NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Fenris' failed RP 2.0 (Sign-up/discussion)

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#21 Azoth

Azoth

Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

• 1,314 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:05 AM

Wow, why did it take me so long to see this? I'll get working on a signup.

Name: "My name is Hurndt Bearclaw, of the Tribe of the Wolf."
Race: "I am human."
Subrace: "I am a Northerner, or a barbarian as the Imperials call us."

Attributes
Strength: 17
Perception: 6
Endurance: 17
Agility: 6
Charisma: 12
Intelligence: 10
Luck: 4

Height: "I stand six feet and seven inches from the ground."
Eye Color: "My eyes are blue."
Hair Color: "Blonde, if you cannot see."
Appearance: "I have been called a giant among men. My frame is bulky and muscled and my height allows me to tower above most everyone else. My face has stubble, and I have several scars all over my body from the many battles I have fought and won. My hair is tied back in a short ponytail."
Clothing/Armor: "I wear fur for the most part, with a chain hauberk underneath."
Weapons: "My weapon of choice is a glaive and shield combination. I also have a shortsword for closer fights."
Accessories: "None of any importance. A few rations is all."
Personality: "I seek glory in battle. That is all I live for. War feeds me, gives me work, and it gives me riches. The honor and glory I get from victory in battle grants me a satisfaction that I cannot explain. Sometimes, though, I wonder how long my streak of victories will last..."
Bio: "I was born with my tribe in Wulfsted Village, and was brought up learning how to fight. My father was a warrior, you see, and he wanted the same for myself. At the age of five I began wrestling and fist fighting. At nine, I learned how to wield my first sword. And at the age of twelve, I chose my signature weapon; the glaive. It gives me the reach to keep my enemies at bay, and my strength allows me to use it with one hand well enough so that I can still fight and wield a shield for extra defence. Anyways, you wanted my background.

On my sixteenth birthday, I fought my first real battle. I was out in the wilderness, hunting for food and skins. I crossed paths with a large bear, larger than any I had ever seen. Overconfident, I roared at the beast with all my might. The animal took it as a threat, and it charged. I readied myself, shield held in front of me and my glaive pointing at the bear. It slammed into my shield, breaking my wrist and knocking me several feet away to land heavily on the ground. It came around for another attack, barely in time for me to get up and ready myself. As it charged, I stepped to the side and cut at it with my weapon, tearing into it's shoulder. Unfortunately, I did not realize the agility bears possess, and it turned and swiped at my chest, giving me a scar that mars my body today. I slashed with my glaive again, this time at the thing's head. After making sure it was dead, I fell to the ground, clutching my bleeding chest... and I remember I started smiling and laughing. That victory, close as it was, gave me, as I said before, a sense of satisfaction I cannot explain. That victory is what drove me to become a warrior even more than my father's hopes and dreams did.

At the age of twenty, I began my first work as a mercenary. Anything from protecting caravans to participating in raids on Imperial cities. The rest is nothing interesting. To put it simply, ever since my twentieth birthday I have participated in over one hundred skirmishes, raids, and battles, and I have journeyed from my home of Wulfsted Village to Caltha."

Edited by Azoth, 28 June 2011 - 10:44 PM.

Posted Image

#22 Teh Brutus

Teh Brutus

Member #44

• 141 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

"So... about that expedition..." an impatient adventurer said as he tapped the table in front of him.

"Oi, how about another round. this could be the last tavern you see in awhile, boys!" a wench said witn a wink and a smile.

"Oh, very well."

#23 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:16 AM

Now now, I must ask you to be patient. What with the Uncharted 3 beta and all, it might take a while to get the RP up and running. I've started reading over all the sign-ups, though, to see which ones I can accept and which I can't.

#24 Ascalon

Ascalon

Legionnaire

• Nova Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:05 AM

Would you be able to give a scale for the other attributes like you did with intelligence? I'm particularly interested in strength and charisma. How does one with 18 strength compare to another with 1 or 10? Is 18 strength bordering on, or exceeding, superhuman or is it still fairly "reasonable?"

If it's not too late I may sign up.

#25 Teh Brutus

Teh Brutus

Member #44

• 141 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

Now now, I must ask you to be patient. What with the Uncharted 3 beta and all, it might take a while to get the RP up and running. I've started reading over all the sign-ups, though, to see which ones I can accept and which I can't.

Okay, that's cool. By the way, I noticed that Easterners weren't on your list of humans.Can I still use my Easterner character? He's my primary OC for Wulfgard, but I have another ready to go if you don't approve (though you might find the second to be somewhat exotic as well :P)

#26 Fenris

Fenris

• 1,476 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Would you be able to give a scale for the other attributes like you did with intelligence? I'm particularly interested in strength and charisma. How does one with 18 strength compare to another with 1 or 10? Is 18 strength bordering on, or exceeding, superhuman or is it still fairly "reasonable?"

If it's not too late I may sign up.

Hm... good question. I have yet to ask Wolfy how her stat system works, really. But here's the rough idea:

Well, a 1 in strenght basically means that your character is about as strong as a wet noodle. 18 means that he is Conan the Schwarzenegger. In combat, strenght depermines how damaging your attacks are. I'll roll a dice, and add this number to your score. If I roll a 20 or more (when combined with the strenght stat), your character will deal a very devastating hit (IF it actually hits is another matter). But this attack is only available for characters with 14 strenght or more, as I'll only roll one dic. Also, if your character is battling up close and personal with an opponent of roughly equal size, I'll compare the stats of your character with the stats of his opponent (mostly I'll roll dice randomly for them). If your strenght is 16 and the opponent's is 9, your character will automatically win when (for instance) your blades lock.

I doubt I will make any dice roll when it comes to charisma. I'll just look at your stat and determine whether this is high enough for whatever the situation requires for success. I will also judge your dialogue when charisma is involved. And I intend to use charisma a lot! ;)

So yeah, I'm still working a bit on the system, but we'll get there...

Okay, that's cool. By the way, I noticed that Easterners weren't on your list of humans.Can I still use my Easterner character? He's my primary OC for Wulfgard, but I have another ready to go if you don't approve (though you might find the second to be somewhat exotic as well :P)

Well... Eevilz signed up as an easterner the first time I attempted on an RP, and I was very reluctant to accept his character, solely because the character was an easterner. And I said I'd be stricted with the sign-ups this time around, so I'm afraid this character of yours has little chance of being included in the RP. Sorry, but you will have to sign up as someone else.

#27 Teh Brutus

Teh Brutus

Member #44

• 141 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:21 AM

Alrighty then, here's my other character. To save you the time of deciding, she is a half elf, half dwarf. It's a stretch, I know. If this doesn't pass, I might still have Brongk Sliv (from YEARS back when Wolfy made a LotF RP), but since he's a Goblin, he probably wouldn't stand a chance either, so... Anyway, totally odd characters are my weakness, it's true. :P

Full Name: Jael Faldwyn
Aliases: None, she insists on being called by her first name.
Race: Her father was a sea elf, and her mother was a sea dwarf.
Species: Mixed, as stated above.
Height: 5'4
Eye Color: Very dark green.
Hair Color and Appearance: Brown hair kept shoulder length. She keeps it in a ponytail occassionally.
Facial Appearance: Her face is clearly feminine, which she takes from her elven side. Her facial structure is generally of dwarven symmetry, being rounder, though her jaw and chin feature an elf's sharp angles.
Physical Appearance: She has the willowy frame of her sea elf father, though she is a diminuitive 5'4. Upon this frame is the muscled, well-chiseled bulk of a dwarf, though she is not nearly as heavy set as her dwarven kin. Her ears are the same size of a dwarf's, though they come to a noticeable point marking her elven heritage. Altogether, she perfectly combines the physical features of her elf and dwarf parents.
Clothing/Armor: Primarily seal skin clothing, with seal fur boots, gloves, and coat. For armor, parts of her outfit is reinforced with shark skin, mostly on her arms, legs, back, and torso.
Weapon(s): She carries a shark tooth sword as her primary weapon (along with a bag of shark teeth to replace lost ones). She also keeps a hardened sea turtle shell as a shield.
Accessories: Nothing important, but she did cook a pie consisting of fish, boiled eggs, and dried fruit before she went north. A delicacy of coastal communities, so she says.
Personality: Jael keeps a positive attitude at all times, though this doesn't mean she exhibits exuberance all the time. She often tries to alleviate dire situations with sarcasm or humor, though she isn't all that funny. She
Alignment: Neutral good
Fears:  Living on or near the water most of her life, her greatest fear are sharks. Besides that, she is rather carefree or bold to most other thoughts.
Character History\Biography: Being half dwarf, and half elf, her parents meeting is the beginning of Jael's story. Her father was a sea-elven trader who sold goods on behalf of his people to the sea dwarves. While doing so one day, a great storm separated him from his merchant ship; his ship was usurped from by another elven crewman, who convinced his fellows their captain was drowned, and left him for dead. The next day, The shipwrecked elf washed upon the shore of a nearby island. He was found by his future wife, a sea dwarf who housed him and nursed him back to health. Eventually, they fell in love; however, it was not to be a welcome one. Rumors spread of Elven pirates prowling the sea dwarves' shipping lanes. With the recent arrival of this shipwrecked sea elf, suspicion was cast on the two. The elf decided to escape the dwarven community, but his dwarven sweetheart refused to leave his side. They lived a relatively nomadic lives as fishermen and shore foragers. Eventually, they bore their first child, Jael. Jael was a swift learner in everything her parents taught her, learning skills such as fishing, foraging, sailing, and maintaining seafaring equipment. Avoiding, and sometimes fighting, pirates also became known to her. In time, her parents also bore a son, named Darryn, whom she also cared for growing up. As time went by, Jael's wanderlust grew, and she eventually left her parents to seek her fortune. She sailed to tbe exotic lands to the east, eventually finding a great land of much different people. Unfortunately, her ship became stranded on a reef, forcing her to escape with her belongings inland. She found work as a market guard, hoping to soon raise enough money to return to Imperial lands. Though the pay was low, she earned much of her combat experience fighting organized thugs and other dangerous lowlives. Eventually, she amassed the money to pay the fare to return to the Empire. On her return home, she found a steadfast friend in Alaveran Sutosh, an exiled nobleman. Jael now lives the life of an adventurer, though she returns to Illikon occassionally to visit her family at the docks.

She joined a caravan headed north as a trail guard. With the work completed and pay received, she explores the offer given in Enibraut Hall to further fatten her coin purse.

Strength: 13
Perception: 11
Endurance: 8
Charisma: 11
Intelligence: 8
Agility: 13
Luck: 8

Edited by Teh Brutus, 29 June 2011 - 11:27 AM.

#28 Fenris

Fenris

• 1,476 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

Hiya folks! I just thought I'd pop in here to say that the decision concerning who's in will be made on Friday/Saturday, so those who are still planning on signing up must do so by then. I should also mention that I've decided to accept only 6-8 characters, meaning that I will have to disappoint some. My sincere apologies to those that may be...

Hm, it seems Beth10 hasn't been online since 25th of June. She may merely be on summer vacation or something, not unusual amongst human beings, but I'm temporarily going to assume that she's lost interest in SSLF, as many newcomers seem to do. So she's out of the picture... for now.

Edited by Fenris, 06 July 2011 - 02:20 AM.

#29 Bethany

Bethany

Mrmm mmrm! Mrmmmphm mrmmmm mrphmm mmmm!

• 1,277 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:24 AM

Nobody panic, I still come on. Lately I just forget to sign in when I browse the forums, I still look at ubdates and such commonly, its just that if I have no need to respond to something I happen to not sign in. Anyway, I intend to sign in even if I just intend to browse, so to avoid confusion.

But nobody fear, I intend to continue being the 2nd active female member. (basically I will respond to the RP often, since the only topics I am involved in currently besides this one are really random, lately I have not responded to those. However, I have been eyeing this topic still, each time I see an update I check in to view it, and obviously I needed to reply to the last one...)

Anyway, I know you have critique (comments) on my edited sign up, Fenris, so bring them on.
(This may be a good time for me to go check up on those 'other' topics right now).

Edited by Beth10, 06 July 2011 - 03:34 AM.

qGC3VDI.jpg

#30 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

Right, sorry Fenris, I really would love to partcipate, but I'm taking a small... break from the forums. Disregard my character (who's bio I spent a really long time on), and good luck with the roleplay. I'm just sorta closing things up a bit. Well, I'll see you later (all of you). ^_^

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#31 Eeevilz

Eeevilz

Panda.

• 620 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

Yeah, he could easily run away. But how would surviving the encounter make him rich? I don't think the Dragon would take very kindly to a dwarf intruding into his lair, pocketing some of his treasure, and running away. :P

(Gets out cane and little square spectacles)

Ain't you ever read The Hobbit ya young whippersnapper?

Fenris: Can I use the Eastern sign up I used in the earlier version?

Edit: Here's the signup. All I need now is your approval. :P

Name: Kitsuki Nagara
Race: Easterner
Subrace: None...if any it will be something like Japanese.

Attributes
Strength: 10
Perception: 11
Endurance: 12
Agility: 14
Charisma: 10
Intelligence: 11
Luck: 4

Height: 5'10" (Fairly tall for an Easterner)

Eye Color: Dark brown, almost to the point of black.
Hair Color: Black.

Appearance:Posted Image

Clothing/Armor: Just the clothing from the picture, plus a sakkat

Weapons: The only notable weapons Kitsuki carries are his two swords. He also carries a bow and a quiver full of 40ish arrows.

Accessories: A medium sized bag which he slings over his shoulder. Inside he puts his his family emblem/crest, a riceball or two, and a small sum of gold Eastern coins, and a fairly thick book.

Personality: Kitsuki has essentially adopted the lifestyle and philosophy that comes along with spending one's life in the Eastern steppes and "other" side of the Jagged Edge. A cold, desolate place, everything there has adapted to fit the cold and dry climate. A very efficient man, he likes to see nothing go to waste. Like many of the animals there, he has a cold, somewhat gruff outer appearance, but inside he brims with happiness and warmth. Growing up alone, his social skills are somewhat, deficient, however his sense of moral integrity is high and he views others with high respect...once they have earned his.

Bio: (You don't mind if I make some stuff up...do you? I'll try and keep it as close to Wulfgard as I know). Kitsuki has no recollection of the Eastern lands, he grew up under the tutelage Tamori, an old hermit who lived up in the mountains. The only object in his possession that connects him to his family is a small crest which he was given to by Tamori as a young man. The hermit taught him many things, ranging from martial arts to more refined studies such as poetry and calligraphy. Often, they would go out on long treks through the steppes together and merely enjoy the hidden beauties of nature. However, Tamori soon grew old and Kitsuki found himself caring for a sick and ailing man on the verge of death. Before drawing his last, Tamori tasked Kitsuki to finish his novel, The Encyclopedia of Nature, a book in which Tamori over the years had filled with detailed pictures and information on the wildlife and plants he found. Seeing as he never ventured from the mountains, he asked Kitsuki to explore the world and fill out the book to the best of his ability and when the time came pass it on to someone else. After the death of his master, Kituki began his crossing of the Jagged Edge. A long and difficult passage, he nearly died multiple times in the attempt and when he finally did cross over, he staggered into Endibraut Hall in hopes of recovering for a while.

That's all for now folks!

Edited by Eeevilz, 06 July 2011 - 10:56 PM.

I would have, but my character got Falcon punched by a were-pire. Wow, that was a weird sentence. :P

Oh God I'm posting my actual political views in the News & Politics topic all serious-like what the heck is wrong with me

Posted Image

#32 Fenris

Fenris

• 1,476 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

Fenris: Can I use the Eastern sign up I used in the earlier version?

Um... hm... I did say that I would be a lot stricter with the sign-ups this time around... and Brutus didn't get to sign-up as one... oh, what the hay. Sure, since you were one of the original crew, and gave him a more reasonable age this time around, I'll let you sign-up as your precious Easterner. Sorry, Brutus. If it helps; I find your half elf/falf dwarf character to be much more interesting than your first character.

Okay, this may be a bit short notice, but I'd like to point out some minor undesirables I've found in some of the sign-ups. If need be I'll wait with my final decision.

Beth10: You've described your character's appearence as "entrancing", and in the bio you've indicated that she is exceptional at the art of seduction. Whilst a Charisma score of 12 makes her more charming/fair-looking than a great number of people, it's nothing exceptional. If you want your character to actually have this effect in the actual RP, I'd recommend that you crank her Charisma up quite a bit. This may hurt her other stats, but it might pay off too. It's not required or anything, but still...

Her apparel seems highly impractical, especially in Northrim where temperatures can drop so low. Plus it's not particlulary effective protection against weapons, either. Again, it's not required that you change this, but it might prove to be a disadvantage.

Also, you mentioned something in the bio which seemed a little... vague.

Having Andrea perform deeds of seduction and thievery, Sasse had slowly begun to taint Andrea's soul. Having Andrea kill her own mother would seal her fate, and the specially crafted bone dagger would speed up the process. Thus, with a tainted soul, Sasse would transform her "daughter" into a vampire to serve her, and if her daughter refused, then she need not worry, for with a tainted soul, Andrea would be the property of a Demon Lord.

How exactly would a tainted soul serve this Vampire? If Andrea refused to serve her, why not just kill her?

Burger Warrior: You have provided all the essentials in you sign-up, but I'm not entirely convinced you've done all you can with it. If you could flesh it out a bit (such as a more detailed description of his appearence), that might help when it comes to my final decision on who to accept.

Sareth: The abysmally low luck score might prove fatal for your character. But, on the other hand, the extra points in his other attributes could eliminate the need to do luck rolls in some situations. Other than that, I can find nothing of importance to complain about. Although it couldn't hurt to provide some more facial features...

That is all for now. I have no idea who is actually interested in this RP anymore, but I hope I can get it going as soon as possible.

#33 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

I'm still interested! And I edited my sign-up to make my char. slightly luckier.
"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#34 Teh Brutus

Teh Brutus

Member #44

• 141 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

I'm still keeping an eye on this, don't you worry. ;) Assuming I get accepted, I'll be an active participant.

#35 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:42 AM

Edited my post and added lots of pictures :D

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#36 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

Her apparel seems highly impractical, especially in Northrim where temperatures can drop so low. Plus it's not particlulary effective protection against weapons, either. Again, it's not required that you change this, but it might prove to be a disadvantage.

I agree with this, and it leads me to a question for you. Are the characters going into the freezing cold northern forests and hiking miles in full plate armor going to be disadvantaged too? Because, regardless of their endurance, walking for miles in that much heavy armor would tire them out a lot. And I imagine that the cold would be significantly amplified on the metal plates. Might even give some of them frostbite. Just sayin. :D

That is all for now. I have no idea who is actually interested in this RP anymore, but I hope I can get it going as soon as possible.

Kithel's been with you this far, he's not backing out now!

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#37 Bethany

Bethany

Mrmm mmrm! Mrmmmphm mrmmmm mrphmm mmmm!

• 1,277 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

Alrighty then, third edit finished.

I know I didn't have to make Andrea's charisma that high, but it is indeed her most powerful trait, so it should be 18. Hmmm...I wonder why I never thought of changing that before.

I added some fur clothing to her outfit as well. Apparently simple fur cloaks can actually keep you warm. And if this isn't enough for warmth, then what about the wood elf girl sign up's clothing?

I actually did mean the Sasse would kill Andrea if she would not serve her, but re-reading that part I noticed how vague it was. (Also, the tainted soul is not needed for Sasse to turn Andrea into a vampire, Sasse caused Andrea to get a tainted soul just in case Andrea refused to serve her. Sorry for the vagueness.)

Anyway, I think its rather obvious that I am still interested in this. Anyway, fixed the errors that you mentioned.
(Also, Horatius does bring up a good point about platemail.)

qGC3VDI.jpg

#38 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:07 AM

Well, with the plate metal armor thing, you wouldn't actually wear the armor with no clothing underneath. Medieval knights wore a bunch of leather clothing and cloth clothing underneath that the metal armor would be tied to, and the metal didn't actually touch their skin. Unless they're wearing like Greek hoplite armor, which I THINK would touch bare skin, but I'm unsure about that.

I added some fur clothing to her outfit as well. Apparently simple fur cloaks can actually keep you warm. And if this isn't enough for warmth, then what about the wood elf girl sign up's clothing?

Easy: Magic. Elves are magic. :P

She also has a cloak. :P

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#39 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Well, with the plate metal armor thing, you wouldn't actually wear the armor with no clothing underneath. Medieval knights wore a bunch of leather clothing and cloth clothing underneath that the metal armor would be tied to, and the metal didn't actually touch their skin. Unless they're wearing like Greek hoplite armor, which I THINK would touch bare skin, but I'm unsure about that.

Easy: Magic. Elves are magic. :P

She also has a cloak. :P

They did wear clothing underneath, but the weight thing still applies. I'm pretty sure that medieval knights rode their horses around to travel far away (but not 100% because I don't know any knights). Since there aren't any horses in this group, and I doubt the pack mule will carry anyone's armor for them, the plate mail characters might be in for a nasty surprise: weather.

And Enfys talks to animals. I'm sure she could just ask a big furry bear to snuggle up and keep her warm. :D

All this buildup, and I'm itching to get the RP going. With all of the outlandish and exotic characters, this is going to be very interesting. Hopefully it gets started soon, because I go away in two weeks. But no pressure, of course.

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#40 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

They did wear clothing underneath, but the weight thing still applies. I'm pretty sure that medieval knights rode their horses around to travel far away (but not 100% because I don't know any knights). Since there aren't any horses in this group, and I doubt the pack mule will carry anyone's armor for them, the plate mail characters might be in for a nasty surprise: weather.

Oh yeah. Duh. I thought you were saying that the freezing weather would make the metal armor cold and it would freeze the wearer. Heh. :P My bad. DERP.

Posted Image

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users