years is a lot of time, and maybe Disney will surprise us and bring great experience with storyline as good as the original one. Or it can literally smash the franchise like the Star Wars concerts... or something like that, I dont remember now what exactly wasnt ever successful, but something there was. So I say lets wait until more info is revealed, and than we can start arguing if the new episode will be successful or doomed.

That's not entirely true, back in the day, Marvel did, currently Dark Horse has the comics license (since 1991, actually). Also what Star Wars concerts? If anything I heard those were quite good, they weren't doing anything other than playing the music of the old films.

And for the "dancing Star Wars game" on that... I cant remember the name of that platform :D Well, there were some even more weirder games, and I see the dancing as a way how to little make fun of the franchise :) More relaxing. Like the "Mass Effect Cartoon" April fool :D And if not games, the merchandise.

The dancing game came out for the Xbox 360, specifically the kinect. I don't know why you felt the need to add that it was for the kinect at the end.

I wont be surprised if there will be vibrators with Vader's or Chewie's head... Kinect!

Dude, what the hell? Seriously.

Stopped reading there. (not just because of bad grammar)

Tough it through, man.

Disney made some very entertaining movies lately. While not deep or with unique characters, it's fun.

That's part of what it should be about. :3

I think that partially it is because Disney in the recent years is making TV series starring childish and overall young actors who are not actually acting, but just reciting a given text, something that is happening in my country with more adult series. And that some of their movies are not so great. Of course, there are few exceptions, I admit that.

Yeah, that's Television. Not a big budget Hollywood production. When you don't have a lot of money you can't really hire the best people, or gear. Deal with it, but also, they're shows for children. But also, it's not so much that they're not acting, they're certainly acting, just badly.

Pshaw, what? They have wonderful luck with sequels! Look, here's Hunchback of Notre Dame:

Wonderful, yes? Now, let's check out the sequel.

Oh...oh god. :capyoself:

In seriousness, Disney's track record may or may not come into play here. Like I said above, and what Moonlight said, it all depends on the script and who they get to direct. Disney itself may have little to do with the actual final product.

In my experience, some direct-to-video sequels are rarely any good. But some people enjoy them, not all but some.

LOL.

Phae's got you there, Kas.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#83 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Well, I know what I wanna see out of Disney now that they own Star Wars.

Posted Image

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#84 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Well, I know what I wanna see out of Disney now that they own Star Wars.

*heresy*

"Step one you find young Anakin
He's off the charts with midichlorians
Make him guess pictures he can't see
He guessed those pictures correctly
Your request to train him gets denied
Then it's approved after you've died
Could he be the one that was foretold?
Should you even train someone this old?

Where do I belong, there must've been
Somethin' so wrong with the prophecy
And I would not have strayed to dark from light
Had I been made a Jedi Knight"

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#85 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,765 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

You people take Star Wars so seriously.

Psh, you're acting like there's anything else in life :P

Is that the smell of hypocrisy wafting from the Star Wars fanboy crowd? First they all complain that Lucas is destroying Star Wars and that he should give it over to someone else, but then when he does it's the end of times?

I have to admit, my butt is a little bit hurt about all of this. It's totally unreasonable, because I've wasted an awful lot of my life complaining about George Lucas on the internet, but there you go. I think it's just some romantic notion of the last bastion of non-corporatized popular culture getting snapped up by the fatcats, doomed to an eternity of bland, soulless, focus-tested blockbuster sequels.

Which isn't really what I think because I don't really have much of an opinion about Disney. I didn't even know they bought Marvel until Wolfie said so in this thread, and I haven't really seen any of Disney's most famous animated movies. I know I've seen The Little Mermaid and Fantasia, but not since I was about five, so that whole genre of movies is a huge blind spot for me. And thesedays, seeing the Disney logo on something doesn't really tell you much about it, so I'm pretty mellow about the whole thing. Maybe it'll be bad, maybe it won't. Maybe it'll be amazing; we all know the best Star Wars movie wasn't written or directed by George Lucas.

But I'm really not worried about the quality of a Disney-made Star Wars movie because, y'know what? Star Wars isn't for me anymore. It hasn't been for a while. I still wholeheartedly love the Original Trilogy, but nothing beyond that really interests me. And it's not from some perceived slight or grudge I've been carrying (though it certainly used to be), it's just that I've moved on from all that. The time when a person could be legitimately upset at the direction the Star Wars universe was going is long over; Star Wars has well and truly gone in that direction. It's a young man's game. I still remember being so excited to go and see Episode I in theatres, and I still remember loving that movie, because I was a dumb kid who didn't let things like a total lack of redeeming features get in the way when there were lightsabres and Duels of the Fates to enjoy. No new Star Wars movie is ever going to make me feel like that again, but that's because I'm different now. They call it 'being an adult' (or, let's be honest, 'not being a kid anymore').

So, in that respect, Disney's a great fit for Star Wars. No, they probably aren't going to make something that outdoes Empire, but maybe they'll make a trilogy that'll capture the hearts and imaginations of a whole new generation of kids who'll grow up into angry teenage internet commenters and then grow up a little more and mellow out. And maybe they'll actually be good movies that I could enjoy, too. Disney still seems to have that olde-timey tradition and sentimentality that makes me think they won't put out some darker-and-grittier™ sequel for a quick buck.

Anyway, enough teary-eyed saccharine nonsense. New topic: who do you want to write/direct/star in a new Star Wars? 3 2 1 GO!

There are so many directors out there who'll readily admit to being huge Star Wars fans, and I'd love to see what some of them could do with it. Obviously Joss Whedon would be on the list, but I think Edgar Wright (of Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz fame) could do something amazing. Duncan Jones? Quentin Tarantino? I think I'd rather see a bunch of short films by different directors than a third trilogy.

#86 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,176 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

I want Joss Whedon to write it and Nathan Fillion to play Han Solo.

lWZ8e6F.png

#87 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Nathan Fillion would be a terrible Han Solo, what are you talking about.
Old timer

#88 Burngirl

Burngirl

You are clear for takeoff.

• Nova Member
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Dude, Harrison is still alive with that cocky, confident, scoundrel of a grin. He needs to have another go at the character before he dies. Heck, he pulled off Indy, he can pull off Han.

Edited by Burngirl, 01 November 2012 - 12:28 PM.

Posted Image

Photograph by me, editions made in Paint.net

Click the picture if you want to see my photography collection.

#89 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Dude, Harrison is still alive with that cocky, confident, scoundrel of a grin. He needs to have another go at the character before he dies. Heck, he pulled off Indy, he can pull off Han.

Posted Image

Eugh. Don't remind me of Indy 4, much less old Indy where he barely used his whip.

tqtEf64.gif

#90 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Michaelangelo: I will not comment on most of it, when you are taking parts from a bigger context. But, I have to reply to something. That Mark Hamill is the only one who was not that affected by time? Did you seen him recently? Harrison Ford practically didnt changed, he just now has white hair and more wrinkles, but he is still playing like before, maybe he has some problems from age, but he still tries. Carrie Fisher also didnt changed much, thought Billy Dee Williams looks little ill, I dont know every part of their life, so Hamill may be in goof condition, but he looks the worst from all main heroes.

I mean, all of them are still playing or working in the industry, Hamill and Fisher are both known for voice acting, and Williams is also playing or singing. And Ford... no need to say more. If the new episodes will be set in time of Darth Caedus, than its the exact time the players would repeat their roles. Of course if it will be set after the original trilogy. If it will be before, than its another story.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#91 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,765 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

POPULAR

Carrie Fisher also didnt changed much...

Oh yeah, she hasn't aged a day :P
Posted Image

I'd reeeeaally prefer it if none of the original cast came back. They're old people now. I mean, God bless'em, they're some great old people, but they're old people all the same. I don't want to know what old, fat Luke Skywalker is up to, and I really don't want to see a scene where sad, old, earring-wearing Han Solo is training Shia LaBeef to fly the Millennium Falcon. In fact, the fewer awful winks and nods to the old movies they can make the better. Obviously someone has to say they have a bad feeling about something, but that's as far as it goes.

Y'know what'd be sweet? If they make three movies with completely new characters, set far forward in to ABY territory, and then right at the end of the third movie you see Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher as Force Ghosts smiling at the main characters.

#92 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Why are you guys so dead set on thinking the future movies will be an adaptation of anything? Disney's probably going to do their own thing with it. And I for one approve. Wipe the EU slate clean of all the gunk, and bring back good writers to start from scratch. I haven't been a 'Troo Fan' of Star Wars since I was 10 (All the cool kids had moved to Babylon 5. I was more of a Whovian.), so maybe I underestimate the loyalty of the fanbase. Not that I really care.

Anyway, what I really want from Star Wars is more of that Fantasy aspect from the OT. Get rid of all that politital bullcrap from the Prequels and the GRIMDARK most authors seem to insist of inserting into books. Let's have good versus evil again, with swordfights, but, like, the swords are made of lasers, man.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#93 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Oh yeah, she hasn't aged a day :P
Posted Image

I havent said she didnt changed at all, I admit that. But she looks better than Hamill, you must admit that.

But yes, making a new story in new settings is also option we cant throw away,

#94 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

I can sleep safely at night knowing that Disney isn't going to buy out Amanita Design.
Posted Image

I haven't cared about Star Wars for a very long time. I don't expect new movies or merchandise to change that, even if that merchandise and those movies are really good. I'm past the stage in my life where sticking a lightsaber on something made it the best thing I could imagine, despite the fact that I might as well keep an anthology of the Thrawn trilogy under my pillow, right next to a boxed copy of Knights of the Old Republic II. A lack of George Lucas is certainly not going to kill the franchise any more than a great amount of George Lucas, because everyone's favourite Star Wars film had a Lucas-shaped hole in the Director's chair. If the trilogy turns out good, I'll go see it. If not, no love lost.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#95 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Would be cool if the movies were about Kyle Katarn, or Corran Horn. Or Wedge Antilles and the rest of Rogue Squadron, but I'm sure Wedge's actor is probably as fat as Mark Hamill now. I think if the did a throwback to any of the characters other than the droids would just be terrible, unless they found look-alikes. Could you imagine a movie with Luke Skywalker where the actor looks and acts like Skywalker but is not Skywalker's voice? Also maybe the lead actress won't be addicted to coke this time around. I always wondered as a kid why Princess Leia always had long pinky nails.
Old timer

#96 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

but I'm sure Wedge's actor is probably as fat as Mark Hamill now.

Well he's 65, so...

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#97 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Well he's 65, so...

He doesnt look fat, not like Hamill.

#98 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Lucas halts plans to swim in Money Bin, decides to give to give 4 Billion to Charity instead.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#99 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Eugh. Don't remind me of Indy 4, much less old Indy where he barely used his whip.

That has nothing to do with his acting ability: That there is all account of the script.

Well, at least for the whip part. :lol:

Edited by The Captain, 01 November 2012 - 09:29 PM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#100 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Michaelangelo: I will not comment on most of it, when you are taking parts from a bigger context.

Yeah, I know. I totally destroyed what had going.

But, I have to reply to something. That Mark Hamill is the only one who was not that affected by time? Did you seen him recently? Harrison Ford practically didnt changed, he just now has white hair and more wrinkles, but he is still playing like before, maybe he has some problems from age, but he still tries. Carrie Fisher also didnt changed much, thought Billy Dee Williams looks little ill, I dont know every part of their life, so Hamill may be in goof condition, but he looks the worst from all main heroes.

Yeah, I've seen them and yes, they have changed quite a lot since the old movies. Carrie Fisher is about 56 and 30 lbs heavier (and no offense to her, btw) Hamill is 61 and Ford is 70. While those dudes haven't gotten heavier they've certainly gotten wrinklier and greyer. It's been thirty-five years since the original film, plus most (not all, obviously) of the original actors are all dead or incredibly old. Dennis Lawson, the dude who played Wedge Antiles is 65, technically, he's at the age where he can retire here in the states.

So don't tell me they haven't changed. I think Ocelot proved my point.

I mean, all of them are still playing or working in the industry, Hamill and Fisher are both known for voice acting, and Williams is also playing or singing. And Ford... no need to say more. If the new episodes will be set in time of Darth Caedus, than its the exact time the players would repeat their roles. Of course if it will be set after the original trilogy. If it will be before, than its another story.

Working, yeah, in animation. They can't really reprise their roles unless it's their voice.

tqtEf64.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users