119 replies to this topic

#1 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

POPULAR

Earlier today me and Klaykid (okay it was entirely his idea) were talking about little short story concepts for Rise that we had no place to put, and an idea popped into SSLF's Second Sexist Southerner's head-make a topic here in the ODB where anyone is free to put up any one-off stories, short scenes, plot concepts or what have you that wouldn't merit it's own topic but is still worth sharing. Thus we give you Tales of the Verse, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit a simple little place where you can post absolutely any piece of Rise-related fiction with no other place to be. All submissions are welcome and encouraged, whether you want to introduce a galaxy-changing new dealy or just add a little flavor to the verse, feel free to come on in and share with us what ya got!

I would have a demonstration but the fish didn't agree with me tonight. >_> But! I'm sure Klay will be along promptly to show y'all what we mean with this. Annnnnny second now.

*ducks out*

The Prestigious List of contributions, sorted by author, now in Google Doc form so anyone can add to it!

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

ezgif_com_b873041021.gif

#2 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

I was just thinking about something like that...

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#3 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

I actually have the Haruka story I always meant to publish, but it's only 1/3rd of the way done, and I keep getting distracted trying to draw something Rise related I wanna surprise the gang with.

giphy.gif

#4 Burngirl

Burngirl

You are clear for takeoff.

• Nova Member
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

I'm not sure if I should try a short story about Diana's past with the AIAA (Alien Infiltration Assassination Association), but I think it would put a light on the alien rebellions going around in secret on Homeworld and the like when the Empire ruled.

Posted Image

Photograph by me, editions made in Paint.net

Click the picture if you want to see my photography collection.

#5 Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl

*screech*

• 1,454 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'll get one of my older stories about Fred I never finished refurbished and put up.
-Pterodactyl

#6 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

POPULAR

A Father's Grief

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRHyG5CxJI

(107 AF)
A tune floated through the air, the melody soft and flowing like a gentle stream of water. The tune is an old song, something from another planet entirely. The tropical planet of Westros has seen many visitors before, each carrying with them the culture of another race of human beings. Karsol, Northern Federation, Novian, and one particular Ossyrian woman. She whistles a song from her homeworld which is long gone as she hung up the laundry upon clothes lines outside her house. She had her long brown hair tied back with a few strands that fell to the front of her face. Her attire consisted of short pants with a red plaid button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows. A white bandana is tied over her head shielding her from the sun's heat. Her motherly appearance gave her a soft and gently look as she went about the house cleaning.

A stranger noticed the tune, finding it oddly familiar and made his way up the dirt path to the home. He slicked back his wild hair with a mechanical right arm. Hazel eyes settled themselves from the surroundings to the woman who finished up her laundry. A puff of cigarette smoke escaped his lips and dissolved into the sky leaving behind the scent of burning tobacco leaves.

“T'ss an odd tune,” he called out. “Sad tune only 'n Ossyrian would know.”

Autumn Keyes quickly turned around to the man walking up to the small wooden gate that separated the home from the rest of the grassy plains. He has features that reminded her of her late husband, wild hair, hazel eyes, even the man's speech patterns. There wasn't any doubt he is an Ossyrian. But just because he is one of her own doesn't mean she can trust him.

“It's a song that will die out sooner or later,” she replied.

“Like our people, huh? Ain't that a B.”

“What's your name, stranger?”

“Just call me Tusco. N' you are, little lady?”

“Autumn, Autumn Keyes.”

Shock ran up the spine of Tusco when the name 'Keyes' entered the air. It is an uncommon name back on Ossyria, a very uncommon name. But the man regained his composure and leaned against the gate, tapping the edge of his cigarette to dispel the ash. Autumn squinted her eyes at Tusco and cocked a brow.

“You know, you look just like my husband Abraham.”

And there it is again. The feeling of shock that rattled through his heart. Abraham, Abraham Keyes. There is no doubt that she is talking about his son. Tusco had to use the gate to support his body, otherwise he would have fallen to the ground.

“Abraham, huh? I knew a man named Abraham Keyes. Where is he, the ol' son-of-a-gun?” he uttered.

Autumn looked at him quizzically.

“I'm sorry, Mr. Tusco, but he has passed away fifteen years ago.”

“No, ma'am, I should be the one who's sorry.”

To not be there when his son grew up is one thing, but to know that his son is dead is something no father would know how to handle. Life isn't supposed to be like this. The son buries the father, not the other way around. And now, everything is gone. His entire life whisked away in a single event. Autumn clearly saw that the man is in distress, so she invited him up for a drink. Tusco needed it.

Autumn served Tusco a bit of Tzeenosaurian Drop, the same she had in storage since Rodrig paid her a lovely visit so many years ago. Frankly, the stuff burned the nostrils and made Tusco's nose bleed. He coughed up a few times before being able to regain his composure. A few tears formed at the edges of his eyes.

“This... 'his is some 'ouerful stuff,” he choked.

“Yeah, it takes a while to get used to.”

Tusco's eyes peered around the house at all the pictures on the walls. But what really caught his attention were two pictures side by side. One of them is of this woman, Autumn, in a wedding dress being held by a man with wild hair, hazel eyes, and the uniform of an Ossyrian soldier. Beside it is a picture of Autumn with two young children. They looked identical to their father in a lot of ways. Tusco nodded in the direction of the photograph and Autumn acknowledged his request. He took the picture off of the wall and stared at it with wide eyes. He smiled as he fought the tears that dared to form.

My son, look at how much ya' have grown these many years. Ya' look just like ya' ol' papa right down ta' our smiles. I'm sure ya' grew up into a fine man, ya' didn't need me or ya' mother at all. But, I'm sorry, my son. I'm sorry I wasn't here fer ya', I'm sorry I couldn't guide ya' through life like me papa did. Ya' have a nice family, son, a beautiful wife and two children.

He set the picture back on the wall with surgical precision.

I don't know why ya' left them, but I'm sure it was beyond ya' control. I'm going ta' look out fer ya' kids, me grandchildren. I'm gonna make sure they live a good life, I'm gonna make sure they know how much we all love ya'.

Tusco couldn't bare to face Autumn with such a sullen look. He thanked her for the drink and bid her a good evening. The time-shocked Ossyrian calmly walked out of the house whistling a soft tune.

gdV21HZ.gif

#7 Aerion

Aerion

I've been calling it "Meep Morp."

• Nova Member
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

((thought I'd focus on my other characters.))

An engineer went to his garage late at night. He couldn't sleep and he had a project he wanted to work on. With little family to speak of, nothing stopped the man from working. He drove down the street in his car and pulled up to the little business. Not a big one, but the people that did come spent enough money for him to keep going. H.M.V.s were expensive tools without a doubt. Only a few mechanics knew how to fix them, even less knew how to build them. But the man enjoyed the challenge. Above the door read "Enkaria Industries" with a note telling customers to go straight in the back. He was never at the desk anyway.

As soon as he opened the door he saw that the lights were already on. They usually were, his employee never seemed to get enough of his work. At his desk he could read his own name, Todd Enkaria. He loved this business, met a lot of interesting people too. Having worked for the Empire before, he knew most of the loopholes. He could sell to almost anybody as long as they could pay. H.M.V.s were still fairly new, so a license wasn't needed to own them yet. They were growing very popular with mercenaries. Soldiers couldn't afford them usually, the government couldn't spend that much money on a single man's life. Got to hate the government like that. Armies are expendable. That's why Todd dealt mostly with mercenaries. They were all people.

He opened up the back door to the garage itself. It was much bigger than most people could afford, but Todd spent more of his time here than his own house. He'd sell that before he lost this place. Still, it was hard to find his employee, who actually was forced to stay here. Law required Todd to keep a restraining anklet on him due to his access to more dangerous tools such as plasma cutters and welders. Todd called for him.

"Max! Where are you boy?"

Immediately a Kincar jumped down from one of the H.M.V.s. He was young and energetic, even at this hour of night. By earth standards, it would have been about 2AM. Kincar however didn't react the same to light, spending a lot of their time before being enslaved in dark caves. Max however was taken at a young age, and had spent almost his whole life in the daylight. Still, it was natural for him to find something invigorating about the dark. Another thing to notice was the fact Max was barefoot. Kincar were able feel the earth around them when on a natural or hard surface. The concrete floors were fine, though Max had told Todd that things were "a bit blurry" when he was walking on metal. Either way, he still had three perfectly good eyes to see with. Relying on your feet wasn't always efficient.

"Hey Todd!" The alien reacted enthusiastically "What are you doing here so late?" Despite being a slave, Max had always been fascinated with human technology. The mining rigs he saw used on his home planet were similar to the H.M.V.s piloted by humans, and the kincar was picked for his enthusiasm towards the idea. Better than working as a miner like so many others of his race. The only reminder of his slavehood was the retraining anklet on his leg, and even that didn't bother him.

Todd smiled back. "Couldn't sleep. Thought I'd work on that flight project." Max knew exactly the project he was talking about. Todd seemed to be obsessed with getting that thing more than five feet off the ground. Even Max was a bit worried about what could happen.

"Didn't you say last time that we should leave ambitious stuff like that to Decel?" the Kincar asked.

Todd felt his neck. His last burn was pretty nasty and would probably leave him scarred. The red flesh there still itched, but Todd ignored it. "No. We're getting that thing to work. One day Enkaria Industries will be just as important as Erachin's."

"We're just two people." Max pointed out.

Todd grabbed his toolbox and started walking to the engine room. "No we're not Max." He said. The slave began to follow his friend. "We're a team. And with two geniuses like us, we can do what Decel alone can't dream of." He tossed a wrench to Max, who caught it perfectly.

Todd winked. "Let's get to work."

cWFIAIC.gif

#8 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

Dabbling in Conspiracy

Edited by The Captain, 12 March 2014 - 11:33 PM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#9 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

A Mysterious Origin

Unknown Frozen Planet, Southern Rim
109 AF

How did this marvel of science managed to go undiscovered for so long is beyond the scientist. He stroked his clean shaven face hidden away by a heavy extreme environment suit. The sheer cold of the planet could make a man's testicles crawl back up inside him and have them hang outside his mouth. As the scientist pushed forwards into the white horizon. Small poles that stuck out from the ground had red flashing tips, identifying the safest trail for one to take should they venture the planet. The scientist stopped in his tracks, a little distraught at the fact that he had hoped this discovery would be his alone. But, curiosity took the better of him. Barely visible through the thick snowfall are the familiar wings of a starship. This is it, the legends are true.

The scientist pulled up his wrist gauntlet and pressed a few buttons on the holographic interface.

“Log, fifteen hours into the descent I have come across marker pylons in the white fog. Someone has been to this place before and even went through the trouble to mark out the safest route. Judging by the proximity to the once super power Ossyria, it is highly likely that an Ossyrian, or even the Ossyrian military, were surveying the wreckage of this alien vessel.”

The man walked over the icy hill revealing an old abandoned base. The field stretched for some distance with old looking equipment littered around the broken down shelters. Old Ossyrian loaders and other construction equipment rested in an icy tomb. The scientist checked into his log again.

“Significant findings, a large force of peoples were here many years ago.”

The man made his way down the hill as fast as he could, observing his surroundings with a careful eye. Who knows what could still be around these parts. The man stopped in front of the encampment and glanced around to be careful. He moved towards the largest shelter with a breaker bar in hand. He stuck the edged bar into the crack of the metal door and pulled as hard as he could. With a loud bang, the bar blew up the hinges causing the thick metal to fall to the ground.

The shelter lacked furniture or anything that displayed evidence of human remains. There were the stray pieces of paper on the ground but were frozen in place by a few inches of ice. Using the tip of his boot, the man brushed a few slithers of snow to see the contents of the paperwork. Out of the paragraphs with official Ossyrian stamps, the name “Prometheus” stood out. It is everywhere, on every corner, at every edge, and sealed in black ink and secrecy. To be honest, despite the lack of furniture, the placed looked to have been abandoned in a hurry. There were too many vehicles, so that ruled out malfunctioning equipment. The generators were able to survive the harsh cold, even the damn shelters were left with many materials left frozen in inches of ice.

Then the scientist pressed onwards to the rear of the shelter where a set of double doors stood on guard. He used the butt of his breaker bar to crack the ice off of a control terminal and brushed the shavings for him to get a better look. The language looked to be an old form of Ossyrian English as some of the words had origins back to ancient German and Korean in the 21st Century stage of Earth. But deciphering the security code is a piece of cake. The man plugged in a small device, and in a matter of half an hour, the doors slowly slid open. The scientist became very pleased as he stood in front of the sliding metal doors. Inside is a skeleton, wearing an old 30-ish AF Ossyrian uniform, cradling a strange purple spiked canister. The scientist moved forwards and broke away the canister (along with a few fingers). His eyes scanned the printed name on the canister.

“Prometheus.”

gdV21HZ.gif

#10 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

Wanted to do that for a moment, Earl's thoughts through the trilogy, and what lead to his choices... Mostly to patch where I couldn't throughout the roleplays. Here's the part one of three.
-------

Rise

Earl's War Memories

96 AF, the Hellhound

The Madness had been stored in his slot of the Hellhound, Earl walked back to his room to get some sleep. They’ve been fighting against pirates for three days straight, barely eating and resting. The elder members of the Knights were in the Hellhound, while the younger members were testing their skills in battle.

Juni powered the Ripper and began to work on the many damaged HMVs. Slice and Hacker repairing the damaged controls and screens inside the cockpits. Hacker moved his access stairs close to the Madness and climbed inside, taking a battery pack/computer and plugging it in the Madness’ cockpit. Hacker pressed several buttons on the computer and a loading screen appeared. He locked the pack on the edge of the cockpit and rolled away with the stairway, to another mech.

Storyteller was walking behind the HMVs, calmly reading a book on the catwalks. Suddenly a beeping was heard on one of Earl’s oldest computer. Teller could hear Earl’s voice on it and walked closer. He grabbed the shoulder armor and swung himself into the cockpit. He flipped a switch and several logs appeared. Teller scratched his chin and sat down.

He clicked on the oldest one on the board.

Spoiler

Teller closed the log and opened another.

Spoiler

Edited by The unknown, 03 October 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#11 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Chapter 1

Spoiler

giphy.gif

#12 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

At first I thought you were writing how Kanade became so bitter because of Haruka. Turns out she's born that way. :P

And really, is there only like ... 200 person in this galaxy ?!? Everybody knows each other. XD

Edited by The unknown, 04 October 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#13 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

Continued from Tragedy of the Heavenly Spirit II. Some of this is likely to change, but for the most part it’s not on the wiki yet because I’m real lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0wPBYDQ6Y&feature=related

Ghost Rider II turned away from the mass of cyborg zombies as he heard the cart behind him start to move. As it entered his line of sight, it shot off, rolling away into the distance. Ghost’s eyes widened a fraction, but before he could react, the husks reached him.

Turning faster than most men should be able, Rider hurled his minigun at the nearest silhouette shambling toward him, and pulled his infamous umbrella-gun-sword from somewhere in the depths of his riding coat. As the first husk fell, another came at him from the side, and promptly took a glob of plasma to the head.

The husks began to surround him after that, knowing he only had one shot. Ghost Rider twirled the sword-gun in his hand expertly as he slowly began to back away, only to find husks covering any escape routes he could take. Ghost swallowed his throat dry as the creatures slowly closed in. There was no escape, he would die here, and Steven would be left to his own devices. Just when they were-

Then his communication device hummed gently in his ear.

“We’ve got your back, Rider.”

By then the husks had thinned out, finishing off or chasing the other stranded mercs away, so only a thin circle surrounded Ghost Rider. Now around that circle, glowing eyes materialized. The contingency plan.

Every husk around Ghost fell simultaneously, split through the middle by a variety of blades, from katanas to longswords. As their smoking corpses collapsed, the ring of eyes closed in, taking on the vague shapes of Red Rider infantry – Ghost Rider’s personal army of clone soldiers. Among them, one shape caught Ghost II’s attention. War, one of the Riders of the Apocalypse.

“What’s going on?” Rider II asked as he approached the familiar shape. War, while being a Ghost clone, had undergone major surgery after one of his first engagements, resulting in his cyborg implants and unique (at least, compared to the other Riders) features.

“Conqueror wants you alive,” War replied, with a slight dramatic flourish. The old man was usually cooped up in a dusty office on a desert planet with little better to do than think up of theatrical contingency plans, so Ghost II didn’t mind it.

“Right. Let’s go then.”

Moments later, there was no sign of the squad but their disposed enemies. If there was one thing Ghost Rider Prime, better known by his private army as Conqueror, it was his obsession over advanced technology. Most of it bought in cloned and Illuminati blood.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#14 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

Chapter 2

Spoiler

giphy.gif

#15 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Spoiler

Edited by mirage, 15 October 2012 - 10:50 PM.

What if Rise Had an RTS Game Based Off It for its many factions? Ideas Here:
Rise and Conquer: Compiled
Check out my Youtube channel for occasional casts and voice clips.

#16 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

So it's the story of the Karsol Truckstop.

Where an Ossyrian space trucker has his truck refueled by a Kahadan clerk, owned by a guy from Homeworld and where a drunk man from the Northern Federation tries to get in a fight with an aristocrat from Lykofos.

Anyone interested in that ?

#17 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Where an Ossyrian space trucker has his truck refueled by a Kahadan clerk, owned by a guy from Homeworld and where a drunk man from the Northern Federation tries to get in a fight with an aristocrat from Lykofos.

I know this idea is a little overused, but then they all turn out to be Ghost clones or maybe even Illuminati agents poking fun at each other.

Do it.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#18 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

God, we were talking about this on messenger that resulted after the question in why Karsol would be so vital between the Empire and Hydra League and I end up mentioning possibe fueling point. XD

Edited by mirage, 20 October 2012 - 08:35 AM.

What if Rise Had an RTS Game Based Off It for its many factions? Ideas Here:
Rise and Conquer: Compiled
Check out my Youtube channel for occasional casts and voice clips.

#19 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

God, we were talking about this on messenger that resulted after the question in why Karsol would be so vital between the Empire and Hydra League and I end up mentioning possibe fueling point. XD

ANYTHING can create a story. :P

I mean, come on, Clyde became an interesting character and a memetic badass (and sex god, seriously these nights on Google Docs were a psychologist's field trip) by being conceived as boring. Anything can be written. :P

#20 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

ANYTHING can create a story. :P

I mean, come on, Clyde became an interesting character and a memetic badass (and sex god, seriously these nights on Google Docs were a psychologist's field trip) by being conceived as boring. Anything can be written. :P

ugh, I remember those heinous conversations.

Anyways, I'd be down for a space trucker story.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users