Photo

SSLF's Official Devil May Cry 5 Rumour Mill/Hype/Appreciation Thread

YOULL ALL SEE Foolishness Dante Foolishness Flock off Featherface NOW IM MOTIVATED

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,627 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:48 AM

Alright, you gorgeous SSLFers, you. Devil May Cry 5 is, of course, the game that each and every one of us here is most excited about, and that we all dream of every night and spend our days pining over. When will Vergil return to us, we ask ourselves. When will the Big Daddy of action games make his triumphant return to the scene?

Well, hold onto your butts with both hands, because this might just be the big one. A big ol' leaked document has popped up on Resetera, aka New NeoGAF, which I will dump here in its entirety for your viewing pleasure:

RELEASE DATE AND PRODUCTION 

- The game is slated to release some time in the fiscal calendar year of 2019. That means sometime between April 2018 and March 2019. Original plan was to release it in November 2018 but the date MIGHT have been pushed back to early 2019. 
- Originally DMCV was intended to be announced at PSX but after receiving feedback on their E3 press conference, Sony decided to scale back on PSX and instead scale up E3 2018. DMCV was an unfortunate casualty of this choice and thus it’s unlikely that DMCV gets officially revealed in 2017. 
- There will be a demo for the game sometime before release. 
- Game has been in development for 2 years as of today. When it will release it will have been in development for 3 years at least. That is actually the highest time a DMC game has been in full production for. Pre-production started as early as 2015 around the time that DMC4SE finished releasing. There have been no development hiccups and as stated, the development has in fact been progressing smoothly. 
- There is some form of Playstation exclusivity involved. Sony is paying for some of the funding for the game but the extent of it is not known. Could be completely PS4 exclusive, console exclusive or timed exclusive. If the game is announced publicly then it will be at a Sony event, which is why many people thought that it was going to be at PSX. 

- Trailer has been ready for a while now. The initial trailer is 1 minute 50 seconds long (they may add new cuts to trailer to make an extended version since some time has passed from when it was made). It is mostly focused on story, characters and cutscenes. A city like setting is shown in the trailer not that different from Fortuna city in DMC4. 
- The overall game is supposed to be “ambitious” for a DMC title with a broader appeal. 
- Longest cutscene runtime of any DMC game yet. 

DEVELOPMENT TEAM

- Itsuno’s team that worked on previous DMC games and Dragon’s Dogma is working on DMCV. 
- Yuji Shimomura is returning as the cutscene director for DMCV. He worked on DMC3, DMC4 and Bayonetta cutscenes. 
- Reuben Langdon is reprising his role as Dante. 
- Johnny Young Bosch is reprising his role as Nero. 
- Dan Southworth is reprising his role as Vergil. 
- No word on the actresses who played Trish and Lady if they will be returning, 
- Onyay Pheori is helping with the soundtrack (she did the song for DMC4SE’s launch trailer).

CHARACTERS AND STORY (POTENTIALLY BIG SPOILERS!)

- DMCV picks up the story after DMC4. 
- More than one playable character in the game, Dante is for sure playable and Nero is possibly playable as well. Up to 3 playable characters have been suggested for now. 
- This is the most serious Dante has been (a "new side" of Dante), of course not counting DMC2. Dante still plays with his enemies and has his usual over the top flair but this game is going to be more personal for him. 
- A third character is expected to be playable as well. Said to be “very powerful.” May or may not be brand new to the series. 
- No word on whether Vergil is playable or not, he will be returning although specifics on how he is returning from his death in DMC1 are unknown. 
- Trish has a prominent role to play in DMCV but no word on whether she is playable or not. 
- There will be a sequence where Nero and Vergil have a confrontation, confirming their relationship (Nero is in fact Vergil’s son as stated in the DMC3142 artbook). 
- Characters switch during key story points in the game. 
- The “Prince of Darkness” is featured as the main antagonist of the story. (Prince of Darkness title normally refers to Mundus so it might indicate his return but that title may have transferred to another character)
- DMCV might be the end of the “sons of Sparda” storyline. 

GAME PLAY/SYSTEMS 

- Hard lock on is standard. 
- Console is targeted for 60 frames per second like the previous DMC games. 
- Level design is more open than previous DMC games but not going into Souls or open world territory of level design. Movement outside of combat has been streamlined to match the open nature of the game. The structure is more open to make the experience more "smooth." Immersion is important to the team with this game.
- Level design and exploration is more similar to Bayonetta with action set pieces thrown in there but without the QTEs. QTEs in general do not exist in DMCV thus far. 
- There is NO Stamina bar. 
- This is not a Musou game but there will be encounters where you are facing more enemies than you are used to in a DMC game.
- There is some online integration but definitely no multiplayer PvP. 
- Dodge system is reworked and dodging in general is supposed to be a lot smoother than before (get ready to hear the word “smooth” a lot when related to DMCV). 
- Camera pulls back during big fights. The devs are really proud of the new, more dynamic camera system.
- Animations are being improved to be less stiff. Big emphasis on cloth physics (maybe Dante’s sword might not clip through his jacket now!). Battles are beautifully animated and smooth. 
- Mission and Ranking system similar to previous DMC games and Bayonetta. There will definitely be mission/chapter selects. 
- Bosses being ramped up dramatically in DMCV. One of the boss fights moves between multiple areas of the game. 
- Style system is in for Dante - Enemies will react a bit differently to each style.
- Style system has been streamlined to be smoother to use for the players (speculated that the style system might be tuned/reworked to make it easier to get into than in DMC4).
- Certain styles will have advantages on certain enemies similar to DmC/DMC3 (you can use a single style on any enemy just fine). 
- More environment interactivity than any previous DMC game. This is supposed to compliment the combat system, not detract from it. 
- There is some form of dynamic environment destruction/transformation in play but not on the scale of DmC thus far. 
- While this is not an open world game, some inspirations have been taken from Dragon’s Dogma. 

Take it with a grain of salt, as with all internet rumours about video games, but maybe also believe in it with all your heart because it sounds so good. Itsuno! Vergil! The proper voice actors! Prince of Darkness! A trailer ready to go!

It basically sounds like my dream come true, with the possible exception of another Fortune-style city as the setting instead of a spooky castle/tower like DMC1 and 3, but whatevs I can deal with that. I've been waiting for a proper Dante/Vergil DMC game for almost THIRTEEN YEARS now. DMC3 came out in 2005, and as we all know it is the greatest video game ever made and has yet to be equaled. DMC4 is an excellent action game in kind of a frustrating, incomplete shell, a victim of Capcom's transition to HD development. DmC is a perfectly competent action game (assuming you get the Definitive Edition), but it just isn't that Devil May Cry goodness. But Devil May Cry 5? Fuggedaboudit. It's going to be 400% PURF, and you all know it, and if you say it won't be you're just lying to yourselves.

In conclusion, do you remember what we used to say?

tumblr_ndc0teJQHl1tzeen3o1_500.gif

#2 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

I... didn't actually think they'd do something that sounds so right.

Admittedly, this... this makes my heart hurt for Resident Evil, because I'm such a RE fangirl... and RE got such bad treatment... I love DMC, obviously, and this is insanely exciting, but it makes me really sad for RE's sake. :(

why are you so cruel capcom

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#3 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,627 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

DMC has already had mooooore than its fair share of Capcpom cruelty:

hqdefault.jpg

It's high time for some good news after these long years. These long, long years. SO MANY YEARS.

DEVIL MAY CRY FIIIIIIVE!

NCDWsHG.gif

EDIT - CONTINUE HOLDING YOUR BUTTS, because the original leaker has updated the leak!

A LITTLE UPDATE

- PlayStation 4 first, PC later. (highly unlikely to be on any other platform)
- Unreal Engine 4

On the one hand, it'd be a shame to see DMC go back to being console-exclusive after 4, DmC and the HD Collection were all multiplatform. I want to see the glory that is DMC5 reach as many people as possible, and even if the sales would probably have been Playstation-slanted anyway, I'm sure it would have sold enough on Xbox to at least make it worthwhile. But, then, Capcom isn't the company they once were, and it's perfectly believable that this game wouldn't exist at all without Sony helping to fund it. If it's a choice between a fully-featured but exclusive DMC5 and a multiplatform but somehow compromised (or, y'know, non-existent) DMC5... well, let's just say I'm glad I bought the right console :P

EDIT - Alright, you guys, get hype, because now Hideaki Itsuno himself is... potentially teasing?

R3irTNy.jpg

OqdTm0e.jpg

A target with five dots, and he's holding two Blue-Rose-esque revolver's in a 'V' shape... DMCV CONFIRMED EVERYONE GET HYYYYYPE!

#4 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,627 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

So, if it wasn't obvious, I've been deep in the throes of hype this past week or so, and I decided to play a little bit of some Devil May Cry to soothe the burn. And, just for funsies, I started with DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition. Oh boy.

Alright, let's get the obvious out of the way: it's a travesty. It is, potentially, Capcom's biggest Capcpom ever. Giving Devil May Cry, the most exquisite, technically-brilliant, deepest, most challenging, most Japanese action series ever created... to Ninja Theory. I mean, I think Ninja Theory is a pretty cool developer, when they play to their strengths. They're weird and creative, and their games are nothing if not memorable. But their action pedigree to that point had been Heavenly Sword, a game that ran at like 20FPS and felt like it had a full second of input lag, and Enslaved, an action game where the Triangle button only ever did one move for the entire game. The original release of DmC back in 2013 missed the mark by such a wide margin: 30FPS, no lock-on, enemies that could only be harmed by one weapon-type, a completely broken style meter, terrible bosses, sloooow gameplay, no taunting. Boy oh boy oh boy.

But let's not get too negative, because we're talking about the Definitive Edition here. Two years after the original release, Capcom got one of their internal teams, QLOC, to work on a re-released version for current-gen consoles, with a list of changes so extensive they actually put out a PDF listing them all. 60FPS, lock-on, a 20% speed increase, new difficulty modes, too many balance changes to mention; suddenly the game was looking like a big boy action game. And it is; it's probably the best action game ever made by a Western developer. It plays well, and it has some really cool new mechanics that I'd be happy to see make their way into DMC5. Is it fit to be a DMC game? Well, no, but it's better than DMC2, at least.

If you can make it past the extremely off-putting... y'know, entire design aesthetic of the game, there are actually some great moments in DmC. There's one mission where you have to kidnap the bad guy's disgusting girlfriend, which starts off in a nightclub and quickly turns into a bizarre neon-lit reality TV show set nightmare, where you run around on these swirling laser-beam paths through the sky. Ninja Theory did not take half-measures with the game's colour palette, and while sometimes it's incredibly ugly, other times it hits really nicely. Ninja Theory's re-imagining of the DMC universe comes with a Heaven, a Hell and Limbo, an alternate world that you get shunted into against your will throughout the game, where the laws of gravity and physics fall apart and the levels themselves will warp and twist and break apart as you try and run through them. For the most part this means a lot of you jumping, double jumping and air-boosting between floating platforms, which isn't especially exciting, but you also have these abilities that let you pull yourself toward a thing or pull a thing toward yourself, and when those start getting pulled into the platforming it's pretty fun. It's a nice change from the standard Devil May Cry approach to level design, which is more or less just 'fight guys and then run to the other side of the room'.

Unfortunately, it's when you get into the actual Devil May Cry-ing that the game loses its lustre. The jury-rigged lock-on function they added into the Definitive Edition is... functional, I guess, but it doesn't really work all that well. You can still whiff away at empty air next to your target even while locked on, and it's very difficult to lock on to the right guy in a group of bad guys. The game has this unusual control choice where you have to hold a trigger to use your secondary weapons, rather than switching between them with a single press, and my fingers find it very confusing to be holding R1 to lock on, then hold R2 or L2 to use other weapons. There are some interesting enemy types, some not so great ones, and a pretty annoying tendency to throw bad guys at you in waves that are interrupted by a cutscene of Dante turning to look at the new guys loading in (couldn't they just spawn in during the fight like always? Why you gotta break my flow, bruh?).

And double unfortunately, there are only five bosses in the whole game, all of them except Vergil are terrible. They're all the giant face archetype: a big dude/monster that stands in one place and swipes at you while you hack away at it for ten minutes, and they're just tedious. They only ever have two or three attacks that are all perfectly easy to dodge, and because they're big and immobile the best option is just to use the heavy weapons and bam bam bam away with your most damaging combo until they die. Vergil's fight is the only fun one-on-one encounter, and even then it's ruined by like six mid-fight cutscenes breaking the flow constantly. It's a real shame, because these mechanics could have supported a bunch of great bossfights, but Ninja Theory just didn't make them. This is DMC, baby; bossfights are supposed to be the highlights.

The original Devils May Cry were perfect examples of one of my favourite video game tropes: Americans as written by Japanese people. Same thing I loved Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid; the Japanese game designers of the late 90s/early 2000s just had such a wonderful idea of what it meant to be an American, all brashness and bluster, loud and gregarious. DmC, by comparison, is what a bunch of dorky English theatre kids think it means to be American; Dante is just kind of a jerk, constantly being petty and rude to people for no real reason. Classic Dante might hurl some cheeky insults around, but only ever at the big bad guys who deserved a good dressing down. DmC Dante, by comparison, slaps Coke cans out of the hands of random pedestrians, and interrupts the poor, put-upon female character to tell her he doesn't care about her clever plan. Ninja Theory were too busy making every character punk and edgy to make any of them actually likable; Vergil even wears a fedora in the original release (hilariously, they edited out the fedora in the re-release :P).

The game ends with you taking down Mundus (in what is probably the easiest bossfight in the whole game), after which Vergil suddenly drops the bomb that, "Oh, btw, now we're going to subjugate humanity lol". It's one of the most jarring, whiplash-inducing plot twists, somehow both predictable (because they took it straight from DMC3) and out of nowhere (because they executed it so poorly). You fight Vergil, Dante squeezes the under-written female character's bum unbidden just so we know he's still a jerk, and then the game goes into a credits sequence that perfectly encapsulates the difference between Classic DMC and Ninja Theory DMC:

DMC4 ends with our ol' pal Dante walking off camera and giving us a cheerful wave goodbye. See you next time, buddy; it's been a fun ride:

EnpBDTZ.gif

DmC Devil May Cry ends with Dante's voice actor saying "My name... is Dante" into the camera, then rolling away on a skateboard and flipping the bird:

LTOqg73.gif

I don't know if they did this on purpose, but it's just the most perfectly on-brand thing for the game. "Our Dante? He wouldn't just walk away, he'd... he'd be on a skateboard! Because he's so cool and aloof and he doesn't care about society's rules, maaaan. And also he'd be giving the finger! Because he's so punk and anti-authority! MAAAAAAN!"

Oh boy.

I also played the Vergil's Downfall DLC, where you play as Vergil after the events of the main game. It's your standard cheapo post-game DLC, made of re-used assets from the main production and with some ugly motion comic cutscenes to save costs. It's nothing to write home about, except that it botches the Vergil bossfight for a second time. The one in the main game is ruined by the interrupting cutscenes, whereas the one in the DLC (Vergil against Shadow Vergil) is ruined by these newly-added phases where bad guy Vergil teleports out of the arena and spends like a minute sending very-easily-dodged Summoned Swords at you. It's just a total waste of time.

But, oh well, that was DmC. I still think the Definitive Edition is a perfectly competent action game, if you can suffer through the awful cutscenes and don't mind disappointing bossfights. But I'll be happy to move on to replaying the real Devil May Cry games, thank you very much. I started up DMC4 SE last night, doing a standard Nero/Dante playthrough (in Nero's cool purple coat alternate outfit), and this is my jam, baby. 

#5 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,627 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:31 AM

Alright, you guys, let me tell you about a little game called Devil May Cry 4. First things first: it's awesome, and I'm going to talk about just how awesome it is a bit later, but for right now, allow me to paint you a word picture of the state of the world in the mid-to-late 2000s, vis a vis the Devil May Cry series. DMC fans (including a handsome young high school student in Australia) were still riding the high that the 2005 release of the undisputed greatest video game of all time, Devil May Cry 3, had brought them. A followup came the very next year in the form of Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition, which somehow took perfection and made it even more perfecterer, by adding a playable Vergil and a couple of new bossfights into DMC3. Come 2007ish, with the turn of the console generation, Devil May Cry 4 was on the horizon, and... well, to be honest, I wasn't super hyped.

I adored DMC3, but when the first Famitsu scans of DMC4 leaked out, showing an entirely new protagonist named Nero, with no hint of our lord and saviour Vergil in sight, Young Ocelot was unimpressed. My hopes dropped further when the trailers started rolling out, showing a pretty melodramatic-looking anime story where Nero seemed to spend the whole game shouting his love interest's name ('Kyrie' is probably said more than any other word in this game's script, btw :P). They'd recast Vergil's voice actor as a different character, Dante was wearing this weird getup that involved leather chaps and cowboy-boot-styled leg warmers; it just wasn't what I'd expected, and this was the part of my life when I was growing into a real... ugh, just a real jabroni. So disagreeable, so ready to write something off without giving it a chance just because some small thing had rubbed me the wrong way. Not one of the better phases of Ocelot's life.

When DMC4 actually came out, these issues would prove to be a drop in the bucket compared to the game's biggest shortcoming, which is that it's half a game. It's still one of the best-known examples of Japanese developers struggling to come to terms with the realities of HD game development in the early days, how inefficient procedures and pipelines that worked in the SD era became huge problems in the new generation. On top of that, they were using a relatively new engine (MT Framework), the PS3 was notoriously hard to code for, Capcom's bigwigs decided halfway through development that they were going to do an Xbox 360 version as well; it was kind of a recipe for disaster. The way that troubled development manifests in the game itself is that you proceed as you'd expect from Mission 1 to Mission 11, but then once you hit Mission 12 the objective of the game becomes "OK, now turn around and do it again in reverse". You just run backwards through all the same levels all over again, fight all the same bosses, repeat more or less the whole game, before finally finding some new content again at about Mission 19. Hideaki Itsuno's team clearly ran out of time and money at some point and just had to do the best they could, getting maximum mileage out of the limited assets they'd been able to put together.

It's a testament to just how good the basic gameplay is, then, that DMC4 is still a great game even with all those caveats. In some less cruel alternate universe there's a fully complete version of DMC4, with a longer campaign, some more unique bosses, more weapons (and maybe a cheeky little visit from Big Daddy Vergil), but the DMC4 we actually got in this dismal reality is still an awesome experience. Compared to some other famously troubled games (*cough*MGSV*cough*), it comes out way ahead. Devil May Cry 4 has nothing less than the best video game combat system crafted (coded) by human hands, and that buh-rilliant gameplay combined with some great bossfights and really creative weapons and mechanics takes it a long way.

In fact, looking back on this game with the hindsight granted by almost ten years of pure misery for the Devil May Cry fandom, it's hard to remember what all the fuss was about. While teenage Ocelot couldn't get past this whiny brat Nero taking Vergil's place, Adult Ocelot loves the guy! Nero is so much fun to play as! He has this sword with a jet engine inside it, and he can rev the hilt of it like a motorbike's throttle to blast flames out the back of the blade to hit guys with it even harder. He has this gross demon arm that he can use to yank enemies towards him, which opens up the whole combat system in really interesting ways, and the demon arm also gives him the ability to perform sick finisher animations like this work of art right here:

QcaKxiy.gif

Nero was the developers' way of lowering the skill floor of the game again, giving newcomers a simpler character to play with to learn the mechanics of Devil May Cry-ing, but there's still amazing depth to Nero's fighting style. You can mash the L2 button to stand in place and rev your sword, but the meter you fill will be expended on your next attack. Instead, the trick is that you can instantly rev the sword to a full bar of charge by hitting L2 at the end of an attack. With the right timing, you can do this for each and every attack in Nero's arsenal, allowing you to send your damage output through the roof. It's a purely optional mechanic, but one that can make you feel so awesome with a bit of practice, and I love it so much. When you combine fully-revved sword slashes, charged bullets from your comically-oversized revolver, and a Devil Trigger that looks like a Stand from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure backing up all your attacks, Nero gets so overpowered he's almost broken, and it feels incredible.

And, of course, it wouldn't be a DMC4 post without the gif:

ec4.gif

By the time you reach the halfway mark of the game, the designers know you're ready to take on the big man himself, our ol' pal Dante. First you have to fight him one-on-one to prove your worth, which is one of the best moments in video game history (even if the actual fight is kind of unbalanced), and then you get to play as him. DMC4 Dante is much the same as his DMC3 incarnation, except that the four combat Styles that you had to choose between at the start of each mission in that game can now be swapped on-the-fly with the D-pad, suddenly quadrupling Dante's moveset. Dante is insane in this game. There are people who've been playing DMC4 since release who still wouldn't claim to have mastered everything he can do. With four characters' worth of moves at your fingertips, and a new lineup of weapons to play around with, the possibilities are all but endless. The ridiculous frame-perfect tech stuff that those crazy Youtube people can do with him just blows my mind:

dmc4-combo15fps-2-350i3s1y.gif

There's also the matter of Dante's role in the story, which is totally absurd and amazing. DMC4 is set after DMC1, where Dante fought and killed the Prince of Hell, so the dude is basically the most powerful being in the universe at this point in the timeline, and it shows. While the events of DMC4 might be life-changing for young Nero, Dante treats the whole thing like a fun adventure on a Sunday morning, just trying to have as much fun as he can. He could more or less solve the problem straight away with both hands tied behind his back, but that wouldn't be any fun, right? Even when he's involved in a one-on-one fight he's still just playing around; this is a guy who'll occasionally eat a head-on attack on purpose just to show off:

a78OjyZ.gif

So DMC4 might be half a game, but it does at least have two incredibly deep combat systems for you to spend hours upon hours playing around with and mastering, and if you buy the Special Edition you get three new characters added in! Greatest video game character of all time Vergil returns, alongside series mainstays Lady and Trish, who've been around for a while but never been playable before. Trish has an interesting combat style that changes completely depending on whether you're currently holding your sword or whether you've thrown it out to take care of some enemies on its own, and Lady focuses entirely on projectile weapons with no melee attacks at all. And Vergil is, well...

3FN1mMv.gif

Also, just quickly, it's a remarkably good-looking game. I'm playing the Special Edition, which is remastered in 1080p for PS4, but even the original release at 720p and 60FPS on the PS3 looked great. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that DMC4, a 60FPS game released in 2008, is better looking than DmC, a 30FPS game released in 2013 on the same consoles. DMC4 has that clean, Japanese game aesthetic that just holds up really well.

So what I'm saying here is that DMC4 comes with some caveats, but it's still super awesome and you should play it. The real Devil May Cry has been absent from the world stage for so long that it almost feels like a product from a bygone era. I mean, I have proselytized about my love for Platinum's action games many a time on this forum, but nothing P* has made even comes close to the exquisite technical ecstasy that is DMC4. This is a game that won't be mastered until humanity has evolved another finger or two and developed some kind of cybernetic deep learning brain implant or something. But it's also fun for regular schmoes to play, which, as a first class schmoe myself, I definitely appreciate.

Join us next time on the Devil May Cry Appreciation Power Hour, as my reverse-order playthrough of the DMC series brings us to the absolute, undisputed, hottest, most fire, fite me irl if u disagree, our-father-who-art-in-Heaven, Vergil-be-thy-name, GREATEST VIDEO GAME EVER MADE: Devil May Cry 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users