• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#41 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

Cool, I like the wrognoth/wragnoth thing as well as the little sketches you did with different characters' facial expressions and head...shapes. I actually really like your idea of taking all of the cool stuff from other mammalian creatures in order to make the wrognoth/wragnoth, but I think that the females need utters.

...Sorry. :P

Also, nice job on Kye. Now, dragons...Stormkrag...you know.

Posted Image

#42 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

I'm still in full support of Wrognoth with paws for feet and tails. But that's not surprising, I suppose. I do agree with Justin, though, that putting them into NR might be a bit difficult in some respects...

Now excuse me while I continue wishing I could sketch like Justin can so that I can make some awesome sketches of my characters like that one of Kye. :wub: I mean, I'd comment on more sketches, but I've seen all of them already, and I even watched him draw quite a few of them. He already knows I love them all. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#43 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

The drawings of the Wrognoth are pretty cool and they sound like awesome creatures but I don't see how they really fit into the Nova Refuge universe. They just strike me as something you'd more likely see in Wulfgard. Their purpose also seems pretty similar to the Slashrim, which I think dilutes the distinctness of the species in Nova Refuge.

It also might be difficult to explain why they weren't mentioned in Warrior Born. :P Nevertheless, they look awesome and I'm sure they'd be popular wherever they go. :)

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#44 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

It just occurred to me that Nova Refuge has no snow faction. Maybe the Wrognoth could be why?

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#45 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

It just occurred to me that Nova Refuge has no snow faction. Maybe the Wrognoth could be why?

The Sarran have a strong resistance to cold granted by their evolution to live on their ice covered home planet, Ecirron. Sarran living on more temperate planets prefer to live on high mountain peaks and in cooler areas for this reason. The Sarran inhabited part of Womloc, 'The White Lands', is the most southern part of the continent and therefore closer to the southern arctic region of Terra Nova. The White Lands is also covered with high mountains where the Sarran build their well-hidden cities.

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

#46 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

You need to work on your handwriting.
Old timer

#47 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

He needs to make it 20% more awesome, I think.

#48 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Scorp, lern2draw fingers :I

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#49 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

Wow, this is some really nice constructive criticism and interesting comments on the style and content of the sketches, guys. Very helpful and inspiring.

I suppose this is the reason Scorpy never made this topic before now. :rolleyes:

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#50 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

You need to work on your handwriting.

I can't think of any reason to bother.

Scorp, lern2draw fingers :I

To what exactly are you referring...?

-Scorp

latest_comic.png
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#51 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

Well, it's not very convenient for me to highlight it right now, but it just seems like most of your fingers look more like segmented lumps :I

Edited by Richard, 08 April 2011 - 06:20 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#52 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

Eh... The only one that looks like that to me is Plutarch, and even then it's mostly just the left hand, seems a little pudgier than it should be.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#53 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Wow, this is some really nice constructive criticism and interesting comments on the style and content of the sketches, guys. Very helpful and inspiring.

I suppose this is the reason Scorpy never made this topic before now. :rolleyes:

Don't you know the rules? People aren't allowed to enjoy your work. Zero is here to enforce it, since 'constructive' criticism should be hateful, repetitive, and useless at all times.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#54 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:25 AM

The Sarran have a strong resistance to cold granted by their evolution to live on their ice covered home planet, Ecirron. Sarran living on more temperate planets prefer to live on high mountain peaks and in cooler areas for this reason. The Sarran inhabited part of Womloc, 'The White Lands', is the most southern part of the continent and therefore closer to the southern arctic region of Terra Nova. The White Lands is also covered with high mountains where the Sarran build their well-hidden cities.

Yes, but they're just in colder regions. I can't really picture a Sarran rolling around in the snow. I think the Wrognoth could actually live ground level, in the snow. They could be kind of yeti-like, or even like the suited Guardians in Uncharted 2.

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#55 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

Don't you know the rules? People aren't allowed to enjoy your work. Zero is here to enforce it, since 'constructive' criticism should be hateful, repetitive, and useless at all times.

It's only useless when the artist doesn't consider it. But if cut and paste recolored people work, then that's fine, too.
Old timer

#56 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

I really do wish i could draw people as well as you. Your Plutarch and Kye sketches just looked so natural. And the bottom left guy on the faces page looked like you'd actually had him in front of you while you were drawing.

And yes to the progress bar on Saber's Edge!

~ Golden-Star

#57 The Railway Man

The Railway Man

To lack charity is to wound the pupil in God's eye.

• 221 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

If there's only one thing you could try is to maybe make your character's feet a bit bigger. That's the one thing that annoys me. Other than that, I think I'd better let someone more qualified than I dissect your work and make some more detailed responses, specifically in relation to your figure drawing.

Other than the feet and the anatomy difficulties that every artist faces to some degree, I really like your work. That page where you tried to diffirentiate the characters faces I thought was brillant. I'm still trying to do the same with my own work, though I haven't yet been as successful.

Edited by The Railway Man, 09 April 2011 - 02:46 PM.

The above statement is a lie.

HELP THE FLEAS!

"DEMOCRACY IS NON-NEGOTIABLE." - Liberty Prime

#58 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Yeah, Plutarch's fingers look pretty messed up in that sketch, I agree. At least they're not as freaky as the fingers in Dragon Age II. :P As for anatomy issues, well, I'm no expert at anatomy drawing, but then again these are mostly just costume design concepts, not attempts at perfect human anatomy. :) And of course I'm always trying to improve.

On the Wrognoth: The original idea for them was actually that they were from the same planet as the Sarran (but I've dropped that idea), so yes, they were conceived as an arctic race. However, I'm not ready to fully implement them into NR yet; I'm trying to come up with more ways to differentiate them from the Slashrim while still keeping them interesting and cool. The reason we haven't met any so far is because they were driven to the edge of destruction by Helexith and have only recently started to bounce back. Some have even joined up with Greeshakk and his Free Tribes.

Anyway, I'll try to get some more sketches up here soon. I'm behind on the next Wulfgard comic; not that that's any surprise. :P You don't really realize how difficult it is to create a coherent comic book page layout until you try it yourself...

It's only useless when the artist doesn't consider it. But if cut and paste recolored people work, then that's fine, too.

Woah, slow down, Zero. I know I wouldn't like to see my art being trashed wholesale like that... You've given your opinion; maybe you should let it go now.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#59 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

First, I'll just say that I think the artwork is incredible. The detail down to each finger/claw is top-notch and the creativity astounds me. The way each outfit works for the characters is great. I really liked the Nova Refuge sketches, since there aren't that many of those going around these days...

Naturally, I can't give out that many compliments without some criticism too. I have nothing bad to say about the art itself, but some of the ideas behind them have me a little worried. The characters Daemonique and Whisper seem to resemble Lisa Sharp and Shadow-Cat an awful lot. For the former, both are seductive assassins working for organizations hired to kill people. Neither have a shred of sympathy for those they kill, and they use others whenever they can. They are quite rebellious to their leaders, and disobey orders to their face.

For the latter, both are silent fighters who sneak around everywhere in specially made outfits for concealment. They are acrobatic and agile, preferring to avoid enemies rather than face them head-on. Not as many similarities as Lisa/Daemonique, but still quite a few.

As long as the blond in that picture with them isn't Amy Archer or Aerialla, I'm good. :D

While the characters are unique (as in designed completely by you) I would prefer not to have a crossover between Wulfgard and Nova Refuge. I find that it makes each character less special and personal.

The last thing that bugs me is the Wrognoth. They seem much too werewolf-like and animalistic for NR. As the Squirell said, the easily conquered big brute role has been filled by the Slashrim, whom I find much more distinctive. Each native already fills an elemental role, as you discovered, and I feel that the Wrognoth are overlaps with the Sarran for ice. They just take a bit from each species and don't contribute anything really new to the galaxy. If you want to create a new species, I'd recommend making one as far from the others as the Skrakki are.

Now it sounds like I just had a big rant against all this new work. I really enjoy both Nova Refuge and Wulfgard, and I just want to make sure that each become successful settings on their own, without having to rely on each other. Once again, I love the artwork and the majority of the concepts behind them, and I'll be eagerly awaiting new updates.

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#60 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

I agree with Horatius - I think it would be best to avoid too many similarities between Nova Refuge and Wulfgard when, in my opinion, they would benefit from being as unique and distinct from each other as you can make them.

But this is your world after all, if you have great plans for these new developments, please don't be insulted by our critique. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users