NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

RP: Wylfgard - In Death's Shadow

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:45 AM

((Originally I was going to have sixteen people in this RP, but since 17 people signed up, I went ahead and bumped that number up by one to fit everybody (after all, cutting out one person is quite mean, considering one extra person wouldn’t make that much difference in how the RP runs). Congratulations on getting in, everyone. A player list can be found at the bottom of the rules.
READ ALL OF THE RULES. I will assume all of you read EVERY rule VERY CLOSELY, because if you break too many of them you’ll be booted from the RP.

1. Everyone post ONCE. Then, I post again, saying the result of your actions. Then you can post again, and I post again, and so on. I will NOT post until around over half of the people in the RP have posted once, and those who have not posted will be contacted about their neglecting to post. However, when you are having a conversation with another player, feel free to post however much is necessary (but still try to keep the number of posts down!). I will also be posting sometimes as a player instead of a DM (in these posts, I will primarily be controlling Bruce McShane, who, in case you didn’t already know, I changed from a captain of the guard to a Lieutenant, since it fits his character better – now your captain is Walter Baldric), so you can more easily carry a conversation with him, and since he also plays an active role in this story.

2. No godmoding.

3. Remember to read over your posts and write them as well as you can. I suggest you use a spellchecker also.

4. You do not determine the result of your action, such as if that arrow you fired hit the person you fired it at, so do not say if it did. That is up for me to decide. This rule applies to anything from trying to kill something to kissing someone. You don’t know how they’ll react\what will happen, wait for me to tell you.

5. Don’t take control of the NPCs. All of the NPCs are my characters, just like the one character that you have. Never say how someone responds to you if you address them, or what they do if you try to smack them or hug them, as I said in rule #4.

6. RP your characters realistically. As an example, don’t make them unafraid of the gargantuan, muscled werewolf snarling bloodthirstily at them – anyone is scared of something like that. Try to RP their emotions well, such as surprise, fear, and other things, and their opinions, too. And no, I don’t care if your character tries to pick a fight with one of mine… just be careful, and try to be reasonable. Remember, you CAN die in this RP… and that you’ll be sometimes dealing with some very unlawful people.

7. No meta-gaming. Let your characters discover things on their own.

8. As much as I’m sure some of you can’t wait to be a disobedient little nutcase, like so many people enjoy doing, I’m going to give you a fair warning and say that you shouldn’t give your superiors too much crap, or else you’ll find yourself in some big trouble. I’m not saying you can’t, I’m just saying you shouldn’t step on too many toes in this department or next month you’re gonna be a security guard at some fussy noble’s estate.

9. Try to keep OOC (out of character) talk to a minimum, and mark it somehow. Personally, I begin it with two parentheses and end with two more parentheses ((like so)), but I’ve seen some people use braces and brackets also. Just be sure to mark it somehow, it’s easier than just saying, “OOC:” or something. Still, try not to use it at all, unless absolutely necessary.

10. POST HERE FREQUENTLY. Everyone try to post before I post again or else you won’t get as many turns as other people, and you won’t be able to do more. If you miss posting for three (maybe two) of the times after my ‘results’ replies, I will probably PM you about it.

11. If you want to resign from the RP (of course, I’m not saying I want you to), then send me a PM or leave me a comment saying that you do, and I will eliminate your character somehow, and you do not have to RP any longer, but don’t just up and disappear. Do the same thing if you will be absent for a long period of time.

12. If you have any questions or requests, DO NOT post them here in the topic. PM\e-mail them to me. If there is anything you do not know about the Empire, or have any sort of question about the world, feel free to ask me. If my PM box is full when you try to send it, just leave a comment in my profile saying you have a question about IDS, and I will clean it out.

13. Now for a VERY IMPORTANT rule about the stats system. There are certain elements in this RP that will be controlled by one (or, sometimes, multiple) of the stats that your character has. If you are trying to lift a very heavy object, for instance, I will determine (by rolling a Strength check for you) if you lifted the object or not. For some situations, this can be determined immediately (such as if you have exceptionally high Strength), but in most situations I will determine, very fairly, whether or not you can lift that object, charm that person into giving you information (which would be a Charisma check), dodged that arrow (which would be an Agility check), if you are tough enough to still walk after being shot in the leg (which would be an Endurance check), if you’re smart enough to get a hint at how a puzzle works (which would be an Intelligence check), or if you observe something strange about someone (which would be a Perception check). Also, know that Luck will be a very frequently rolled stat, and whereas I’ll usually inform you if you had to make a stat check for something, there will be no indication that you ever made a Luck check… but you might be able to tell by the result of the occurrence. It’d probably be in your best interest to work with someone (or different people with varied stats) with stats that will go well with yours (in other words, if you have low Strength, it’d be smart to work with someone who has high Strength, etc.).

14. If I forgot any rules, I will come back to this topic and add them, and at the beginning of my reply I will note the fact that I have edited the rules. If I say I have, go immediately to the first post and read the new rule(s).

15. If you don’t understand any of the rules in this list, PM me with your question(s) about them BEFORE you post.

16. A very important rule: EVERYONE READ ALL OF THE POSTS IN THIS TOPIC (unless told otherwise), except for my individual reply sections to each player in one of my large reply posts – in that case, only read the section of the post designated to the results of your actions (it will be marked with your account name in bold and italics) This is to make sure that all of you KNOW what is going on.

17. This isn’t a rule, but you must understand something about my internet connection. You see, if we download too much, about, oh say, 200 MB in a twenty-four hour period, then they turn out internet connection off for twenty-four more hours. So, if I don’t reply for about a day or two, my internet connection is the most likely reason. Also, this RP may take a while for all of you to resolve, so everyone be prepared to POST ACTIVELY.

18. Remember that your character can die. I will NOT kill you because I dislike you (because you know I don’t dislike any of you); it depends ENTIRELY on your character’s actions in the RP. All deaths will depend on what is going on in the game, not due to some OOC quarrel or anything like that. If your character dies, I’m sorry, but it’s this simple: all deaths will be a result of certain things that your character does. Don’t blame me if you were crazy enough to try to charm a gang boss’s wife while he was present. Think over all of your actions thoroughly and make your choices very carefully to survive.
And finally, that’s the end of the rules, but like I said I might update them in case I forgot something. For now, here is your gold… keep track of it!:

Perspective – Lukas Galen – 70 Imperial gold coins
Lightning Bolt – Rufus Aceredous – 65 Imperial gold coins
Scorch – Marcus Strath – 60 Imperial gold coins
Psychic-Monk – Jared Mason – 70 Imperial gold coins
Sir_Muffonious – Alexander Muffonious – 75 Imperial gold coins
Okularis – Seth Radcliff – 65 Imperial gold coins
Rdda ‘Cirom – Gabriel Drake – 70 Imperial gold coins
Horatio – Julius Kraetus – 85 Imperial gold coins
Colonel Halicon – Samuel Miller – 65 Imperial gold coins
Mercutio – Decimus Aurelius Aculeo – 90 Imperial gold coins
Blood-snake – Orius Falconus – 85 Imperial gold coins
HJC – Varn Endres – 65 Imperial gold coins
Jayhenn – Jayson Riule – 55 Imperial gold coins
Darth-Dos – Kade Kariv – 80 Imperial gold coins
Saber-Scorpion – Roderick Helsinger – 70 Imperial gold coins
Saber-Scorpion – Lady Septima – 150 Imperial gold coins
Scorchy – Darren Clough – 65 Imperial gold coins
Deceptus – Thomas Casas – 70 Imperial gold coins
Werewolf – Bruce McShane – 75 Imperial gold coins
Werewolf – Walter Baldric – 80 Imperial gold coins
Werewolf – Tom Mitchell – 80 Imperial gold coins
Werewolf – Jerrel Mitchell – 65 Imperial gold coins
Werewolf – Magnus Sullivan – 75 Imperial gold coins

Also, don’t be scared to death of my characters, or anything (which, as I recall, did occur in some of my earlier RPs – some of you were afraid I would bring the wrath of one of the LotF protagonists upon you, I suppose).
In closing, I’ll wish you all good luck and early apologies to whoever might die in the course of the RP.
Now, without further ado, let Wylfgard – In Death’s Shadow begin!))

EVERYONE:

Midday. While the sun would normally be blazing hot overhead, the cold breeze of late winter is strong in the air, enough to combat the sun’s scorching rays…
You are a member of Illikon’s guard force, under the command of a certain Captain Walter Baldric.
You are aware that, lately, gruesome murders have been taking place throughout the southern district of the city. The tremendous, walled city of Illikon is divided into three large, primary sections:
North Illikon, or the Monument District, which earned its name through the many statues and monuments there, the uppermost district of the city and the home of many nobles, merchants, and other influential men, most of whom live in wealthy estates…
Central Illikon, or the Central Quarter, the middle area of the city, which is home to many of the city’s shops, inns, taverns, the barracks, the city’s largest guard outpost, Castle Illikon, and many other important structures…
Illikon Port, or the Docks District, the easternmost area of Illikon and home to the largest port in all the Empire…
Lastly, there’s South Illikon, or the Needy District (though it is more commonly known as the Slums District, especially among the residents of that district), the home of many commoners and poor folk. The Slums is easily the most dangerous section of the entire city.
It is this district that Captain Baldric most commonly operates and, being under his command, where you usually work as well. Lately, however, many guard captains and other commanders have been spending the majority of their time in the Slums due to the killings.

You are currently in a guardhouse in the Slums, assembled with a group of what you estimate to be around eighteen other guards. Before all of you is Captain Walter Baldric, a rather short, blue-eyed man with light brown hair and a mustache.
“Alright,” Walter Baldric begins his briefing, “as I’m sure you already know, the crime in this city has reached an incredible level, and recently a lot of the break-ins, robberies, kidnappings, murders, and various other crimes, have led back to several different gangs.
“But this isn’t the most important thing going on in the city right now. The people of Illikon have labeled a recent series of killings the ‘sewer murders,’ for the killers are body snatchers that drag their victims into sewer grates. Following them hasn’t gotten us much anywhere, since the blood trails are lost to all the muck in the sewers, and searching them has led to nothing so far.
“In other words, it’s time for us to investigate some of our suspects. In this situation, it’s better if we worked either in small groups or alone. We need to cover as much ground as we can – we must find out who’s behind all this before things get any worse. The evidence we have is little, and it’s also rather patchy, but recent events have left us no choice to follow it. Here are the suspects…

“First is a pair of criminals called the Golak Brothers: Samuel, or ‘Sammy’ as some people call him, and Darwin. Don’t even ask me where to begin your investigation of these two – as much as we’d like to find proof against them, for any of the various crimes we believe they’ve done, it’s been almost impossible. Those of you who plan to investigate the Golak Brothers should do so with extreme caution… the Golak Gang is one of the strongest in all the city. It’ll take us a while to bring them down, but not if we can find sufficient evidence that links them to these murders… and, of course, a confession wouldn’t hurt either. The only evidence we’ve found that links them to these murders is a severed finger in one of the houses attacked by the body snatchers: it bore a ring with the Golak symbol upon it.”
“What if the finger belonged to the person who got dragged off?” inquires Lieutenant Bruce McShane, a guard most all of you know as being rather… rebellious. “The Golak Brothers won’t take much crap from us in the first place, but if it was one o’ their men who got killed and we try to interrogate them they’re gonna be even more pissed.”
“I’ve thought over that, Lieutenant,” Captain Baldric answers. “As I said, I know our suspects aren’t the strongest in the world, but they’re the only possibilities we have and it’d be best to investigate each as thoroughly as we can… without getting into too much trouble.

“Now, our next suspect is a very shady man who goes by many names, the most common of which is Farran. He seems to have some sort of connections to various gangs, and he’s been providing us with a lot of information on them… for a price. Farran can’t ever be found in any particular place, it seems, and I’m not sure where exactly his house is or if he even has one. We don’t have any solid evidence against Farran, but a commoner by the name of Al Robson claims that he saw Farran entering the sewers through one of the grates in the street.

“Thirdly, I’m sure many of you have heard of a certain woman that lives here in the southern district… her name is Muirghael, and rumor has it that she is a witch. She must be thoroughly investigated to make sure that she has not committed these crimes for some heinous reason or another, such as having human beings to experiment on with the magic many claims she uses.

“Our fourth suspect is Duane Blake, the local lamplighter. We’ve always known him to be a rather fishy fellow, and he usually spends his entire day either sleeping or drinking in the Silver Stein, the inn and tavern in the Central Quarter, right near the main gates of the city. Still, he gets his job done and doesn’t really complain about it. Always being out at night and working in the specific region where the sewer murders have been taking place, however, leaves him a suspect.

“Finally, our fifth suspect is, believe it or not, an Imperial soldier by the name of Nado Pari…”
You barely manage to hear McShane mutter a quite unsavory curse at the mention of this suspect, but why, you are unsure.
“Nado is a suspect not only due to his lack of respect, but also for reporting in very late every morning ever since the sewer killings began. According to Jerrel Mitchell,” Walter motions to one of the guards standing among you, who looks almost embarrassed as most everyone shoots a glance at him, “he was seen walking the streets at night out of his military attire and speaking to another one of our suspects: Farran.

“Finally, our last suspect is a dwarf named Norlandi, brother of the blacksmith Jhyvarr. Norlandi is a suspect not only due to being a dwarf, something rarely seen in the Empire due to being native to the North and often preferring to avoid humans, but also due to his clear, albeit rather slight, dislike for the Empire. Not only this, but a man who had been openly hateful of Norlandi was one of the victims of the sewer killer – the murdered man’s name had been Michael Blaine, and the day before he was killed Blaine and Norlandi were caught fighting in the street in front of Blaine’s home.

“Now, I don’t care who you investigate first, but those are our suspects. There are several places they are likely to be found…
“The Golak Gang is spread all throughout the Slums, and the Golak Brothers themselves will be difficult to locate. Information on their location must be gathered through some other means, such as speaking with members of their gang… but it will be difficult to get close to them. One such member you could use is a merchant named Frank Duncan, who runs a small supply store in the Slums. Though I recommend caution when you go to the Golak Gang, I think they’re involved in these killings somehow, one way or another, and should most certainly be investigated.
“Norlandi can probably be found in his home, which is in the Central Quarter, right beside his brother Jhyvarr’s blacksmith shop, in Jhyvarr’s shop, or in the Silver Stein.
“Muirghael can probably be found in her home, a small place here in the Slums. I’m not sure of any other places she goes with any regularity.
“Nado Pari can either be found on duty, probably around the main gates, which are in the Central Quarter, or in his home, which is in the Slums.
“Duane Blake can either be found in his home, which is in the Slums, in a tavern somewhere – probably the Silver Stein, which is in the Central Quarter, near the main gates – or on duty, which could be most anywhere in the Slums.
“Finally, Farran is known to not stay in any particular place at any given time, since I’m not sure if he has a home or not. I have no idea where you’d manage to find him – it’s probably best if you asked around.”

Captain Walter Baldric finally pauses, sighing heavily.
“Gods, I’m nearly out of breath… but that’s all that needs to be said. I suggest you copy down the suspect names and the information I gave on them onto some sort of parchment, unless you have an excellent memory, and so you’ll have something to refer to while investigating the suspects.
“Remember, be very careful – we have no idea who the killer could be, or what any of these men could be up to, whether it’s the real crime we’re investigating them for or not. It doesn’t matter to me who you investigate first or last – or if any of you want to work together, which would probably be an excellent idea, as long as you kept your numbers rather small – just as long as you do it carefully and without any kind of abuse or breaking of the law, which I’m sure you’re used to by now.
“Keep in mind that I will also be conducting my own investigations, but all of you should report back to me when you have some very important information, or if you think you have found enough evidence against someone for them to be tried for the sewer murders… but do that only if, and I mean only if, you have enough solid evidence to bring them in.
“I wish all of you the best of luck… now let’s get to work.”

With that, he dismisses you from the guardhouse, and everyone moves out into the street. The sun is still high for now, and you are surrounded by your fellow guards, except for Captain Walter Baldric, who is still inside the guardhouse.
If you wish to speak with any of them before you begin your investigations – such as to ask one, two, or maybe even three of them to work with you to find one of the suspects – you had best do it now…
But don’t delay for long. The sewer murderer is still out there, somewhere… and wherever he is, he’s moving and planning as you do.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Dr Blood-Snake

Dr Blood-Snake

There are no men like me

• Nova Member
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:02 AM

Orius set off down the street, he already knew who he was going for, Duane Blake.

It wasn't that he thought the man particularly suspect, in fact he considered the 'Witch Woman' a much more likely candidate...which is why he was staying away. Whoever did those murders was extremely talented.

Orius turned a corner, heading for the Silver Stein. Despite being of gentle birth Orius knew the are surprisingly well. Captain Baldric wasn't the only one to conduct thorough investigations in the slums.

Orius soon found himself at the door to the Silver Stein, he reflected, briefly, that he probably shouldn't be wearing his Imperial Guard uniform then went inside.

"Do you still love her?"
"Almost as much as I hate her."

#3 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:03 AM

Lukas Galen leaned back against the wall of the guardhouse and fumbled with a tobacco pouch and pipe. He eventually managed to light it and took a long draw from it. This investigation would, he suspected, take quite a while. Some of those guys are dangerous, he thought, and then looked at his trusty, if battered, sword. Still, he would probably want a partner. Galen looked around the crowd, hoping to find someone who wouldn't mind working with an old copper like him.

#4 HJC

HJC

Master Specialist

• 705 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:08 AM

Varn came out the guardhouse with an overly jovial aura around him. He leaned against the wall on the right side of the door fingering the hilt of his shortsword. He knew the South District pretty well. He had grown up their, but he missed things. He knew it himself. Sometimes he was so focused he didnt pick things up. This was why he thought having a fellow or two with him would be helpful. He could navigate and help while the other could be leader or something. Making up his mind on the spot, he stepped away from the way and called through the guards- "Anyone want to join me. I know the South District like the back of my hand."

#5 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:11 AM

Rufus Aceredous grinned around at everyone in the sunlight. He looked around, thinking of all the names he had heard. Farran sounded like the man he would want to investigate. That one just sounded wrong. Everything about him was suspicious. He may need help, though, like it or not. He still needed to figure out where he was. No, I'll ask one of the guards for help once I've got a lead, he though, heading over to a tavern nearby. If there was anyone who knew anything, it was there.

#6 Scorchy

Scorchy

Darkness falls; here comes the rain.

• Nova Member
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:18 AM

Mental cogs were whirring inside Darren Clough's head. This 'Farran' Character sounded like he would no the most information, and possibly be guilty of the murders. If not, he could perhaps provide information as to where the Gorrak Brothers were. But, of course, it seemed he was an illusive fellow. However, the captain had just said that he had seen a guard, Nado Pari, talking with the man... Perhaps he could shed some light on the first few steps to the truth.
Darren went to address the room, "Listen people. I think that through Nado Pari, we can gain leads on several suspects. But, if we all pile on to him now, he's gonna get suspicious. I'm gonna go look for him on the wall, if Captain says he could be there. Can the rest of you kinda stay out of the way while I question him?" Not sure how most of them would respond, or if all had been listening he let the question lie.

((Scorch, do you wanna come and help me question Nado Pani? I think he could be an important lead.))

-Scorchy-

"Many people have died for their beliefs; it's actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe." – Brom (Eragon pg.197)

#7 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (Perspective @ Aug 1 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lukas Galen leaned back against the wall of the guardhouse and fumbled with a tobacco pouch and pipe. He eventually managed to light it and took a long draw from it. This investigation would, he suspected, take quite a while. Some of those guys are dangerous, he thought, and then looked at his trusty, if battered, sword. Still, he would probably want a partner. Galen looked around the crowd, hoping to find someone who wouldn't mind working with an old copper like him.

Alexander Muffonious spotted Lukas Galen leaning against the wall and looking around at the crowd of people a little nervously, though he didn't know exactly why. Muffonious never had been one who was good with people his own age, much better talking to people of older or younger nature, especially children. Since Galen was the first person he noticed out of everyone else, Muffonious moved towards him.
"It's a beautiful day to investigate a murder," Muffonious said, shielding his eyes from the sun, then he realized that this was a foolish thing to say and that above all he probably sounded creepy and strange. "Eh, what I meant was that for a such a gloomy occasion, the nice day certainly makes up for it, don't you agree?" Muffonious was quite certain he had saved his reputation and was proud of himself. "I've already picked my first investigation target, do you want to assist me?"

Posted Image

#8 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:29 AM

Lukas put away his pipe after one last draw and squinted over at the man - one Alexander Muffonious - a slightly taller man than Galen and also younger. It was a damn bright day, and the wind was picking up to that harsh, cool weather he'd started to become accustomed to. "First off, who are you thinking of?"

#9 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (Perspective @ Aug 1 2008, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lukas put away his pipe after one last draw and squinted over at the man - one Alexander Muffonious - a slightly taller man than Galen and also younger. It was a damn bright day, and the wind was picking up to that harsh, cool weather he'd started to become accustomed to. "First off, who are you thinking of?"

"Norlandi," Muffonious replied quickly. "I don't think that he's responsible for these crimes, but I figure that he's easy to find and investigate, and once we decide whether or not he's responsible, more guards can devote their efforts to finding the real criminal. If he's not at his house, we just go ask his brother where he is, and it's that simple."

Posted Image

#10 MS_DOS

MS_DOS

You're going to die anyway, so let me kill you.

• Banned
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:37 AM

I don't know what's worse, that stench from the slums, or the fact we ain't getting paid enough to wade about in those sewers for Gods knows how long, I'll be damned if I go down there again in a hurry.

Kade shielded his eyes from the bright light, whilst trying to figure out his next course of action, wander through the slums collecting some more bribes from the lowlife gangs and claim he's been gathering information, or to do his job. kade didn't suspect any foul play, things just rolled together, if the murderer can't be found, just lock up the guy with the most motive. His actions were like flipping a coin, all down to chance, heads it was bribes, tails, it was go to work. He mentally chose heads, and pulled out one of his coins and flipped it, catching it in his hand.

"Tails... well, another cold, dank day in hell I suppose" He grunted, and let the coin fall back into his satchel, kept right beside his sword, with good reason, any number of scum would try to pickpocket, some even accidentaly sliced open their hands on the sword edge... well, when it was deliberatly left out of the sheath for that reason.

Kad kicked a small stone into a puddle of stagnant water. Beside him, several of his fellow guards stood, chatting, obviously about the murder, it was like planning a major military offensive, people took it too seriously.

You need to think like a murderer to catch a murderer...

"Ah, stuff it, I can probably find out somethin' or other about where people are at, if I take less from those filthy gangsters" Kade thought out loud, but not too loud mind, he didn't want the others to know he let some things slip for the promise of easy money... in fact, most times it was too easy, like forging his own gold. Kade sighed, and grasped the hilt of his sword with his right hand, and began another patrol of the slums, maybe he'd get lucky today, and make some more than he usualy did. Kade chuckled to himself and remembered luck wasn't exactly his strong point.

"Brawn not brain m'lad" is what his father would tell him, "Lippy is what you is, not lucky, you fillin' yer head with nonsense, it'll rot a brain my boy." Kade smiled, his father was quite the character, becoming more and more eccentric with age, but not once did his forging skills falter, in fact, the very sword Kade had with him was forged in his father's workshop, the old man was good in life and work, kade thought perhaps he could give up all this bribery, but to him, free money is a very hard thing to refuse. He dissapeared into the streets, watching his back to make sure he wasn't followed, or stabbed for that matter...

Edited by MS_DOS, 01 August 2008 - 05:38 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (Sir_Muffonious @ Aug 1 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Norlandi," Muffonious replied quickly. "I don't think that he's responsible for these crimes, but I figure that he's easy to find and investigate, and once we decide whether or not he's responsible, more guards can devote their efforts to finding the real criminal. If he's not at his house, we just go ask his brother where he is, and it's that simple."

"Good thinking," replied Galen. "Perhaps first we should ask his brother if Norlandi had been involved in any .. unusual activities?"

#12 Rdda 'Cirom

Rdda 'Cirom

Occidental Otaku

• 275 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:11 AM

Gabriel silently looked around at the guards in the surrounding crowd. It would probably be a better idea to travel in a small group, like the captain had suggested. Having the extra guard would also help in case a suspect became hostile.
No, having another guard with me might hinder me if I had to sneak around, Gabriel thought. True, the other guard may not be as agile as him, which would ruin the point of stealth, but he didn't have time to ask another guard if he were dexterous; the sewer murderer was still out there, and it was their duty to apprehend him before anything worse could happen. Gabriel quickly decided to pursue Nado first, for no specific reason. He was about to be on his way to the main gates in the Central Quarter, but then...
"Listen people. I think that through Nado Pari, we can gain leads on several suspects." One of the guards, Darren, announced. "But, if we all pile on to him now, he's gonna get suspicious. I'm gonna go look for him on the wall, if Captain says he could be there. Can the rest of you kinda stay out of the way while I question him?"
"May I join your group?" Gabriel asked Darren quietly and politely.

Edited by Rdda 'Cirom, 01 August 2008 - 06:38 AM.

Mal: You all were watching, I take it?
Kaylee: (reluctantly) Yes.
Mal: Did you see us fight?
Kaylee: No.
Mal: TRAP!

#13 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:27 AM

((Note that this is just me posting as Bruce, not a big reply post. But just to help direct you guys: you're doing fine so far. Although some of you should specify to me exactly where you're going (as in, who you're going to investigate) for when I make my first big results post.))

Bruce glanced around at the other guards, all of whom were chattering amongst themselves... he stood listening to them, lost in thought, trying to plan who he would go after... and if he would take any of the other guards with him when he did.
Then, Bruce began to glance around at the others, trying to decide who he would want to go with, if anyone. He was almost ready to just work alone.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#14 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:50 AM

Without much time to lose, Muffonious and Galen set off towards Jhyvarr’s blacksmith shop where they found Norlandi's house, just where it should be. Muffonious knew that Dwarves could be easily tempered, so he made a note of it not to put his hand on the hilt of his sword, and not to accuse Norlandi directly about the crimes. Muffonious kindly suggested that Galen do the same, then knocked on Norlandi's door.

Posted Image

#15 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

Decimus had set off practically straight after the conference with Baldric had ended, heading out into the slums and making a roundabout journey towards Norlandi's house. In his experience, people saw you and your shiny armour and they'd simply be fawning over you to tell you what they saw last night, or last weekend, or what their neighbour has been doing .. sadly, or perhaps luckily, he didn't get approached, and got to Norlandi's house post haste.

As Decimus rounded the corner he saw Galen and Muffonious standing near the door, ready to knock. He should have known. He had great respect for the pair of them, although Muffonious' constant ramblings tended to get on his nerves. Galen, on the other hand, was quiet, efficient, and kept his mind to the job. The perfect guard. Just before they knocked, he spoke up.
"It seems we're after the same target. I suppose it won't hurt to drop in behind you."

http://threemileisland.forumotion.org/

http://enfiladedefilade.blogspot.com/

#16 Horatio

Horatio

El Taco de Muertos

• Nova Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:18 AM

Julius silently mulled over all the information his captain had given him as some of his fellow guards walked off. This Farran fellow seems like he might know a thing or two about this, he thought. I'll try looking for him in a few bars. The Silver Stein is as good a place to starts as any, I suppose.. He walked off through the Slums in the direction of the bar.
"This one's for distance, and FOR GLORY!" -Adam Savage

L'chaim!

#17 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

Galen started as he heard the voice, and put his hand on his sword. Looking back, however, he saw that the person was Decimus Aculeo, another guard.
"That's fine by me. What say you, Muffonious?"

#18 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

Seated against a wall in a dark alley across the street from the guardhouse, Roderick Helsinger could clearly see the guards milling about, many of them holding papers...

He licked his lips. He knew that without a place to start, his hunt for the monster would likely lead nowhere. Which, of course, the culprit behind the sewer murders was clearly a monster. Why else would it drag its victims away except to devour them?

The first time he spotted a guard walking off - a rather pale and skinny one with black hair ((Blood-Snake)) - the monster hunter immediately ran to follow him. Roderick may not have been the best swordfighter in the realms, but he was a fast runner. As he noticed the general direction his mark was taking, he decided he must be headed for the Silver Stein. Setting off at a fast pace, Roderick rushed to beat him there.

When the monster hunter emerged in the tavern, he immediately slid into the nearest table, trying to remain inconspicuous. Once the guard entered and began scanning the room, Roderick lazily scanned him for sign of the paper he was carrying. It was probably in a pouch on his belt. For a moment, the hunter considered simply trying to pickpocket him, but the guard, despite being a bit on the thin side, had very keen eyes. He would probably be spotted. Still, he really wanted to get a look at that list...

Then, his luck changed. Another guard entered the room, one that he remembered also seeing at the guardhouse with a list of suspects ((Horatio)). This one was a more muscular fellow with a goatee. His expression was easygoing, confident... he probably could hold his own in a fight, but he might not be as perceptive of a potential pickpocket.

Waiting for just the right moment, when his mark was unawares, Roderick stood up and prepared to make his move...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#19 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

Sam, keeping his mind on the investigation, desided it would be best to head over to question the dwarf, Norlandi. Sam was quite positive that he would be in his house if he did commit a crime. Because if he was, he was probabely getting rid of evidence, pondering what to do next, or, if he had accomplished these things, be in hiding. That was his experience at least. Once again, he set off on a crime solving spree, doing the city another service. His fellow guards went other places, to question other people. A good thing, as it would help shorten their list of suspects.

The moment he arrived at the front door of Norlandi's house, conveniantly placed next to the easily recognizable Jhyvarr's smithy, which apparently had two fellow guards already their, knocking on their. And who wouldn't recognize the noble Muffonious and ill-tempered Lukas? Also witht them, was another guard speaking with them, and judging by the way he held himself, it was the snotty Decimus. Well, since they appeared ot have it covered, Sam decided to go to Jhyvarr's smithy instead, in case he doubled back or if he was already their.

Sam strode to the door, pushed it open, and entered whilst being blasted with the forge's heat and the smell of various metals.

#20 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

((Just to let you all know, I've decided to mark all non-combat ability checks in yellow, and all combat-related ability checks in orange.))

Blood-snake: You find the Silver Stein to be a bit above average in terms of taverns, for you see that a few of its inhabitants are rather well-dressed and equally mannered, though there are still a few patrons who match the description of your average gritty, seedy drunkard.
As you look over the patrons within for anyone in a guard uniform, you quickly spot a well-muscled man sitting alone at a small, round table in the far, upper left corner of the tavern - you recognize him as the lampligher, a man you sometimes see on the streets at night. As you approach him, he looks up at you with what could only be an at least mildly intoxicated stare.
"Hello there," slurs Duane Blake. "What'cha want, huh?"

HJC: It seems no one is replying to you - except one.
"Sure, I'll come with you," Jerrel Mitchell says as he steps forward, spear in hand. "Who do you wanna investigate first? I was thinking the Golak Gang, but they sound pretty dangerous... especially if it'll just be the two of us."

Lightning Bolt: You step into a rather seedy tavern near the guardhouse, the sign of which reads The Flogged Donkey - and many of the patrons look the type who would flog a donkey. You notice the building quiets very mildly as you step inside, as if some men were silenced by your very presence. You stand tall over most all the inhabitants of the place, many of which are eyeing you now, including the bartender, who speaks as you approach.
"What'll ya have?" inquires the short and rotund bartender, who verily reeks of ale and sweat.

Scorchy, Rdda 'Cirom, and Scorch: ((I'll just let you guys talk to each other...))

MS_DOS: You are currently undisturbed as you wander in the Slums, though you see many commoners on the streets around you, as always - none of them, however, give you much of a second glance, instead going about their business.

Sir_Muffonious, Perspective, and Mercutio: Before Muffonious can reply to Galen's inquiry, the door is opened, and a hazel-eyed dwarf with a thick and finely-kept grey beard peeks out at all of you - you know in an instant this must be Norlandi.
He gives a quiet, but gruff, mutter at the three of you. "Guards on my doorstep, eh?" he says, pulling the door open to reveal his simple, commoner attire and the inside of his cozy little home. "I heard ye talkin' out here 'n' wondered what was goin' on... so, g'day," he adds quickly, clearly forgetting his manners. "Can I help ye, sirs?"

Horatio: You find the Silver Stein to be a bit above average in terms of taverns, for you see that a few of its inhabitants are rather well-dressed and equally mannered, though there are still a few patrons who match the description of your average gritty, seedy drunkard... as you approach the bar, the bartender - a surprisingly clean looking, jovial-faced man - looks up at you from cleaning a tankard.
"Greetin's," says he. "What'll it be, sir?"

Saber-Scorpion: You find your opportunity while the man's back is turned, and you step carefully forward, picking the man's pockets...

Roderick performs pick-pocket on Julius
Roderick - Agility Check - 8
Julius - Pereption Check - 8
Roderick - Luck Check - 9
Julius - Luck Check - 5
Pick-Pocket Attempt Success - Undetected; Julius is unaware of your pick-pocket
Roderick has successfully performed pick-pocket on Julius

You move nonchalantly away from the man again with the desired papers in your hands. As you read over them, you learn of the many suspects the guards are investigating... the Gollak Gang, Norlandi, Muirghael, Nado Pari, Duane Blake, and Farran.

Colonel Halicon: You see a dwarf wearing brown pants and a matching vest, his face and muscular arms shining with sweat from hard work, standing behind a dwarf-sized counter just across from the doorway. He has a large, thick, dark grey beard and green eyes that sparkle with energy.
Hanging on the walls, or on racks, on either side of you are many kinds of weapons, armor, and useful metal tools... you can tell this dwarf works very hard to keep his shop in stock.
"Greetin's, laddie," says the grey-bearded dwarf who stands behind his counter. "Here for a weapon or shield? Perhaps a custom order?"

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users