NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Wulfgard cities

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

After first reading the map and descriptions of Wulfgard's cities, I began to figure out that many of the cities resembled prominant cities from our history. After giving it some more thought, I figured out some of the obvious ones, and then began to think more about the others. Here is my list so far:

Empire: Roman Empire
Imperial City: Rome
Templaria: Athens
Lakedaemon: Lacedaemon (Sparta)
Justinianopolis: Constantinople
Northtown: Alesia?

Kemhet: Egypt
Mysraiim: Cairo
Persinshar: Persia

I am the least familiar with northern towns, and have no idea what the Northrim cities are. So if anyone has some ideas on the other cities, please, post them.

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#2 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

After first reading the map and descriptions of Wulfgard's cities, I began to figure out that many of the cities resembled prominant cities from our history. After giving it some more thought, I figured out some of the obvious ones, and then began to think more about the others. Here is my list so far:

Empire: Roman Empire
Imperial City: Rome
Templaria: Athens
Lakedaemon: Lacedaemon (Sparta)
Justinianopolis: Constantinople

Kemhet: Egypt
Mysraiim: Cairo
Persinshar: Persia

I am the least familiar with northern towns, and have no idea what the Northrim cities are. So if anyone has some ideas on the other cities, please, post them.

Yes, but if you notice, many books base cultures off of real historical civilizations. Read almost any fantasy book and tell me that something wasn't based off of another that had historical significance in our history. But, yeah, you are right.

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#3 Hippysheep

Hippysheep

Back From the Dead!

• 665 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

Don't forget Troja, (Troy)

Posted Image

#4 Horatius

Horatius

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

I do agree that most fantasy books have cities based on ancient ones, but the resemblance in Wulfgard seems stronger than most. The Empire in Wulfgard has many Roman-like qualities other than its cities. Its soldiers look like legionnaires, it encompasses the same general region as the Roman Empire (where'd the Mediterranean go?), and it has similar relationships to the North and the South as Rome. Quite different from the cliche "Evil Empire" ruled by an evil king. Of course, I much prefer it this way. No matter how foreign a civilization seems, I can always relate it to a historical civilization and feel like I can contribute something new to it. So what I'm pretty much saying is, yes, you're right, and Wulfgard is cool.

And yes, Troja/Troy is another one. Good call.

The Captain of the Gate:

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:24 AM

Excellent work, Horatius! You've managed to spot just about all of the historically-based cities. Scorp and I are always happy to see someone recognizing some of the ancient historical influences in Wulfgard, what with its heavy basis in ancient history, classical mythology, and legends. :D Even if a few things differ slightly from history, most things in Wulfgard are historically based (not everything, of course; the shifters are the primary example).

I will say one thing, though... while those are most of the cities that were based on historical cities, some cities are actually based on entire historical areas or nations. But I won't give them away unless you want me to. :P

Actually, this similarity wasn't necessarily intended. Illikon and Northtown were some of the first cities we made up for our setting (Illikon is the primary location of the first Legend of the Five book and Northtown is the primary location in Into the North), and they aren't necessarily based on any particular historical cities or nations. They were both influenced by historical ideas and elements, but not based on them, like some cities. Still, it could be counted as an equivalent of Alesia, what with their numerous similarities.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#6 Horatius

Horatius

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Excellent work, Horatius! You've managed to spot just about all of the historically-based cities. Scorp and I are always happy to see someone recognizing some of the ancient historical influences in Wulfgard, what with its heavy basis in ancient history, classical mythology, and legends. :D Even if a few things differ slightly from history, most things in Wulfgard are historically based (not everything, of course; the shifters are the primary example).

I will say one thing, though... while those are most of the cities that were based on historical cities, some cities are actually based on entire historical areas or nations. But I won't give them away unless you want me to. :P

Actually, this similarity wasn't necessarily intended. Illikon and Northtown were some of the first cities we made up for our setting (Illikon is the primary location of the first Legend of the Five book and Northtown is the primary location in Into the North), and they aren't necessarily based on any particular historical cities or nations. They were both influenced by historical ideas and elements, but not based on them, like some cities. Still, it could be counted as an equivalent of Alesia, what with their numerous similarities.

I'm glad that I got so much of it right. If I had to make two more guesses, I would say that Artorius is at least loosely based on England. Even though it has already been conquered by the Empire, and the Woads are up North, I think the traits of the island (major port) are similar. Also, in Latin Artorius means Arthur (At least I think it does...my High Imperial needs some work) who is, of course, England's famous king. Coldstone Wall is, I believe, based on Hadrian's Wall. Actually, since it's so much larger, it might also be based on the Great Wall of China. I'm not as sure of these ones as I was on my last post, especially with Artorius (I almost didn't even post it, but I've got nothing to lose), but these are my new guesses. I hope I can figure out the cities based on whole civilizations, so don't tell me (at least not yet) what they are. I like the challenge :P .

The Captain of the Gate:

#7 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

Wow. You got even more than I got. Good job dude.

*jots down note to make sure to have Horatius killed as soon as the ninja's get back* :P

Edited by Lord Boar, 28 August 2010 - 11:09 PM.

#8 Horatius

Horatius

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

Wow. You got even more than I got. Good job dude.

*jots down note to make sure to have Horatius killed as soon as the ninja's get back* :P

Thank you! And I'm still going. Wyrmtongue Fyord is Scandinavia (because of the vikings). Bjornburg is probably based off of Germania and the barbarian tribes that lived there. I think that the Highland Tribal Lands are Irish and Scottish. Hmmm...I wonder how I'm doing. Maybe I'm getting it, maybe I'm just getting carried away. Either way, this has been a good challenge.

I suppose I should watch out for those ninjas :shock:

The Captain of the Gate:

#9 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

Good Work! (although it's not actually that hard to work out some of these Posted Image )

The most notable fantasy setting I can think of that's based on historical references is The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. Quite alot of Middle Earth is actually based on the Anglo-Saxon culture of Oylde Englande, so it isn't unusual for a fantasy setting to have roots in history.

~ Golden-Star

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users