• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#281 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

Well, whenever I clicked 'Compose New', it would display an Error.

But it looks like it was temporary. :P

#282 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,443 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

I used to be able to access the forum freely on my work computer (only when things get slow, naturally), but now every browser I use tells me that the site is unavailable. Is there a known workaround, or should I just chalk this up to the clunky Vista on my end?

Specifically, chrome tells me err_name_not_resolved and that the DNS lookup failed. I.E. says the latter, amongst other broad possibilities.

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#283 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

We often have the same problem on our ISP at home...

The only workaround I know of right now is to use Google's Public DNS servers instead of the ones automatically given to you by your ISP. You don't need to set up a static IP; all you need to do is alter the DNS servers your computer is using. You can do it under the TCP/IP 4 settings on your network.

Here's a Google page about it with the DNS numbers (8.8.8.8 for the primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 for secondary). It has some instructions on the Get Started page of how to do all this stuff.

I'm actually using this right now, because our ISP is currently giving us the same problem.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#284 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

I'm currently looking into why this happens. I don't know if it's something I can correct on the server end, but maybe...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#285 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,443 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

Well, I checked in this morning, and the problem seems to have gone away!  I'll definitely save those instructions in case it happens again, though.  Thank you!

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#286 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

Ok”y sÀ every †Àst I „”ke kee†s †€‰‰ing €† weir‹ sy„bÀ‰s ”n‹ the ‰ike, which c”n be seen in the bÀ”r‹ g”„e tÀ†ic in the g”„ing fÀr€„.

Link: htt†://fÀr€„s.s”ber-scÀr†iÀn.cÀ„/in‹ex.†h†?shÀwtÀ†ic=10590#entry452487

Edited by Gentleman Psychopath, 25 July 2015 - 07:45 PM.

mudkip.png

#287 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Is it „y ‰inks, Àr is it everything?

mudkip.png

#288 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

Uhhhhh... okay, it looks like you've got a serious problem there, Gentleman Psychopath. Have you tried using a different browser or a different computer - perhaps a cell phone? I can only guess that it's some incompatibility with your system and the forums. Try using a different browser and/or installing system updates too. Let me know if any of this helps...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#289 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

Testing testing 1,2,3

Chrome:

”bc‹efghijk‰„nÀ†›rst€vwxyz

Mozzilla Firefox:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Okay so Firefox works, is anybody else that uses chrome experiencing these issues? I know they were dropping support for a couple things soon

Edited by Gentleman Psychopath, 26 July 2015 - 11:26 AM.

mudkip.png

#290 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:42 PM

Chrome works for me on mac, win, and android.

#291 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:01 PM

Chrome works for me on mac, win, and android.

Testing on chrome again. fidgeted with some settings

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

EDIT: don't know what caused it but it's fixed now

Edited by Gentleman Psychopath, 26 July 2015 - 11:02 PM.

mudkip.png

#292 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:23 AM

I always use Chrome for the forums, and I haven't had any problems.

Firefox and Chrome dropped support for Flash (jerks), but that shouldn't affect my website unless you're using the Wulfgard or Nova Refuge skins, which have flash menus. I will have to change them over to HTML some time, like I did with the main Lair menu...

Anyway, I'm glad it's working for you now.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#293 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:26 AM

Type in their names separated by commas. As in:

Saber-Scorpion, Maverick-Werewolf

When you start typing in the name, wait a moment and the forums should automatically pop up a list of usernames that begin with those letters. Click on each name to add that user to the row.

The Saber-Scorpion's Lair header has not used Flash for years. Switch to the "SSLF Desert Twilight" or "SSLF Desert Night" skin. Those should work fine.

I'll probably change the Wulfgard header to not use Flash soon (R.I.P. awesome clickable raven), but I don't know when I'll get around to doing the same with Nova Refuge. Until then, you can still tell your browser to run the plugin anyway.

Well... I like using the NR Deep Space skin. But that uses flash. :P So maybe I'll prolly switch over to Desert Night.

I always use Chrome for the forums, and I haven't had any problems.

Firefox and Chrome dropped support for Flash (jerks), but that shouldn't affect my website unless you're using the Wulfgard or Nova Refuge skins, which have flash menus. I will have to change them over to HTML some time, like I did with the main Lair menu...

Anyway, I'm glad it's working for you now.

I don't really blame them for dropping Flash until I read about it. Essentially, Flash is an old, dying program that can be exploited easily. YouTube is no longer Flash based, but HTML5 based, if you can believe that.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#294 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

Oh, I'm well aware of the long-held grudge against Flash by snooty web developers. I've argued about it before. :P Steve Jobs plunged the dagger in Flash a long time ago when he refused to allow it to run on Apple iOS, which was the beginning of the end for it as a web plugin. That's the reason I had to change my menu - it wouldn't show up on phones, and everyone surfs the web on their phone now.

But only the web plugin is "dying" - the program itself is still widely used by animators for film/TV, even by Disney/Pixar.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#295 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

Oh, I'm well aware of the long-held grudge against Flash by snooty web developers. I've argued about it before. :P Steve Jobs plunged the dagger in Flash a long time ago when he refused to allow it to run on Apple iOS, which was the beginning of the end for it as a web plugin. That's the reason I had to change my menu - it wouldn't show up on phones, and everyone surfs the web on their phone now.

But only the web plugin is "dying" - the program itself is still widely used by animators for film/TV, even by Disney/Pixar.

I also didn't realize how much of a strain it puts on CPUs. At least it used to, IDK if it still does.

Also, a bug i've found recently is that multi-quote doesn't work for me anymore. IDK if thats just a problem I'm having or if anyone else is...

EDIT: Yay multi-quote works again! :DD

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#296 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hey Scorp and/or Wolfy-

I never had this problem until I changed my name, but once I changed it (and still persists when I change it back), my PC logs me out of SSLF every few hours or so. If I go to the store (next town over) and come back, I click SSLF and am signed out. If I stay active for hours on end, I'm fine. But if I'm inactive for a few hours, I get logged out.

Also, I can (and have) left SSLF running for about 36 hours on my macbook sans refresh, and it's fine. So it's a problem with my PC.

I've cleared my cache, and made sure that there wasn't a conflicting password saved. Any ideas?

#297 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

Hmm, have you tried using a different browser? Be sure your browser is set to accept cookies.

Your IP address might be changing a lot for some reason. I could try disabling IP address validation, but it's considered a good security measure to leave it in place to prevent session hijacking.

Anyone else having this problem?

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#298 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

Same browser on both computers (Chrome). I restarted the PC earlier when I got off and it's been ~3 hours, and I'm still logged in. So now I have to check in 4/5 hours to see if I'm still logged in.

What's weird (to me) is that it was a problem that only popped up when I was inactive on that computer.

UPDATE: Am now in the clear. Left it alone for ~8 hours overnight and I am still logged in upon refresh. Restarting the computer did the trick, for whatever reason.

#299 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:58 AM

UPDATE: Am now in the clear. Left it alone for ~8 hours overnight and I am still logged in upon refresh. Restarting the computer did the trick, for whatever reason.

:P

Well, I'm glad it seems to be working again!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#300 Sovereign64

Sovereign64

Rookie

• 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:13 AM

How to post videos on the forum?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users