• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Crustacean Freak

Crustacean Freak

Resident VW Enthusiast

• Nova Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

FBTB has pictures from this year's New York Toy Fair of the upcoming LEGO Star Wars sets. I, for one, am glad they are returning to more Original Trilogy sets for this wave. The current Winter wave is a huge disappointment in that area. The only OT sets out for the Winter wave are a few "Microfighters" and the Death Star Troopers battle pack (which at least has some spiffy minifigs). But this upcoming wave has a new Star Destroyer, B-Wing, Snowspeeder, AT-AT, and Cantina. Plus, no Clone Wars sets (unless you count that "Yoda Chronicles" Jedi Scout Fighter, which at least has a neat astromech droid). There are also two sets from the upcoming Star Wars: Rebels TV show. The Advent Calendar looks to have more of an OT focus that previous years as well.

I definitely want to pick up that Star Destroyer, and make a few mods to it (strip down the interior, add more detail to the exterior, finish the bottom of the ship, remove the spring-loaded missiles). It looks like a decent display piece. I'm a little bummed about the flat bottom, but I guess it is designed in part as a playset. I have been kicking myself for years for not scoring a 10030 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer, and I haven't had the time to try to build a Star Destroyer from scratch. I also like the look of the new B-Wing, which I was very excited to see finally return in mini-fig scale for the first time in 8 years. I'll definitely be picking one of those up. Also, the figs look fantastic.The snowspeeder also looks pretty nice. I really like the look of the new snowtrooper mini-figs, but I cannot stand the silly "stud guns" that were introduced with The LEGO Movie sets. The AT-AT is a little spindly looking for my tastes, but could probably be improved with some simple mods. My last AT-AT was the first non-technic set back in 2004, I think. The cantina looks alright, I suppose. The new landspeeder included looks good and we finally have some Bith musicians, but I don't think it would have been too much to ask for Wuher at the bar, especially in such an expensive set. I would love to see LEGO give the cantina a UCS treatment and make a well-populated and well-detailed $200 set.

Thoughts on the new wave?

:Flickr
Gypsy King
Celephaïs (Mk 1)

Currently working on: Dustbowl (Novel), 1974 VW Beetle "Crow", Unnamed LEGO Space Freighter

#2 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

POPULAR

Another white Snowspeeder.

worf_sigh_facepalm.gif

2004-2018

#3 Guest_Jethro Turtle_*

Guest_Jethro Turtle_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

I kind of like the look of those Star Wars: Rebel sets, but I think my favorite from this series is probably Mos Eisley Cantina.

#4 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Member
  • 925 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

Yippy-skippy. They're re-releasing old StarWars original trilogy sets. Because, no, don't tell me that fib that they're 'new'. They literally look exactly like last year's release, which looked just like the release the year before. Those Original Trilogy vehicles have been built and rebuilt to death. Sure, I know we all loved those LEGO vehicles when they were first released way back when, and even with all their studly charm, we all know deep down inside they were just plates and bricks and windshields and they weren't all that great... I mean they were great... but they weren't. And then the recently released a bunch and they were like, wow, actually fantastic looking. Check out these original series-based sets, man! They looks just like the ships and uh... speeders... and uh... cups... and speeders!

The only one that struck me as even remotely different looking was the AT-AT and not in a good way, because somehow it looks smaller and it's supposed to be based on that behemoth, unstoppable walker from Empire. But it looks kinda' shrimpy to me... so no thanks. No thanks, you can keep it.

And no X-Wing... so another docked handful of points. Which results in... what? A lot of negative points? Yup... that's right.

Is it just me, or are the retail prices to those SW sets absolutely unbearable? Because they totally are. I know LEGO has to pay a buttload for the rights and all that jazz... but I'm telling you, I just can't shell out the money to pay for licensed sets these days. And I'm actually talking ALL licensed sets, because my favorite theme would probably be those Lord of the Rings sets if they weren't so bloody pricy. All I get to do is look at the pretty pictures and fawn at the boxes on the shelves because 30 bucks for that tiny thing?!?! I... I just can't. Remember those days when you could buy a whole freaking set collection and still have money leftover for an ice-cream cone? Oh... right... that was back when they released those blocky first StarWars sets.

EDIT: lolwut! Am I seeing this right, or did they mold a dedicated flick-firing dart? Because if they did, that's literally the dumbest. Because up until now, LEGO was so his own toy. He was like, no dudes, I'll BUILD my own darts! I mean, Lego was pretty cool guy, BUILDING his own darts and not afraid of anything! And now... now... sellouts, the lot of them!

(Then again, I loved those Technic dart launchers... and those were dedicated dart pieces. So maybe I'll like these new darts? No. Probably not. Because they look so generic. Those Technic darts at least had the look of a LEGO part.)

1328944467_thankyoubutno_answer_2_xlarge

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#5 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

*RUSTLED JIMMIES* 
:ranting:  :flail: 

I will leave you with this post from our Great Overlord from roughly a year ago.

Someone posted a thread very similar to this last year - There were some good responses there, especially the first reply by Grombrindal - you might want to check it out: http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9116  :)

My response is there too. Basically I think LEGO has been on the incline rather than decline for over a decade now, though they've admittedly stumbled now and then. And as sick as I am of Star Wars sets, I do wish the ones I bought as a kid had been as good as the modern remakes. I'm always sorely tempted to blow my money on the new Old Trilogy sets for nostalgia's sake, like the Endor bunker and Hoth base and Jabba's Palace...

#6 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

What is the Star Wars: Rebels thing anyway? Something new happen in the SW Universe while I looked the other way?

Either way, loving the new array of spaceships, the designs look fantastic and I know I will be picking up a few of these ships and possibly modding them together.

Also: So much shooting!! I love it! New blasters are already here in those army-buildings, but just like catapults, LEGO has unleashed a new array of everything can shoot! Which I like, makes it far more entertaining to play with LEGOs.

Posted Image

#7 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

What is the Star Wars: Rebels thing anyway? Something new happen in the SW Universe while I looked the other way?

From what I can gather, it's basically another Clown Wars cartoon except set during the OT era.

I'm sure it will be exactly as lame as it sounds.

2004-2018

#8 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

They're making one of those CG cartoons set in the OT? Eww.

These minifigs were the things I found most interesting

XCkzdz1.jpg

At first I thought LEGO had made some new greys, but I guess that's just Sand Blue. Nice color combo for Maxy Veers, but seriously LEGO? You make the pilot trooper grey, and the Snowspeeder's still white?

I doubt I'll be getting any of these remakes, but I did finally cave in and (as I mentioned in the post Xero quoted) buy the Jabba's Palace and Rancor Pit sets (plus the skiff). They're pretty sweet. Amazing minifigs, even if Boba Fett is lacking arm prints. I'd like to get the figs from the Sail Barge too, but dammit I just bought that set eight years ago! :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#9 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:39 AM

Wow, that Jabba Barge was only $75 USD? Things have changed.

I don't really like any of the new sets. The B-Wing is practically identical to the earlier one. If anything, it's even less.

I'd like some real new stuff. Shadows of the Empire, Cloud City, Expanded Universe, or even just something new we haven't seen. Yet, I've already bought a Mos Eisley Cantina, an AT-AT and a B-Wing from Lego before. These new ones just aren't as inviting as they seem.

giphy.gif

#10 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,861 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

EU sets are rare but I've seen them. TIE Defender, sets from The Old Republic even. 

#11 Princess Recon

Princess Recon

You bred raptors?

• Nova Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Anyone else notice the helmet that comes with the Phantom is the McQuarrie concept snow trooper helmet?

#12 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

EU sets are rare but I've seen them. TIE Defender, sets from The Old Republic even.

Ugh I missed the TIE Defender when it came out, I really need to get that. Not looking forward to what the price has no doubt inflated too though.  <_< 

Anyone else notice the helmet that comes with the Phantom is the McQuarrie concept snow trooper helmet?

IIRC, Rebels' aesthetic is based on McQuarrie's concept art. I think they even built new rendering software to get the look. I suppose that's one thing Rebels has going for it right now. I'm not too optimistic from what I've seen so far.

#13 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new Ithorian head. Been waiting for one of those, along with a Duros head, since LSW1.

Old timer

#14 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

yWX937q.jpg

So that's a thing.

2004-2018

#15 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

So I know what I want for my birthday now.

Posted Image

#16 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

It looks much better than the old design.

And now I'm seriously wondering why I stopped buying new sets about 7 years ago.

#17 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Guess who got drafted by Keith to play with that bad boy almost all day Saturday showing to the public at Bricks Cascade? That's right, this guy!

Lemme tell you, since I probably have more hands-on time with it than anyone else outside of The Lego Group, that the thing is truly awesome. The internal technic structure is rigid without being incredibly bulky, and all the panels are well built and don't sag. It's absolutely packed with little play features that he didn't bring up in the video. For instance, there are two cranes that the droid hose, a grabber claw, and a crate lifter can attach to. There are a lot of pictures out there now detailing much of the interior, but not many of them really show off the steering mechanism, which is pretty brilliant if you want to add Power Functions. A friend and I already have plans to build PF stuff into his the day he gets it, without adding too many parts or removing any play features (except maybe one of the three big droid crates to make room for a AAA battery box).

The figs are awesome, with the level of detailing Lego has been working towards recently. There are two different Jawa torsos, printed front and back, as well as front and back printed Luke and Owen. All the droids are printed as well, with a much cooler Gonk droid, and the obscure but awesome R1 unit (the tall dark green one).

All the kids loved it for the play features, and all the adults claimed they loved it for the much closer to accurate appearance than the previous Crawler (although most were also impressed by the play features as well). Of course, the whole time I was going through the play features with a car salesman-esque shpeel. Before Saturday I could count the number of tines I had used the phrase "This droid has a bad motivator!" on one hand. After demoing the crane/hose/droid chute/crate/speeder sequence over a hundred times, I lost count.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#18 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

POPULAR

13478299063_93e99b3926.jpg

2nbalvq.jpg.gif

2004-2018

#19 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

:lego_shock:

I like mine better, but I may just have to nab that anyway.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#20 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

I agree that Scorp has a better Revan, but if they're doing their toe into Kotor, could we see an Ebon Hawk set? Still want it regardless!
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users