• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#81 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

Brand New Enterprise (likely because the last one blew up): 3 (1,5,8)

Don't forget the one at the end of 4!

#82 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:29 AM

It's very... enterprising of them to make a new Star Trek.
Haven't watched any of the new Star Trek films, never liked the Trek universe.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#83 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

Don't forget the one at the end of 4!

Eh, that's the same one as in Final Frontier, and it only got less than a minute of screen-time. Doesn't really count as much more than maybe pushing the count up to 3.5 :shrug:

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#84 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

The ship is supposed to come first.

Not really. I mean, one of the best Trek films (Voyage Home) didn't even have the Enterprise around for 90% of the movie. The ship is just one element of the franchise; characters and the universe have always been more important, at least in my view. 

If anything this is continuing a proud tradition of never letting the Enterprise get a break. It's also the third film in this series, and the third Trek film prominently featured the Enterprise getting blown to hell (oh, yeah, spoilers for a thirty year old movie I guess), so it's probably trying to reference that, because references to the classic films in these reboots range from being subtle and well-done to clunky and blantly just there because nostalgia.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#85 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

Heck even in Enterprise the ship went through the wringer on something like twenty different occasions, and that was the series NAMED for the ship.

Blowing up the ship in and of itself isn't an issue, it just has to be handled well.

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#86 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Heck even in Enterprise the ship went through the wringer on something like twenty different occasions, and that was the series NAMED for the ship.

I know what you're going for here but I consider anything involving that series to be a bad example unless we're talking about how not to write television. :P

Fourth season was decent though.

v0tzQP.gif

#87 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

iirc, the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek (specifically, the Falcon and the Enterprise) is that the former is simply point-to-point travel with no real significance on the plot, whereas the latter is the centre of the plot (with the crew, mission, etc revolving around it).

Badly worded, but mobile.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#88 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:07 AM

Since Kirk likes motorcycles so much, why doesn't he just get one of these.

Adrastea.jpg

Link in case you're not an ant

Edited by Style, 15 December 2015 - 11:09 AM.

xgd0s9.jpg

#89 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

characters and the universe have always been more important, at least in my view.

I meant that in-universe, the crew is trained to protect the ship. An episode of TNG (Thine Own Self) stated that the commanding officer needed to be willing to order a crew member to their death if necessary in order to protect the ship.

I dunno, it seems like the movie makers are just blowing the Enterprise apart to create excitement. I could be wrong, but it seems like that to me.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#90 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

Less to "protect the ship" as in the vessel they're aboard, than to protect the other hundreds of people aboard. Needs of the many and all that.

But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just doesn't bug me compared to the other stuff in the trailer.

#91 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

Less to "protect the ship" as in the vessel they're aboard, than to protect the other hundreds of people aboard. Needs of the many and all that.

Right. Although protecting the vessel is important too. They ain't cheap.

EDIT: Also, appropriate title. :lol:

gTAoKX.gif

#92 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

I meant that in-universe, the crew is trained to protect the ship. An episode of TNG (Thine Own Self) stated that the commanding officer needed to be willing to order a crew member to their death if necessary in order to protect the ship.

I'd have to re-watch the episode, but I remember that whole plot (aside from being a Good Troi Episode) being more of a needs-of-the-many style thing. I think they described it as her duty being to the ship, but IIRC the idea was less that this hunk of metal is your first duty, and more that the lives of your crew as a whole is your first duty. I could be remembering that all wrong though.

Always found that episode funny in how the B plot with Troi seemed more interesting than the A plot with Data. 

Anyway, in this case it looks like the ship comes under a sudden massive attack that completely tears the ship apart, and in that case I expect Kirk would order everyone abandon ship. I mean at some point you have to admit the giant and probably replaceable chunk of space metals isn't worth as much as the lives of the crew. 

dunno, it seems like the movie makers are just blowing the Enterprise apart to create excitement. I could be wrong, but it seems like that to me.

Oh they're definitely doing that, it's just I don't mind because the Enterprise getting rekt is a time-honored tradition. 

v0tzQP.gif

#93 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Anyway, in this case it looks like the ship comes under a sudden massive attack that completely tears the ship apart, and in that case I expect Kirk would order everyone abandon ship. I mean at some point you have to admit the giant and probably replaceable chunk of space metals isn't worth as much as the lives of the crew.

Of course. I kinda doubt they got everybody off the Enterprise, though. The last time they tore the Enterprise apart, a crap ton of redshirts died.

I like TOS and TNG the best, so I guess I'm just not used to the Enterprise getting blown to bits.

EDIT: Whoa, I didn't know I double posted. Sorry.

gTAoKX.gif

#94 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

Anyway, in this case it looks like the ship comes under a sudden massive attack that completely tears the ship apart, and in that case I expect Kirk would order everyone abandon ship.

Maybe this means we'll be getting an NCC 1701-A if (when) they do a fourth one, and maybe it won't look like an iPod trying to assimilate a brewery!

What? I can dream, right?

#95 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Maybe this means we'll be getting an NCC 1701-A if (when) they do a fourth one, and maybe it won't look like an iPod trying to assimilate a brewery!

The design has actually kinda grown on me. It looked a lot better for me in Into Darkness, though that might have been because the lens flare was toned down enough for me to actually be able to see the damn thing.

At least, the corridors and exterior have. Still not a fan of the whole Annhauser-Bush engine room.

v0tzQP.gif

#96 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

This quickly turned from a movie news topic into a Star Trek topic, though I suppose that shouldn't be surprising with something like Star Trek.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#97 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,979 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

So, here's a pretty remarkable way to begin an article:

The end of Star Trek Into Darkness fundamentally changed the status quo of the Star Trek universe. Not only did the Federation now have the ability to beam themselves between planets in different parts of the galaxy, ending the need for starships, they had also cured death thanks to the magic blood of Khan and his crew. The human adventure had come to an end, it seemed, as humanity had ascended to the level of immortals who could be essentially omnipresent in the galaxy.

Of course that wasn’t the intention of Into Darkness, it was just the side effect of some perhaps overly convenient plot points. Some of us wondered how the next movie, Star Trek Beyond, would handle these immense revolutionary changes, and when I talked to director Justin Lin about the first teaser for his movie I asked him about it. His basic answer: his movie will be politely ignoring just about everything that happened in Star Trek Into Darkness, especially magic blood and interstellar beaming.

Talk about writing yourself into a corner :P

All I really want out of this movie is a worthy successor to my beloved 2009 movie. You dorks can keep your classic Star Trek where they don't get into rad space battles and base jumping swordfights all the time. My biggest disappointment with this trailer is not that it betrays the Star Trek tradition or whatevs, it's just that I don't know if they can make an exciting spaceship adventure when the spaceship gets destroyed and they're marooned on a planet for the whole movie. Running around on the Enterprise with lens flares everywhere is the best part of Nu Star Trek.

#98 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

Where's the Borg tho? They're the ultimate interstellar threat, ever since First Contact all other Star Trek movies have seemed tame in comparison to the threat of cybernetic assimilation.

xgd0s9.jpg

#99 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

They're also a Next Generation villain that Kirk and company never encountered or had any real stake in fighting the way Picard did.  They're not a terribly good fit for the TOS crew because, well, different tones for different series. The JJ movies have at least stayed closer to the TOS series and feel than the other series.

They don't have the huge dark Babylon 5-esque ongoing war of DS9, or the professionalism and humanitarian/diplomatic role of TNG, or the whole lost in space deal of Voyager, or the... Uh, post-9/11 Call of Duty-ish insanity of Enterprise (what I've seen).

Besides, the non-Trek fans they keep trying to cater to would just call the Borg a Doctor Who rip-off, thus making me facepalm.

#100 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,979 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Remember in Star Trek '09 when Spock is flying the spinny red matter ship straight at the Nerada, and Eric Bana's all "FIRE EVERYTHING!" and they do and then suddenly the Enterprise BANGS in out of Warp and pewpewpewpewpewpewpews all the missiles into oblivion with a million billion lasers? And then the red matter makes a black hole and they have to go to full wartime emergency power to outrun it and Scotty says the line and they jettison the Warp Cores or whatevs and everything explodes? God what a great movie that was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users