• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

Oh, I encourage atypical opinions. :P But as far as X-Men 3 goes, I can't really agree. I thought it was a huge waste of the buildup of the first 2 movies. It wasted characters (killing them off-hand), wasted the Phoenix story, and wasn't even long enough (it's like 30 minutes shorter than the other 2).

*Raises hand*

I quite liked the original, X2, First Class, and DOFP.

I did NOT like 3 or Origins. So when people started comparing Apocalypse to those, all plans of me seeing it went out the window. But now I'm seeing talk in favor of it enough to make it seem mixed instead of overtly negative.

I thought exactly the same thing, which is why I waited so long to go see it. But finally I just went "You know, I actually want to see this, so screw it, I'll give it a shot" - and my low expectations probably helped, but I was pleasantly surprised. If you liked First Class and DOFP, I think you'll like this one. And there's a pretty funny joke at the expense of X3. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#62 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:05 AM

It wasted characters (killing them off-hand), wasted the Phoenix story, and wasn't even long enough (it's like 30 minutes shorter than the other 2).

But you see, those aren't reasons why you think it's bad, those are examples of things that you think are bad in it. I liked the Phoenix story in it, and if I remember correctly the reason Cyclops was killed immediately was because he had to do another movie.

Cyclops always acted like a jerk in the original trilogy anyway, which was a little disappointing to me since he was one of my favorite characters from the animated show.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#63 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

But you see, those aren't reasons why you think it's bad, those are examples of things that you think are bad in it. 

So a movie isn't bad if it has bad things in it? I'm confused.

I honestly haven't seen the original trilogy in a long time, so I can't comment on X1, X2, or X3, though I remember really disliking X3 when I saw it in theaters. For the reasons scorpy said. Cyclops being killed off-screen was a big black mark for me.

I quite like Days of Future Past and First Class though! Quite a lot. I didn't see The Wolverine, and I remember very little from Origins. I'll probably see Apocalypse at some point, but it does have Sophie Turner in it. I don't like her much. :P 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#64 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,082 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:36 AM

But you see, those aren't reasons why you think it's bad, those are examples of things that you think are bad in it.

...what's the difference? How else do you describe a movie being bad?

X-Men 3 was a poor movie from a talentless director which threw away beloved characters from previous movies (either by unceremoniously killing them off, depowering them, or just having them kind of leave the movie halfway through), introduced dumb new characters of its own like Porcupine Man and Arms Grow Back Guy, has a long flashback scene in which Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are de-aged with terrible CGI, and then goes back on all its major events at the end when the post-credits scenes show Magneto getting his powers back and Professor X waking up in a new body. Why get rid of them in the first place?

#65 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

...what's the difference? How else do you describe a movie being bad?

Well to be fair, Scorp said he that he thought the Phoenix story was wasted and that it should have been longer, but he didn't explain why. That's what I'm kinda looking for. The whole wasted characters thing is self-explainatory though.

Currently typing on an iPhone, so 'scuse my brevity.

gTAoKX.gif

#66 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

Actually, pretty much how Cyclops was handled in the movies period pissed me off. X3 was just the last straw. But X3 also:

-(Like Scorp said) haphazardly killed off characters for little to no reason.

-Completely pissed on a really good base plot. The whole 'mutant cure' thing was the logical extreme of the mutants/'different' IRL groups of people dichotomy that had been a running theme of the movies, and really the comics themselves at times. And it was so poorly handled.

-What was even the point of Angel? He was literally in all of about 2 and a half scenes in the entire film.

Really the only saving graces about the film were Beast, Kitty, and Juggernaut, barring Xavier and Magneto as always... even though they made Magento do that thing to Mystique.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - TBA (PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#67 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

Pronounced Jo-siv-ah Flh-call. He is a ninja. 0.0

• Nova Member
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:14 AM

Saw this last night, thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Some of Sansa's lines weren't very convincing, but other than that I really liked this movie. A nice way to end the trilogy with McAvoy/Fassbender/Lawrence.

serenitysig.png

Click the Picture, you know you want to ;)

#68 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

Okay--um-- I totally lowered y'alls expectations-- so, uh-- you're welcome.

gTAoKX.gif

#69 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

Well to be fair, Scorp said he that he thought the Phoenix story was wasted and that it should have been longer, but he didn't explain why. That's what I'm kinda looking for.

Sorry for the late response, but Ocelot and Spark already covered most of it. The movie took an important X-Men storyline (Phoenix saga) and an idea with a lot of story potential (cure for mutants), and then mashed them together in a slightly-too-short film that didn't do justice to either one. The Phoenix was just Jean Grey going crazy and vaporizing people and then getting killed. Not very impressive or interesting. Most of the characters - including some of the best ones (especially Mystique, who was badass until J-Law ruined her) - get killed or cured or written out really early, and all of the new mutants introduced are lame (from Angel to the bizarro cast of villains they threw together, many of whom bore no resemblance at all to the characters they were named after). And there were just no really cool and memorable scenes. Like, you know when Magneto escapes the prison by sucking the iron out of that dude's blood and killing everyone with it? Awesome. There was nothing like that in X3.

I was a big fan of the first 2 movies, so it was all really disappointing to me.

So what did you like about it? The only good thing I can think of is that Kelsey Grammer was a perfect choice for Beast. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#70 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

So what did you like about it? The only good thing I can think of is that Kelsey Grammer was a perfect choice for Beast. :P

I think Ellen Page was a great Kitty Pryde, too, but apart from those two I really can't think of anything that's actually good in that movie.

9O8KPNN.jpg?1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marvel / DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users