• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

I adjusted my character sheet accordingly, but I thought it would be interesting to suggest a custom talent for my character.

​Custom Talent - Combat:

Protective Combat (Constitution) - ​You think of others before yourself while fighting with a group or partner. You are trained (or at least well-versed) in using a shield and single-handed weapon, but you can employ them most effectively when using them to defend others. You know how to take a hit and keep rolling, otherwise your healer might take a fireball to the chest. Trained to parry and riposte, or push back opponents with your shield.

21.jpg

#22 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,093 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

I adjusted my character sheet accordingly, but I thought it would be interesting to suggest a custom talent for my character.

​Custom Talent - Combat:

Protective Combat (Constitution) - ​You think of others before yourself while fighting with a group or partner. You are trained (or at least well-versed) in using a shield and single-handed weapon, but you can employ them most effectively when using them to defend others. You know how to take a hit and keep rolling, otherwise your healer might take a fireball to the chest. Trained to parry and riposte, or push back opponents with your shield.

Hm... It's a fun concept, but I don't want anyone's actual combat ability determined by Constitution. Your ability to use your weapon and shield effectively would still be determined by Strength - Constitution would just determine how well you can take those hits when they strike you, not your ability to wield your shield and sword effectively.

The combat types that are already available are meant to encompass a wide variety of fighting styles and weapon types, including shields. The broader nature of the combat talents is meant to allow for people to make characters that specialize in any particular weapon they prefer, without having to take "weapon focus" in sword/shield, as it were. I suppose I wouldn't say no, if you want to specifically have some kind of talent to stay on the defensive (kind of the opposite of Sephsekla's deathwish combat talent), but ultimately, the way in which your character fights is determined more by what weapons you choose to give him/her and what you have him/her do in your post(s), rather than some specific talent. If you have Martial Combat and are an expert javelin thrower, that's fine; if you have Martial Combat and are a member of the Imperial Legion who specializes in forming a shield wall, that's also fine. Does that make sense, or am I just rambling at this point?

Also, just have to point this out - unless your shield is made of void iron, I wouldn't recommend trying to block fireballs with it... :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#23 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hm... It's a fun concept, but I don't want anyone's actual combat ability determined by Constitution. Your ability to use your weapon and shield effectively would still be determined by Strength - Constitution would just determine how well you can take those hits when they strike you, not your ability to wield your shield and sword effectively.

The combat types that are already available are meant to encompass a wide variety of fighting styles and weapon types, including shields. The broader nature of the combat talents is meant to allow for people to make characters that specialize in any particular weapon they prefer, without having to take "weapon focus" in sword/shield, as it were. I suppose I wouldn't say no, if you want to specifically have some kind of talent to stay on the defensive (kind of the opposite of Sephsekla's deathwish combat talent), but ultimately, the way in which your character fights is determined more by what weapons you choose to give him/her and what you have him/her do in your post(s), rather than some specific talent. If you have Martial Combat and are an expert javelin thrower, that's fine; if you have Martial Combat and are a member of the Imperial Legion who specializes in forming a shield wall, that's also fine. Does that make sense, or am I just rambling at this point?

Also, just have to point this out - unless your shield is made of void iron, I wouldn't recommend trying to block fireballs with it... :P

​Understood, I think I'll give him Noble Combat instead then.

Oh, and for fireballs, I thought it was a simple example. I'll remember that for the next time I think I can do so.

21.jpg

#24 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

I'm afraid I can't really give you permission to play as him again unless you specify and explain how exactly he isn't dead. His throat was cut, and not just a little bit, and those who killed him would've made absolutely sure he was dead. As for returning as a lich, that is far from easy or simple (it takes a lot of knowledge, time, and rituals), and it has to be prepared beforehand. It isn't just something a dead guy can suddenly decide to do only after he was killed.

Curses! The Weeping Mage will return one day to wreck vengeance upon the world!

I still blame idiot Enemies and you not blatantly telling me what to do as responsible for his death.

As a werewolf, you get ability bonuses in human form, as well. Be sure to add those into your sheet, the way Sephsekla and Sareth did with their werewolves.

So, how exactly did he become a werewolf? Was he born this way, or did he get cursed somehow, or bitten?

I still have no idea why you would want to make a human dwarf instead of just an actual dwarf, but okay.  :P

Alright, I'll add those into his sheet once he gets approved.

Spoiler

Honestly, it's just so I can have a Peter Dinklage-like character. :P

Jeez, dude, you know I almost had a reply prepared and then you sprung this on me!  :P I'm going to break up the quotes on these some, since they're so long...

51H9mCZPB-L._SX300_.jpg

This doesn't really seem like a talent so much as just a character trait of being blind but working through it. Still, if you want to have it as a talent, that's fine, although it'd absolutely be Perception-based, not Intelligence, since the character would be relying on their other senses, which are governed by Perception.

Alright, thanks.

Holy as in "holy symbol," correct? Not technically enchanted? I didn't really expect anyone to skip the starting packages entirely and just have three custom items instead, but that's fine.

Do you have any packs for priests? I can just edit some stuff out for you.

Bale, Quinby, Huo, and Albion now make four Gifted characters you have who have white hair. I feel the need to clarify that being born with the Gift by no means makes one have white hair - that is just one of many potential strange mutations some people born with the Gift have (and others are born with no signs or markings at all), and given that being born with the Gift in itself is already incredibly rare, not many people would have this issue.

I'd prefer if you could change at least one of those characters to no longer have white hair, since it's quite a few of them now, and none of them except maybe the half-elf could very easily get away with it in human society (in Bale and Quinby's case, they would have been killed or locked up by peasants or the Inquisition, respectively, during their childhood, for instance). In the East, things might be different, but Huo is coming over to the West, and while being an Easterner might deter some suspicion because most Westerners think they're just weird anyway (if they've ever even seen one), it might draw even more attention from some, since it's nonetheless considered a sign of magical corruption. Mages have to hide the strange markings they're born with, if they have any, or just hide themselves altogether (i.e. Adrianya, Chris).

This doesn't really work out - if he's blind, his eyes are nonfunctioning, and the Gift isn't going to be able to change that. He might be able to "see" into the Spirit Realm instead, but that would still be a spell he would have to cast periodically instead of an ability he can maintain constantly and effortlessly as if he had sight.

I honestly don't remember saying whether or not Qwimby had white hair or not, so he doesn't have it any more.

So, Huo is supposed to be a fire-themed version of this character. Is there any way that he can just sense the heat generated by others, or would he just have to see into the Spirit Realm?

I'm not really sure what Horace needed special permission for, unless it was Dwarven Blacksmithing. If that's the case, I'm afraid I can't grant it. Dwarves never share the secrets of their smithing, which is why it's a dwarf-only talent. Otherwise, though, he sounds fine.

Just to let you know, I'm going to treat the sword in your character artwork as an artist's interpretation, because no one could ever conceivably wield a sword like that one.  :P

The permission was pretty much for the sword, which he would have to forge himself since the Inquisition wouldn't waste that much Void Iron on just one sword. 

And how is someone wielding a sword that size the most inconceivable thing in a universe where magic, the gods, demons, and fantasy creatures all exist?

This is six talents, not five, since you have two languages in Education. 

Being an elf doesn't increase one's chances of being born with the Gift, and white hair doesn't cause magic, it's vice versa. Albion sounds fine, though, even if some peasants almost certainly would've gone nuts and tried to burn him at the stake ages ago for being freaky.  :P

Alright, I'll fix that once he gets approved.

He wasn't around Stonebridge that much, so they probably didn't even know that he existed. :P

#25 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,093 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

Alright, I'll add those into his sheet once he gets approved.

Spoiler

Do you have any packs for priests? I can just edit some stuff out for you.

So, Huo is supposed to be a fire-themed version of this character. Is there any way that he can just sense the heat generated by others, or would he just have to see into the Spirit Realm?

The permission was pretty much for the sword, which he would have to forge himself since the Inquisition wouldn't waste that much Void Iron on just one sword.

And how is someone wielding a sword that size the most inconceivable thing in a universe where magic, the gods, demons, and fantasy creatures all exist?

Yes, although both parents must be werewolves. Not enough is known about half-werewolves to say for sure if they ever transform on their own, and Errant is definitely not the place I'm going to OOC confirm or deny that for sure. :P

I don't, though I could make one. But like I said, if you just want those three things, that's fine. Or did you want some kind of priest pack instead?

It would make sense, within Wulfgard lore, to just use Spiritual magic to see into the Spirit Realm and essentially be a blind shaman. I would prefer if he just used Spiritual magic in that way instead, since it's more in-line with how different types of magic are meant to function. Mages don't really have spells like that. But if you really want to bend things that far and just sense heat instead of seeing, it'll still - at least - have to be a spell he has to cast and refresh and concentrate to maintain; it wouldn't be effortless.

I'm sorry, then, but he can't have forged it himself. He wouldn't be able to get the void iron, and he certainly wouldn't be able to know how to forge things with it. The dwarves don't share their secrets, and the Inquisition doesn't forge their own gear.

Wulfgard is a semi-realistic fantasy world. Internal logic and consistency dictates that things behave like they do in reality, even those things fantastical in nature. Humans are still humans. Just because a dragon exists, that doesn't mean that an ordinary person could wield a sword that would be too heavy for any human to ever actually wield. It doesn't need to be a big deal: you can have an unusually large greatsword, but it's not going to be nearly as huge as the one in the artwork.

Also, Albion is fine, so consider him approved. Same for Sebastian.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#26 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

I don't, though I could make one. But like I said, if you just want those three things, that's fine. Or did you want some kind of priest pack instead?

It would make sense, within Wulfgard lore, to just use Spiritual magic to see into the Spirit Realm and essentially be a blind shaman. I would prefer if he just used Spiritual magic in that way instead, since it's more in-line with how different types of magic are meant to function. Mages don't really have spells like that. But if you really want to bend things that far and just sense heat instead of seeing, it'll still - at least - have to be a spell he has to cast and refresh and concentrate to maintain; it wouldn't be effortless.

I'm sorry, then, but he can't have forged it himself. He wouldn't be able to get the void iron, and he certainly wouldn't be able to know how to forge things with it. The dwarves don't share their secrets, and the Inquisition doesn't forge their own gear.

Wulfgard is a semi-realistic fantasy world. Internal logic and consistency dictates that things behave like they do in reality, even those things fantastical in nature. Humans are still humans. Just because a dragon exists, that doesn't mean that an ordinary person could wield a sword that would be too heavy for any human to ever actually wield. It doesn't need to be a big deal: you can have an unusually large greatsword, but it's not going to be nearly as huge as the one in the artwork.

Also, Albion is fine, so consider him approved. Same for Sebastian.

You should probably make one for future use for other people; I'll just keep the custom items for now.

The blind shaman sounds a lot better than what I was originally going for: I'll change that when I post his character topic.

That's fine, and I'll edit his inventory to compensate, but you can't stop me from drawing him with his enormous greatsword. :P

I'll get all those topics up.

#27 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

Well, I finally completed that Venator char. idea, Wolfy.... just in time to not use it for a good long while.  :lol: But hey, if we ever do do that Venatori campaign, at least I'll be ready now.  :D

Also, I finally made a short character. Happy now, Wolfy?  :P

Special Permission Required: Magic - Gifted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hollí Emberleaf

Full Name: Hollí Emberleaf

Aliases: None

Sex: Female

Race: Wood-Elf

Birthplace: Forest north of Shadowvale, Achæan Empire

Affinity: Fire

Deity: Artemis, Skadi

Magic: Gifted

Faction: Venatori

Talents: Finesse Combat, Marksmanship, Acrobatics, Monster Lore, Elven Woodworking

Attributes

Strength: 3

Agility: 9 (7 + 2)

Constitution: 3 (4 - 1)

Perception: 9

Intelligence: 8

Spirit: 9

Luck: 2

Appearance:

Standing all of 4'8'' tall, with a slender, elfin build, Hollí is cute as a button. She has long, fiery auburn hair, and large, expressive green eyes. Her skin is fair, though perhaps slightly darker than the average for her kind. A narrow line of freckles runs across the bridge of her nose and beneath her eyes, giving her a slightly spectacled look.

A large tattoo—a mix of plant and flame motifs—done in teal ink, covers much of her body: starting on her back, flowing up the back of her neck, pouring down over her shoulders, and spiraling down her arms, with a few small tendrils curling around onto her chest and abdomen.

Aside from her blue Venator's cloak, she wears a thin, short-sleeved shirt, and pants—both of the same shade. Over the shirt, she wears a flexible leather cuirass; and over that she wears a sleeveless shirt of deepsilver chainmail. She wears leather boots and gloves, and leather vambraces and greaves protect her forearms and shins.

She carries an Elven longbow, sized for her height; she wears her quiver on her left hip. She also carries a spear that's about 8 inches longer than she is tall; she sharpened the edges of the long point so that she can make light cutting attacks in addition to thrusts; the butt of the shaft is capped with a steel ferrule, making a decent bludgeoning instrument, and allowing the weapon to conveniently double as a walking stick. In addition, she carries a silver dagger, plus a small knife that she mostly just uses for wood-carving.

Inventory:

(Venator Pack)

• Clothing

• Blue cloak

• SIlver Venator brooch

• Leather armor (cuirass, vambraces, greaves)

• Deepsilver chainmail shirt

• Steel spear

• Elvish bow, w/ 20 iron arrows and 5 silver arrows

• Silver dagger

• Flint and tinder

• 3 clean bandages

• 2 healing ointment

• 2 sense-enhancing potions

• 1 strength-enhancing potion

• 1 anti-lycanthropy potion

• Water and rations

• A few small woodworking tools (small knife, files, chisel)

• Oil and rags (for fire arrows)

• Wood occarina

Biography:

Born in the Achæan Empire, in the forest north of Shadowvale, Hollí's early life was typical of her kind. She hunted, she reveled, and she generally enjoyed life. Despite her blithe attitude towards life, she was a good person at heart, and considered doing something to help people—possibly becoming a Longstrider—but never seemed able to work up sufficient motivation.

That might never have changed, had she not, while hunting alone one night, come across a set of tracks like none she had ever seen before. Twenty-three at the time, curious, and confident in her skills as a hunter, she followed them to their source: and found herself facing a monstrous werewolf. Most people would have died there—and she very nearly did—but she had been born with the Gift of magic; with a blast of magical fire she managed to temporarily drive off the werewolf, injuring it a little, and buying herself some time to flee—taking off through the tree-tops. 

The flames also had another, entirely unintentional effect: attracting the attention of the group of Venatori who had been hunting the beast. The monster-hunters arrived just in the nick of time, killing the werewolf as it was clawing its way up the tree Hollí had gotten trapped in. One of the Venators jokingly complimented her on being "excellent bait", and then they left, their work complete.

But she could not so easily get over the events of that night. An avid huntress, the thought of something so monstrous, something she knew nothing about and could scarcely fight, bothered her deeply. And so before long she made a decision: she followed the hunters back to Castle Greywatch, and there joined the Venatori order.

Having been a Venator for almost thirty-eight years now, she is quite experienced. Although something of a divisive figure amongst the order due to her typically playful and immature attitude, she is nevertheless a dedicated and competent monster-hunter.

Campaign History:

None

Relationships:

None

Personality:

Many people mistake Hollí for a child at first glance. Whether or not that impression is shattered the moment she opens her mouth really depends on her mood. For she is, above all else, mercurial: she's about as tame and predictable as an active volcano; her personality capable of shifting between bubbly child, cynical world-weary smart-ass, serious and dedicated Venator, and more—with such speed as to risk giving onlookers whiplash. Although 'vivacious, playful, and childish' is the most common. 

Hollí is sort of the annoying kid sister of the Venatori order—despite the fact that she's actually 61 years old. She's one of those people who always seems to have a surfeit of energy, and seems incapable of remaining still for even an instant—making some who don't know her wonder how she ever manages to stay quiet on a hunt. She's also got a serious teasing streak, and loves subverting the expectations that people tend to form based on her incredibly youthful appearance and behavior—although she also loves pulling rank, as it were, with her age on people younger than her.

Generally easy-going—verging on blithe—it takes quite a bit to get her riled up, and her temper is a rare sight (thankfully, given her magical Gift, which she must keep hidden)—but when it does get going, it's a wonder to behold. Snarky comebacks—typically delivered with a feigned childlike innocence—are far more common.

Currency:

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#28 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:41 PM

Requesting special permission for: demonic magic. Also sort of for having a girl disguised as a boy, too? :P

-----

arya-GoT.jpg?fit=740%2C%209999&crop=0%2C

Gavia Saunio

Full Name: Gavia Saunio

Aliases: Gavin Saunus

Race: Achaean

Birthplace: Arcadia

Affinity: Lightning

Deity: Nemesis

Magic: Demonic

Faction: Imperial Legion (Skirmisher, beneath Agnus the Butcher's command) - Sagittarium

Talents: Education (Old Achaean/High Imperial), Forbidden Lore, Marksmanship, Subtlety, Diplomacy

Attributes

Strength: 5

Agility: 5

Constitution: 4

Perception: 7

Spirit: 10

Luck: 3

Appearance: A little on the short side of things in many ways - her height and her hair, namely - Gavia is good at being unnoticed simply because there is little about her that really sticks out, beyond her somewhat infamous last name. It also helps that she isn’t particularly shapely in any way, allowing her to blend in with other younger Legionnaires pretty effectively.

Inventory: Legionary Pack

-1 full set of Legionary armor (lorica segmentata; includes helmet and sandals)

-1 set of simple clothing

-1 steel gladius sword

-1 recurve bow

-30 steel-tipped arrows

-1 soulstone (empty)

-1 wooden stake

-1 set of eating utensils and small bowl

-1 set of personal hygiene utensils

-water and military rations

Biography:

Growing up to a relatively influential noble family in Arcadia, Gavia Saunio had few friends besides her older brother, Verno. Both were fascinated by the darker side of their home’s history, delving into it voraciously. It was unfortunate they were so good at covering their tracks, for it was this interest of theirs that led to Verno’s death and Gavia’s life-long misery.

A few dark discoveries and the eruption of a small rebellion found Verno heading there to… ‘interven’, so he told Gavia. A few days later Agnus the Butcher and a contingent of his Legionnaires made a brief stop to drop off Verno’s head, labeling him a mage and traitor to the Empire. Appalled, but unwilling to speak out publicly, Gavia returned to her studies with newfound vigor… and discovered some hidden notes her brother had left.

He really had been a mage. Well, in a way… but even with this dark secret revealed, Gavia felt no disgust or hatred for her brother; no, it was that damned commander...

Figuring this was her chance to get revenge for Verno’s untimely demise, the younger Saunio followed right in her brother’s footsteps, forming a contract with the demon lady Nemesis to receive unnatural powers.

Taking as many old scrolls and books as she could with her, Gavia ran far away from home, hiding away in Coronaria for a time as she studied, prepared… and finally searched for whom Agnus commanded. It did not take long to discover the regiment, and with little work Gavia managed to make a new identity for herself as she joined up with the Legionnaires as a Saggitarium.

It’s been… interesting, pretending to be a man - not to mention one of lower birth - but Gavia has had the drive to keep going… and keep getting closer to her brother’s murderer.

She’s kept soulstone close by just for him.

Campaign History:

N/A

Relationships:

-Saunio Family (Believe she’s dead)

-Her brother, Verno Saunio (Deceased)

-Agnus the Butcher (Superior officer and the aim of her vengeance)

Personality:

Gavia is easily described as ‘emo’ in modern terms thanks to her fascination with the dark arts, demons, and magic… and with how quiet she tends to be, bottling up her emotions and thoughts. She is also extremely determined, what with the memory of her brother’s severed head fresh in her mind almost all the time… and with her goal so very close. It’s actions like those committed by Agnus that have led her to believe there is no form of balance or real justice in the world, which is ultimately what led her to actively signing an agreement with a demon lord.

Currency:

Health: 20/20

Conditions: n/a

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#29 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,093 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Also, I finally made a short character. Happy now, Wolfy?  :P

That might never have changed, had she not, while hunting alone one night, come across a set of tracks like none she had ever seen before. Twenty-three at the time, curious, and confident in her skills as a hunter, she followed them to their source: and found herself facing a monstrous werewolf. Most people would have died there—and she very nearly did—but she had been born with the Gift of magic; with a blast of magical fire she managed to temporarily drive off the werewolf, injuring it a little, and buying herself some time to flee—taking off through the tree-tops. 

The flames also had another, entirely unintentional effect: attracting the attention of the group of Venatori who had been hunting the beast. The monster-hunters arrived just in the nick of time, killing the werewolf as it was clawing its way up the tree Hollí had gotten trapped in. One of the Venators jokingly complimented her on being "excellent bait", and then they left, their work complete.

But she could not so easily get over the events of that night. An avid huntress, the thought of something so monstrous, something she knew nothing about and could scarcely fight, bothered her deeply. And so before long she made a decision: she followed the hunters back to Castle Greywatch, and there joined the Venatori order.

Having been a Venator for almost thirty-eight years now, she is quite experienced. Although something of a divisive figure amongst the order due to her typically playful and immature attitude, she is nevertheless a dedicated and competent monster-hunter.

Yay! Yes, I am. :P

All of it sounds great, except for the fact that - you guessed it - we have yet another Venator motivated originally and/or solely by werewolf things (although why would the werewolf bother to continue trying to hunt her if she used magic against it powerful enough to drive it off the first time? Nitpick, I know, but... :P ). I can understand people gravitating toward werewolves as the monster catalyst in their Venatori bios, but it'd be great to have some variety. Of the Venatori sign-ups I've gotten over the years, over half of them became Venatori because of a werewolf and/or nearly died slaying one and/or got infected by one... Werewolves aren't the only monsters out there, and they're actually pretty darn rare.

So, yeah, I'd appreciate it if you could switch it to pretty much any other monster.

Gavia Saunio

All sounds good. Although, gosh, she's so young! :P But you're good to go.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#30 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

All of it sounds great, except for the fact that - you guessed it - we have yet another Venator motivated originally and/or solely by werewolf things (although why would the werewolf bother to continue trying to hunt her if she used magic against it powerful enough to drive it off the first time? Nitpick, I know, but... :P ). I can understand people gravitating toward werewolves as the monster catalyst in their Venatori bios, but it'd be great to have some variety. Of the Venatori sign-ups I've gotten over the years, over half of them became Venatori because of a werewolf and/or nearly died slaying one and/or got infected by one... Werewolves aren't the only monsters out there, and they're actually pretty darn rare.

So, yeah, I'd appreciate it if you could switch it to pretty much any other monster.

Well, I guess I chose that because I wanted something that she, as a wood-elf, would never have encountered or even heard of—since wood-elves sometimes have decent relations with things like vargs and trolls.

As to why it chased her: well, I was going with it being pissed off about getting hurt—wounded animals in real life can be exceptionally vicious and vindictive.

... Hmm.... would a basilisk be okay (like, a really young one since they're supposed to be super strong, right)?

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#31 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

Although, gosh, she's so young! :P

Ech, I'm bad at finding pictures of girls that look like boys. :V

#32 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:16 AM

Aaaand here we've got yet another mage (albeit of the more arcane variety) :U

-----

0e24a706040c2c53c8b600d5453055db--female

(Source is kinda in the picture, itself, there :v )

Morwyn Marks

Full Name: Morwyn Marks

Aliases: The Witch of Many Sizes

Race: Human (Achaean)

Birthplace: Eloh, Achaean Empire

Affinity: Fire

Deity: Astra Aeterna

Magic: Arcane

Faction: None

Talents: Arcane Lore, Subtlety, Thievery, Herbalism, Tailoring

Attributes

Agility: 6

Constitution: 3

Perception: 8

Spirit: 10

Luck: 4

Appearance: A little on the short side for a young Achaean lady, Morwyn is nonetheless striking in appearance and posture. Clearly of a higher breed, it’s somewhat ironic her clothes tend to be rather travel-worn, what with her being on the run from her family and the Inquisition, as she was proven to be a mage. As her appearance changes little - she’s stubborn like that - besides in size, most Inquisitors in the Northwestern Kingdom could probably recognize her.

Inventory: Merchant Pack

-1 full set of nice clothing

-1 brown traveling cloak

-1 iron dagger

-1 map of the Northwestern Kingdom

-Ale and rations

-1 Satchel of Arcane Tomes

-1 Satchel of Miscellaneous Herbs

-1 Lady's sewing kit

Biography:

Born and raised the youngest of the Mark family in the mining town of Eloh, Morwyn’s birth on the summer solstice caused more than a few rumors to spread and hang around her for a fairly long period of her life. As the young Marks grew, however, she decided to roll along with it, managing to get her hands on a few tomes of magic spells as a joke - assisted by a few less-than-good doers she got to know in her younger, (relatively, Eloh’s not exactly Illikon, y’know) wild days - and read them.

She grew surprisingly attached to the books, however, spending more and more time studying them. This sudden studiousness surprised her father, but it kept her distracted from trying to vy for his inheritance like her older siblings, so he let it slide. Thus, underneath the noses of her very family, Morwyn discovered and developed her innate Gift of magic.

Had she kept her own experiments in check, Morwyn could still be living amongst her family in the comfort of home, playing with magic endlessly. However, she robbed herself of her own pleasant life when she incautiously cast a growth spell. The space Morwyn had reserved for practice turned out to be… insufficient.

Thus, Eloh was quite briefly visited by one of the jotnar - granted, one who looked suspiciously like the Earl’s daughter - who took her sweet time toying with the helpless humans in fascination before realizing perhaps it was a good idea to leave. While such a large being has not been spotted since, Morwyn Marks had vanished with a number of rather thick arcane books and scrolls and remains missing - but sought for by the Marks family and Inquisition alike - throughout the northern Empire.

Campaign History:

N/A

Relationships:

Marks Family (Wanted Dead or Alive)

Eloh (Terrified)

Inquisition (Wanted Dead or Alive)

Personality:

While it’s been some time since her somewhat self-imposed exile, Morwyn retains her old noble mannerisms and a sense for distinguishing between peasants and those of higher bloodlines. As badly as she fears being taken by the Inquisition and losing the knowledge she went to great trouble to attain, she finds it very difficult to blend in as a nobody wherever she goes, leading the fugitive mage to keep her distance from others… until the need for proper bed and breakfast - even those shoddy shadows of her childhood accommodations provided by roadside inns - finally drives her back to civilization briefly.

Currency:

#33 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

Well, polished Phebei up a little for use in Sickness and in Health, mostly so she fits with the re-hauled Errant system.

-----

Name: Phebei

Race: Dryad (Epimeliad)

Birthplace: Imperial Heartland (not too far from Heathrow)

Affinity: Clay

Deity: Demeter

Magic: Spiritual

Faction: None

Talents: Herbalism, Charisma, Subtlety, Balanced Soul, Tailoring

Attributes

Agility: 8

Constitution: 5

Perception: 6 - 1 = 5

Spirit: 8 + 2 = 10

Luck: 4

Appearance: Phebei is a slim, short epimeliad who stands nearly five feet tall in her elven form. Her skin is pale, as if she hasn’t spent a day of her life in the sun. Her childlike face is neatly curtained by long, curly, light pink hair falling almost to her waist. The dryad’s wide eyes do little to change her childish appearance, wide - and also unnaturally pink - as they are. However, even while dressed in a simple, white, hand-woven robe of wool, Phebei is surprisingly more difficult to pick out of a crowd than some may give her credit for.

Inventory: (Farmer Pack)

-1 full set of simple clothing

-1 small knife

-2 clean bandages

-Ale and rations

-Cooking supplies

-Herbs

-Fresh bread

Biography:

Living in the heartland of the Empire is an… interesting experience for a dryad, to say the least. The almost consistent felling of trees to feed Achaean industry is an ever-present pain, one that Phebei has dealt with for as long as she can remember. Perhaps it is this that drove the dryad to begin her wanderings, communing with spirits near and far in search of a cure for the constant - if now very dull - phantom pain. From Justantion to Goldcrossing, the epimeliad searched for solace, briefly finding that discovering injured animals to help seemed to, if nothing else, divert her attention elsewhere and give her a fleeting sense of fulfillment.

But it never lasted long.

During her journeys, however, Phebei happened across Heathrow, and was immediately drawn by the sense of fading agony permeating the town. Curious and hopeful to have found some diversion, however brief, the dryad snuck into the makeshift hospital and found row upon row of wounded humans. Often under the cover of night, she consistently returned to try easing their pain or actively healing their wounds with what rudimentary knowledge of alchemy and herbs she collected on her journeys.

For weeks this continued and Phebei’s proficiency in stealth and herbalism improved as she did what she could to care for the soldiers… though she found the patrols thickening and many of the wounded under guard. It seemed her presence had not gone unnoticed, and so the dryad reluctantly retreated from the town; far enough to avoid detection, but not so much that she couldn’t still feel the spiritual turmoil of the wounded. It was a fortunately brief period of agony.

Which, ironically, ended when the plague came: and everything grew worse. Drawn back to the town in the hopes of doing something - anything - to help the sick and dying, Phebei openly revealed herself to offer help… which, naturally, did not end well as she retreated when it was clear she was not being openly accepted.

However, as days passed and the agony only grew worse, Phebei continued to return and try to help openly or otherwise when she was naturally refused - being arguably less humanoid than an elf - while the plague continued to spread. Eventually, her help was openly - if quite reluctantly - accepted, and since then the dryad has found herself in the midst of what others would call a nightmare, but Phebei sees it as a chance to find some ultimate fulfillment: an end to the pain that has permeated her life.

Campaign History:

N/A

Personality: Shy is perhaps the greatest quality that makes up Phebei’s character and governs most of her actions. While she has a great urge to heal those who suffer, oftentimes it is not great enough to overwhelm her fear of dealing with others… especially the humans that regularly slaughter trees and animals alike for their various industries. Still, even when these creatures are hurt Phebei cannot help but feel pity for them, and she’s come to understand in her time amongst humans that not all of them are so dedicated to the slaughter of nature as others.

Currency:

#34 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,093 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Aliases: The Witch of Many Sizes

-1 Satchel of Arcane Tomes

You and the size thing, Burgs. :P

Hm... I know you worked this into her bio and all, but could you cut it down to just one tome? Arcane tomes are extremely rare (and ancient) and even harder to acquire, as not many even exist - plus, the Inquisition keeps a very tight hold on that sort of thing. Their libraries are essentially the only ones in the Empire allowed to have tomes of arcane magic, under heavy guard and constant watch. It's fine for her to acquire one (though she would have to keep it secret from everyone; they're certainly nothing to joke about), but multiple is going a bit far.

Other than that, it all sounds good! Although I'm curious as to how wounds would translate over for changing size, if she can also turn so huge... Anyway, starting currency is 35 gold, 20 silver, 45 copper.

Sounds good! Starting currency is 2 gold, 50 copper. Hey, she doesn't interact with human society directly, right? :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#35 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

Sounds interesting!

I'll edit her into the roster once you decide whether or not you want to have any other characters besides Cornelius. I may allow trios for this...

#36 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Patron
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

You and the size thing, Burgs. :P

Hm... I know you worked this into her bio and all, but could you cut it down to just one tome? Arcane tomes are extremely rare (and ancient) and even harder to acquire, as not many even exist - plus, the Inquisition keeps a very tight hold on that sort of thing. Their libraries are essentially the only ones in the Empire allowed to have tomes of arcane magic, under heavy guard and constant watch. It's fine for her to acquire one (though she would have to keep it secret from everyone; they're certainly nothing to joke about), but multiple is going a bit far.

Other than that, it all sounds good! Although I'm curious as to how wounds would translate over for changing size, if she can also turn so huge... Anyway, starting currency is 35 gold, 20 silver, 45 copper.

Sounds good! Starting currency is 2 gold, 50 copper. Hey, she doesn't interact with human society directly, right? :P

You and your noms- wait crap that's my thing, too. Dammit.

Alright, I'll do a tad bit of fine-tuning between the two before I make their character posts. ^^

Sounds interesting!

I'll edit her into the roster once you decide whether or not you want to have any other characters besides Cornelius. I may allow trios for this...

Considering she's just a revamped version of the original Phebei I signed up with, yes I do want to use her :P

#37 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

These two are finally showing their faces again.

No, not Avarice and Oten (though they will show up at some point), these two:

Sir Gisburn "Guy" of Pikeston:

Spoiler

Loxley:

Spoiler

Edited by Dalton Westmoore, 19 September 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#38 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,093 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

I'm admittedly not clear on why these characters require special permission, unless you just mean the fact that they're a duo. I guess that's up to the DM on a campaign-by-campaign basis, but anyway, I'll look over them... :P

Spirit: 2

Loxley:

Aliases: Loxley, the Devil's advocate (by men), Tall, Dark, and Ruggedly Handsome (by women)

Spirit: 1

Just a heads-up - Charisma, as a talent, is influenced by your Spirit. With 2 Spirit, he isn't going to be able to do a whole lot with that Charisma talent. :P

Two things - you can only lower an attribute to 2 at the minimum (unless you have some kind of racial penalty, which can lower it to 1), and also, if he's supposed to be a chick magnet, he would have to have a little bit of spirit. Spirit attribute also includes your character's general magnetism; not really their physical attractiveness, but the power of their personality. If he has 1 spirit, he's basically a fickle, cowardly, easily broken fellow with all the charisma of an ugly, stained lampshade chewed on by bugs. :P

I really like Loxley's bio, though. It incorporates some fun Imperial culture that a lot of other current characters haven't.

Other than those little things (which are more just comments instead of things you have to change before they're acceptable), everything about them is all good.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#39 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

I'm admittedly not clear on why these characters require special permission, unless you just mean the fact that they're a duo. I guess that's up to the DM on a campaign-by-campaign basis, but anyway, I'll look over them... :P

Just a heads-up - Charisma, as a talent, is influenced by your Spirit. With 2 Spirit, he isn't going to be able to do a whole lot with that Charisma talent. :P

Two things - you can only lower an attribute to 2 at the minimum (unless you have some kind of racial penalty, which can lower it to 1), and also, if he's supposed to be a chick magnet, he would have to have a little bit of spirit. Spirit attribute also includes your character's general magnetism; not really their physical attractiveness, but the power of their personality. If he has 1 spirit, he's basically a fickle, cowardly, easily broken fellow with all the charisma of an ugly, stained lampshade chewed on by bugs. :P

I really like Loxley's bio, though. It incorporates some fun Imperial culture that a lot of other current characters haven't.

Other than those little things (which are more just comments instead of things you have to change before they're acceptable), everything about them is all good.

Mostly it was special permission because they were from that Sunchaser Campaign (i.e. an Rp that boiled down to a Middle-finger at Errant), but also because they are a duo, yes.

Okay, I edited that. It should be good now.

Thanks! 

#40 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Well, this went much faster than I anticipated:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dante Ardelean

Full Name: Dante Ardelean

Aliases: The Crimson Knight, The Blue-Eyed Devil

Sex: Male

Race: (Bat-) Vampire (Achæan)

Birthplace: The Blacklands, Achæan Empire

Affinity: Earth

Deity: Hades, Nyx

Faction: Knights of Dracon

Talents: Noble Combat, Acrobatics, Subtlety, Balanced Soul, Education (Old Achæan/High Imperial)

Attributes

Strength: 8

Agility: 8

Constitution: 4

Perception: 7 (5 + 2)

Spirit: 7

Luck: 2

Appearance:

Fairly tall, at 5’11’’, Dante is well-built, and strikingly handsome. His night-black hair is worn short and neat, and not even the slightest hint of facial hair is present. His eyes are an exceptionally clear, pale sapphire-blue. Even when he was human, his canine teeth were always somewhat longer and sharper than typical, giving his smiles a feral tinge.

Dante is clad primarily in black. He wears black leather boots, black pants, a black shirt and gambeson, and black leather gloves. The only other color in his outfit is crimson, patches of which serve as accents amongst the black. He also wears a fancy hooded cloak—black on the outside, with the entire inside being lined with red silk.

His armor is on the light side for a knight, consisting only of a thin, incomplete set of artfully-sculpted deepsilver plate: a cuirass formed of breast- and back- plates, with attached faulds, culet, and tassets to protect his waist, lower back, and thighs. In addition, he wears matching vambraces and greaves. Unusually for deepsilver armor, his has been enameled entirely gloss black—completely hiding the metal’s brilliant sheen. Like his clothing, accenting streaks of blood-red are mixed into the black in elegant lines and swirls. These accents on his armor and clothing make him look perpetually blood-spattered.

His primary weapon is a long-bladed estoc. In addition, he carries an artfully-forged, solid steel misericorde; on the flat area of the crossguard is engraved a small sigil: a dragon… or perhaps a bat—it shares some features of both—wrapped around a downward-pointing sword, its head resting on the pommel. Lastly, he carries a more conventional long-bladed steel dagger.

He rides a large, night black stallion warhorse, which is protected by a set of ornate black-and-red plate armor similar in style to his own, albeit made of common steel.

Inventory:

(Nobleman Pack)

• Clothing

• Steel estoc

• Steel misericorde

• Steel dagger

• Deepsilver plate armor (cuirass, faulds, culet, tassets, vambraces, greaves)

• Fancy cloak

OTHER POSSESSIONS: Black stallion, with steel horse armor.

Biography:

Dante’s family, a minor, but proud and skilled, noble house, dwelt in the Blacklands of the Achæan Empire east of Kyjovia—right at the foothills of the Jagged Edge. For generations, they served the Empire faithfully, serving as the area’s first line of defense against the depredations of the chaos races who dwelt in the mountains.

Perhaps they did their job too well. For over a century ago the family was utterly destroyed, in an attack so swift, ferocious, and without warning, that its occurrence was only discovered when the smoke was seen rising over where the castle once stood. Dante, eighteen at the time, was the sole survivor—and he never spoke of what precisely transpired, leaving the end of the House of Ardelea one of history’s enigmas, the house itself forgotten by all but the most avid historians.

Dante followed his desire for vengeance into the knightly Order of the Dragon, there to continue his lost family’s war against the chaos races.

Now 140 years old, he still serves as a Knight of Dracon. Even after 112 years as a vampire—having accepted ‘salvation’ from one of his comrades after being mortally wounded in battle—he has never allowed his nature to interfere with his sworn duty of protecting the Empire and casting the creatures of chaos back into the pit they crawled from, channeling his bloodlust into his fighting.

Campaign History:

None

Relationships:

None

Personality:

Dante is, in many respects, very nearly a sociopath, his capacity for human empathy verging on zero. However, while almost devoid of empathy, he is unfailingly moral. His duty to the Empire supersedes all, and when forced to feed from Imperial citizenry, he does his best to leave them alive. However, his faithfulness to the Empire also means he has little tolerance for foolishness or incompetence by Imperial officials or soldiers—viewing it as an insult and threat to the realm.

Dante lives—such as it is—to fight in the service of the Empire, ever eager to face any of its foes when called upon, or if the opportunity otherwise presents itself, though he always prefers to fight the chaos races when possible.

Although his smiles are frequent, if typically without any warmth behind them, in battle he is never seen without a grin of utter mirth and satisfaction upon his face. The more violent the struggle, the more blood and death surrounds him, the wider his smile tends to become as he carves a crimson path across the field. Against all foes of the Empire, inhuman or human, he is utterly ruthless, neither leaving survivors nor taking prisoners. For good reason do some of the soldiers who have served with him call him ‘The Blue-Eyed Devil’.

Currency:

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)