Photo

Devil May Cry 5 Thread: Bloody Palace Now Available

YOULL ALL SEE Foolishness Dante Foolishness Flock off Featherface NOW IM MOTIVATED

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:15 AM

DMC5 sales update: the game's already sold two million copies in like two weeks! To put that in perspective, up until now the best-selling DMC game was 4, which has sold three million after eleven years. I couldn't be happier for Itsuno, Matt Walker and the whole team at Capcom, and also for myself because I get to play this glorious miracle game. What a wonderful thing.

Also, Ocelot tries to beat Dante Must Die update: OH MAN THIS IS HARD! My plan was to avoid using Gold Orbs (the item that revives you on the spot in the middle of a fight) for as long as possible, and as it turns out I reached as far as Mission 4 before I needed to use one. Right now I'm telling myself that it's only because it was a V mission, and I'm still not very good with V, and I'm going to do the rest of the game legit, but we'll see how it goes. I just finished Mission 7, which was really fun until I hit the fight with these handsome fellers:

maxresdefault.jpg

So enemies have a lot of health on DMD, which is fair because if you use all the tools available to you in this game you can dish out a lot of damage. But that guy in the middle there? Boy oh boy does he have A. LOT. OF. HEALTH. To be honest, it's probably more that he's just really good at parrying you, and if you have the cojones to go toe to toe with him and parry him back you can get him into a vulnerable state and drop some of your heavy-hitting moves on him. But the thing is that one of his swings with that side-of-beef he calls a sword will melt about 40% of your health bar, so you don't get too many chances to miss the timing for your parry. I chickened out and resorted to hit and run tactics, which made the fight take way longer than it needed to. Oh well, something to think about for next time.

#62 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,274 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:32 AM

Ocelot Must Die update: I'm starting to think the real Dead Weight was me all along.

mission-11-2.png

See that purple fellow in the middle there? Pure hell. My nightmare. A nasty boi. Bad times for Ocelot.

His name is Hell Judecca, and he likes to hover around in the background of fights, casually stepping back into a portal any time you get close, and throwing out an attack with one (or both) of those giant blade hands the moment he exits a different portal on the other side of the room. He isn't too hard to land one attack on, but his AI is set to automatically teleport away if you ever hit him with an attack that has a knockback property. That means that all your natural DMC tactics (i.e. Stinger into guys when they're far away) are wrong, and you need to think of something completely new. The way to actually damage him is to land a whole lot of light attacks on him without ever getting to any kind of finisher, and I'm just no good at that yet.

As with most DMC enemies, he's not too bad on his own, but of course he only ever appears as part of a group of enemies, so while you're running around the place chasing him down you have seven other dudes on your tail waiting to get a cheeky hit on you while your back's turned.

I'm bad at this, you guys. But, hey, I've beaten the first ten chapters, so I'm halfway there. Now I only have the significantly more difficult second half of the game to get through.

EDIT - Chapter 11 down! Using Revolver Lv 2 to parry Cavaliere Angelo's attacks takes me back to the good old days of struggling through DMC3 for the first time and having to cheese Agni and Rudra.

#63 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:53 AM

OK, children. We are DOING THIS. It is happening. Mission 16 is down, which just leaves four more missions. Four consecutive really difficult bossfights...

But we're DOING IT! We are beating Dante Must Die. It's happening.

I love this game. I'm going to do a full review in a few days' time, but first I want to beat DMD, and then unlock the difficulty after that, Heaven and Hell, where everything dies in one hit (including you). It's basically your victory lap through the whole game after proving you can beat it at its hardest; you just waltz through levels blazing away with your pistols, slaughtering everything in your path. Or it would be your victory lap if beating Heaven and Hell didn't unlock one final difficulty mode: Hell and Hell. This time you still die in one hit, but otherwise the difficulty is set to Hard mode, so you have to be absolutely perfect to finish it. I... don't think I'm going to do that one. But, hey, I'll try it at least.

OK, anyway, let me utterly emasculate myself by showing what a really good player can do against the boss I've just spend the last solid hour struggling to beat:

I honestly don't know how people can play DMC so well, but I love watching it. When I see those huge elemental explosions coming it's a signal for me to start hightailing it out of there to get out of the blast zone, but this dude just stands there and casually parries it with frame-perfect precision every time. I have to concentrate really hard to handle switching between three weapons at a time, and here's this dude effortlessly managing fourteen. But that's what I love about DMC: you can always get better, and the game is always there to support you. Nobody ever 'maxes out' DMC. There's no mathematical 'best' DMC play. In this game, if you can think it, and you can make your thumbs execute the inputs, you can do it. Everything works. You can parry everything. You can stay in the air forever. Want to carry every single weapon in the game at once? Do it, baby. The only thing holding you back is your own nervous system and muscle memory.

#64 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,274 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:47 AM

BOYEEEEEEEE

I did it! Dante Must Die is in the bag. I did it with these hands. YUSS. That Trophy is permanently bound to my PSN gamertag or whatever they call it, and nobody can ever take it away from me. It's done. Sorry, Itsuno, but you couldn't make this game hard enough to defeat a STONE. COLD. PLAYER like me.

UH!

(I also blazed through Heaven or Hell mode quickly, because it only takes a couple of hours to get through and it's ridiculous. You kill bosses before they even say their first lines of trashtalk :P)

I love this game, you guys. Have I mentioned that? I've played it through five full times since launch and I honestly don't want to stop. There's still one more difficulty mode left to beat, which honestly might be beyond my skill level but I'm going to try it all the same. I still don't have the Trophies for unlocking all characters' movesets, because that takes a bit of farming (they each have a special taunt move that costs 3,000,000 orbs), so I'll knock those out tomorrow. Getting the Platinum Trophy for this game means S-Ranking every mission on every difficulty mode, which is... ridiculous. But, I don't know, maybe I could chip away at it over the years...

Also Bloody Palace is coming as a free update on April 1st, and hopefully they'll make some more DLC sooner rather than later. Modders have already found evidence of Vergil being playable (in fact there's a video on Youtube of someone actually playing as him in a really janky state). I'm up for whatever they want to sell me.

As always, here's a video of some incredible player absolutely embarrassing the boss that took me well over an hour to beat last night:

#65 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

I really can't go back to the older games after DMCV. I tried going back and finishing 3 and that just ain't happening with all that jank. 4 is a maybe.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#66 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,274 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

I really can't go back to the older games after DMCV. I tried going back and finishing 3 and that just ain't happening with all that jank. 4 is a maybe.

It is very not cash money to read something like this, but... I understand. These last couple of weeks I've been coming to grips with the idea that Devil May Cry 3 might not be the greatest video game ever made any more, and it's a big deal for me. For the last fourteen years it has, of course, been a universally acknowledged truth. You hear the words 'greatest video game ever made' and you immediately think, yep, that's DMC3 alright. But now? How do I even live in a world where DMC3 might no longer be the GOATest of all time?

I do think there are a few things DMC3 still does better, though. I'll just bullet-point-erise them, because these are all just minor nitpicks between two of my absolute favourite games (EDITOR'S NOTE: This turned out way longer than I expected it to be :P):

- I still think DMC3 has the perfect video game story. The story exists to serve the video game, and the video game perfectly intertwines with the story. The way you, the player, gain power and fluency with the controls matches up perfectly with how Dante awakens and grows as a person, the three Vergil fights serve as perfect milestones marking the game's three acts, the sense of accomplishment at having defeated your ideological opposite through the power of humanity and friendship and all that good anime stuff is just unparalleled.

I really like most of DMC5's story, particularly the characterisation of all the main characters. Dante is a perfect mix of happy-go-lucky Uncle Dante and the more serious DMC1 incarnation, Nero is an excellent step up from his DMC4 "KYRIEEE!" self (while still keeping that hothead side we love), and Vergil actually gets the best of all of it. My favourite moment in this game is when Vergil, thinking he's going to solve all his problems by using Yamato to remove his 'worthless' human side, wakes up on the floor and realises in horror that the human half was just as much a part of him all along. Much as I love him, 3's Vergil isn't exactly the deepest character out there, and the fact that they gave him some genuine character development here is wonderful. Also I love love love Nico, she's the best.

Buuut I just don't think 5's ending holds up. Nero and Vergil barely speak, Vergil faces zero consequences for destroying a city and killing the millions of people in it, the idea that Dante and Vergil are now 'trapped' in Hell doesn't really fly when Vergil still has a sword that cuts portals to anywhere. I'm also not a fan of how Trish and Lady are used; basically just for leering adolescent almost-naked scenes and the occasional reaction line. Trish and Lady were once actual characters in this series, not just Dante's weird sexless harem. (Oh no this was a three paragraph bullet point)

- DMC5's level design has received a lot of criticism, and at first I didn't get it because I don't really have a problem with 'corridor full of fights' design in an action game, but then on my second or third playthrough I started thinking "Where am I right now?" and not being able to come up with an answer. In DMC1 and 3 you're in this big castle or tower, and you always have a good sense of where you are, where you're going, what you're doing, but in 5? You're kind of just jogging down grey, sometimes green-y grey, sometimes brown tunnels for two thirds of the game. You're inside the demon tree, and it's all one big organic mess where each level blends into the next. Where am I? I... I guess it's the tree again. Am I at the bottom? The top? I don't really know, man.

- DMC3 was great about giving you unlockables as you kept playing through the game, not just new difficulties but costumes that added a whole lot of replay value. DMC5? I didn't unlock anything until my third playthrough, and it was a costume for V. I didn't unlock anything else until my fifth playthrough; a costume for Vergil who isn't even a playable character! I never unlocked anything for Nero or Dante, because Capcom locked their alternate outfits behind pre-order DLC, and then didn't even sell it separately until a couple of days ago. I had the privilege of paying $2.95 for it yesterday. Great.

OK, I'm going to talk about it: DMC5 has microtransactions and I think they're bad.

Now, I don't think DMC5's monetisation scheme is any worse than, say, your standard Ubisoft stuff, but it's certainly not any better. You can play a thousand hours of DMC5 without ever being forced to open your wallet, sure, but the same is true of any Assassin's Creed game with 'timesaver' transactions or EA game with cosmetics or whatever. I don't think it's any coincidence that DMC5 introduces a whole lot of new mechanics that make Red Orbs more desirable than ever in the same game where you can buy them with real money. Check this out:

- In DMC4 you could re-use the same currency to buy all the upgrades for each character, whereas in DMC5 they all draw from the same pool of Red Orbs. It took me three and a half playthroughs to get enough to buy almost all of each character's moves.

- The reason I say 'almost' is because each character now has a super secret taunt that costs 3,000,000 Red Orbs, which you aren't going to get through normal play. It'll take a few hours of farming to earn that much, or moments with your creeeedit caaaaard.

- To do that farming you use Dr Faust, a new weapon that actually uses Red Orbs to do damage. You can earn more Red Orbs than usually buy using it, but you can also blow a few hundred thousand Orbs in moments with some of its attacks. The same currency you can buy with real money.

- Worst of all is how death works in this game. On dying, the first option presented to you is to revive on the spot by paying a certain number of Red Orbs, and the most expensive tier will revive you with full health and actually damage the enemy you're fighting. You can spend Orbs, that you can buy with real money, to win fights in this game. Even on Dante Must Die (and it's significant damage, too). Your credit card hits harder than any weapon in the game. Now, of course, you never have to choose that option, but you do have to intentionally refuse the option every time you die. You can't just restart from a checkpoint, you first have to say "No, I don't want to use Red Orbs to revive", then you wait through a death animation, then you hit 'CHECKPOINT', then you wait through a load, then you run back to the fight, skip the cutscene and start the fight again.

I think it's a real shame that some of this stuff is in the game. I don't think Itsuno was rubbing his hands together with vindictive glee, trying to fleece as much money from the players as possible, but what can you say? This stuff is in there, it is what it is. I'm not going to pretend DMC5's microtransactions are any more virtuous than any of the stunts Ubisoft, EA or Activision have pulled over the years just because this is my dream game. Whenever a game slaps an extra price tag on a certain element you have to question whether it was designed to encourage extra spending.

On a lighter note, here's an incredible gif:

VCV77kr.gif

#67 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

Why is Devil Trigger such a relentlessly amazing song? I don't know where it crossed over from being ironic love to genuine love, but it's there lost in there for good now.

I also would note that it stylistically doesn't really fit with the rest of the series' battle themes I've heard or general style either. And yet, it's become easily the tune I most associate the series with in my head.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#68 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,274 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:03 PM

I think DMC5 has the best action game soundtrack since Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, and I don't make that claim lightly. Devil Trigger is flat out incredible, Crimson Cloud is pretty great, Subhuman is... well, it's OK in game, but what I didn't expect was how much the rest of the soundtrack would SLAP.

It's got everything, from classic, heart-pounding DMC boss themes:

To the laidback jam from Nico's van:

To the remix of Devil Trigger that might be even more volcanic than the original:

I've had the full OST on in the background over the last couple of days and it's amazing how often you hit something that makes you go "Oh YEAH, this one!"

#69 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:28 AM

The Bloody Palace update is up. It's a free download, around 300MB on PS4 and XB1. They've added in a Suspend feature, so you no longer have to do the entire thing in one 90+ minute run. It sounds like you can also load up any stage you've already cleared if you need to practice it, and since you'll face all the bosses over the course of the whole run I'm wondering if this means we basically have an ersatz Boss Select mode now.

I don't want to jump into it just now because I want to keep my Sekiro sea legs, though :P

#70 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

POPULAR

Hay guise.

33632621798_ba339ddedd_h.jpg

Also:

Spoiler

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users