NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

A Cold Wind Blows [Sign Up/OOC]

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:21 AM

Posted Image

A cold wind blows over the Blackrock Foothills, word has it. The shepherds, hobbling along the goat trails, nearly bent double over their crooks, say it’s an omen. Then again, the shepherds are prone to claiming a grave portent every time the setting sun dyes the sky blood red, or if the herd is late to pasture. They are by their very nature a superstitious bunch, and many a shepherd’s story has been told to a chorus of laughs in the tavern. Yet when the sun sets and darkness reigns, the townsfolk scurry to lamplight and locked doors. People speak in hushed tones of men going missing in the night, only to be found stripped of their flesh in the hills the next morning. Growls and moans far off in the darkness keep the guards gripping their spears under the flickering flame of torches.

Midshire, the largest settlement within a day’s travel of Blackrock Foothills, is plagued daily by rumours and hearsay spread by travellers and traders on their way to the lush plains of the northwest, or more infrequently the caravan folk returned from lucrative bartering with the mountain dwarves. They speak of living dead, creatures of foul necromantic origin that shamble across the foothills in search of flesh. One caravan guard told the enraptured tavern-goers how they fought off five– nay, ten! – of the shambling dead that stumbled upon their camp in the night, losing one of the other guards in the vicious battle that followed. Refugees from the outlying towns begin to stream into Midshire, first a trickle – two or three families in a week – then a flood, with ten or fifteen folk a day coming to make camp in the safety of the town.

The terror of the dead in the hills has gripped the region. Midshire has neither the facilities nor supplies to maintain the refugees, who refuse to return to their farms and hamlets further up the Blackrock Foothills. The call is put out for aid, although in these times little can be spared for an insignificant town so far from the capital. Several Hunters’ Guild members trek into the foothills in an attempt to contain the threat. Three days pass with no word, thus it assumed they too were overwhelmed. Although the situation is stable in the town, the coming winter may buckle the back of the already strained reserves. In private the leading heads of the town resolve to contact what may be their last hope.

One of the eldest priests of Demeter recalls a compound that, in another time of distress in years long past, the Venatori had used as a base of operations and secret training ground. It is a matter of some debate, but eventually it is agreed that there is no other avenue they can pursue. An emissary is sent to the compound. He is told to memorise the location, carrying with him no evidence, and to consider his mission to be of the utmost secrecy. There are many within the Empire who would hunt down and destroy the Venatori, or at least attempt to, if they knew the sites of their otherwise hidden safe houses. The message is delivered safely with no word of approval in return from the mysterious hunters, and upon the messengers return all the people of Midshire can do is wait .. and hope.

Although they do not know it, the Venatori already travel to the compound for other, more sombre reasons. One of the eldest – and wisest - of their order is rapidly deteriorating in health, the wounds and scars of his long life mounting a painful and slow decline towards death. As is the tradition of the Venatori, those who are able rush to be at his side, to be at peace with him upon his death and to resolve the order’s next course of action in the wake of it. It is the same regardless of whether a Venator is struck by monster’s claw or illness. The available hunter-pairs make the journey to the compound, with the elder’s partner already in silent vigil over his bed. And thus marks the first steps towards the cold wind of the foothills..

You will be playing as one of the Venatori, the mysterious and secretive order of monster hunters funded by the Empire since the age of the shifters. Many have not heard of them, or think of the hunters as a fanciful children's tale. Others fear them, thinking their magic and alchemy a force of evil. This RP will not only be about monster hunting, also including espionage and intrigue as the players search Midshire and the Blackrock Foothills for the dark forces that have brought the blight of the walking dead - and other, more terrifying creatures - upon the region. There are six spots available at present, which may expand if there's enough interest.

Name: [Appropriate to your species and ethnicity, naturally. It is not unusual for Venatori to operate under a mononym, or even an assumed title (think along the lines of ‘Strider’ from Lord of the Rings) to keep a veil of anonymity.]
Age: [It’s not exactly a part-time job, so many Venatori have been monster hunting for decades. Others are newer recruits. Point is, ages run the gamut from young to old.]
Gender: [Males naturally make up more of the Venatori, but females have been members in the past even if it is reasonably uncommon.]
Race: [The Venatori don’t discriminate, and allow Imperials, Northerners, Southerners, elves and dwarves and those of mixed heritage. The only stipulation is that no matter your race, you act in the interests of the Empire and its citizens.]

Physical Description: [Venatori are typically in peak physical condition, but come in all shapes and sizes. Describe everything sans clothing and armour about them. If you use a picture, you still have to fill in this section.]
Outfit Description: [The Venatori are gifted deepsilver chainmail upon acceptance into the order, but otherwise clothe themselves according to their own taste. Many prefer understated, concealing garments. Describe everything they wear.]
Equipment: [With power comes responsibility, and cool gadgets. The Venatori do not shy from utilising magical trinkets or potions to aid them in battle, as well as gear expected of any traveller. Don’t overpower them; I will okay all magical equipment you describe.]
Weapons: [Traditionally, the weapon of the Venatori is the silver sword – both a symbol of station and a deadly blade. They are often proficient in other weapons in tandem, as well as being skilled marksmen. Again, not too powerful or it’ll be nixed.]

Skills: [Although all Venatori are proficient warriors, it is natural that some excel in certain areas, such as alchemy, the bow or the blade, tracking or monster identification. It doesn't have to be extensive, just an idea of their skillset]
Personality: [Despite their reputation for seriousness, the Venatori aren’t all gruff silent types. They’re still people, with emotions and motivations, and this should be conveyed in the sign up.]
Partner: [It is tradition for Venatori to pair with another hunter, who will be their partner until death. Although a sense of brotherhood is shared throughout the order, the dynamic between partners is different. You should explain the relationship in this section. Organise this amongst yourselves.]
Biography: [Training generally starts young, but talented hunters may be recruited later in their lives. Venatori come from all walks of life and various regions, so you should explain how they came to be a member of the order.]

Here's a coded version:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]

[b]Physical Description:[/b]
[b]Outfit Description:[/b]
[b]Equipment:[/b]
[b]Weapons:[/b]

[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Partner:[/b]
[b]Biography:[/b]

Thanks for reading, now get to signing up!

http://threemileisland.forumotion.org/

http://enfiladedefilade.blogspot.com/

#2 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

I'm working on a character now.

EDIT: Dibs on a female.

#3 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

EDIT: Dibs on a female.

Just so long as you don't use Allison Stokkes; you know I can't help myself. :P

I'll be working on a character also, you've got me hooked.

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#4 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm working on my guy too. Anyone want to be partners with a Shadow Elf tracker?

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#5 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Just so long as you don't use Allison Stokkes; you know I can't help myself. :P

I'll be working on a character also, you've got me hooked.

Kate Beckinsale. But now that you mention it... :P

Heres to hoeping that Skorpia joins with some sort of Van Helsing esqye guy, then I'll be Anna...

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

Hmm, so should I sign up for this and steal one of the spots, or just be a creepy specter who watches and drops comments on occasion? :P

I think I might wait a little while longer to make my character - until some other sign-ups get posted, so that I can try to fill in some gaps that might be left. Either that or I'll just say to heck with it and make a male Imperial Venator...

EDIT: Oh, and we haven't made a big news post about it yet since we're still working on some updates to both the Wulfgard and Nova Refuge sites that'll hopefully be finalized sometime this week, but Scorp posted the Monster Hunters section on the site now, which would make a good reference when creating characters for the RP. :)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hmm... Well I have an idea, but I have no idea who I'd partner up with or if I'd really have time. Right now I'm thinking I might go with a Light Elf.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#8 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:32 AM

Hmm, so should I sign up for this and steal one of the spots, or just be a creepy specter who watches and drops comments on occasion? :P

I think I might wait a little while longer to make my character - until some other sign-ups get posted, so that I can try to fill in some gaps that might be left. Either that or I'll just say to heck with it and make a male Imperial Venator...

EDIT: Oh, and we haven't made a big news post about it yet since we're still working on some updates to both the Wulfgard and Nova Refuge sites that'll hopefully be finalized sometime this week, but Scorp posted the Monster Hunters section on the site now, which would make a good reference when creating characters for the RP. :)

You should definitely sign up. Also, I raided the logo for use in the RP :D

Thanks for the interest guys, I eagerly await your characters.

#9 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:40 AM

Quick question, would you accept a shifter into your ranks? Most accurately, would you accept a bird-shifter? :D

Edit: At the same time, are you okay with mages, or do you not want any magic users?

Edited by Hawk, 25 January 2011 - 06:43 AM.

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#10 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

Quick question, would you accept a shifter into your ranks? Most accurately, would you accept a bird-shifter? :D

The Venatori have existed since the days of the Shifters, and they have always existed to hunt and kill them. So no, they would never accept a beastman\lycanthrope of any sort under any conditions, I'm afraid. :ninja:

Which, by the way, the shifters are all cursed now so that they cannot control their shapeshifting abilities and are either beastfolk or lycanthropes - in the case of the bird shifters, they became beastfolk. There are two exceptions in the case of bird shifters: the tengu in the East, which get their shapeshifting abilities from maintaining their mystery and secrecy among the people of the East, who revere them as gods; and certain, very rare and highly favored priests of Ra in the South. :)

But the term 'shifter' hasn't been used for thousands of years.

I think I'll get to work on my male Imperial Venator. I think I'll make him pretty much your paragon of Venator-dom. :P

EDIT: Oh, and the present-day remnants of the bird shifters are detailed on the Beastfolk section of the Wulfgard site (Avians). Tengu and high priests of Ra are detailed on the Other Lycanthropes and Shifters page of the Wulfgard site.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#11 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

Alright, but if at all possible, I call dibs on being a magic user. :)

Thanks for the info Wolfy.

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#12 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

I don't see the Venatori accepting shifters. Shifters are such rare and unpredictable beings that at most a Venatori would see them as a worthy foe - I doubt they would even hunt them provided they stayed away from humans. Among their own ranks, I don't think the Venatori would trust them enough, as if you're tracking an angry beast and your partner suddenly transforms into another angry beast you'd be in trouble. Also, I don't know if bird-shifters exist.

Magic users I am undecided about and there's actually a current (unanswered) question about it in the Q&A topic. I am in two minds; firstly, a skilled magic user would certainly be a boon on the trail, as a well-placed spell could turn the tide of a battle in the favour of a Venator. On the other hand, the Venatori tread a fine line between 'awe-inspiring' and 'terrifying' to the general populace, and rumours of magic-use (which conjures up images of devils and demons to the peasantry) could certainly turn public opinion against them.

In short, probably no, and maybe no.

EDIT: Oh, Wolfy already answered. No worries!

#13 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

I'm going to try and finish and submit my character tomorrow. She will be a young emperial female apprentice Venator. Anyone want to be my character's mentor partner?

#14 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

I'm going to try and finish and submit my character tomorrow. She will be a young emperial female apprentice Venator. Anyone want to be my character's mentor partner?

I'm game, if you want. I was going to make a male, older Imperial Venator who's sort of a veteran, so he could easily fill in the role of the mentor to a younger, apprentice character.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#15 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Man, I have my character in mind, I just have no idea who (Aside from myself and 4 other people) are signing up.

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#16 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

One day we'll be nostalgic for disaster

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

Totally signing up. I will delete this post when I've posted. I'm not picking a partner until I've seen everyone's character, purely because, well.. I'm picky like that. :P

WHAT? I DO THINGS ON THE FORUM ALL THE TIME. DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT. THIS IS NOT MY FIRST ACTIVITY IN LIKE MONTHS. SHUT UP.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<({[RAGE.wit]})>-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~<({[If there's one thing I know in this world, it's that we are Beggars all]})>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
{Zapman: Transferred - UNDER REVISION}-~-~-~-~{Gavin Nequam and the Hall of Prophecy - UNDER REVISION}
{Vagabond - IN PROGRESS}-~-~-~-~{Kingdom Hearts: In The Dark - ON INDEFINATE HIATUS}
{12-8-2007 - COMPLETE}-~-~-~-~-{Legend of the Five: Rise of the Small - IN PROGRESS}

#17 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

One day we'll be nostalgic for disaster

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

(THERE ARE GOING TO BE VAGUE CONTRADICTIONS IN THIS, LIKE AGE AND STUFF. JUST ROLL WITH IT, I HAD THE BEST IDEA EVER AND IT'LL MAKE SENSE ONCE I WRITE PART ONE AND TWO OF THIS CHARACTER'S HISTORY (this being part 3))

Name: "My name is old and unimportant. It hasn't mattered for decades. Call me... call me Gawain."
Gender: "... do I look female to you? I'm not a woman just because my jaw does not look like it could crush your skull."
Race: "Somewhere in between human and light elf. Is this really all that important? I get the job done one way or another."

Physical Description: Gawain has long black hair tied into a ponytail in the back and two braids on the sides, in front of his ears. He has beads woven into his braids of every colour - deep reds and blues, primarily - and he wears an equally varied amount of gems and studs in his vaguely pointed ears. He has a strong, pointed jaw and nose - "angular" would describe his face perfectly - but his face widens when it splits into a smile, which makes him infinitely more approachable. On the other hand, he typically looks serious, even when he isn't, and that severe look tends to keep people away. His eyes are a stark emerald green, and they match some of his earrings. He isn't overly tall, but he isn't exactly short - in fact, other than his ears, hair and eyes, he would be described by the majority of people as average, which suits him just fine; makes his job easier.
Outfit Description: Other than his Venatori chainmail, he wears a pair of thick leather bracers and shin guards. He wears a ratty, brown, hooded cloak about his shoulders for practical reasons - it protects him from the rain, from the snow and from prying eyes when necessary. He wears modest breeches help up by a thick leather belt adorned by plenty of pouches of all shapes and sizes - these are filled with fletching tools, sharpening tools and cooking tools. He also wears a mighty leather and steel quiver on his back that he always keeps stocked.
Equipment: His tools he carries on his belt make up the majority of his equipment.
Weapons: Gawain carries the standard silver shortsword by his side, of course, coupled with a long dagger that he uses in tandem with it - he wields the dagger in his off hand, pointed downwards, as if to stab. His true skill, however, lies in his archery skills - he has been killing his own food since he was very young, and has developed a deadly accuracy with his hand-carved longbow.

Skills: Gawain was a skilled fletcher when he was younger, and he can cook most animals to the point where they are edible, at the very least.("ANY animal, I say. Just wait," Gawain brags, always having been proud of his cooking skills) He specializes in veal and deer. He is still learning the skills of poison-making and alchemy from other Venators, and he does not count himself as particularly talented in either area. He is able to hold still for incredible amounts of time; this skill also comes from his days hunting his own food. Gawain can talk to people he knows comfortably enough, but when speaking to people in powerful positions, he has a bad habit of locking up, leaving his partner to do a lot of the talking. Because of growing up in the woods in his village, he has a natural affinity for nature and animals - he can tell you when animals are prepared to attack without question and knows his herbs inside and out. He is also a skilled tracker, due to that background - he owes a lot of his knowledge to his father. Unfortunately, he owes a lot of his faults to his father and the other villagers, as well. His distrust of dogs, his fear of insects, his disgust with alcohol and similar intoxications; they are all remnants of his past.
Personality: Gawain comes off as a serious guy to people who don't know him. He doesn't try to - it's just the way his looks and temperament make him come off. When people get to know him, they realise that he's not nearly as stoic or dark or severe as he looks; he just doesn't talk much to people he doesn't know and has a serious look about him. At the same time, Gawain is not the court jester. He's a nice guy, but he's not jokes and fun non-stop, either.
Partner: NONE YET BWAHAHAHAHA
Biography: Gawain is very old for his age - he didn't join the Venatori to thrill seek, like others his age had discussed - he did it because he wanted to make a difference. There are plenty of reasons why he COULD have chosen this path - the death of his father, the need for vengeance against wrongdoers... but his true reason is that he believes that the Venatori my be able to help him find someone, someday - someone that no one else will ever be able to find.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<({[RAGE.wit]})>-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~<({[If there's one thing I know in this world, it's that we are Beggars all]})>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
{Zapman: Transferred - UNDER REVISION}-~-~-~-~{Gavin Nequam and the Hall of Prophecy - UNDER REVISION}
{Vagabond - IN PROGRESS}-~-~-~-~{Kingdom Hearts: In The Dark - ON INDEFINATE HIATUS}
{12-8-2007 - COMPLETE}-~-~-~-~-{Legend of the Five: Rise of the Small - IN PROGRESS}

#18 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Should you decide to allow more than six people, I will definetly sign up for this. Female northerner "you guys are all fools" character?

#19 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

I'm game, if you want. I was going to make a male, older Imperial Venator who's sort of a veteran, so he could easily fill in the role of the mentor to a younger, apprentice character.

Sounds good. I'll send you a PM when I get her finshed (hopefully sometime today) and we can work out the details.

#20 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,218 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

Name: Known by Cuthbert to the Venatori, but more commonly known as Tracker by the peasants and serfs.
Race: Imperial

Physical Description: Cuthbert is just over six feet tall, with dirty blonde hair that hangs to between his shoulder blades, and is tied back in a pony tail. He has deep green eyes, and a jagged scar running across his forehead. Numerous other scars mark his body, and he is missing the fifth finger of his left hand. A short goatee covers his chin and lips.
Outfit Description: Cuthbert wears a dark grey cloak that shrouds his entire body. Underneath he wears a loose brown tunic under his chain mail. He wears a pair of black leather gloves, and tall brown boots. His pants are black, and he has a thick belt hanging across his waist.
Equipment: Cuthbert carries with him a small pack, within which are a trio of sharpening stones, spare arrow heads, rations, and a waterskin. He also carries a few vials of potions, suited to the task at hand.
Weapons: Cuthbert has his silver longsword, which he has named Argentdente, along with a long dagger which he keeps sheathed behind his back. He carries a round wooden shield, which has numerous pits and scars on it. On hos back he wears a quiver of arrows, with an unstrung shortbow tied next to it.

Skills: Cuthbert is exceptionally skilled at tracking his prey; he has been known to follow a beast down a river and up a stone mountain, never once losing the trail. He is very adept at swordplay, preferring to carry a shield in his off hand. He can use a bow to a certain degree, but only at short to medium ranges. He also knows how to blend into his surroundings quite easily.
Personality: Cuthbert is proud of what he is; a hunter. He openly acknowledges the fact, and makes no objections. He knows he isn't the best of the Venorati, but he also knows he's far from the worst, and takes pride that he has yet to fail a Hunt.
Partner: Gawain.
Biography: Cuthbert tells a different tale to every person that asks him. None know his true past; some wonder if he even remembers it. Rumours are spread that he has hunted all his life, since he was able to walk. He would hunt rats in the sewers of Illikon, there mastering his stealth and tracking in the dark. Some claim he was brought up in the Capitol, where his father trained him as an assassin and sent him to murder a nobleman; that he now hunts with the Venatori as a punishment for his crimes. Other still say he hunts monsters to avenge his fallen loved one; slain by a legend, Algar the Vampire. The truth is never revealed; he spins a web of tales that are all but impossible to decipher. Scholars could spend years on figuring out where his home was, much less discerning his past. Even his partner does not know even Cuthbert's last name; or, if some theories are correct, his first name.

All Cuthbert ever says that is the truth is that he kills what he hunts.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users