• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Member
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Looking good so far! I really like the technique for the sloped section.
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,879 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:49 PM

Looking good so far! I really like the technique for the sloped section.

Thank you! I got the idea from the pre-2018 Brickmania M4 Sherman. It's the exact same section as well!

Short update. Add 13 minutes. Total amount of work: 12 hours and 28 minutes.
Spoiler

I used the same sloping technique from P13, but before I could do that, I had to delete everything for the taller and longer sloped section to get this to work.

Spoiler

Here's the section all detailed and finished.

Spoiler

We are finally able to work on the turret again, which needs to be resized because it was based on the original hull.

Cheers.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#23 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,879 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

Another short update, add 35 minutes to the clock. Total work time: 13 hours and 3 minutes.

Spoiler

Smoothed out the back portion of the hatches to allow more room for the turret.

Spoiler

I realized the turret was too long by 2 or 3 studs, I don't remember. I also had to widen the turret by 2 studs. With the broader and shorter turret, it kinda has a bulldog appearance, at least to me.

Spoiler

With the wider turret, I can widen the gun mantlet. With the extra 2 studs in length, I can get it to look more like the real thing.

Spoiler

On the left is an experimental turret mantle, with the two end pieces, may be able to give the look of them being the trunnions that allow the elevation and depression of the main gun and co-axial 37mm.

Spoiler

From the front.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

#24 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,879 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:42 PM

Add another hour to the log. Total work time: 14 hours and 3 minutes.

Spoiler

P16.1: I begin testing the experimental gun mantlet or gun mount shield found in P15 (Previous post).

Spoiler

P16.2: I realize that the experimental gun mantlet isn't going to work. So, I redo it and start to build the turret around it.

Spoiler

P16.3: Got the exterior done of the turret. Looks like an interesting bathtub.

Spoiler

P16.4: I went back and lowered the rear turret by a stud to get the shaping for the slightly thinner turret roof. I am thinking about removing the trunnions detailing on the gun mantlet to allow more movement for the gun mantlet.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#25 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,879 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:27 PM

Welcome to Part 17 or P17.

Work time is 30 minutes. Total work time: 14 hours and 33 minutes.

Spoiler

P17.1: Almost done with the turret!

Spoiler

P17.2: So, it shouldn't have taken 30 minutes to complete the turret assembly found in P16, but when I lowered the turret roof, I didn't need to do that. When I realized that, i was about to finish the turret and realized it didn't look right. So, I had to go back and increase the height by a stud and redo the turret roof.

Spoiler

P17.3: Here is the turret married to the hull. The build is complete.

Spoiler

P17.4: Profile view of the M6A1 (T1E3) Heavy Tank.

Spoiler

P17.5: Head-on shot.

Spoiler

P17.6: Birds' eye view.

Spoiler

P17.7: Size comparison between my M7 medium tank and M6A1 heavy tank.

Spoiler

P17.8: Another size comparison of the two.

RESULTS:
The model is 40 studs long, 18 studs wide, and I'm-not-going-to-stack-and-count-studs-for-height tall. It is quite tall. Like my M7 Medium Tank model, the M6A1 HT is too long, too wide, and too tall. This is fine as the there was no way to make it the right scale without sacrificing something. I'm sure a much better and skilled builder could do it, but not I.

This model would require a BrickArms M1919 LMG, and the LEGO 3 wide tracks.

As for my thoughts on this model, the hull and turret came out beautifully. The turret looks very similar to the real thing and I'm proud of that. Heck, even the side skirt came out well. I will not be going back to this model anytime soon. Though, I may have enough in me to make the M6A2E1-1 variant. Maybe I'll even make the possibly fictional upgraded front hull that is associated with the M6A2E1-1.

HISTORY:
The M6A1 started out as the T1 heavy tank proposal during May 1940 as a multi-turreted heavy tank, similar to the Russian T-35 heavy tank and British Vickers A1E1 Independent. It was to have two turrets with 75mm guns, a turret with a 37mm and coaxial .30cal MG, and a fourth turret with a 20mm and coaxial .30cal MG. Two .30cal MG's were to be mounted in the front hull and another 2 .30cal MG's to be in the rear corners of the hull. By October 1940, the designers realized that this design was stupid, and decided to go with a single turret. I'll call this the old or May T1 Heavy Tank. MG total: 7.

So, they decided upon having a primary 76.2mm or 3in gun and a secondary coaxial 37mm gun, both with a gyrostabilizer.. The turret had the MG cupola from the M3 Lee medium tank for the commander upon the turret roof with a .30cal LMG, and a .50cal HMG in the back roof of the turret for aircraft. A dual .50cal mount in the front hull for the co-driver, and 2 .30cal MG's again the front hull for the driver. This would be the new T1 Heavy Tank or October T1 HT. MG total: 6.

Some time during development we realized that we didn't need that many MG's. So, we removed the .50cal in the turret, the MG cupola, and one of the .30cal in the hull. Though, we did keep a .50cal on the turret roof in a pintle mount for aircraft. This would be known as the T1E1, and entered the scene in 1941. There were 3 prototypes, all 3 had an electric transmission (a hydramatic transmission variant was never completed), but one had a welded hull and the other two a cast one. The T1E1 was almost standardized as the M6A2 Heavy Tank. MG count: 4.

The T1E2 HT was had a cast hull and torque converter transmission, 8 built. It was standardized as the M6 Heavy Tank.

The T1E1 HT was the welded hull variant with a torque converter transmission, 12 built. This would be standardized as the M6A1 Heavy Tank, the one I made a model of. 

May 26th, 1942 both the M6 and M6A1 HT's were standardized, and production began in December of 1942 with an order of 5,000. This is when the rotor mounted .50cal HMG was removed and replaced with a pintle mounted .30cal, the MG cupola was replaced with a double door hatch, and one of the hull mounted .30cal's was removed. By now the Armored Corps had lost interest in the M6 and M6A1 HT's due to weight, height, reliability, and awkward internal layout, desired amount dropped to 100. By the end of 1942, the Armored Corps believed that the M4 Sherman MT was an adequate solution for the present and near future and stated they had no desire for a heavy tank. Production again cut to 40 in 1943.

During 1943, the T1E1 was tested with a T7 90mm gun and found to be satisfactory gun platform, but was criticized for the turret layout. By the end of 1943, the M6 was cancelled and no longer in production. December 14th, 1944, the T1E1, M6, and M6A1 HT's were all declared obsolete. A single T1E1 Heavy Tank survives it's brethren and was on display at the Aberdeen Proving Ground Museum, which recently closed, and is in long term storage for time unknown.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Weight: 63.25 tons

Length: 27ft, 8in

Width: 10ft, 2.5in

Height: 9ft, 10in

Crew: 6. Commander in turret

Armor: 25.4-101.6mm or 1-4in

Main Armament: M7 3in Gun (75 rounds)

Secondary Armament: M6 37mm Gun (202 rounds)

Tertiary Armament: M2 .50in HMG (5,700 rounds)

Fourth Armament: M1919A4 .30in LMG, in bow, and flexible in pintle mount (7,500 rounds)

Engine: Wright G-200 (800hp), also known as the Wright R-1820 Cyclone which was mounted on B-17 Flying Fortresses. 

Speed: 22MPH on roads

Range: 100mi on roads

FUN FACTS:

-The turret was modified and developed into the turret of the M10 Wolverine 3in Gun Motor Carriage (Tank Destroyer) mounting the same gun, M7 3in Gun which was mounted on a M4A2 Sherman MT hull. M10A1 Wolverine 3in GMC used the M4A3 Sherman MT hull.

-The M6 HT and M4 Sherman had the same turret ring diameter, meaning that you could have mounted the M6 turret on a M4 Sherman hull. The first Sherman, the M4A1(76)W, with a 76mm gun was deployed in 1944. The new 76 Shermans used the cancelled T23 Medium Tank's turret since they had the same turret ring diameter. So, back in 1942, we could have had Shermans with M6 turrets, meaning a better gun and better armor.

-With the T1E1 Heavy Tank being able to mount the T7 90mm gun, and not needing any modifications to the turret size to make it work, this also means that we could have had Shermans with a 90mm as well if we had mounted M6 HT turrets with the T7 90mm installed back in 1943.

-The M36 Jackson 90mm GMC was a modified M10A1 Wolverine TD with a slightly different turret and mounting a 90mm gun. It came out in 1944 as well. Basically, just a Wolverine with a 90mm.

-All in all, the US could have fielded better armored and armed Shermans since 1942 with a 3in gun and with a 90mm in 1943 just by using the T1E1, M6, and M6A1 turrets. The Wolverine and Jackson were M6 turrets on a Sherman hull. All we had to do was just stick the turrets on the hulls. Yes, these M6-M4 hybrids would have been slower, but when you have better armor and firepower, you don't need to flank tanks that have better armor and armament than you when you can penetrate them the same distance as you (Panthers and Tigers). You can now directly engage Panthers and Tigers without having to flank them due to being unable to penetrate their armor or having to call in a TD (Wolverine and Jackson) platoon to help out.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 06 February 2019 - 03:57 PM.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#26 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,879 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

Extra project work time is 2 hours and 45 minutes. Total work time is: 17 hours and 18 minutes.

Spoiler

P18.1: I redid the hull detailing. Very different then the stock T1E1, M6, and M6A1 heavy tank.

Spoiler

P18.2: Here you can see the Driver, Co-Driver, and Assistant Loader. Starting to rework the frontal hull.

Spoiler

P18.3: Here's the reworked hull.

Spoiler

P18.4: How I mount the gun and allow movement.

Spoiler

P18.5: Gun mantlet and frontal turret detailing.

Spoiler

P18.6: Almost done with the turret.

Spoiler

P18.7: Here is the completed turret on the modified hull.

Spoiler

P18.8: Here is a profile of the M6A2E1.

Spoiler

P18.9: Here is the head-on of the beast.

Spoiler

P18.10: Another shot of the rear hull detailing and rear turret detailing.

Spoiler

P18.11: Here is the M6A2E1 next to the M6A1, and you thought the M6A1 was big.

Spoiler

P18.12: The two side by side. You can see how much longer the gun on the M6A2E1 is and how much larger the turret needs to be to mount it.

Spoiler

P18.13: One last shot of the two.

RESULTS:
It looks darn good if I say so myself.

Spoiler

Blueprint and picture of the real thing.

HISTORY:
Enter the Panzerkapmfwagen VI Ausf. B or King Tiger. The Americans didn't have really anything to pierce the front of this new threat. The only weapon that could was the T5E1 105mm gun. The only vehicle that was to mount this weapon was the T28 Super Heavy Tank (was re-designated as the T95 105mm Gun Motor Carriage and back to the T28 Super Heavy Tank). So, the US looked to the M6 series of heavy tanks.

The turret was similar to the T25 medium tank's turret. The new turret needed a larger turret bustle to allow room for the gun to recoil and to act as a counterweight. The turret ring had to be increased. The frontal hull armor had to be increased in order to take a hit from the German Panthers, Tigers, and King Tigers. They were going to remove all hull mounted MG's and move the periscopes of the Driver and Co-Driver. A new frontal plate that was to added at with the thickness of 180mm or 7in.

Two prototypes were made, both had lost their hull MG's, but did not receive the additional frontal armor. Eisenhower cancelled the order of 15 M6A2E1's due to being unneeded.

With the larger turret and gun, the weight of the M6A2E1 was 77 tons. They were not planned to receive an engine upgrade. The tanks had a hard time climbing hills due to an extra 20 tons.

Both vehicles were scrapped in the 1950's sadly.

The M6A2E1's turret later on developed into the T29 Heavy Tank's turret. Both mounted the same gun, but the T29 was far more similar to the M26 Pershing with the hull and suspension.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Weight: 77 tons
Length: Unknown
Width: 10ft, 2.5in
Height: Unknown
Crew: 6
Armor: 25.4-180mm or 1-7in
Main Armament: T5E1 105mm Gun (? rounds)
Secondary Armament: M2 0.5in cal HMG, flexible in pintle mount on turret (? rounds)
Engine: Wright G-200 (800hp)
Speed: Unknown
Range: Unknown

KY0FhTX.jpg

#27 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Silently judging you

• 1,467 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:05 AM

Looks gorgeous, Neyo!  I like how you give context with the historical facts and actual blueprints, too.  You pushed through the issues to make an outstanding product, and your tank build is magnificent, thanks to your efforts.

sml_gallery_15330_272_21744.jpg

Above image created by Saber-Scorpion and meme'd by me.

Profile picture created by and commissioned from: https://saph-y.tumblr.com/

#28 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,879 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

Looks gorgeous, Neyo!  I like how you give context with the historical facts and actual blueprints, too.  You pushed through the issues to make an outstanding product, and your tank build is magnificent, thanks to your efforts.

Thank you Lord Capulet! The history and blueprints give the model justice. Makes it more than just a pretty looking tank, it gives it life. There sure were lots of issues with this project, haha. In all honesty, once I found out the hull was an inch too long, I really thought about abandoning the project. Seems kinda petty, but after 6 hours of work and you were off is disheartening. Anyway, the vacation helped improve my mood substantially, but still took me a little bit to get back to it.

I appreciate the kind words Lord Capulet, now it is time to move onto the next project. 

KY0FhTX.jpg

#29 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Member
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

Excellent work! It has been a blast looking at this being developed from the ground up!

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,879 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

Excellent work! It has been a blast looking at this being developed from the ground up!

Thank you and thanks for following!

KY0FhTX.jpg

#31 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Barbarian Venator

• Nova Member
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:51 AM

A bit late to chime in on this, but this is an awesome Tank!

I love to see you make a real life version of this to compare to some of the other Tank models you have. 

#32 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,879 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

A bit late to chime in on this, but this is an awesome Tank!

I love to see you make a real life version of this to compare to some of the other Tank models you have.

Thanks Dalton!

Yeah, I'd love to make a physical build as well. Need to see how many pieces these bad boys are and how expensive they'd be.

KY0FhTX.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users